Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / A Unity type project for AGK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 11:07
One of the things that I think would be cool is a united project maybe something open source that allows people to work together their own type of "Unity 2D/3D" system that is either made from AppGameKit or exports to AGK.

Kind of like a product that supports AGK. It doesn't have to be made from AppGameKit, that was a suggestion, but it could be made to export and support AppGameKit in some ways.

A visual design system that would work with 2D and 3D as well.

Has anyone thought about something like this?

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 11:10
Something like an "Export to AGK" option in GameGuru That would be SWEET!

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 20:09
You'd have to go one way only, to AGK2, but it's certainly doable. Corona has a similar sort of thing http://docs.coronalabs.com/composer/tutorial.html
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 20:15
I have often considered a project like this but what always stands in my way is the lack of a decent GUI system (or my own lack of interest in learning C++). If someone was able to write a dll using AppGameKit tier 2 that I could use in a .Net windows forms project I could write something really good. If I could use a .Net dll using the current render to image command I could draw to an image that I could use in a panel in a winforms app. Then I could make a whole bunch of useful tools for AppGameKit without having to create a crappy looking GUI every time.

I am also writing a new skeleton animation tool for the community in Tier 1 which would benefit from windows forms.

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 21:03
Quote: "If I could use a .Net dll using the current render to image command I could draw to an image that I could use in a panel in a winforms app. Then I could make a whole bunch of useful tools for AppGameKit without having to create a crappy looking GUI every time."

I'm working on it. Unfortunately it's gone down the priority list because I did well in the Intel contest (what an excuse!)

The basics are that you have an AppGameKit window sat inside your WinForms app, just like any other panel. I have AppGameKit talking to C#.Net, I'm just struggling with getting the AppGameKit Window inside the form. It's something I managed in DBPro but AppGameKit is not playing ball.

If you want to discuss further drop me an email. I'm sure your C# skills could help me finish this off, and then it could be released to the community as a standard framework for making tools. There is someone else already interested in making tools with this.

You can get the idea of what is possible from this DBPro-based version I created for making racing tracks.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " I'm just struggling with getting the AppGameKit Window inside the form"

I have been able to do it. You should be able to use User32.dll SetParent() function and just provide it with window handle of the parent window and the child window. See here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms633541%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Quote: " I have AppGameKit talking to C#.Net"

When I was working on my AppGameKit GameMaker-esque editor I just used the AppGameKit .NET framework (here: https://agkwrapper.codeplex.com/). Which allowed me to make a windows form project and an AppGameKit project in a single .exe (on separate threads). It only uses V1065, but for editing purposes that's fine. You should be able to easily update it to AppGameKit V2 if you wanted to.

However, I assume from one of your previous posts (in a different thread) you did it through networking commands, which works too.

Sean

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 21:40 Edited at: 13th Feb 2015 21:51
Quote: " You should be able to use User32.dll SetParent() function and just provide it with window handle of the parent window and the child window."

So I imagine the process is to set a unique Window title, search for it and get the handle. Then I can dock it in my picturebox control in the form?
In DBPro you could automate this using an ini file, but this is what AppGameKit won't respond to. I'll give this a try, thanks!

Quote: "I just used the AppGameKit .NET framework"

That would be nice, but in my case I'm looking at using tween commands and other V2 stuff. I don't have the necessary expertise to update the wrapper. But it looks like a fantastic solution for making tools!

Quote: "I assume from one of your previous posts (in a different thread) you did it through networking commands"

Yes indeed. I'll be crediting Grayvyn for his code and help.

[EDIT]
by the way, nice particle editor
Much nicer than mine that I created using Blue, back in 2006(!)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2015 22:53
I tried updating the AGK.Net project but it was beyond me. I may have to re-read this when I'm sober enough and have time to attempt it. A simple example project for Visual Studio would be awesome to share with the community!

If it was possible to use the current AppGameKit library directly in a .Net project using windows forms I would be churning the tools out...

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
CodeTrasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2015 18:17
Quote: "I tried updating the AGK.Net project but it was beyond me."

I too am trying to update the wrapper. I'm nearly there, so far I've managed to compile all the v108.24 (I don't own v2, yet) commands but I have problems with linking. I guess it has something to do with my PC being 64-bit. I think I know how to get around this, I'll let you all know if I manage to build the wrapper.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 14:16
I often think about how you could develop AppGameKit further, to become something more like Unity. After considering it for a while I always come to the conclusion that it may not be a good idea.

Firstly, we already have Unity and it's free. What stands AppGameKit apart is it's basic language and the fact that it is more of a blank canvas than Unity. Any attempt to become more like Unity may inadvertently lead to getting rid of the best parts of AGK.

That's not to mention it would be a huge project and really difficult

That said, tools are always a great idea so having windows forms as an interface to these tools would be a massive plus for AGK. Definitely worth pursuing in my opinion

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 15:02 Edited at: 16th Feb 2015 15:05
Quote: "Something like an "Export to AGK" option in GameGuru That would be SWEET!"

