Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / NVIDIA Shield Tablet

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2014 23:08 Edited at: 28th Jul 2014 23:11

Here's a link to it on NVIDIA's website. It's due to release tomorrow in the US and a bit later in the UK. For those who don't know, it's an 8-inch tablet aimed at gaming. You can read better descriptions of the details than anything I could provide here around the web (that link should be sufficient).
What does everyone think of it? I've seen a lot of skepticism in other discussions about it, but most of the participants in them didn't seem particularly educated in the field of technology Even without the gaming driven features, it still seems to be a powerful Android device. Do you think it'll be versatile enough to take interest or be doomed to the corner of obscure gadgets?

Edit: I'd also like to point out that the screen is 1920x1200, a 16:10 aspect ratio, which is a bit unique. Their marketing boasts being able to play 1080p videos, but the screen itself has a tad more height.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2014 23:27
I don't see the point. The Shield was pointless enough to me personally, but I could still see the novelty in it. This is just a tablet with a controller.
OK, so maybe it can out perform other tablets in the gaming department, big whoop.
Anyone who already has a tablet shouldn't bother; just buy a moga or ps3 controller. And lets not forget that at the end of the day we're talking about a device that plays mobile games.

So IMO the only reason to buy any shield device is if you're dying to play Portal on the go.
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 00:26
The shield isnt pointless enough for me as ive been looking for a long time for a tablet with a stylus that could be used for drawing. Most tablets with styluses are very crappy and a $3000 cintiq is way over my budget.

Only one question remains...

Does it have an ethernet port?

Your signature has been erased by a mod
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Does it have an ethernet port?"

I believe you need an adapter to use ethernet. It supports it but lacks a port.

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 00:54
damn. i hate using adapters. They break all the time. After working in the internet industry for a year, an ethernet port on a portable gadget to me is pure bliss because its the least problematic way to get internet. Like if i will decide to buy the shield2 and setup some unix os on it and those are heavily dependent on internet access. Most linuxes dont even recognize the fancy new Wifi stuff but they always see an ethernet connection.

a bit offtop but why i hate wifi?
I came to setup this guys internet and IPTV once. Every once in a while you get customers who forgot their laptops at work or for whatever reason dont have a computer present.

I didnt have my netbook either

all the guy had was an iphone.

Setting up a router, then the internet acess, then the tv cablebox, all of this using nothing more than the cheapest chinese iphone knockoff ever- pure hell. If at least one of my prtable gadgets had an ethernet port it would make this particular job (and others) a lot easier.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 01:10
Quote: "a tablet with a stylus that could be used for drawing"

Unless it's a resistive touch screen I think you'll be disappointed.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 01:30
I don't know if any Android device is going to be more popular than the Ouya for the foreseeable future. Maybe Amazon can do it? But Ouya is far ahead and other devices will get Ouya support, like the Moyo.

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 02:09
Quote: "Unless it's a resistive touch screen I think you'll be disappointed. "

I think i should refrain from judging its capabilities untill i actually try it out. Besides i dont have a modern tablet. Might as well make this my first one. I realize that it will be nothing like drawing on a cintiq and i realize a part of me will be dissapointed but i really hate finger tochscreen. I would much rather use a stilus which is at least more persice (and i can actually see what i am doing without my fat fingers being in the way). and i really havent seen any tablets with a stilus so i am curios.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 08:43
You should take a look at Samsung's Note series of tables.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 12:56
Quote: "I don't know if any Android device is going to be more popular than the Ouya for the foreseeable future. Maybe Amazon can do it? But Ouya is far ahead and other devices will get Ouya support, like the Moyo.
"

I don't know about that. It seems like a lot of people with ouyas are dissappointed in them, atleast according to http://reddit.com/r/ouya. I could be wrong though.

Quote: "You should take a look at Samsung's Note series of tables.
"

Agreed, the note stylus is really good. I have the original note 1 phone and have used it as a drawing tablet a few times. Im sure there are better alternatives but it works pretty well. Im guessing it would be a lot better on a 10" tablet than a 5" phone to.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 19:49
There is a Cintiq tablet, but it's damn expensive, about $1500 I believe.

