Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Where is the debugger?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Look, I do development also. I don't recall ever having one of my projects being on time. ALWAYS late. But, I really really want the debugger. Original roadmap was delivery in December 2013. Now we are in December 2014 and no debugger. A year late is a lot even for me. What disturbs me even more is that I see functionality added to AppGameKit that I don't believe is in the kickstarter roadmap. Linux support and Steam support are not in the roadmap. I dont know how much effort it took to add these, but they are still a distraction from the roadmap. I feel that AppGameKit development is losing focus on what was promised on kickstarter.
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2014 18:50 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2014 18:50
I have asked in the forums 2 times for the debugger but I got no response.
AGK V2 is a one man show project.
I understand the difficulties for the author of the AppGameKit V2 but at least an answer deserves to all of us we are backers
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2014 18:51
What does it need a debugger, and what should it do?

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Dec 2014 19:00
I imagine implementing a debugger is a lot more work than you might think.

I have never really used a debugger, to tell you the truth, so I'm not sure what advantages it might have over the current system, other than a breakpoint system (which I've also never used).

I do agree that an answer would be nice though!

7+ years and counting!
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2014 21:42
Hi Jim,
Quote: "What does it need a debugger, and what should it do?"

My life a bit easier
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Paul was reportedly going to start working on the debugger after releasing the new IDE months ago. However the Steam launch presumably consumed a lot of that time, but has proven successful so I trust TGC will be working to get the debugger and additional 3D commands added on short notice next year.

Quote: "What does it need a debugger, and what should it do?"

A debugger was on the list of new features from the Kickstarter and would really complete the nice new IDE for Tier 1. If it could behave like Visual Studio / XCode and others, we would then be able to set breakpoints or tracepoints and monitor code execution line-by-line. A definite time saver when troubleshooting or validating a particular function.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2014 00:46
the best debugging feature up to now is Print(...)

AGK 108 (B)19 + AppGameKit V2 Alpha .. : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2014 11:29
Print and Message goes a long way. You can also print to a log file. Debugger is the next big update and likely quite useful. I think it is great that we are getting requested features outside the Kickstarter roadmap. Otherwise we would have to wait a long time to get things we need that doesn't take a long time to add. There are other reasons why AppGameKit 2 is delayed. But let's put that behind us. AppGameKit is progressing and getting more awesome by every update.

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2014 16:27
i agree that agk is getting bigger and better every update.

people are making games just fine without a debugger.

i also use the print() statement to track a variable that may be going wrong. works every time for me.

roujesky
Years of Service
User Offline
I hear what everyone says about using the print statement. But, I guarantee that once you use a debugger, you will never go back! Your productivity will seriously increase.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2014 11:48
Productivity might increase. Especially if I can bring up all my variables and check their values at any time. Saving me the trouble to exit the program. Write in print statements and then run it again. That way I would also easily be able to check multiple variables easily. Maybe it wasn't that variable I thought of, now I have to do it all over again.

But the lack of a debugger isn't stopping us from making games. Which is the point I wanted to make. There are other things that directly affects the end result, and if they are quick to fix then I think they are worthwhile.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2014 16:46
I have massive "debugging" facilities at my disposal. I almost never use them, apart from a trace-back. Debuggers can cause as many problems as they solve, in time-critical programs.Sometime things will work with the debugging mode on, but not when it's not.

Logic is the best debugger.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2014 17:00
Quote: "I hear what everyone says about using the print statement. But, I guarantee that once you use a debugger, you will never go back! Your productivity will seriously increase. "

darkbasic pro... that has a debugger correct? I never use it and much prefer the print statement to see whats goin on.

even when agk gets it.... its something i will never use.

Its completely a matter of preference.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 22:03:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 22:03:52