Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Why is the forum dying?

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 14:47
Quote: "I found another alternative to making casual 2D games that are multiplatform, called HaXe, which is much more mature."

Ooh, this is cool. One of my favourite things to do is check out new and interesting engines, so I'm quite intrigued by this. I thought I knew about just about every game engine out there.

Quote: "Don't get me wrong, AppGameKit was great for prototyping with, but it doesn't have the same FEEL as DBP. It's hard to explain, really, and I'm not sure what the feeling I had with DBP was that is missing from AGK. There's definitely something missing, though"

I kinda know what you mean, but for me TGC's products are always my go-to choice when I plan a new project..... that is, until I realise some feature or other is missing. I truly can't wait until AppGameKit V2 is more mature; currently, DBPro is a brilliant language for PC-only 3D stuff, but not great for other platforms (obviously) or 2D stuff; AppGameKit, on the other hand, is great for cross-platform 2D stuff but not for 3D. When AppGameKit finally absorbs DBPro's functionality, I will be a very happy guy.

The main reason I gravitate towards TGC's products is probably my familiarity with them, but other than that I would have to say its their extreme ease of use. I'm horrified by the over-complexity of some other engines (*cough-cough* Cocos2d-x *cough*). So far I've been somewhat successful with Ogre, and I reckon I could do some awesome things with it, and very successful with the GamePlay engine (weirdly enough).

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 17:50
I have to admit that if I was more serious about making apps and games, if I had a better understanding of programming in general, then I would probably look outside TGC projects more than I do and I don't blame anyone who does. But I would do that with whatever product I was using.

I found going from DBPro to AppGameKit a little odd as well but I felt simillar from going to DBC to DBPro. What is really odd is that using AppGameKit reminds me of DBC, which is quite a nice feeling.

My biggest reason for staying with it is that I kind of assume that DBPro has been / will be sidelined and the focus will be on AGK. Also, people are making games and getting them on the various app stores, which creates a buzz that I feel is missing from the DBPro community.

At the moment I can't recommend anyone actually buys DBPro or AppGameKit V1 (I see V1 ending up like DBC). And, going into the future, I wouldn't be suprised at having to pay for an AppGameKit V3 some time in the future (which I would be prepared to buy if I'm still making games). In fact I would be worried about the future of AppGameKit if there wasn't some kind of paid for upgrade in the future.

It'll be interesting if/when DBPro gets an update, it actually results in more projects being created and people posting about them. I hope it does. I've played the escape demo and was pretty impressed, you can even alt+tab out of the game and back in and it doesn't crash. It'll be nice if they can sort it out in DBPro. I can't imagine going back to DBPro, and understand why TGC don't want to spend too much time on it, but if the improvements are good I would recommend it.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2014 04:30
Quote: "which creates a buzz that I feel is missing from the DBPro community"

I do miss that buzz, DBP community had it, it is dead, but glad AppGameKit has it. But DBPro is old now and the excitement isn't there for most.

But maybe time to think of AppGameKit as Dark Basic 3.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2014 17:12
As I understand mr Lee, AppGameKit 2 (3?) is successor to DBP. The only question why he dropped RC patch. Why not make "DBP final version"

Also, how to listen to the radio using grass?

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2014 18:58
I just realized today what my other issue with AppGameKit was, and it's getting solved. My main computer for the past two years has been my MacBook Pro, because as a web developer I've found that Linux and Mac have the best environments for what I need. My PC rig has turned into a gaming-only rig, and it's in my little den where it gets hot and dark. After using my Mac every day for two years it was difficult getting into AppGameKit which was Windows-only.

Thankfully that is changing with AppGameKit 2, because Lee has been hard at work on the Mac IDE. I'm definitely going to try it out and think of it as DBP 2. Perhaps it will replace Haxe for me?

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2014 16:32
Quote: "As I understand mr Lee, AppGameKit 2 (3?) is successor to DBP."

Yes of course, AppGameKit is meant to be the successor to DBPro, but just yet it lacks most of the appealing features of DBPro. One day AppGameKit will surpass DBPro, though.

Quote: "Thankfully that is changing with AppGameKit 2, because Lee has been hard at work on the Mac IDE."

Lee? No, I don't think so. Paul, more like. Lee is working exclusively on Reloaded right now (actually right at this minute he's at IDF).

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2014 12:23
The Mac IDE is great! Much better than the previous one which was Windows only. I can sit and code AppGameKit on my MacBook Air while I'm on the train on the way to work

Soon Paul's adding a one click build for Android in the IDE and an Export to Xcode option so soon I can code and create full app projects for Windows/Mac/iOS and Android all from my lovely little Mac. Very handy!

AGK is NOT a replacement for DBPro though. It's too different in a fundamental way. It's aimed at cross platform development FIRST. DBPro has always been and most likely always will be Windows only as it's reliant on DX.

