Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9]Kshatriya Challenges: File 001

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 12:34 Edited at: 9th Jan 2016 04:10
Developer: Bugsy

Storyline: A few months ago, one of your handler's lieutenants was robbed of several ounces of MDMA, a drug that is nigh impossible to find in the 22nd century (and because of this, very profitable to those with a supply). The culprit was discovered to be Trenton Grey when he contacted Nnijah Stone, one of the few people possessing a doctorate level knowledge in organic chemistry that wasn't currently employed by the government. Her last employer was your handler, Isaac Preston. The Job- Synthesizing the very batch that was stolen. Your job is simple: Kill Trenton Grey, and escape.

Description: Unlike the last episode Prologue, which was a much different game favoring spectacle and showcasing my level designs, this episode favors a more "gameplay centric" approach. The levels will be challenging to even expert FPSC forum lurkers as enemies keep coming and you aren't the toughest kid on the block. there are some doors with keys in unforgiving locations, box stacking puzzles that are downright rudimentary, and extremely difficult and technical parkouring and climbing required. along the way you will be rewarded with what I like to think are nice looking maps and cool little animations. I want the game to be an overall challenging experience.

Screenshots:

Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 12:35
forgot to put [X9] in the title, would a mod kindly change this for me?

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice looking screenshots man! I had been thinking of Kshatriya just today actually (I work at nights so I've been up waaay before this post). I can't wait to see this come to action!

The Birds - A narrated adventure.
Diablo Chateau
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 17:48
Looking great.

Don't waste your life
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 18:45
Our old Skybox finally found some love

This is very atmospheric and totally stylish!
I love how you mask the lack of shaders and other modern shennanigans with a mix of contrast and bright lightmapping. This looks wonderfully retromodern and has an intensly gritty feeling to it.
The naivety of "When Worlds Collide" has been ironed out.

I see that there is also the usual Bugsy© sense of scale.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2014 00:18
s4's 1.6 version has made the memorycap nigh unachievable in this level. I am not even relying heavily on atlas texturing. I hope to continue this scope in the coming levels. I am a little disappointed I couldn't double the size of the gameplay area, but next time around, with the atlas texturing (and perhaps FPSC-R) I can make something way bigger and better.

Thanks wolf! My favourite thing to do is to create large scale scenes in FPSC by working the gameplay very tightly into the scenery and making sure the path for the level leads the player through most of the geometry so that the gameplay lasts.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2014 12:30 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2014 12:34
Hey all. Having some trouble getting guns to export from 3ds max. the hands end up all spidery and untextured. if anyone has any ideas or suggestions to fix this, or has seen this problem before, let me know. I could really use some help, or I may not be able to put cool custom guns in this time around. sorry for the double post.

edit:
new screenshot

last one of level 1. I'm working on AI. if anyone has experience with this gun issue please get back with me.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2014 18:27
Excellent.

"You don't see 'im, till 'im come callin"
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
looking good

best s4real

Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2014 14:54
Thanks S4real- all thanks to your mod!
once again can anyone help me on the aforementioned issue?

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 06:24
I might will be able to help you with such a thing with the weapon. I would need to take a look at the file. what 3dmax are you using? like is it 2011 or 2012 or later.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 11:46
2012. do you have skype? do I have you on skype?

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 12:24 Edited at: 10th Aug 2014 01:48
yes

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2014 14:58
added you!

Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 18:49
Looks amazing

(Teabone)
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2014 00:29
If you ever get the chance, please replace that "Super Hotel". It has a thick MS Paint Aura around it

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2014 12:23
its based on an actual building:

but i guess i see what you mean

Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2014 01:55 Edited at: 28th Aug 2014 01:56
Nice work Bugsy, I thought this might possibly be useful to you.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2014 03:03
haha that most certainly would be useful to me for skyboxes. thanks

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 01:37
bump! new WIP pictures of level 2:

let me know what you think!

