Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Insignificant User back from Game Development "dead"... Sorta... Where do Things Stand now?

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Elite: Dangerous
Posted: 7th Feb 2015 06:34
Hi all,

TL;DR - scroll to the last paragraph.

According to the "My Threads" shortcut I last posted about a year-and-a-half ago. I stopped playing in FPSC (and I saw "playing" because I wasn't getting much development done) when I actually started gaming (eg, playing Planetside 2, growing my Steam account, etc.). Now that I've played a number of classics and more modern titles like Half-Life, Portal, Black Ops II, Halo 2, etc. I can better understand why people said the development software was very limited and why a AAA title would never come from the engine - I knew that soon after buying it, but I never understood why until after playing those games.

I did have this one little pet-project going on that I spent 3-4 months working on... probably longer. I got the first level finished in relatively short order and sunk a the majority of my time into the second. I had it intricately laid out, with lots of attention to detail and thought going into how things looked while balancing framerate. Long story short, either after an update or letting the project sit a few weeks, I tested the level out and things weren't working - weapons and dynamic objects were not sitting on the ground or the table or shelf or whatever, but were actually floating about 6 inches above whatever surface they were supposed to be resting on. A custom HUD I made stopped working and I couldn't figure out what was wrong, and I couldn't make the AI work... days and days of scripting and testing and debugging and testing and debugging to no avail. So I hung up my hat and quit.

Lately I've had aspirations to make an RTS game. But every once in a while I remember the words of Thraxas who said a couple years ago to people who were "moving on" from FPSC that if they couldn't make a game in this engine, how could they hope to make a game in one far more advanced? So I've started toying with the idea of "coming back" - I never was a community star, never contributed anything though I would hang around the forums a lot and comment/"help" here and there, etc. I learned a lot about modeling with a ton of help from Anayar and planned on making a guide with my knowledge, but it never happened like every other ambition I've had in life lol.

But, finally get to the point of this post, where are things now with Classic/Reloaded? I backed Reloaded but never really got into it because I didn't have enough patience or ideas for beta-testing outdoors. I think I need a new PC to run it too as I can barely get 20 FPS with flat land... Also, are the reloaded forums exclusively on the reloaded website now?

Regards,
Captain Coder

As a believer in Jesus Christ, I am trying to use my passion for game creation for His glory.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2015 15:55
Nice to see you again.

Yes, the reloaded forums are on the reloaded site.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2015 16:09
Hi Captain Coder, nice to see you here again.
Quote: "are the reloaded forums exclusively on the reloaded website now"
Yes.
Quote: "where are things now with Classic"

Well the last "official" update would be V1.19
The last "unofficial" update is V1.20. It has a lot of extra's
added and a couple syntax changes, but works fairly well.
S4real carried it to the end for quite a while fixing bugs before moving on. (FPSC Beta Updates-Unofficial at top of forum)
Then Nomad Soul came out with his mod "Nomad Mod" with
a big jump in shaders for dynamic objects.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=211964&b=21
Quote: "I can barely get 20 FPS "

Yeah, might be time for a new computer
But try one of the updates first if you can. You might be surprised
how much fast fpsc runs now.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208795&b=21
I found V1.20.1.19_beta_1.14 the most stable for me.
best luck

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2015 03:53
Just a question. Nothing relevent to Captain Coder's post. What are the difference between the various versions of FPSC, after 1.5? And in the third beta of 1.20, is there any bug which does not let the characters with DarkAI move up and down stairs? I have them working for the doors but not the stairs.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2015 21:46
From my experience the inofficial 1.20 represents the most stable engine with the most working features FPSC had for years.

I'm quite satisfied with it although the memory cap still bites.

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Captain Coder
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Elite: Dangerous
Posted: 9th Feb 2015 17:47
Good to see you all again Storyteller, I haven't seen you around in a while, glad to see you're still kicking

Quote: "From my experience the inofficial 1.20 represents the most stable engine with the most working features FPSC had for years.

I'm quite satisfied with it although the memory cap still bites."

I never had an issue with the memory cap so I think I will be able to enjoy this

Thanks all Unfortunately, when I was first went to the reloaded website I discovered that I had to register and it asked for my name. I didn't realize that it would be used as my forum name, and I don't want to flash my full name around on the internet. Is there a way to re-register/change it?

Thanks again,
Captain Coder

Former avid rookie game developer who now just studies in college, and dreams about his dream game, and derps really hard.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
The original forum in the early days of Reloaded was discontinued. Now it uses your existing username from here, so if you are signed-in now you can click http://fpscrforum.thegamecreators.com/ and should be able to post to that forum.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2015 08:06
Welcome back!

See this thread for the latest: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=213639&b=21

-Keith
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2015 20:12
Quote: "Also, are the reloaded forums exclusively on the reloaded website now?"

Reloaded is named "Game Guru" now...other than that, whe are still pretty much around! Welcome back!

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 06:53:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 06:53:54