Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Got a magnet implanted into my fingertip - For SCIENCE!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 17:31 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2014 17:47
Two days ago I implanted a neodymium magnet into the tip of my ring finger on my left hand. I'll document my experiences during and after the healing process in this thread, and answer any questions you may have.

WARNING: All following images are graphic and contain blood. I documented as much of the procedure as possible. If you cannot handle these kinds of pictures, do not view them.

FAQ

Why?
Because it's awesome.

What does it do?
The fingertip is one of the few locations in the body with a very dense collection of nerve endings. Once healed, the magnet will vibrate in tandem with nearby magnetic fields, giving me the ability to sense the shape, strength and frequency of these fields. Call it a "6th sense", if you will. Examples of fields are power outlets, high voltage power lines, railway electrical lines, stoves, etc.

Furthermore, I will be able to pick up small metallic objects and I'll have the ability to tell whether an object is magnetic or not.

All of these things could prove extremely useful as an electrical engineer.

You are crazy, go seek professional help
I believe we should experience as much as possible in our short lives and this is definitely one of the coolest things I've ever done. So no, I don't think I require professional help, I'm merely thinking outside of the box.

Won't the magnet degrade?
The magnet is coated in silicone, so it is non-reactive to living tissue. The magnetic properties will not degrade unless the magnet is subject to extremely high temperatures or very strong magnetic fields (such as an MRI).

Won't the magnet destroy my credit card/other things?
No, it is too weak to erase a magnetic strip or to interfere with wireless communication.

What about an MRI?
There is a story of someone with the same kind of implant who got an MRI and forgot about the magnet. Contrary to popular belief, the magnet did not rip out of his finger, it merely vibrated intensely and heated up a little.

How much did it cost?
I paid around 100$ for the magnet, the operation was performed by a good friend (a trained surgeon) for free in their basement.

Why the ring finger?
In the off chance anything does go horribly wrong, the ring finger on the non-writing hand is the least used finger.

What can go wrong?
It's a relatively safe procedure. From what I've heard, there's a 10% chance the magnet could be rejected from the body rather than being encapsulated with scar tissue. A lot of puss and pain ensues and a second operation is recommended to remove the magnet. The body usually accepts the magnet when inserted a second time some time later.

The first generation of magnets had an issue where the silicone layer would completely dissolve, exposing the neodymium metal undereath. The body would begin to eat away at the magnet, swelling occurs, and you'll feel immense pain. The magnet has to be removed from the finger in this case. I'm using a third generation magnet and so far there have been no reports of the above occurring.

It is very dangerous to be near strong magnets with an implant like this (especially permanent magnets). A magnet from a hard drive could cause serious damage if it were to connect with the implanted magnet, for instance.

What about travel?
I was given an official card to prove that the thing in my finger isn't a bomb. When travelling I only need to show the card and I'm good to go.

The Procedure
WARNING: These images are graphic and contain blood. Do not view if you cannot handle these kinds of images.
First, a local anesthetic is injected on both sides of the finger. The two holes are still visible in this photo:

To stop the bleeding, the finger is "clamped" using... err... professional methods:

An incision is made on the side of the fingertip, then a pocket is carved out underneath the fat to make space for the magnet:

It is recommended to place the magnet not directly under the fingertip but rather off to the side. This is in order to prevent the host from damaging their finger when they do a "grab reflex", such as in the bus when it suddenly turns a corner.

The magnet is inserted into the pocket:

The wound is stitched:

and bandaged:

I found it fascinating to watch the procedure. I guess I'm immune to "butt tingling".

I can't wait for it to heal, but it's going to take a minimum of a month before I can start using it to its full potential. The stitches will be removed in 14 days. The finger has to be disinfected and re-bandaged every 2 days for the next month.

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linus Torvalds
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 19:18
Wow, what an interesting idea!

I could swear you've posted about it before somewhere too, am I right or am I going insane?

