Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [BUG] AGK Version 2.0.10: AGK loses connection to Steam when app is closed

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2014 04:51 Edited at: 6th Dec 2014 04:52
Hi,

I found a bug with the Steam connection.
When you run AppGameKit via Steam, Steam tells you, that you are currently using "App Game Kit 2".
When you write and run a program/game made in AppGameKit and close that program again, Steam tells you, that you are currently "online" and don't use any program or game.
If you run the written program again, Steam tells you again that you are using "App Game Kit 2".

It seems, that the Steam integration of the written program ("Added Steam overlay to Windows interpreter when run from the IDE") doesn't return the "focus" of Steam back to AGK.

Yes, I am aware that I sound like a caveman to native english speakers
Pong Clone 2k14 {Android}
Multicoder
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 21:34
Is there a way to disable this feature in the meantime?
I have to set my status to "offline" when developing because it's really annoying for the people in my friendslist when every 5 - 10 minutes a popup appears saying that I am now using App Game Kit 2

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 21:45
Since we can't integrate the Steam SDK into the IDE because of GPL licensing issues, the interpreter is the only exe that Steam is aware of, so it must be assuming AGK2 is closed when the interpreter is closed.

To stop the connection to Steam you could rename the file SteamApps\common\App Game Kit 2\Tier 1\Compiler\interpreters\steam_api.dll to stop it being used.
Multicoder
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 22:36 Edited at: 7th Dec 2014 22:37
I'm glad you explained it, Paul
I've been brave and moved to the steam_api.dll and steam_appid.txt to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\App Game Kit 2\Tier 1\Editor\bin
I tried it and it seems to work now
Now the Interpreter isn't linked to steam anymore but at least my status message is correct again and I can track the time I'm using AppGameKit

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 05:23:01
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 05:23:01