I am the one who knocks...
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 20:01 Edited at: 7th Aug 2014 20:05
Might I recommend the Toshiba Portege M400. Runs about 150-200 on ebay, has an HD display and wacom tablet technology as part of the display. It's very low powered, and in fact the Windows 7 drivers aren't quite up to snuff, but it's certainly good enough to draw in:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-TECRA-M4-TABLET-PC-LAPTOP-WINDOWS-7-PC-notebook-computer-WiFi-DVD-/171356987198?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item27e5ac1f3e

I haven't compared it to a Cintiq but I would be unsurprised if it was comparable in quality. Lubuntu is recommended on this beast

Ps, drawing on my Samsung android devices, while it works, is a joke compared to the wacom pads I've used.

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 20:39
@bit jericho. I know the one you are talking about. There is a lenovo transformer tablet also with a wacom stilus that i have been eyeing for a while.

Yeah i am not even looking at a samsung note (tried it out once wasnt very good at drawing for) This got me curious about the shield2 tablet. I mean it the latest and greatest so it should be at least better than a samsung note.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 22:29
Quote: "I don't know about that. It seems like a lot of people with ouyas are dissappointed in them, atleast according to http://reddit.com/r/ouya. I could be wrong though."

There is no other doing better right now though. There's a lot of OUYA haters out there, including game journalists. But they are still selling and it's a great indie starting platform.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2014 00:11 Edited at: 8th Aug 2014 00:12
Quote: "Yeah i am not even looking at a samsung note (tried it out once wasnt very good at drawing for) This got me curious about the shield2 tablet. I mean it the latest and greatest so it should be at least better than a samsung note."

I highly doubt it. There's a reason people pay 3k for high quality tablets, nobody else can compete. That portege is like 6 years old and sold for a minimum of 1500 bucks when it came out, it's not some cheap tech.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2014 00:18
Quote: "I mean it the latest and greatest so it should be at least better than a samsung note."

If you really want to get a shield 2 then get one, but just because it's newer doesn't mean much. Capacitive screens were built for fingers and resistive screens were built for stylus's. It was built to respond to a large object such as the end of a finger, not the tip of a pen.
There are special stylus's out there that will make drawing on this type of screen easier, but if you're hoping to get some actual work done on it, I still think you'll be very disappointed.
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2014 00:36
hopefully i will somewhat be impressed goven how crappy most tochscreens are and because i havent bought a simgle piece of new technology since 2012 which was a laptop. I dont even have a smartphone lol.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " goven how crappy most tochscreens are "

I guess I've been fortunate to not come across a touchscreen I'd describe as 'crappy'. They all react to touch as they should
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2014 06:40
maybe i just have stubby fingers

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2014 12:55
For artwork, a stylus is the only way, and I don't mean one of these thick rubber ended stylus, a Samsung note, or a Cintiq, or any tablet with an actual stylus.

For example, I have an iPad with cap touch screen, and no matter what you do, it's like drawing with thick crayon, it's no good for any sort of detail. I mean, I got on better with my DS art packages than the iPad ones. There is no capacitive touch stylus that does a good job, not even the expensive small tipped ones - those are worse than the fat bubble ended ones.

The Samsung note has a pressure sensitivity range of 512, the Cintiq tablet has a range of 1024, that tablet, and any other tablet without a real stylus has a sensitivity range of 1. Math is easy on this one, if you want a tablet for artwork and have $1500, buy a Cintiq companion tablet, if you don't have that sort of money buy a Samsung Note and learn to love it... there are other stylus tablets out there of course, but really the Note rates highest, I'm not sure how much experience you've had with touch screens, but a standard cap touch screen compared with a Wacom stylus... well it's like chopping your drawing hand off and trying to sketch with the stump...

''Draw me like one of your French gi.... WTF!''

I am the one who knocks...
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2014 23:11
If a cintiq is too expensive and you have hands growing out of the right places, you can always try to build something like a cintiq out of a cheaper intuos and a flat-screen. I did it a few years ago. There is a thread floating around here somewhere about the process.

The problem with mine is its not portable and calibrating it is a pain. also the screen i used was a cheap 15 inch from a laptop so color is not super accurate. and the sensor panel on the intuos was slightly bigger leaving a small strip of the screen to the right of it unresponsive to the stylus. Otherwise its pretty good.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 01:17:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 01:17:47