Either way, that sounds really cool, though I'd be afraid of accidentally erasing files off of hard drives and old video tapes

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 20:37
48 hours after the operation.
This is without doubt the most painful thing I've ever felt in my life. I couldn't sleep last night at all, even with painkillers. The pain feels like an intense burning sensation and every heart beat surges through the finger like a knife stab. I ended up staying up the whole night and watching Gladiator (good movie, watch it) and some Hell's Kitchen.

A few moments ago I took the bandages off for the first time for mandatory wound control.

[Slight warning]
http://i.imgur.com/b8sbofk.jpg

Swollen and painful, but the healing process seems to be on a good track. The blue areas you see there is blood. Swelling was delayed for some reason, usually the normal response to trauma lasts 6-12 hours and then swelling and pain ensues for 2-4 days, this is a mechanism to allow wounded animals to escape, but in my case it only started to swell after approximately 24 hours. Not sure why.

Quote: "I could swear you've posted about it before somewhere too, am I right or am I going insane?"

I think I mentioned it in The Posting Competition at one point but I hadn't done the operation yet.

Quote: "Either way, that sounds really cool, though I'd be afraid of accidentally erasing files off of hard drives and old video tapes"

The magnet is too weak to do that, so no worries.

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linus Torvalds
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 21:03
Quote: "I think I mentioned it in The Posting Competition at one point but I hadn't done the operation yet."

Ah, ok. That explains it and is much more logical than my assumed accidental time travel. I've been having weird deja-vu feelings all day, particularly about this whole topic.

I can't imagine what it must feel like healing, your descriptions make me cringe. Hopefully you'll be able to sleep soon!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 21:53
Quote: "the operation was performed by a good friend (a trained surgeon) for free in their basement."

In the UK that person would be struck off the medical register and face legal charges. Their 16 years of training to become a surgeon would become worthless.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 22:31
No need to ruin the mood like that...

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 22:36 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2014 22:38
Quote: "In the UK that person would be struck off the medical register and face legal charges."

In every other semi-civilised country aswell.

While from my point of view, disrespecting your body like that is in no way sanctioned, it is your body.

Quote: "I was given an official card to prove that the thing in my finger isn't a bomb. When travelling I only need to show the card and I'm good to go."

Who...gives these out?

Quote: "Swollen and painful, but the healing process seems to be on a good track."

Its remarkable how disconnected you are from your body to just randomly do this to yourself ...but then again, I'm tattoed, and while its not a solid metal object in my body, I might want to get off my high horse. Whatever floats your boat, mate!

Well, now only one question remains: Does your gal/guy have a ...piercing?

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 22:50 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2014 00:06
Quote: "Its remarkable how disconnected you are from your body to just randomly do this to yourself ...but then again, I'm tattoed, and while its not a solid metal object in my body, I might want to get off my high horse. Whatever floats your boat, mate!"

That's an interesting statement.

I see my body kind of like a sailor and his ship. I think you should take good care of your ship, perform daily maintenance and such, but I'm also fascinated in modifying my ship to do things others cannot.

I'm not one for tattoos or more gross modifications like cutting off half of your nose and having holes in your cheeks, I don't see any practicality in that. The magnet is not something visually appealing, it is actually something usable in my day to day work.

I've been planning to do this operation for nearly a year and have thoroughly done my research on risks and benefits. I'm very aware of the consequences.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 22:58
Quote: "No need to ruin the mood like that..."

Better to highlight the implications than lock the thread for discussing potentially illegal activitites, surely?

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 23:27 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2014 02:54
brb accidentally damaging delicate electronics with bionic finger

(Is there no chance of damaging delicate components?)
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 23:30
Quote: "Better to highlight the implications than lock the thread for discussing potentially illegal activitites, surely?"

Ah, I see.

Well rest assured that in the country I got this done in a licensed surgeon is allowed to do private surgery on clients without consequences. While I did say "basement", it was a controlled laboratory.

