Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Creating/scripting a user entity

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2014 22:30
Greets;

I'm looking for help for creating/scripting a particular entity. What I want is a

dynamic double metal gate (left and right sections), set so that they both

open at the same time in the same direction. I've tried using the Entity Maker

and playing with the scripts myself, but I'm not getting the results I want.

Being pretty much a beginner, I'll need direction on how to create all the raw

data (.X and .dds/.tga files) and how to write and/or modify the .fpi file (ie:

maybe modify the dooruse.fpi?). I'm not REALLY asking for someone to do

the work for me, just someone to mentor me on the procedures.

TYIA

"No matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2014 17:56
Hi RJsDad and welcome.
As far as creating a dynamic double metal gate that opens, did you model this gate already with "joints/bones" and animated it? If not, a good place to start is to read up on entity/character creation in the Official Comm. Guide. It's in your "Doc's" folder.
If it's not there, here is a link..http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=170978&b=21&msg=2025564#m2025564
The "Guide" uses two modeling softwares. One is "Milkshape" the other is "Fragmotion" Both are cheap and have demos. Another is "Blender", free but a little harder to use. The "Comm. Guide"
had lots of examples showing how to make & export models for use
in FPSC.
After getting started and you run into a problem (note trial and error is the key here to success and understanding) post what problem you have and we'll be glad to help. Make afew boxes,crates,tables..ect then move on to an "animated gate".
Almost forgot, here is a link to a great Milkshape tutorial
from Anayar (making a Mailbox)http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=188232&b=24
This is a start to finish tutorial.
Best luck

You know you're a bad gamer when you're able to run out of infinite lives.
RJsDad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2014 22:01
ncmako....

Thanx for the reply, and I'll certainly give modeling a try at some point - I already have Blender - but I'm going to leave that for when I have the time to get REALLY SERIOUS about all this. In the meantime, I have come up with a trick or two that satisfies my modest needs for now......

I used the Entity Maker to create separate left & right dynamic entities using the gates from Model Pack 3 as a template; played with the sound & texture and when you lay everything in FPSC (along with fence segments I d/l from the forum) I got a pretty darn good double-gate effect. Plus, I tinkered around and discovered that if you stand in JUST the right spot, JUST close enough to the gate, when you hit enter, they both swing open like they were designed to.

:

I will try and get some screenshots up and maybe post the files. And perhaps one day, when I'm feelin' froggy, I'll whip up something way more fancy.

p.s.: If it hadn't been your reply, though, I'd have never gotten so creative; thanks again!

No matter where you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Banzai

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-22 07:57:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-22 07:57:48