Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / is it possible to change sprites vertices ?

Author
User Banned
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2014 12:48
not that i know but u can use SetSpriteUV and change texture coords.

AGK 108 (B)19 + AppGameKit V2 Alpha .. : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2014 14:41
halliop, do you mean the collision/physics shape? You can set new collision shapes for sprites by creating new polygons but sprites are rectangular / square objects in AGK.
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2014 15:06 Edited at: 9th Oct 2014 15:08
No baxslash, he means this: https://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/detail?id=263 , which I post more than two years ago...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2014 15:37
It is and it isn't.

Sprites are most likely handled as OpenGL quads using a simple array of vertices, so the vertices are hard coded when creating the GL mesh. It would be possible to add a separate function for custom vertex coordinates, but how that ties in with the way AppGameKit already works is another matter.

So possible, but not supported - I'd be very happy to get some more advanced GL sprite features, custom vertex coordinates, more vertices, more dynamic features like that. For example I made a water effect a while ago that uses a simple 2D array to store the height of points then modifies or generates a mesh to suit that data. In native iOS code it was efficient and clean and pretty damn fast too - in DBPro it was achieved with vertex modification of a pre-built mesh, still fast and efficient... but in AppGameKit it would require sprite scissors, would be slow, inefficient, and probably wouldn't be able to look as nice as it does in DBPro and iOS.

So please Paul and TGC - add in support for dynamic GL sprite arrays, triangle lists hopefully and we'll show you all some cool tricks and effects and even some AppGameKit projects that don't look like every other AppGameKit project. We'd be able to make vapour trails from space ships, dynamic wave effects for water etc, wobbly sprites - heck if we could have per-vertex colouring as well then that's a whole other realm of possibilities too!
Plus the optimizations we'd be able to make to sprite draw calls would be a great help for slower devices. A whole particle system could use a single texture source and single sprite draw call - like just add to the sprites vertex array then draw it for however many indices are needed. This was one part of OpenGL that I enjoyed experimenting with, it would be a great addition to AGK/AGKv2 to allow advanced sprites like that I think. AppGameKit needs to be more than just a game centric script language with a minimal sprite engine and lackluster sound replay features.

Seriously, long-toothed TGC users are dragging AppGameKit around by the scruff of the neck, let us push the language and support us by allowing access to more internal GL stuff that is probably in place already. Less abstraction please! - OpenGL doesn't scare us one bit, give us enough access to internal data and we'll soon show it who's boss.

I am the one who knocks...
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2014 16:17
Van B, I TOTALLY AGREE!!! If TGC guys want to make a real money - they must make more freedom for the pro-guys!!! And I'm sure, making AppGameKit only for the amateurs it's a bad idea!
Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2014 01:30
I too would like to see some more advanced sprite commands.

Also, if TGC want to support Spine 100% they have to add some more sprite functions anyway. Just look at this Spine video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dd2M8XBTo0&list=UU_ijsuTUdxMjjM1P30f8Gaw
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2014 03:08 Edited at: 10th Oct 2014 11:33
I can only echo what Van B said. The biggest mistake IMHO with AppGameKit was adding 3D and spreading limited resources even thinner.

AGK could have been the go to language for multi-platform 2D app and game making and it still could be by focusing on it's strengths and not trying to be a jack of all trades.

[removed because I'm stupid]

The reality is that AGK's target audience, solo coders or very small teams, could produce very high quality 2D games, but the equivalent quality in 3D will be, at best, very unlikely.

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2014 05:06
@fog
That sums my thoughts exactly. AppGameKit is really close to being a fantastic 2D game library / engine / language / whatever.

For 3D, however, there are many products / engines that are SO MUCH FURTHER along than AppGameKit (Unity, etc), it's a mistake to spread already very limited resources there... IMO!

Would make more sense it seems to focus on the 2D aspects, where AppGameKit is already one of the better options out there!
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 10th Oct 2014 05:44
actually there is a way but its not for 2D.. but for 3D
if you can manage to build obj file by yourself you can create plains with different vertcy points ,
so you store your pointer points and then create a 3d plane obj file with those 4 or more coords... but still thats not 2d..

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2014 10:21
I'm all for seeing this implemented. It would vastly improve what is possible in 2D and I also agree that AppGameKit should be a 2D engine first. Adding 3D at all is a mistake in my opinion but I can understand why it was done.

Quote: "The one quality 3D AppGameKit game I can think of doesn't even use the 3D commands."

Which game is that?
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2014 11:39 Edited at: 10th Oct 2014 11:39
Quote: "Which game is that?"
I've removed that statement because I was talking rubbish. I meant Eat Drink Slay when it used a ray tracing engine and forgot Cliff had changed it.

The lack of AppGameKit games that use 3D still applies though.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2014 11:56
Still kinda applies though, I mean EDS uses mostly just flat plains and often billboard plains - at it's heart it's 2D

Sadly Cliff is busy with life stuff right now, so EDS is on hold - I'm trying to find time to work on content but its tricky, it turned into a real time consumer did EDS

I am the one who knocks...
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 17:42 Edited at: 19th Oct 2014 17:43
I also think that three-D is a mistake by agk. it is hard to make models with low polygons in programs such as mudbox which I use and it is great in making two d still images as well as threed. The point is if I imported the same object as a obj it would take all the resources because it has of 100,000 point in each mesh. I get think that making a low pol monster for 3d any way would be a great waste of resources.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 19:30
Quote: "I get think that making a low pol monster for 3d any way would be a great waste of resources."

All what resources? There's no law that says you can only program for crappy supermarket phones!

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2014 04:15
+1 here !

Need to control vertices at runtime

--------------
Native Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it not possible to use T2 to get access to the OpenGL instance called by AppGameKit and then override member data that way? Would this not give u all the freedom u need for customizing your own methods and ideas? I thought that this was the whole purpose of T2? Making it somewhat expandable?

Native Technology
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I can only echo what Van B said. The biggest mistake IMHO with AppGameKit was adding 3D and spreading limited resources even thinner.

AGK could have been the go to language for multi-platform 2D app and game making and it still could be by focusing on it's strengths and not trying to be a jack of all trades."

QFA.
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Oct 2014 02:22
Qatar Football Club ?
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2014 15:07
I requested this: https://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/detail?id=263 , to wave my 2d-trees in my game. But now I found the better way to do this - SHADERS!
If you have the similar problem - this is the solution!
haliop_New
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Oct 2014 17:09
i see it got Accepted so im guessing its just a matter of time until we see this implented. anyhow if you have any thoughts about it please share as it will keep this post on the first page and might be extra looked by TGC .
this is a must feature in order to make AppGameKit better.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 17:54:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 17:54:18