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 02:16 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2014 02:19
Looks cool, the colorful ones reminds me Deus Ex Human Revolution.. but don't you think that most of the signs are bleached out because of the bloom ?

Also, it seems that you have black areas under your scifi gantries, I'm pointing out this since you might want to correct this issue.

Other than that, keep it up.

Utinni !
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 02:22
Sadly that cannot be corrected since I'm using quick lightmapping. I've always used it and I'm not sure if changing it to quality will mess with s4's mod. as it is, this level takes me almost 10 minutes to play, and is about 1650mb. the signs are bleached due to the lights doing that. I kinda like it actually, lets me reuse signs more since you dont see the repetition as much when the lettering is obscure XD

Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 05:37 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2014 05:41
About the lightmapping, I have found that, whether it be quick lightmapping or full lightmapping, the quality are the same regardless of which ever option you choose, just that it takes more time to load a game using full lightmapping.

@Madcow, the black area below those scifi gantries cannot be corrected as they always have been there (unless Bugsy decides to retexture it).

@Bugsy, do you have any technique on making large scale buildings which are about 10 floors in actual height and are low poly? I am trying to make a cityscape (like a half decent remake of the 1st mission in MW3, or was it the second?). The buildings need to look actual in their placement and height (I can make some for myself), but, since I don't live in America and have never seen a building beyond 21 floors (or 22 floors, which one I forgot) I don't quite have the knowledge of making one. And I usually use SketchUp, but it's texturing is very bad. So, any suggestion on this?

For your reference an image has been attached.

Oh! I almost forgot!

The design looks good, but the design of Kshatriya Prologue seems to be much better on the interior (the exterior design looks better in this one).

Hope to have an above an hour FPSC experience. LOL!

Do you have any riggs from where I can borrow the skeleton (I have forgotten your post where you posted the new animations in a .bip file exemplifying a terrorist and I am too lazy too search for it)?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 06:15
I find that the tight density of hongkong and tokyo styled cities helps me make nice cities since it works for fpsc with the small size of the playable area. most of the buildings in my games are 4-13 segments, and the ones the player will touch are usually built from segments for culling and collision purposes. The best way to get time out of a large open outdoor area like that is to force the player to go up or down, rather than horizontal. that adds more navigation challenge to the level.

the black area of the scifi gantries can be corrected by using full lightmapping because they are transparent parts of a texture, on quick lighting, this is not processed in lightmapping calculations, so it renders the shadow as though the model were solid.

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 14:51
What about placing a very dark ( but with a long range ) light just below ?

Utinni !
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2014 20:07
all of my lights are very dark with long ranges haha. the issue is that would require a light for each segment, which is quite a bit of work and kind of wasteful. there are seams in between each one.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Interesting as always Bugsy. I've been messing around in other engines myself, waiting for a more suitable Reloaded... but its that simple game making that always brings me back to Classic. Hopefully this game kicks off pretty soon so I can get my hands on it!

Diablo Chateau
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2014 16:22
Thanks Bugsy for clarifying about the Full and Quick lightmapping options in FPSC.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2014 23:02
I'm proud to say that I recorded a playthough of level 2, and went the shorter way (there are multiple ways to go through every level/puzzle), and the level lasted 9 minutes. I'm not sure if I'm going to want to spend the time trying to make a trailer for this game, so if I don't I may just post the playthrough. I've never been able to make FPSC levels last this long, but this level does thanks to s4's mod zeta.

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2014 23:27
great to hear can't wait to play it man.alos if you take out the run button it may last longer .lol

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2014 00:01
really I like the run button for the ability to get around more quickly when u getting shot. kshatriya has regenerative health but you die pretty fast if you dont take cover.

