Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Restart Level

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 13:16
Impetus - I agree, I think I've made my last post in any of his/her topics, trying to be as helpful as possible in the spirit of the forum.

I was awake half the night because a fault on our burglar alarm made it keep going off. I had an idea for a game strictly for AppGameKit programmers where each level failed to work because of bugs in supplied code snippets. You progress by cleaning up the code snippet. Example snippet:

x = 0
z = 2
y = z / x

Could be fun. What do you think?

Onwards and sometimes upwards
Behdadsoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 13:16
Ok, I think should work on small games for begin.

Thanks All for help.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 13:48
We're happy to help, but you have to do the work.

When I started programming there was no Internet, no forums, no help at all. Just the language definition and a few examples. I had to learn by careful examination of the examples, and a lot of painful experiments.

This has not changed.

Behdadsoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 13:56 Edited at: 9th Jan 2015 13:56
Quote: "We're happy to help, but you have to do the work.

When I started programming there was no Internet, no forums, no help at all. Just the language definition and a few examples. I had to learn by careful examination of the examples, and a lot of painful experiments.

This has not changed."

I love old Programmers, because learn Programming At worst.

Technology makes idle mind.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 14:29
"...because learn Programming At worst." makes no sense. :s

JimHawkins is just making the point that you are clearly trying to run before you can walk.

Behdadsoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 14:58
Thank you JimHawkins.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 15:22
CJB - That's right.

Behdadsoft - I am so old that when I see shadows I think they may be dinosaurs.

Every year I teach one module at my local university. I am very patient. But if a student does not listen to my feedback, there is only one outcome - FAIL. You have shown no attempt to learn from the vast amount of help that has been given in your numerous threads this on this forum. I don't know where you live or what language you speak, but lack of effort is universal across the planet.

I see that you have started a new thread about sprites. We have advised you to learn to program simple things before messing with the graphics. You have ignored everything that many kind people have suggested.

You may love Old Programmers, but this one does not love you. You have wasted my time and the time of many others. Until you learn to experiment, solve problems and rely upon yourself you will always fail.

Please go and buy some books on programming and do some work.

I am no longer interested in your questions, because you are not interested in the answers. I think that you should perhaps try cooking or another activity - but then you obviously wouldn't read the recipe book.

It pains me to say all this, and I am sad. But you must help yourself by trying to solve problems, not posting many message a day asking for solutions to problems that you appear to be too lazy to tackle.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 15:28
Quote: "When I started programming there was no Internet, no forums, no help at all"

Remember the days when you bought a magazine and typed in the code from the mag? If you got just one thing wrong it failed, nobody could help you fix it...unless you had a neighbour who knew stuff.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 16:24
I agree with Jim, we do not work for TGC, we are not your personal support team.
We are other users like yourself, and you have nagged a hole in our heads...

You are back to the same, black border thing that we tried to explain before, I give up.

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
Behdadsoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 16:27 Edited at: 9th Jan 2015 16:30
Quote: "I agree with Jim, we do not work for TGC, we are not your personal support team."

I think you miss me very angry.
But I'm not angry at you.

Quote: "You are back to the same, black border thing that we tried to explain before, I give up. "

yes, it only work with single image. and no work with two half image.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 16:37
All of that!

The only recourse then was books. I programmed a Moon Lander on the Apple ][
and needed to know the moon's gravitational acceleration. Nowadays that's a few seconds on Google. On the bookshelf behind me I have the book I bought then - "Astronomical Quantities." I then had to find a book on rocket equations, which I did. Then I had to put it all together.

I'm a writer, not somebody with a maths or science background. But I learned so much by reading and trying - and ultimately there is no other way.

Is it easier now, having easy access to expert opinion? Maybe not. Many people seem to want instant, easy solutions. But without the struggle to understand there is no real solution. Programming is mostly boring, What brings it to life is when something runs and seems like some living creature on the display. That should be yours, not cut and paste.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 17:48
Going back to the black bars issue: The ratio calculation thing works perfectly with two half images, you were just trying to run before you can walk and failing to understand what the function does.