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 23:39
I can understand the pain, I put a splinter of cane through my thumb once while testing a home made bow, it sort of knitted my thumbs skin(print side) into folds and hurt something rotten, the intense pulsating throbbing kept me awake for a couple days after it was removed, no painkiller worked for me either. Had a commis chefs job a few years back and twice I sliced the tip of the very same thumb off while chopping veg at speed, same result with the pain.
You should be wary though, the ring finger is a key finger for your tendons(we don`t have muscles in fingers according to Stephen Fry of QI tv show), I have a thing called Dupuytren's contracture (aka viking disease). The first signs of this was some loss/blunting of feeling in said finger - lot of tingling in my case, docs didn't have a clue why after testing for carpel tunnel damage etc but were sure it was nerve damage even though nerve tests came back inconclusive, about 6 moths later the contracture started and as it affects ring finger primarily I found restriction of movement in index finger as well which then progressed to other fingers and thumb. Overall this means weakened grip and loss of dexterity/limited use and control. What they have said though is that its a familial disease, affects small percentage of population, all of who have ancestors of scandinavian origin and is most likely triggered by physical trauma - in my case the thumb damage after slicing through nerves and then jumping straight into use of hand after a rest period while waiting for it to heal. Its actually in my palm rather than the fingers as you might not expect and is actually scar tissue that forms on the tendon and effectively it kind of glues your tendons to the skin. What I was told is that normally your tendons will heal themselves with collagen 1 but in this case it does it with collagen 3 - that's the "disease" part as it were. The relevance being that when your hand is out of action and upon healing isn't put back into action gently/progressively you may overstretch tendons causing them to knot up(tendonitis or tendonosis). Its the incorrect healing of this knotted area called scar tissue (much like when you overstretch that sort of elasticated textile stuff) that is the cause of contracture which over time will slowly prevent you opening your hand as the fingers get bent in towards the palm when repairing incorrectly. In the uk the NHS will only operate when fingers are bent towards palm by 90 degrees and in majority of cases returns with vengeance. Normally people aged 40+ and mostly males are at risk unless trauma triggers it earlier. Also it can often skip generations. There is a simple excercise you can do that show the significance of the ring finger in relation to use of tendons that indicates lack of muscles in fingers(also shown on the QI tv show), can't quite remember it but am pretty sure it involves putting fingers and thumb in contact with flat surface with a different finger bent inwards each time you do it then trying to lift each 1 up from flat surface, iirc its something like that when you try and raise the ring finger when your middle finger is bent in, well it doesn`t work as they share same tendon or something like that.
Obviously this may not affect you but if your family has any history of the disease there is every chance you may get this in coming months/years if you don`t ease your hand back into action. This is something the medical profession doesn't know much about in terms of cause, my docs seem certain its trauma others say smoking, drinking, diabetes, certain medications and work related activity but none of them are certain as they can only deduce from recorded figures relating to lifestyles of the afflicted which is a simple case of probability rather than fact.
You may wish to check my info as I type it from memory, I hope(sincerely) my docs are wrong about the trauma trigger and also hope your not genetically affected. Sorry for long, probably incoherent post, but felt this was worth a mention in case you experience any of it. I just know how shocked and scared I became when none of this was known to me and the symptons started showing up, docs also told me it would be painless, they are very wrong about that part in my case, I can't put a screw in soft wood without agony, neither can I play BF4 properly, nothing worse than stepping out to throw a nade only to find I am stabbing the air with a blade while watching them spot me and take aim!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 23:47
@TheComet

Which organ are you thinking of augmenting next?

With luck the scars should heal very quickly - I'm less sure about residual discomfort in the finger. That could feel very wrong for several weeks or even months afterwards. Years ago I managed to get a tiny metal fragment or similar item lodged under the skin of one finger. It was too insignificant to warrant medical intervention but was too big to be completely ignorable. It took many months before it was completely pain free and is just detectable even now. I haven't checked it for magnetic properties. Perhaps I should?

Are you sure your surgeon friend wasn't a figment of Mary Shelley's imagination?

Powered by Free Banners
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 23:56
Quote: "I haven't checked it for magnetic properties. Perhaps I should?"

