Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 14:34
Oh dear me. This is really weird. I'll take a look at it tonight, but I didn't get any of these problems

What devices are you running it on?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 15:17
There's no rush needed on my part, I'm just intrigued to understand the problem.

I'm using a Nexus 4, I can also try a ZTE Blade III when my daughter gets home from school.

I'll also try different eyes
I wear glasses which I have to keep on for the goggles to work. It's fine with the rollercoaster demo which I'm using as my reference point. The scene stretches from 3 feet in front of you to hundreds of metres away, and it all works. I have noticed that there is no local Z-rotation in their apps.

I'll get my children to try it too.
By tomorrow I should have feedback on 2 devices x 3 users.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 20:27
Steve, I see what you mean. I tried it again and while the objects at distance are fine for me, the objects up close are offset somewhat. I'll need to do some more testing to figure this one out.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2014 20:36 Edited at: 12th Nov 2014 20:37
I think it could probably be fixed with the FOV. The objects need to move apart at the correct rate over distance from the camera. If FOV is to large or small, your Eyes will be incorrectly focused.

Just a guess, I tried a couple of changes but didn't get the right setting

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 20:15
Just had a look at this and think I might have found a solution. Try setting the camera aspect ratio before rendering the half size render images with

which solves some distortion when tilting your head, and secondly I'm not sure the exact calculation for determining eye positions with quaternions so I made AppGameKit do the math with

which seems to work better for all but the closest of objects, probably fixed with a smaller eye distance.

Good work on the demo!
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2014 21:58
Cheers Paul! I'll try these bits out.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 18:47
There is a very noticeable 'wobble' when tilting your head up or down (x axis rotation). I suspect this is caused by the influence of the gyro. It is possible to filter out the wobble by adding the accelerometers into the head tacking mix. Also, it is possible to include the mag-meter to improve y axis tracking. I have read some great articles on sensor fusion for head tracking and I'll see if I can come up with some functions for us to use with AppGameKit to give us some rock solid head tracking.

My £1.95 Cardboard kit arrived today (much sooner than I was expecting)! I'll post up a review and some pics of the build a bit later.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2014 21:34 Edited at: 14th Nov 2014 21:35
There is a very noticeable \'wobble\' when tilting your head up or down (x axis rotation). I suspect this is caused by the influence of the gyro. It is possible to filter out the wobble by adding the accelerometers into the head tacking mix. Also, it is possible to include the mag-meter to improve y axis tracking. I have read some great articles on sensor fusion for head tracking and I\'ll see if I can come up with some functions for us to use with AppGameKit to give us some rock solid head tracking.

My £1.95 Cardboard kit arrived today (much sooner than I was expecting)! I\'ll post up a review and some pics of the build a bit later.

EDIT: Here it is. A £1.95 cardboard kit. TBH, the card is quite thin, and the lenses are smaller than they probably should be (they keep falling out!) - and the focal length of the lenses isn't quite right, but for the price I can't complain! Not a bad starter kit for anyone on a serious budget!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 00:59
Quote: "TBH, the card is quite thin, and the lenses are smaller than they probably should be (they keep falling out!) - and the focal length of the lenses isn't quite right, but for the price I can't complain!"

The ones my brother and I bought from tinydeals.com in China were/are really good. The cardboard is thick and strong, the lenses are fine and we didn't notice anything wrong with the focal distance. And they only cost $3. Including postage. Sometimes China is awesome

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 16:23
Why not go plastic fantastic?

http://www.durovis.com/index.html

Works like a charm!

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2014 01:21
Quote: "Why not go plastic fantastic?"

Because it's 27 times as expensive as the cardboard version

Le Verdier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2014 19:36
I had just received mine:

I will try to do something later with AGK...

All hail the new flesh
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2014 09:03
Quote: "I had just received mine:"

Awesome! I wish I could afford a better-than-Cardboard headset!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 06:53:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 06:53:05