Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / iOS 8... exported ipa problems

Author
Competition Prize Winner 2014
Years of Service
User Offline
I developed an app which freezes on iOS 8.1.1 devices. But only if I Export and sign the IPA directly out of the IDE. The strange thing is, if I broadcast the app to the Player on an iOS 8.1.1 iPad, the app works fine, in the same way like on iOS 7 devices.
I found no critical spot in the code. So to me there is a bug in the ipa-export function of the IDE, which only comes to an effect on iOS8 devices...

Actually the app starts and works, but at some Point, may be related to HTTP commands, it freezes. I placed some "bug markes" with the print + sync command, but wasn't able to find the critical code part, since it looks like that the app "detours" some code lines on iOS 8 devices, but not on PC, MAC or ANDROID. Really strange!

Any other experiences with iOS8 upwards?
@Paul: do you have an idea?

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I developed an app which freezes on iOS 8.1.1 devices."

I had an app denied for the same reason, but I wasn't use any HTTP commands. Must be a bug.

Sean

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2014 13:40
Are you using XCode and a Mac?
Tier 1 or Tier 2?

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Tier 1 or Tier 2?"

This seems to be an issue with Tier 1, my Tier 2 app worked fine but not my Tier 1 app.

Quote: "But only if I Export and sign the IPA directly out of the IDE."

Does it work if you compile the Tier 1 app with Xcode instead of with the Export option in the Tier 1 IDE?

Sean

Space Dream Studios
Competition Prize Winner 2014
Years of Service
User Offline
Paul found the reason for the iOS8 problem last night! It seems like that APPLE changed the way of setting up PUSH notification in some way. So it looks like no device token comes back from the app. Since I tried to receive it in a while loop, this loop went into infinity. My false to catch that case, but at the end it looks like all agk apps will have problems with using push service on iOS devices with iOS8 and later, until Paul will find a workaround to get the device token back.

By the way using Tier 1, but this will effect Tier 2 in the same way, I guess.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2014 15:17
No problem in the Tier 2 Lite.
As i exclude all Extras from the AppGameKit 2 version.
Use my template for Tier 2!!! (but you need OBJ C++ knowledge)

dooz
Years of Service
User Offline
How do you build on Xcode? I have checked the docs and I can't find a workable method to build. I tried interpreter_ios but it is missing stuff. Thanks for any clues
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2015 06:02
Sorry dooz never used Tier 1.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2015 20:10
Just got rejected because we have bugs on iOS 8.1.1
Apparently our buttons mysteriously don't work.
Works fine in the simulator, but my simulator says it is running iOS 8.1, not 8.1.1
Trying to update to Yosemite to see if that gives me the newer simulators.
Very tired of this kind of random bugs in AGK. Updating our app to AppGameKit 2 has been a chore.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2015 02:05
Also works on an iPhone 6 running 8.1.2
Apple drives me nuts!

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2015 04:33
You must use Yosemite and last XCode. Apple force always to use last things.
I use V2 and all seems to be ok.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Naphier, try to resubmit again without changes, sometimes it goes through!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2015 05:10
I appealed to them and they approved it. They said the rejection was done in error. Must be the reviewer had a bad device or the install corrupted somehow. It's happened before I send it and they reject, then I send it again with no changes and it's OK... I guess better than no review. I guess...

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
they do that all the time, not just with you
dooz
Years of Service
User Offline
I have very little luck getting much to run on my iPhone 6.

I'm using 3D only, No Http / external access, no files, pretty basic.

Firstly, tried exporting App Player, and load onto the device, it crashes.
Tried exporting IPA and copy on with iTunes, when it runs, it crashes.
I tried building the interpreter_ios and put on the device, it runs, but when broadcast, the app crashes.

The crashes are always EXC_BAD_ACCESS / KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS

How do I build a stand-alone app, is that with template_ios? I took a copy and added my media files, including bytecode, but when it runs, it just shows a blank screen with FPS.