Huh, what kind of metal? Maybe you can magnetize it?

Isn't that a little problematic, seeing as the metal is in direct contact with your body?

Quote: "Are you sure your surgeon friend wasn't a figment of Mary Shelley's imagination?"

Come to think of it, I did see a huge lightning rod on the building and thick cables leading down into the laboratory.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2014 00:35
I take it you have been typing with one hand lately?

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't even open the pictures and my finger hurts I guess it'll be interesting to see the results. The downside of implanting something where there are a lot of nerves is... well... there are a lot of nerves there Ouch How many other people have been doing this?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2014 09:37 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2014 09:39
@James H - Interesting, I haven't heard of that before. As far as I know none of my family members show signs of that, so I should be fine.

Quote: "I take it you have been typing with one hand lately?"

Only when it's extremely painful. I'm still able to accurately hit those keys.

Quote: "How many other people have been doing this?"

There are a few thousand people with these implants now.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2014 11:34
Quote: "There are a few thousand people with these implants now."

Here's one of them:

Powered by Free Banners
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2014 17:55
Quote: "This is without doubt the most painful thing I've ever felt in my life"

Sorry, but....

I don't see this as disrespecting your body, nor illegal as I've seen body modification go way beyond this. People have had horns surgically implanted into their skull.

If you do develop an extra sense, that would be cool. But that's one super power I'm ok to live without. I don't want to feel every electronic device around me.

Oh, and why in the heck did the magnet cost $100?

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2014 19:12
Quote: "Sorry, but...."

Accurate...

Quote: "why in the heck did the magnet cost $100?"

It's specifically designed to be implanted. I could probably have bought the magnet from someone else for a cheaper price, or even done the silicone coating myself on a normal magnet, but this particular type of magnet has been proven to work as it's been implanted into thousands of other people.

I didn't want to take any chances.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2014 04:02
Very interesting how some people are somewhat objecting to this, or finding it weird; It is indeed an issue we will face in the future as implants become more and more common.
That said, this is a pretty cool idea i must say ^^ Wouldnt do it meself though :3

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2014 04:13 Edited at: 4th Dec 2014 04:40
So are you able to feel magnetic stuff yet? Or is the pain still too strong to feel anything but, well, pain?

Someday, if I have some spare money and some spare lay low time for recovery, this would be an epic thing to have done. I get ridiculously squeamish at the thought, though. D:

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2014 04:16
What happens if you try picking up a large neodymium magnet with that hand?
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2014 08:36
Quote: "Very interesting how some people are somewhat objecting to this, or finding it weird; It is indeed an issue we will face in the future as implants become more and more common.
That said, this is a pretty cool idea i must say ^^ Wouldnt do it meself though :3"

Yes, I noticed that too. It seems only a few selection of people find it interesting, the vast majority are either disgusted by it or just don't want to talk about it. I wonder why that is? Are my views that different?

I don't think I'll ever bring it up in general conversation unless someone specifically asks me about it; it seems like a potentially rude thing to talk about.

Quote: "So are you able to feel magnetic stuff yet? Or is the pain still too strong to feel anything but, well, pain?"

The pain has lasted for about 3 days. I'm currently on day 4, the throbbing pain is gone but it's still not pleasant to touch the wound. It takes a few months before I can really start feeling fields.

Quote: "What happens if you try picking up a large neodymium magnet with that hand?"

I will be like Magneto from X-men. I can levitate the magnet and even launch it at foes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t8yDnyOaQ8

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2014 10:29
Quote: "Yes, I noticed that too. It seems only a few selection of people find it interesting, the vast majority are either disgusted by it or just don't want to talk about it. I wonder why that is? Are my views that different?
"

I think it's a cool idea, probably not something I would to myself but I do see the appeal of it and I would love to know the result.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2014 11:08
Quote: "I will be like Magneto from X-men. I can levitate the magnet and even launch it at foes."

Er? How would you let go? Wouldn't you be launching yourself?