Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK2 Multi-Touch Oddities!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 00:46
Just started experimenting with AGK2's multi-touch commands on a 10-point multi-touch Windows tablet.

I've noticed some unexpected behaviour regarding the numbering of TouchEvents in AGK2's internally-managed 'event list'.

I'll try to explain my findings and hopefully someone can offer input as to whether this is deliberate behaviour or a bug?

1) You capture your first touch event (e.g. a single finger press & hold) using GetRawFirstTouchEvent and interrogate/store this event's properties. We'll call this event 'TE1' and it's index in AGK2's is 1.

2) Whilst maintaining the first finger-press, you now add a second simultaneous touch event, 'TE2' and use a combination of GetRawFirstTouchEvent() + GetRawNextTouchEvent to interrogate the events.

At this point TE1's index is transposed - and is held at index 2 in AGK2's touch event list, whilst the second touch event is now at index 1.

3) As we add further fingers to generate (up to 10-finger) multi-touch events, each new event transposes the previous events that are still active.

This behaviour seems a little odd - we're left with touch events that are a moving target in terms of their indexing, making it trickier to compare the changing status of individual fingers from frame to frame during execution.

Is this a bug, a side-effect of the event list acting like a stack, or am I missing something fundamental that doesn't appear to be well documented?

Grateful for any thoughts and insight from this excellent community.

Kind Regards,

KultiVator

( Aggravated > Constipated > Mutilated ) < KultiVated
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 10:58
I spent quite a bit of time on this a while back, it's a little confusing but if you use SetRawTouchValue and GetRawTouchValue you can track which touch event is which much more easily. I agree it's not ideal but once you get your head around it it's not so bad. Actually it makes it easier to find a 'new' touch event because new events will not have this value set yet by your code.
KultiVator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 13:17
Many thanks Baxslash for sharing your experience of the dark art of multi-touch! It will be interesting to experiment further with the next time I'm working in AGK.

Set/GetRawTouchValue have just jumped to the top of my reading & research list

Happy New Year!

KultiVator

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2015 04:02
The IDs are assigned by the device and are only really useful for communication between the device and AppGameKit, each platform will handle it differently.
KultiVator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2015 13:47
Thanks Paul - I've made good progress since submitting the initial post.

I was just experimenting with commands to get a feel for how multi-touch worked - hadn't spotted the ability to Set/Get values and have since found some example code that makes things a lot clearer.

Certainly good to have the option of building some novel touch interfaces!

Thanks again Paul / Baxslash for taking time to post useful info.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 18:38:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 18:38:36