As the man said "everybody's got to have a dream".
Dream on brother, because I'll share this one with you.
I have a feeling though, that we better not hold our breath.
It didn't take long for AppGameKit to reach its current awesomeness though, so maybe a snorkel will work GameGuru.

Quote: "That would be nice, but in my case I'm looking at using tween commands and other V2 stuff. "

No offense BatVink, but your middle name should be Tween.
I can't wait to see what you come up with using tween commands, because you seem to work with them more than anybody around.
You must be cooking up something special.

I like the idea of GameGuru exporting AppGameKit code, even if map editor results and not anything dynamic. (for starters)
The last thing I want is to have to learn how to use Unity on top of everything else, but that's just me.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 15:42 Edited at: 16th Feb 2015 15:43
Quote: "No offense BatVink, but your middle name should be Tween"

One of my drop-in modules for all of my projects is 1,682 lines of tweening code, for sprites, 3D objects, positions, scale, rotation, alpha, colour, texture, progresssion templates...in linear, ease-in/out, bounce, overshoot, and ping-pong modes. With textures and other tweens I can make traffic lights, scrolling dials, typewriter text and all sorts of goodies. It started in DBPro and now it's ported to AGK.

So tweening commands play a big part in lots of things I do. The new tween commands have made my code so much neater, and my confidence a lot greater.
Once I've got a couple of mini projects out of the way, I'm going to do some extreme-tweening

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 02:08 Edited at: 17th Feb 2015 02:26
WOW! You have been busy.
I searched Google for 'tween' and a bunch of pictures of 10 to 12 year old kids popped up.
At least now I know how the general public defines tween, but I am still unclear on what they are in AppGameKit or how to use them.
I'll look in the documentation again for an example.

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 03:48
I think that a basic GUI would be good enough. Just a 3d and 2d editor that exports the level. I made a tool like this for tiled but no one really used it.That being said making a tool is like unity will just receive fruitless unless you build your programming language that compeats with agk. I don't even think making your own programming language would be that much competition against tools that are already popular.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 04:12 Edited at: 17th Feb 2015 04:16
Quote: "At least now I know how the general public defines tween, but I am still unclear on what they are in AppGameKit or how to use them. "

Have a look at the code for the colour splash game, that picture breaking up of the frog was done with tweens and the screen bouncing into view was another one.

The code I have done is as easy as it comes ☺

Example

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 05:10 Edited at: 17th Feb 2015 05:15
Quote: "Something like an "Export to AGK" option in GameGuru That would be SWEET!"

Have you seen FPSC 2 AGK ???
That is pretty much what I was talking about.
I had seen this before, so my suggestion for at least just static stuff must have been partial recall or something.
Anyway, there is a link to a tool that can get us started on Guru2AGK.

Quote: "Have a look at the code for the colour splash game, that picture breaking up of the frog was done with tweens and the screen bouncing into view was another one."

Thanks!
lol
Freddy's dissection turned out to be the ultimate sacrifice for the better of all tweenkind. (he was a hero I tell you)

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 10:17 Edited at: 17th Feb 2015 10:21
Tweening is an animation term, which has been adapted by programmers. It's basic meaning is taking 2 images, and then filling in the timeframe inbetween to make the progression animated.

Here's another tween example for you, that you can copy, paste and run. It's very similar to Spectrepaul's, but with the addition of chains. Although they are fairly primitive, they may be enough for simple GUIs, to add a little animation.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 10:24 Edited at: 17th Feb 2015 13:22
FPSC2AGK looks like it could be very useful. £14.99 though
Maybe at payday.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 11:08
Quote: "Freddy's dissection turned out to be the ultimate sacrifice for the better of all tweenkind. (he was a hero I tell you) "

One brave frog lol

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles
Greenwich
Years of Service
User Offline
Hopefully GameGuru-2-AGK2 becomes a thing. I'd buy it.

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure Unity is not free for us -- or at least, it's not free for those of us who distribute to mobile devices.

Here's the EULA for it. If it is indeed possible and legal to use any and all resources produced via Unity Free in apps distributed commercially to iOS/Android/Windows Phone devices, can someone hop in and correct me?

It's mean time. *averages*
Greenwich
Years of Service
User Offline
Also, BatVink...

Quote: "One of my drop-in modules for all of my projects is 1,682 lines of tweening code, for sprites, 3D objects, positions, scale, rotation, alpha, colour, texture, progresssion templates...in linear, ease-in/out, bounce, overshoot, and ping-pong modes. With textures and other tweens I can make traffic lights, scrolling dials, typewriter text and all sorts of goodies. It started in DBPro and now it's ported to AGK."

...would you have any interest in licensing those tweens and textures for us to use? That's a lot of work I wouldn't have to do. I can't remember if there's a TGC store/marketplace specifically for AGK2 add-ons; if there is, this seems like it would be the perfect thing to put there.

It's mean time. *averages*
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2015 20:52
@Greenwich, drop me an email so we can swap contact details... steve at devink dot co dot uk.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 18:29:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 18:29:02