I have to agree with some of the other chaps here. Have a go at writing something closer to your technical ability. A simple text-based memory game or similar. You will learn the basics and gradually build your skills until you can deal with the more advanced stuff. If you can't, then I personally think you'd be better off sticking to a 'drag & drop' style of game development. Something like GameSalad would suit you better perhaps (I've never used it myself)? Or even better, have a look at something like FPS Creator Reloaded! You'll love it! It does physics and everything!

Behdadsoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 19:28 Edited at: 9th Jan 2015 20:21
Quote: "I personally think you'd be better off sticking to a 'drag & drop' style of game development. Something like GameSalad would suit you better perhaps (I've never used it myself)?"

I never can working with drag and drop engines.because at first I used programming for make game.

some users have more than 20 years Programming Experience. and maybe anythings is easier for them.While I begin Programming less than 2 year.
you learn Programming at university and I learn it with Practice and work with game engines.

i'ts not good idea that I Take up stamp collecting or cooking or ... .

I made a racing commercial game that wrote more that 2000 line only for garage.(select car, select map, save and loading, get input name, damage system, nitro and ...)

you can see Pics form below links:

http://3dfoundry.tk/forum/index.php?topic=164.15

http://3dfoundry.tk/forum/index.php?topic=164.0

made a space shooter game :

this is a ready game for publish to android (still wait for finish android port for game-editor)

simulate little part of contra nes game:

and this is Palatform game with AGK:

and ..., that for made them wrote script.

I create little Program with autoit Script and wrote Hundreds line.

already said, and again say, I'm newbie Programmer and should Get a lot of experience.

but question is why I could wrote Program with autoit, can write script in some engines and can't good work with AppGameKit?

Answer is AppGameKit is not stable and have bugs. and no have any good examples. now have standard example for each command like autoit script or unity or ... . there is no any clue about problem in forum or google for AGK. seem AppGameKit designed for only Profession Programmers but I don't know why before sell it no talk about this issue.

when I start new Topic for any Problem user tell read document and example. when read document and examples, again tell me you can't do it and should use another way.(like Physics Platform game)

for create a simple climb ladder after more than 10 day me and any users couldn't made it.

about scissor I read document and seen Development Tips that said use SetScissor(0,0,0,0) for fix blackborder, while in below topic I find different between Development Tips and real work. now again I back to first point. because scissor don't work with half image. why??????

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=212923&b=41

AGK is not stable, Please do not blame me for it.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 23:08

I don't understand a lot of what you write: "and ..., that for made them wrote script." doesn't mean anything.

The very sad reality is that Behdadsoft is likely to promote himself with his multiple screenshots of nice looking images that he's managed to put together with all the code snippets that he has got the community to write for him, and will probably end up getting sponsorship to create some very lucrative software... It's kind of inspiring me to get my a** into gear an get some of my own games/apps finished/published!

@Behdadsoft: Black bars - Either overdraw your sprites beyond the edge of your specified dimensions (setscissor stylee), OR stretch the whole lot to fit the device using the ratio method depending on what is best for your app. There are often many ways to skin a cat. That doesn't mean AppGameKit is not stable, it just means it is not for you. Please stick to Game Editor. It looks like you're good at it.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2015 23:37
Amen.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 00:44
Quote: "The very sad reality is that Behdadsoft is likely to promote himself with his multiple screenshots of nice looking images that he's managed to put together with all the code snippets that he has got the community to write for him, and will probably end up getting sponsorship to create some very lucrative software"

Yeah I'm starting to doubt any of his credibility. Honestly I'm surprised mods haven't stepped in and tried to see if something else is going on, like he's ripping off other people's work?

If you're having such trouble with AppGameKit Behdadsoft, I find it hard to believe you did some other programming with other engines. If you can't figure out AppGameKit how could you figure out another one? AGk is dead easy!

Quote: "AGK is not stable, Please do not blame me for it."

If it's so unstable why do you insist on using it, and then annoying us with "how can I" threads and refusing to use or listen to any of our advice?

Go back to your other engines you've used, or as someone else said use FPSCR.

It's back, baby!
Behdadsoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 05:55 Edited at: 10th Jan 2015 07:42
Quote: "The very sad reality is that Behdadsoft is likely to promote himself with his multiple screenshots of nice looking images."

this is first time I show my other works to another forum.I show my work because you want show me worthless.

and the very sad CJB you and some user promote himself with Worthless show others and Define their own programming background.(50 year, 20 year,....)
Compare their experience with me.I'm sorry.

