Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Windows EXE

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2015 12:06
I've only used AppGameKit for Android so far (apart from testing in Windows), but recently had to create a small Windows application for a project.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but is it possible to get a standalone Windows exe using AppGameKit? The exe generated in the project folder is just the AppGameKit player which needs the media folder and separate byte code. It would be a very simple process to append the byte code to the end of the executable and have the player read it from there. Is there an option for this in settings somewhere?

I ended up using DB-Pro to get the job done, but I'd prefer to stick with AppGameKit for now if I can.

Thanks.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2015 12:54
There's also the media folder to consider.

It shouldn't be too hard to add an AppGameKit plugin for Inno Setup, which is free.

Onwards and sometimes upwards
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2015 13:18
as i know a standalone app can be created via thirdparty installer only but this is more or less a runable zip,unzip,make a link and run.

AGK 108 (B)19 + AppGameKit V2 Alpha .. : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Fluorescent
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2015 16:15
You might be able to use Smart Packer Pro. I haven't tried it myself but the description seems to describe your needs.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2256
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2015 05:03
If you work in Tier 2, MS Visual Studio for building, the final .exe is not an interpreter. However, even in Tier 2, your media and such are still usually in a media directory (the default place for loads and opens).

At this point, there still isn't an packager that then doesn't unpack a directory with your media files exposed.

It might be different with the Steam version. I haven't looked into how AGK2 and Steam work together. I think apps published with Steam, because of the way the users play it in the Steam engine, will have the media and such hidden. But I don't know that for certain.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2015 08:29 Edited at: 15th Jan 2015 08:32
Might want to check the link posted above...

Smart Packer Pro

Smart Packer Pro packs a single executable file, DLL's and other files into a single executable. An executable file made this way doesn't create temporary files on the disk, it doesn't modify the registry to ensure that all the embedded files run as if they were real. The embedded files are extracted directly to the memory.

With Autosave feature enabled all file changes in the virtual filesystem are stored in an encrypted archive.

Features

Packs the executable or dll and all its supplementary files into a single file
Creates encrypted archives using strong encryption algorithms
Compression methods provides good compression rate and high speed
Saves automatically projects
Splashscreen image for loading screen
Icon support
Autosave Mode
Supports commandline arguments
Plugin system
Configurable storage location
Password protection
Download automatically for updating packed files
Icon and version info support
Unicode support

Apps published: 4
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2015 09:39 Edited at: 15th Jan 2015 10:09
One good reason for using an installer is that users will not get asked if the want to run the program every time they use it.

I've just tried Smart Packer Pro on one of my company products and it crashes consistently when trying to play any media file in side or outside the package virtual system. Which is a shame, because it would be great if it worked!

Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2015 07:26
Shame because the feature list looks great.

Apps published: 4
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Does Smart Packer Pro perhaps just need updating to work with V2 of AppGameKit? I was looking to use this...
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2015 17:03
I'n not saying it doesn't work with AGK. I chucked some heavyweight software at it to see how strong it was.

As I downloaded it yesterday, I assumed it was the latest!

Sh4d0xx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2015 16:47
Anyone have any ideas on this issue ?

At the time of purchase, I was under the impression that I could 'deploy effortlessly' to multiple platforms (E.g. How Android APK's are generated by the IDE).

This is obviously not the case with AppGameKit v2 as you cannot effortlessly deploy to multiple platforms.

Any Ideas ?

isgltd (2014)
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2015 17:08
I'm not sure where the "Deploy effortlessly" phrase is cited, but if it is around somewhere it's a little misleading. The strapline of AGK2 is "Code once and deploy". That is, you write the code once and then choose which platforms you want to deploy to without having to change any code.

If you press F5, you get a Windows Executable. I assume it does the same for Mac desktops apps on OS X

If you deploy to APK, you have the files for Android and Amazon

You can deploy the IPA files for iOS, but Apple insist on using a Mac for the packaging of apps

Blackberry, I don't recall but I think I used Eclipse and the Blackberry SDK.

Android, iOS and others all require additional setup within their services that you can't avoid, such as generating keys etc.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2015 17:33
Setting up projects can be a serious PITA. Not that it's incredibly complicated, but because it uses a lot of software that most people aren't familiar with. Whether it's Visual Studio, XCode, Eclipse, Steamworks etc. even seemingly simple tasks can be difficult if you've never used them before.

The good news is once you have your projects set-up you really can use the same source code. There isn't one line different in my Echoes+ source code between the PC, Mac and Ouya versions.

Quote: "It might be different with the Steam version. I haven't looked into how AGK2 and Steam work together. I think apps published with Steam, because of the way the users play it in the Steam engine, will have the media and such hidden. But I don't know that for certain."
Steam is essentially just a front end. All the games are just stored like they would be normally so all files, media etc would be accessible like in any other AppGameKit app

paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2015 18:46
I think the deployment is as near to effortless as you can get. Unfortunately for iOS/Android there's stuff you just have to do - uploading, icons, snapshots etc. And of course Apple's mass of keys and provisioning and so on.
Polaraul
Years of Service
User Offline
I would say that to deploy a Windows executable from AppGameKit is just as much work as the other platforms it targets. A third party utility is required to change the default AppGameKit icon of the player, and since all assets just sit in the media folder, I am required to code routines to encrypt such assets. Lastly, you will still need another third party product to create an installer.
mrniceguy
Years of Service
User Offline
@JimHawkins

Just saw your remark about Smart Packer Pro.

Are the files already compressed or encrypted before they are included in the packed exe?

What kind of error message do you get?

Smart Packer Pro - Distribute games and applications
V-Packer for Games - Compress your game files into one executable
Flash Packer - Pack your Flash movies
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2015 15:47
It's a big system. It starts to run, but crashes totally with any media playback.

We use proper installers. I don't think our clients would like us to use a cute but flawed delivery system.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 01:26:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 01:26:45