Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / List your tutorial requests here

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 4th Aug 2014 08:52 Edited at: 7th Aug 2014 05:00
Hi Everybody,

I noticed a couple of people were disappointed with the amount of AppGameKit content in the latest news letter, so I decided to put this thread here.
You can request AppGameKit Tutorials, and I'll research it and write a tut about it.
Just post the description of any tutorial about anything about AppGameKit that you'd like, and I'll look into it and try and get a tut into the next newsletter (or post a thread about it). If anybody else wants to take over some of the tutorials, that'd be awesome, I'd rather not write them all .

Tutorials Requested:
IAP
FB Like Button
multyplayer tutorial
Writing sprite and full screen shaders and integrating them in agk tier 1
Debugging on Android
Rate my app

Tutorials Written:
xCept's quick guide to IAP on Android
Rate my app (mini tut by Naphier)

If you think you can write any or the tutorials requested, then feel free to do it! Just post a message here letting me know

Cheers,
EB

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2014 04:47
Good idea. My first tutorial request is, "How to make a MMORPG that makes me rich".

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2014 05:19
@Phaelax
Step 1 - Collect underpants
Step 2 -
Step 3 - Profit!

I've been writing tutorials for a few months now without much fanfare. Granted, their not amazing things, but they're aimed at being short, simple, and for the beginning user. Some folks have found them helpful, but usually I have to point them to the article from here on the message boards.

I'm always open to suggestions for tutorials, but I write much better from my own experiences and like to write about subjects that are pertinent to a game I'm developing.

I'm sure BatVink would be up to putting more in the newsletter as AppGameKit needs more content and exposure. Also, I'd love to take breaks from writing the tutorials, but at the same time I've really been enjoying it even if no one is reading them.

Next month's article will be discussing how to "thread" animation functions so that you can run multiple animations asynchronously like I do a bit of in Sudoku In Space.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2014 07:42 Edited at: 5th Aug 2014 08:03
Quote: "Good idea. My first tutorial request is, "How to make a MMORPG that makes me rich"."

Sure, I'll write it ASAP. the first step is to invest aproxiately $1,200,000 in a good team (you'll need a few coders, a few artists, a good PR guy and a couple of other things). Second, come up with a killer idea. Third, make that idea into a reality (with that great team you hired).
DONE!

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2014 10:37
Naphier, your tutorials are extremely useful. I hope some new users see this as an opportunity to learn from an experienced user how to do something they have been struggling with.

Keep up the good work!
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2014 10:50
I would like to see tutorials about Iap and how to add facebook like buttons.

I think other users would find this useful.

janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2014 12:33 Edited at: 5th Aug 2014 12:44
Hey, how about a multyplayer tutorial?
I want to see how others handle when packets are send.
Especaly for bullets.. I mean things that are needed to be updated frecuently.
We don't have udp so we can't just send hundrets of bullets everytime.
Or don't they need to be updatet that often because you can just send that you hit something!?
What if the server is an playable client.
And how u make sure that the other clients only know what they need to know.

How do you do things for multiplayer?
Thats what i want to know
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Writing sprite and full screen shaders and integrating them in agk tier 1. Lights, bump maps etc. A clear understanding of that would be great for me...and I'm guessing others.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 05:06
Off to a good start I can't write the shader tut (I only have AGKv1), so if someone has some experience with that and wants to write a tutorial, that'd be great
I'll see about doing a multiplayer tutorial. I've never finished a multiplayer game, but I have looked into it before so I know the basics.
As for IAP, xCept has written a good guide for it [Android only though]. I might end up rewriting it into a more followable tut sometime, but for now, that should help.
And on a FB tut, I've never done anything with FB, so it might be best if someone with experience writes that tut, although I'd be willing to look into it myself sometime.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 05:29
IAP would be a pretty brief tutorial, but it might be nice.
I could possibly do a Facebook one, but I'm a bit concerned that Facebook's most recent changes have really killed things (friends list, changes to sign in), but a like button is fairly easy (although it can get tangled easy too).

Just do openBrowser("www.facebook.com/naplandgames")
There's no native like button for tier 1 android and I'm not sure it works for iOS either. You can try to open the facebook app with "fb://naplandgames" but if the user doesn't have the Facebook app installed it will crash your game. That's really all that could be provided in a FB like button tutorial for AppGameKit

lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 13:55
I could do the shader tutorial, but we don't have any documentation on AppGameKit specific commands available for the shaders, only what we can gather from Paul's example shaders. So it would not be a very complete tutorial yet.

