Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / A few urgent questions before buying (today! :)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone,

I have a few unrelated questions that I would love if someone could help me with:

1) how stable is agk2 at preset overall? Things like:
A) are there API calls that don't quite work?
B) is the basic interpreter solid, or does it sometimes barf for unknown reasons?
C) is absolutely every call available also in Tier 2, working the same? On every target device?
D) does the over-the-air device testing work consistently well, or is the ide sometimes not capable of reaching

2) how is the performance overall ?
A) on both tiers - can you trow many sprites at it without it collapsing?
B) is performance consistent across target devices? Is the one/move that are slouches?

3) how bad is it's work on tier 1 without a debugger? What are you left with? Printf type things?

4) finally, do you get a steam key if you recently bought (NOT PLEDGED) agk from TGC directly?

I have vague plans for World Domination
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 02:44
The commands in the language are stable. Still waiting on full 3D.
3rd party API works, but Facebook implementation is quickly approaching its end of life (February).
Basic interpreter is solid. Only seems to "barf" when accessing arrays out of bounds, which is easier to check for with the new version.
1-c No, but mostly. I'm not sure what ones have differences off the top of my head.
1-d Some folks have issues, but I think it is firewall related. Hard to tell since I've never really had issues with broadcasting.

2 - Good performance. I've never had the program crash due to too many sprites. I think I've pushed it well over 5,000. Framerate dies, but on windows no lower than 30FPS from what I recall. It's device dependent (memory, GPU). Performance is consistent if you take out hardware as a factor, but that's always an issue. Most games built with AppGameKit have no issues with performance, other than loading times on mobile.

3 - Well... No debugger just slows you down. For debugging I write to a log file sometimes, sometimes some text on screen. It all depends on what I need to look at.

4 - no clue, but I imagine if you email their sales support that they might hook you up.

Overall it's a pretty stable engine. Great for intro level development. It's missing a lot of 3rd party functionality that is common in today's mobile games like Google Play leaderboards and other game services. Ads are locked to AdMob or Chartboost (although Chartboost pays pretty well) and you can only use a single provider. FB functionality works for login, but you probably can't get friend's lists anymore, you should be able to publish to wall still. It needs more 3rd party SDK integration abilities. Right now it's all pretty plain and old with the exception of Chartboost. Internal functionality is pretty solid.

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Naphier, I decided to bite the bullet just now and buy it at the 11th hour of the Winter Deal - We'll see!

I have vague plans for World Domination
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 23:12
Actually, on 1.c, all commands are available in Tier 2 (plus some that are not available in Tier 1, unless they've been added in V2).

But some commands are specific to some platforms (and this applies to Tier 1 as well).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 11:07:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 11:07:34