Any help would be appreciated.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2015 00:48
template_ios is for Tier 2 / C++
interpreter_ios is for Tier 1 / BASIC
If you've got bytecode then that's the one to use.
The template iOS is just a blank screen with FPS printout.

I've been able to run an IPA built via the interpreter and run on a 3GS.
I've built the interpreter_ios through xCode and it runs successfully on multiple iOS devices, most of them running iOS 8. It doesn't use any 3D, but it uses a lot of HTTP and file system.

EXC_BAD_ACCESS means a pointer is bad... so that might be something Paul needs to look at. Hopefully xCode will show you more info on the error.

Make sure to put bytecode.byc and any media into the media folder.

You might want to give a quick try with exporting from the IDE with just a simple "Hello world" type program to see if maybe there's an error in your code's logic. If you're accessing an array out of bounds the pointer error might happen. I've seen instances where Windows and Mac are OK with the OOB issue, but not mobile. I think those have gone away on v2, but I can't be sure since I think I've fixed all of them...

So far it's been 90% stable for us on iOS. Seems to be some weird stuff happening around HTTP, but I'm trying to see if that's definitely AppGameKit or something else.
Also note that you probably need a certificate to sign with, so if you haven't signed up as an Apple Dev then you may need to do so.
I'd be willing to test your project if you want to send it to me.

dooz
Years of Service
User Offline
I have tried putting media and bytecode in the interpreter_ios media directory, but it doesn't seem to see it. The app still only runs with blue FPS screen. This is with the simulator, so didn't even bother putting on device.

When I exported the IPA, I used adhoc cert to sign IPA, read it somewhere in the docs. Or should I be using Dev cert? When I save, the app doesn't have .ipa extension by default (are you supposed to add it yourself?). I add it, that drag into iTunes Apps area, then install on device via apps list "Install" button. That all works. However, as soon as I start the app, it crashes.

I will check all of your points re: simple "Hello World" app first, then see if there are any array issues (I use a lot creating mazes, etc.)

Thanks!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2015 03:28
When you put the bytecode/media into interpreter_ios are you using xCode to compile? Are you adding the files to the xCode project?
When exporting the IPA from the IDE I get an actual IPA file. Are you using the newest IDE 2.0.1? It has a field when exporting the IPA for the output filename and it should be automatically filled out with a file that has an IPA extension. It is in mine at least.

dooz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2015 03:57 Edited at: 13th Jan 2015 04:05
Yes, I use XCode. I add them to the media folder. The project includes the folder directly, not as a smart folder, so it automatically updates and sees the files as soon as I copy.

Re: IPA, I am using 2.0.10, I was looking in the wrong directory!
Anyhow, it still crashes when run.

I need to try and get the XCode one running, any ideas why the interpreter_ios doesn't see the bytecode.byc?
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2015 04:00
In xCode you need to right click on the media folder and add files to ensure they are added to the project. That's all I can think of.
Beyond that, no clue. Mine works.

dooz
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks anyway, I'll have a play and let you know.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2015 07:32
If the added folder is blue in the Xcode IDE, then any files you put in it will automatically be recognized.

When you add a folder to the project, there are two options (which I cannot check at the moment). One adds the directory, but you need to manually 'add' any new files. The other makes it a link (I think), the color is blue, and any files added are automagically part of the build.

It helps to clean before a build. Sometimes it is even good to close the project and manually delete the entire Build directory using the Mac version of File Manager.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
dooz
Years of Service
User Offline
Found my issue, bad 3d object id, i.e. 0, causing a 3d command to bail. Not sure which command, since most still work and print out a message.

I thought that in Tier 1, this kind of thing couldn't happen, i.e. if there was a debugging mode, it could tell me that 0 is not valid. Anyhow, there isn't a debugging mode, and it can have issues!

Thanks for everyone's help.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 07:24:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 07:24:59