I would be surprised if the FPSCR additions to the engine are not fed back into DBPro or a "new engine" at some point, otherwise why not just code it all in AppGameKit and get AppGameKit up to professional standard for WIndows at the same time? I honestly don't think DBPro is completely dead yet (at least not if Lee has anything to say about his baby)... just my own feeling on the matter though. I doubt TGC would make any promises on that front as they have made a few too many difficult to keep promises recently. I'd love to see it happen myself as AppGameKit is definitely not going to be capable of anything even close to AAA for a long time yet, if ever. It's not that kind of product.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2014 14:11
Quote: "I honestly don't think DBPro is completely dead yet (at least not if Lee has anything to say about his baby)... just my own feeling on the matter though. I doubt TGC would make any promises on that front as they have made a few too many difficult to keep promises recently"

I agree. If I was TGC, I wouldn't announce anything regarding any new release (if there is one) of DBPro simply because of the backlash (not baxslash) if tentative plans aren't cast in stone within days. My approach would be to announce it and release at the same time. I think it is a long way off though if it did happen, TGC can't detract from FPSCR - and they shouldn't.

Quote: "AGK is NOT a replacement for DBPro though. It's too different in a fundamental way. It's aimed at cross platform development FIRST."

Again I agree. They couldn't take DBPro and make it cross-platform. The only way forward was to start again, and that is akin to starting with DarkBASIC Classic 1.0. It will take time to become a fully fledged development tool. The alternative is to wait 5 years before getting V1.0, so I'm happy to grow up with AppGameKit, just like I grew up with DBC and DBP.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 00:06
Quote: "I agree. If I was TGC, I wouldn't announce anything regarding any new release (if there is one) of DBPro simply because of the backlash (not baxslash) if tentative plans aren't cast in stone within days. "

you mean like collecting payment and then not delivering or even communicating a year after the due date?

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 01:52
Quote: "you mean like collecting payment and then not delivering or even communicating a year after the due date?"

Have TGC done that?
I admit I just ignore the two-per-day spam mails about the weekly campaigns for backing Reloaded but that has already been made available to backers in pre-release form right?

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 02:38
Quote: "AGK is NOT a replacement for DBPro though. It's too different in a fundamental way. It's aimed at cross platform development FIRST. DBPro has always been and most likely always will be Windows only as it's reliant on DX."

No, but it can (and, I believe, will) be. Paul wants to add more PC-specific commands that bring back more of the functionality of DBPro.

Quote: "I would be surprised if the FPSCR additions to the engine are not fed back into DBPro"

Lee has said specifically that he wants to do this.

Quote: "otherwise why not just code it all in AppGameKit and get AppGameKit up to professional standard for WIndows at the same time?"

Because when Lee started Reloaded, AppGameKit was in its infancy. Additionally, he would have had to rewrite every single line of code, INCLUDING the C++ plugins. The project never would have succeeded.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Because when Lee started Reloaded, AppGameKit was in its infancy. Additionally, he would have had to rewrite every single line of code, INCLUDING the C++ plugins. The project never would have succeeded.
"

I feel that much of Reloaded has, in fact, been rewritten from scratch since Lee began working on it so long ago--which was not really the plan when the original Kickstarter launched. The base FPSC engine has often proved a blocking ground and has taken serious time and thought to rework its components into Reloaded, as I've gleaned from following Lee's blog each day.

I understand why Lee went this route initially to preserve years of previous development work, but using DBP has also confined him to DX9 and Windows machines which has made some obstacles more difficult to overcome. There are times when Lee pursues specific functionality that seems readily apparent in DX11 / GL territory but requires a different thought process for DX9 tech.

I've often felt AppGameKit would have been a cool means of developing a new FPS Creator product; one obvious benefit being simplified cross platform compatibility via OpenGL. When Reloaded was first getting started a fair number of 3D commands had already been added to AppGameKit (you could even export FPSC Maps to AGK), and using AppGameKit to further Reloaded would have benefited both products mutually. AppGameKit is still progressing--albeit slower than it would have with more than one resource devoted to it--but for sure Reloaded is now too far along to consider making a switch-over.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 05:22
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=210220&b=41

It helps to consider the above thread along with the original estimated dates, under heading: "Estimates delivery of each phase": https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tgc/app-game-kit-v2

Now I'm not saying TGC has to be perfect by any stretch, but when someone asks "Why is the forum dying?", my initial thought is on the failure to deliver competitive compilers (my personal desire).

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 12:20
Perhaps we need someone to lead the community through these troubled times...

Seriously though, I know it's 7 months behind at the moment so we're probably looking at a year in the end. It's not good, but if you consider that 2 key members of the team left TGC leaving Paul to manage AppGameKit development on his own fairly early on I think he's done pretty well.

Originally the work covered by the campaign was 6 months work for 2/3 programmers. That's as much as 18 months of development work. If 1 person does it in 12 months then they've performed a flippin' miracle in my honest opinion...
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "but if you consider that 2 key members of the team left TGC leaving Paul to manage AppGameKit development on his own fairly early on I think he's done pretty well."

Who left?
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 18:33
Quote: "Perhaps we need someone to lead the community through these troubled times... "

I like to think I got that badge for being real I don't care that TGC's behind schedule (though maybe they should have said something before that thread happened). What I do care about is a progressive, BASIC, compiler. Not a set of 3d libraries that just happens to have a BASIC compiler as an afterthought that is no more advanced than DBC or DBP.

