Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Android markets and some interesting stats

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2014 20:48
Hi everyone, I thought this was too good not to share!
http://gamasutra.com/blogs/ArtursSosins/20140906/225010/Android_Market_Analysis_based_on_Two_Months_Download_Data.php

The article gives raw download numbers for an app with no marketing and lists a bunch of Android markets that I was not aware of. Many that outperformed Google Play by leaps and bounds.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 11th Sep 2014 04:50
Excellent article. Thanks for the link

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2014 20:00
Very good info. Thanks!

Prove Your Worthiness
KG2Entertainment.com
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 13:56
Doing a bit of research while I'm in Korea. I've yet to see anything but Samsung smartphones here. So far everyone I've asked says they don't use Samsung App Store, but use GPlay or Kakoa Talk to get their apps. Quite a few different app markets here, very confusing, seems like every carrier has their own app market. But it seems KT and GPlay are the tops. Will report more later if I find out some stuff. Korean market is very eager for games.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
however you look at it, android = fragmentation
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2014 14:48
Many of these stores also help with distribution of iOS apps because discoverability on both of the major app markets is crap. It really has nothing to do with fragmentation.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
they don't distribute ios apps for sure. there's only 1 appstore for ios

what they do is post links of apps to the apple appstore
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 20:06
@bjadams, that's correct, none of them actually distribute IPA files, that wouldn't work.

Here's my findings after just a couple of days of having our apps approved:
Opera - 19 downloads
GetJar - 119 downloads - direct link to Google Play

Now what stinks is... we have Chartboost integrated which tracks our installs. It reports only a couple of installs over the past couple of days, far far from 138. Our GetJar listing directly links to Google Play and that reports the same as Chartboost, only a couple of installs.

Am I so jaded that I feel like these stores are supplying erroneous data to us? What else could it be? Are this many people installing the game and not opening it ever? Are they installing the game and then only opening it after they disable their internet connection? If that is the case then it is worthless because the game is ad supported.
Why would a distribution site supply erroneous data? What advantage would that be to them in the long run?

Thoughts?

We're still going forward with SlideMe as it seemed to give the best results in the article above, but now I question those results. I've got support requests out to the stores to see what they can tell me. Why can't anything just be on the up and up?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2014 11:16
Naphier:
Sounds like people click on the download, ends up at Google Play and then doesn't download for whatever reason. If they did download it on Google Play it would be instantly installed and added to the stats on Google Play.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2014 15:39
if i remember correctly... i had an android from hip street few years back. It didnt support google play however it had getjar. That was the best way to get apps on to it unless you were in a country that had the amazon store support.

i tried to side load google play and it didnt like the hip street device and didnt work. I tried to side load amazon's store but canada was not a supported area at the time...maybe it still is not?

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2014 17:30
Not sure, that shouldn't account for ALL of the people. Though I think I'll try actually uploading the APK file to GetJar. I really wanted it to link to Google Play to assist the download count there, but maybe GetJar users just hate Google Play that much or are, like you said, using GetJar because their device can't run Google Play?

Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2014 22:36
I share my download numbers and sales in my blog as well if you're interested:

http://www.leidel.net/wp/
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2014 05:35
That's great, Xaron, thanks a ton for sharing that info!!

Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2014 10:36
You're welcome! Have added the latest numbers for September.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2014 16:55
SO to answer my question about the stats on both stores. They both count downloads, not installs. So apparently both stores have a high number of folks who click and cancel or download, but don't install. That makes this even less appealing to try, however, it still provides exposure.

Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2014 17:06
What's a nice opportunity is the NOOK store for sure. Quite less competitors and the users there are used to pay for apps. But it's limited to US and UK.

Google Play is just flooded. As far as I've heard about 1000(!) new games per day(!).

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2014 19:24
How does one get on the Nook store? I can't seem to find any info on their site other than how to distribute books.

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Xaron, great to see a fellow Monkey here.
Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2014 10:06
@Naphier: This is the starting point: https://nookdeveloper.barnesandnoble.com/

If you're an US resident it's pretty easy. If not, you have to get a EIN from their tax authorities (which is just a phone call).

@Mike: Hehe, thanks for the welcome! Hope so I'm permitted to do regular posts here soon. Up to now I have to wait for a mod to enable my postings...

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2014 18:12
Thanks for the link, Xaron. I'll check it out.
It looks like they don't support Google IAB so our use of them will be limited a bit by that as we use T1 and there's no way to change the IAP module. We have a similar dilemma with SlideME.
With Sudoku In Space we're planning on adding a few more products (puzzle packs) and unfortunately that will not be possible to offer these as IAPs on any other store than Google. So I have to think about the value of these stores a lot and determine what will be the price of a paid version of the app with all features unlocked. Right now it is $0.99 for the paid version or to pay to remove ads, but once we add in puzzle packs that price won't be appropriate any more.
If anyone knows how to modify the Tier 1 java for other IAP SDKs please contact me!

Xaron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2014 12:17
Yep, I haven't tried NOOK IAPs yet and they refuse apps with Admob as well. So there I just use the good old lite/lull version thing.

BTW: A friend of mine has another interesting blog about his income (which is way higher than mine). He's making a living from it!

http://www.indie-story.com/reports/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 11:01:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 11:01:48