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2014 02:42
yeah i understand that because i played the first one. I was just joking about how time it would taking if you could only walk. i would be so fix on how long the level is. because i know once you get this game or something like it in reload. nine minutes is going to be nothing compare to an hour in a reload level.Morning Mountain Stroll by wizard of id was a long level to the point that I did not expect it be that long I never finishing the level out because I had other things to do.. by the way how close are you in finishing this game?

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2014 05:16
well level 2 of 5 planned levels are done. I cant crank out the art I need for this project that fast so level design takes a minute but given the fact that I keep a pretty low asset quality standard compared to modern triple A big budget titles, I can get things done in a pretty timely fashion. usually I get really inspired and storm through most of a level in like one session.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2014 03:51
These are some heavy WIP screenshots of level 3. This is only the first area. while level 2 focuses heavily on combat and puzzles (which is why im happy it lasted so long) this level slows the pacing and focuses on platforming and puzzles. level 4 will be a stealth section, and level 5 will probably be mainly combat. This game won't be as cinematic or "directed" as the first kshatriya which was more chase-centric. the challenges episodes will have more of a focus on gameplay and providing a "challenging" experience.

Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2014 14:17
The screenies look vast mate. But I had question, what are the requirements for the option extracollisionbuild in the setup.ini? Looking at the vastness and the screen full of polys, that would be required.

And, what is the poly count?

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2014 21:06
polycount stays around 80k-120k. I try to make sure with intelligent level layout that the areas that you aren't in are culled. currently the level is about 1/4 of the full mapsize and this area only takes about 2-3 minutes at this point to play through.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Great looking as always. As I told you earlier, the latest level really looks like a more "realistic grit". I'm loving this game's progress and I'd be surprised if this doesn't play well when it comes out either.

Diablo Chateau
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2014 12:29
thanks astech. that means a lot coming from you, I'm excited to see what you will have to show us next.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2014 03:42
Here's the next few screenshots of level 3. this level's more or less close to finished, and is a break in pacing. there is little to no combat in this level.

Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2014 08:39
LOL for the game mate. (LOL - Lots Of Love)

Hope to kick some nice enemy butts!

But for the design and gameplay mechanics, you can borrow some from the game Dishonored, as the game seems to have a super incredible mixture of both (and I still wonder why I didn't play this game for the last two years).

Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2014 11:42
I love the second one, all this blue gives a great mood to the scene...

Utinni !
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2014 01:34

thanks! here's another one.

Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2014 12:09
This looks totally awesome! BTW, do you still have the game Fenix Ops uploaded anywhere. I really liked the look of the game.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 02:36
i don't think so. I believe it was on megaupload. that game sucked- one level, no cool custom animations or cutscenes, you could beat it in 3 minutes.

Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 05:11
But the action was nicer (and faster) than most of the FPSC games that I have played (or seen). The map layout was a bit small I think.

Anyways, can I borrow your level designing technique from that game? I really love the flow, but too bad it was short.

Or like make my own from your one (like - Code Name Phoenix Black Operations)?

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 05:41
there really wasnt much level designing technique to that game. kshatriya's levels require more "techniques" to be used. anyone is more than welcome to borrow techniques from any game ive made though

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 10:47 Edited at: 27th Oct 2014 10:47
I like the use of purple in that last scene. Purple and pink just seems like really good cyber-punk colors.

Diablo Chateau
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2014 19:52
thanks! I had to change that scene up a little bit because of a scripted moment there but it'll be cooler in the end because of it. here's a couple more screens of level 3. I'll be moving on to level 4 soon, I swear!

Snake675
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2014 04:52
Hi Bugsy

Just very, very cool work!!!

And I am so glad to see FPSC Classic still be used. Its a great tool, even if there are many difficulties in developing real games...

So keep it up with the good work.

Greetings, Snake67

------------------------------------------------------------
i5 2.8 GHz 64bit / 4G ram / W7 home sp1 / geforce gts 250
FPSC 120 Beta 3
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2014 15:12
Looking good so far. Keep it up!

Don't waste your life

Login to post a reply