Also, if you want to learn about shaders not specified to AppGameKit but easily made so, just google "GLSL tutorial"

My hovercraft is full of eels
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 15:03
I'd quite like to know how to give users of my app the ability to "Rate my App" on the store.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 19:54
App rate is pretty quick too. I think it'd be a bit short for a tutorial. Here are the details:
iOS:
Just call RateApp(int iOSAppID , string AppName , string message)
This will create an iOS dialogue box with 3 options: Rate, Remind Later, and Don't Ask Again. iOS maintains a flag for these options so if the user says "Don't Ask Again" or "Rate" then future calls to RateApp will be ignored. No need to save data on this. The iOSAppID is listed in the iOS developer portal (iTunes Connect).

Android:
You'll need to make your own UI if you want. We do something similar to the iOS rate ask UI, but stylize it to our game. With Android you'll need to save the user response to the UI in a data file if you don't want to bother them again when the press "rate" or "don't ask again". When they select "rate" simply call OpenBrowser() with the following URL:
Google Play:
"market:/"+chr(47)+"details?id=com.naplandgames.sudokuinspace"
Amazon:
"amzn:/"+chr(47)+"apps/android?p=com.naplandgames.sudokuinspace"

Where com.naplandgame.sudokuinspace is the package name for YOUR app. I've got chr(47) in there because AppGameKit T1 has issues with // in string constants (reads it as a comment and breaks the whole thing). Using these URLs will automatically launch the play store application or the amazon appstore application on the user's device. Beware, though, if the user doesn't have that application installed then using those URLs will likely cause a crash.

Best practices:
We've found that users respond best to this when asked after a highlight of the game. What we currently do is after a user wins a level we show an interstitial ad but every 5th level win we show the rate dialogue until they rate or say don't ask again. Seems to work pretty well and gets more response than just having a static button on one of the UI screens. With Sudoku In Space on Android we are not giving the user the option to say "don't ask again" until they've seen the dialogue 5 times (which means 25 level finishes - 20 times ads and 5 times the rate ask - if they haven't already rated).

Really not much more to say on this front. Feel free to ask questions though. These instructions are around the forum, but a bit spread out.

ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 22:58 Edited at: 6th Aug 2014 23:01
I would be cool if there could be a tutorial on debugging on the device/emulator in Eclipse.

It would be nice to know how much memory your app is using and the video memory it's using.

I'm currently looking into this now, but I thought I would ask just in case someone has a handle on it already.

I'm in need of this because my app is crashing after about 10 minutes of game play and I think it's has to do with video memory according to the log file.
So I'm in the process of restructuring what graphics to keep in memory and what can be reloaded without slowing down game play too much.

It would be nice to get these debugging tools to work because it's a pain trying to figure all this out in the dark.

Prove Your Worthiness
KG2Entertainment.com
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 23:31
That's a good one!
If you're testing on Android 4.x you can enable an overlay that will give you CPU loads and such. They aren't great though and I just tried out the GPU stats overlay and all I can get is a graph and no clue what line is what. I've not seen a profiler for android, but it has to be in there.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 01:37 Edited at: 7th Aug 2014 05:03
Quote: "Best practices:
We've found that users respond best to this when asked after a highlight of the game. What we currently do is after a user wins a level we show an interstitial ad but every 5th level win we show the rate dialogue until they rate or say don't ask again. Seems to work pretty well and gets more response than just having a static button on one of the UI screens. With Sudoku In Space on Android we are not giving the user the option to say "don't ask again" until they've seen the dialogue 5 times (which means 25 level finishes - 20 times ads and 5 times the rate ask - if they haven't already rated). "

Just on that, I've had really good responses just by having a huge unmissable button on the menu screen

It seems to be working pretty well, I'm getting quite a lot more ratings than for my other games (not to mention a fairly good average, 4.3 with over 200 reviews).

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 01:46
@Naphier:
Thanks for that, that's a big help

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 05:23
@eb that's good! With most of our apps we haven't had the screen real estate to do that. Plus with apps that don't return to a GUI screen on a frequent basis you'll have a better chance when putting the ask right in front of them, of course, don't interrupt their gameplay and don't redirect them if they give less than 3 stars

Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2014 18:43
Hi

Ti would be cool to have some tutorials like that (agk tier 1) :

1)a physic tutorial to create a kind of bones system (spine) for example
- attach (or joint) two sprites or more
- if we move one sprite the others move too (only the childrens)
- but but they don't rotate like with a joint

2) shader tutorials
- bump/normal map, specular light
- reflect shader/refract tutorial
- fall-of shader
- how to mix two textures/shaders or more on an 3D object

Thank you a lot

http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Harlequin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2014 03:13
Hi,

Personally I would like to see some 3d tutes, like fps style collision and terrain stuff. I know there are a few examples of this around (except 3d fps style collision), and in v2 a lot of this will be natively available. But v2 3d is a very long way off.

Thanks.

It's late, I'm tired, out of coffee and now I'm wet.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-13 18:39:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-13 18:39:18