Amen.

Quote: "If it's so unstable why do you insist on using it, and then annoying us with "how can I" threads and refusing to use or listen to any of our advice?
"

I insist for use it because i paid money for it and washed my time.and I want At least make a little game.

Quote: "Go back to your other engines you've used, or as someone else said use FPSCR."

I'll decide what to do engine.

Quote: "Please stick to Game Editor."

sure when finish android port for game-editor I leave AppGameKit and other engine.
Behdadsoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 06:20
See below link:

http://www.slant.co/topics/341/viewpoints/28/~what-are-the-best-2d-game-engines~app-game-kit#6

above link Confirmation my said about bugs in AGK.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 09:18
How do you know there are bugs? You don't know enough to find out!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 10:05
It's a shame to say this but I agree with others here. I stopped looking at your threads because you don't listen or take advice. You are generally polite and maybe don't deserve some of the flaming going on here but honestly you should have tried AppGameKit before buying it. You need to either have a basic understanding of programming or the ability to learn. You appear to have neither.

That said your games are looking far more promising than I imagined and if you can change your attitude a little and make a genuine attempt to fix a problem before posting a question I will still be happy to help. I'll watch your future posts hoping this will be the case.

Behdadsoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 11:02
Quote: "but honestly you should have tried AppGameKit before buying it"

before buy, I tried it and good worked all thing for PC. with demo version I can't export apk and see what happen then buying it.for this reason still working with AppGameKit v1 and don't want buy ver 2.

However, Thanks All for help me till now.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 18:02
I have to agree with Baxslash. People like to help, but you need to help yourself first. Please take this as constructive:

1. When you ask a question, show what you have already tried. You should always make more effort than the people helping you. 90% should be your efforts, and 10% (or less) is other people's help.

2. If somebody makes a suggestion, try it. Most of the time, you do not acknowledge the answer or try to use it. This is probably the most frustrating point.

3. If one of the solutions doesn't work for you, try to fix it instead of simply saying it doesn't work. You will learn quicker by fixing broken code.

4. Most of the time, the solutions work but you need to modify them for your specific needs. Try to modify them and if they still don't work, show what you have done.

5. Don't say that AppGameKit has too many bugs. There are many successful examples in the Gallery, plus games like Echoes+ and the Driving series of apps. There is a saying - "A bad workman blames his tools", don't do it!

The quickest way to learn to program is to code, break things and fix them yourself. The quickest way to become a developer is to find easier, better or smarter ways to work around problems.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 18:04
Waste of time, Batvink.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 08:57 Edited at: 11th Jan 2015 08:59

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Behdadsoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 09:07 Edited at: 11th Jan 2015 09:19
Quote: "Look what I just found on graphic river . net - by a guy called pzUH"

no, You're wrong. this level designed by cartoonsmart.

I purchased "sprite bundle 1" at original website:

http://cartoonsmart.com/

you can find better assets at this website.

I rebuilt a sample cartoonsmart designed level in AppGameKit with little change:

EDIT:there is 4 sprite bundle pack for Programmer.Although there is another assets at this website.

http://gameartpartners.com/downloads/super-sprite-kit-bundle-1/

http://gameartpartners.com/downloads/sprite-bundle-2/

http://gameartpartners.com/downloads/super-sprite-bundle-3/

http://gameartpartners.com/downloads/super-sprite-bundle-4/
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 13:39 Edited at: 11th Jan 2015 14:37
You've completely missed the point of my post again - no surprise there!

The reason I posted that is because you have showed someone else's work in an attempt to prove that you can make games.
I wasn't pointing out that you've used someone else's graphics, most programmers used other people's art. But what is clear from his thread, where you state that you don't know how to put a level together and from this thread, where you try to create polygonal collision, is that you haven't taken the sprites and created a level but instead you have taken a screenshot of someone's example level, loaded into AppGameKit and tried to make a game from that.

That is absolutely the wrong way to go!

It's now clear to me (as other people have already pointed out) that you are trying to run before you can walk.
People have told you to stop using AppGameKit and find something more suitable to your skill (I jokingly suggested stamp collecting) but the truth is, nobody is a skillful game programmer straight away. It takes time, effort and dedication. And that is where you seem to be lacking. You want to have everything right now. You can't!