If I wanted to program in objective-c or whatever I wouldn't use AGK. I use AppGameKit for Basic and it lacks seriously compared to the competition, and the competition ain't all that hot either.

TGC got greedy with the marketplace shenanigans and forgot what brought people to their basic languages.

Let's get real here guys, I'm going to throw it out there that I suspect AppGameKit v2 is the last compiler TGC will be making, after that it's FPSC from here on out.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 01:51
Quote: "Who left?"

Mike Johnston and... some other guy. I know the old editor of the newletter left, but I'm not sure if that's to whom baxslash is referring.

Quote: "Let's get real here guys, I'm going to throw it out there that I suspect AppGameKit v2 is the last compiler TGC will be making, after that it's FPSC from here on out."

That's possible, especially given the idea is they don't need another one, that AppGameKit will be future-proof. I believe they'll finish AppGameKit V2 and Reloaded, and continue to support and upgrade both. If they drop either one we'll boot them until they support both again

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 10:39
Quote: "I like to think I got that badge for being real"

I know, just kidding

The other guy was Richard Davey their HTML5 expert I believe (among other things) but I guess he was more involved with Freedom Engine than AppGameKit, I think he went on to Aardman Digital or something. I guess it wasn't so much that he was no longer working on AppGameKit than a lot of his workload got shifted onto Paul. Either way it amounts to Paul having more to do than was anticipated.

I happen to agree that AppGameKit is likely to be the last compiler TGC make but for the reasons Clonkex mentioned. AppGameKit cannot be easily shelved as DBP was either because the mobile market is changing so regularly that AppGameKit requires a good deal of maintenance to stay up to speed. Don't get me wrong I've often considered moving onto another development platform but while TGC keeps going the way it is I will continue using their products.

I see a lot of people saying "TGC got greedy" but from the other side of the fence it never looked that way. They were always trying their hardest to keep everyone happy while they kept enough money coming in to stay afloat. A lot of time was invested in trying to make TGC more successful and some of it worked. TGC have always (in my experienced) cared a damned sight more for their community than most software companies.

I develop plugins for CAD software that costs tens of thousands per seat and the community support is not even close to that of TGC, even when you're paying around 10k per year for the maintenance contract. The software itself is not a patch on AppGameKit in terms of usability; For example, if your plugin has a bug in it you get a really vague message such as "Plugin failed to load" and support are usually at a loss to help. This can be caused by something as simple as a naming convention error for a TextBox...

I dream about the days when I was just building games and apps in AGK. Even in its early days it was far nicer to use.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 11:30
Rich Davey left in February 2007. He made lots of great games and demos that helped to popularise DarkBASIC Classic.

Ravey is the other one who left, but he's now back working with Lee and Simon on FPSCR. He was more involved with "finished products" rather than DBP/AGK language development, although a lot of his requirements for things like Driving Test Success and the AppGameKit mobile games became features in the languages.

Quote: "the community support is not even close to that of TGC, even when you're paying around 10k per year for the maintenance contract."

I can second that. In the ERP world, you can pay £100K and more just to have someone acknowledge a bug. If you want it fixing - even if the fix already exists - then you have to pay more on top.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 12:27
Quote: "The other guy was Richard Davey their HTML5 expert I believe (among other things) but I guess he was more involved with Freedom Engine than AppGameKit, I think he went on to Aardman Digital or something. I guess it wasn't so much that he was no longer working on AppGameKit than a lot of his workload got shifted onto Paul. Either way it amounts to Paul having more to do than was anticipated."

AGK wasn't even a concept in TGCs brain when I left (or Freedom Engine for that matter). I've also never worked on a compiler in my life. I was responsible for building the web site, the support system, the forum, lots of games and the newsletter. I never directly worked on core TGC product code.

I did indeed join Aardman after leaving TGC and had many wonderful years there. However I now run my own company full time, and in a strange turn of events, given my DBS/TGC origins, our core product is a game framework: Phaser

Even back when I first built the forums there used to be threads like this, asking why things were dying, etc, etc. Yet this place somehow manages to remain alive and healthy despite all this. And some part of me thinks it always will.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 12:44
Quote: "Even back when I first built the forums there used to be threads like this, asking why things were dying, etc, etc. Yet this place somehow manages to remain alive and healthy despite all this. And some part of me thinks it always will."

The God of Apollo has been summoned, and it is decreed that the forum shall live forever.

Oops, did I think that out loud?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 13:05
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I think AppGameKit is quite good. With the new v2 compiler and IDE it has become even better. There are a few issues I would like to solved before 3D. Once those are solved I think it can really take off. With every update there are features added and problems solved and the things people have requested are added one by one. Paul is also quite active on the AppGameKit board now and that's always great. There have been some darker times but things are looking brighter and brighter.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 17th Sep 2014 13:55
Can someone clarify something for me?

On a related thread VanB said Mike Johnson and Paul Johnston were brothers (note the surname ). And now on this thread BatVink is referring to Mike Johnston as having left. I thought it was Mike Johnson who left and I've always assumed he was unrelated to Paul Johnston.

Are there in fact two people around, i.e. Mike Johnston and Mike Johnson?