Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Do AGK2 physics collisions always get reported as contacts?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm creating simple spaceship game, just fly around and shoot the other guy's ship with missiles. I turned bullet physics on for the missiles, and everything seems to work fine..."nearly" all the time. Every once-in-a-while a missile will bounce off the ship (without a player death), or two missiles will bounce off each other. It doesn't seem to matter how fast they are going.

I check for collisions by examining the contact list. In these cases, it doesn't appear that the collisions are being reported to the contact list. I have debug code that reports the full contents of the list.

Is there a good place to go that really explains how the contact list works?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 23:00
I don't know the answer to your question, sorry!, but could you not make the missiles sensors (SetSpritePhysicsIsSensor(Spr, 1)? Assuming you are detecting collisions correctly, this should stop any bouncing off...
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Be sure to check both A and B of the contact list. Honestly though I believe it may be an AppGameKit bug.

dirahl
Years of Service
User Offline
I figured it out. I'm not sure if you'd call it a bug or not. I was using SetSpriteAngle, which apparently doesn't check for physics collisions (not a surprise, since it doesn't have the word "Physics" in it). Therefore, bullets would bounce off the ship any time the player was rotating it during contact. It's not an obvious behavior; clearly the check was done at some level, or the bullet wouldn't have bounced. But the check didn't make it to the contact list, so maybe you'd call that a bug.

Thanks for your responses, though. I've been messing with it for less than a week, so I'm bound to do some dumb things.
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2015 00:12
I had something similar to this happen... I never did figure out what was causing it, but now that you've posted that, it sounds likely. I would call it a bug for sure.
rfwarrior
Years of Service
User Offline
Aaarrrggghhh.

I've just spent ages trying to debug something similar.

if setSpriteAngle is set on a sprite with physics enabled that object will not report collisions.

So - the question is, can anyone suggest any work arounds?

could I have an invisible sprite that I rotate and allocate the resulting image to the sprite with physics?

I'll see if I can come up with something and will post back if I get it working.
rfwarrior
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay I've investigated further.

From what I can tell if you use setSpriteangle then collision detection won't work on that sprite for that cycle.

In my code I was setting sprite angle even if it hadn't changed and so no collisions were detected.

so I changed my code to only use setSpriteAngle. that fixed the collision detection, unless I was holding my left or right rotate buttons.

So I changed my code further to only check the rotate buttons every other cycle - I had to change my rotation angle from 2 to 4 to keep the rotation speed the same.

Collision detection is now working flawlessly.

By cycle I mean each iteration round the do /sync loop.

Hope this helps someone.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 21:28:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 21:28:32