I would suggest sticking with AppGameKit but don't try to make a game straight away. Look at the examples that come with it. Read the code and try to understand what every command is doing. Then tweak the code to make it do something different. For example; if the code simply makes a sprite move across the screen, then change the code to make it go back again or make it disappear and have another sprite move across the screen.
There's lots of tweaks you can make to even the simplest of examples and it is all a great learning experience and will be very valuable when you start to make games.

Most importantly, stop expecting people to wright your code for you and if someone offers you advice then listen to it and act on it.

Becoming a game programmer is a long, slow process but if you stick with it, it is very satisfying - good luck!
Behdadsoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 15:56
Quote: "But what is clear from his thread, where you state that you don't know how to put a level together and from this thread, where you try to create polygonal collision, is that you haven't taken the sprites and created a level but instead you have taken a screenshot of someone's example level, loaded into AppGameKit and tried to make a game from that."

Ok,very well.

You've wasted your time and searched in google that find anything for Show me a liar.

Although I do not have to prove anything to anyone, but I uploaded two video from my game for you.you can see and For slander, embarrassed.Meanwhile when comeback to home capture another video form my Purchased Sprite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1vkI45N3RY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sknrT-_lAes&feature=youtu.be

and at last thanks for Consultation.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 16:43 Edited at: 11th Jan 2015 16:45
Quote: "You've wasted your time"

If you mean by trying to help you, then that's probably the only thing you've said that actually makes any sense.

It's REALLY frowned upon to post a screenshot of something and pass it off as your own work, like Scraggle was saying. We're not saying you didn't program it (although with all the code snippets the forum has given you I'm sure we've programmed about ~95% of what you have), we're just saying that you need to give credit where it's due.

I would suggest you follow the advice people have given you again and again - start out small, and go from there. Don't try to do things you can't do without looking them up on your own and learning from examples. Don't ask us repeatedly for code snippets as we're not going to write your game for you. The only way to become a programmer is to learn on your own and try to figure things out for yourself. 90% of programming is problem solving, the other 10% is debugging.

It's back, baby!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 19:34
I think it's clear from these youtube videos that he HAS been working on a platformer in AppGameKit and although he's copied a level design he has been actually building it from the sprite resources he's mentioned.

Personally I think behdad is having trouble putting himself across and maybe he comes off as more arrogant than he actually is, I don't know but I have to admit that his example code I've worked with was not that of a complete amateur.

He needs to work on a problem a little more before posting the forum straight away but other than that it's time to give the guy a break. Please.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 22:03
Bax - The code is largely built out of contributions from here. He's had so many breaks he should be in a fracture clinic.

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Baxslash: +1
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2015 08:34 Edited at: 12th Jan 2015 08:58
I'm just saying he hasn't used an image pasted directly into the forum or his app. He has taken the time to create the level and make it work. I didn't start out writing all my own code, I copied countless lines from a ZX81 book to make a crappy battleship game. Copied 100% (aside from the odd syntax error)...

The point is there's proof he's actually writing something himself. The code I looked at was clearly not written by someone else but using some of the stuff he's been shown.

Maybe we should petition a "Newcomers AppGameKit corner" forum. I used to go there to help newcomers a lot and knew what to expect from them. If a new user came into the main forum with a "daft" question we could move the post into the correct forum and tell them about that forum. It keeps the main forum un-cluttered and gives new users a place to build their knowledge and confidence while they are learning the basics without 'annoying' the rest of the forum. I learned a lot in the DBPro one without feeling I was making a fool of myself.

I will start a petition thread but it seems to me that people should look at the evidence here and either ignore these posts or try to help (in the spirit of the forum).

EDIT: PETITION THREAD

Behdadsoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2015 15:08
I'm happy that you are Realistic man baxslash.

+20
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2015 17:04
The problem is that he is in way above his head. He does not seem to grasp the simplest of concept, no matter how, and how many times they are explained to him. That's what making people frustrated.

A philosopher once said something like: "Give a monkey a typewriter, and unlimited time, and he will type out a masterpiece, eventually."

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 02:53:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 02:53:37