Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Click to dial

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 15:00
I haven't done much to test this, but you can use the OpenBrowser command to access the phone's dialer!

Example:

(Replace 0000-000000 with the phone number you want to dial).

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 15:44 Edited at: 16th Feb 2015 15:45
Thanks for sharing.
I would play with this, but my test phone doesn't have a number so I can't dial out except for emergencies.
That hyphen could probably be omitted, and that would be the first thing I would test.
I was wondering about dialing out, but would never have thought of using the browser to do it.

Have you tested it at all?

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 15:44 Edited at: 16th Feb 2015 15:46
nice! I wonder if there are other url-based commands such as texting.

[edit] apparently sms: is the texting equivalent. You can only add the number, not the message.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 15:46
Quote: " I wonder if there are other url-based commands such as texting"

That would make sense, so I would guess yes.
If so, this could be very very handy.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 15:57 Edited at: 16th Feb 2015 15:58
You will need to add permissions to the manifest to allow the app to dial.

THIS is what would really open the doors, if it was implemented - Common Intents

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 16:05
You can pre-fill the SMS text too:

Like the TEL: version, the user will still need to click the 'send' button. This just pre-fills some data. Could be handy though.

I agree with you Mr V. That would be most useful!

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 16:15 Edited at: 16th Feb 2015 16:17
Quote: "THIS is what would really open the doors, if it was implemented - Common Intents
"

Awesome read, and yes.
I like the 'Contacts/People App' part for getting users to send a text message for a 'try this game I found' referral system.
I was thinking of Facebook integration for this using the friends list, but their phone contacts would be good too.
The facebook friends are more likely to be game players than the phone contacts says the grandmas, but the phone contacts are personal relationships and may give a better response rate.

Quote: "Like the TEL: version, the user will still need to click the 'send' button. This just pre-fills some data. Could be handy though"

Sweet!
Where/How did you find out about these? (if you don't mind me asking)

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 16:18 Edited at: 16th Feb 2015 16:31
Eek! I don't like the idea of a game sending SMS messages to phone-book contacts. SMS messages often cost money. I wouldn't be pleased if a game started eating up my sms allowance to spam my contacts. :o That's what Facebook is for isn't it?

Edit:
Quote: "
Where/How did you find out about these? (if you don't mind me asking)"

Writing a little app for work and wanted the user to be able to click a "Call us Now" button for support. A quick google search told me the default browser can launch the dialer with a TEL: link, so I just gave it a try

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 16:30 Edited at: 16th Feb 2015 16:35
Quote: "Eek! I don't like the idea of a game sending SMS messages to phone-book contacts. SMS messages often cost money. I wouldn't be pleased if a game started eating up me sms allowance to spam my contacts. :o That's what Facebook is for isn't it?"

Yeah, but a lot of people have unlimited text/talk plans, so I don't see that as a deal breaker.
Again, they would have the option, as they know best which contacts would work, and this would save them a lot of typing should they want to send a text.

Quote: "Writing a little app for work and wanted the user to be able to click a "Call us Now" button for support. A quick google search told me "

lol I guess I was googling the wrong thing.
Nice 'call us now' feature for support.
Thanks for this!

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 16:32
Quote: "Thanks for this!"

My pleasure.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 21:02
You can use this to get people who finish the hardest levels, to sms your phone, haha, would be cool, so they can get a personal congratulation back

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2015 21:40 Edited at: 16th Feb 2015 22:02
Quote: "You can use this to get people who finish the hardest levels, to sms your phone, haha, would be cool, so they can get a personal congratulation back"

I'd rather stick to the "don't call us, we'll call you" method, unless I had a phone that was just for these type calls.
That way, it wouldn't interfere with my phone's functions or give out my number.
I like the idea of a "personal phone interview with the developer" reward though.

As long as they don't call me when I'm sleeping or something.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Intents on Android are incredibly useful and would benefit AppGameKit greatly to support them in Tier 1. In other libraries, I use Intents for things like exporting media to whatever apps the user may have installed on their device, achievable in just a line or two of code.

If AppGameKit were to natively support Intents for Android and the ShareKit library for iOS (which enables simple sharing of text and media to every major service) all of the social aspects would be accounted for and easy to maintain on TGC's side.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 00:47
I've added Common Intents support to the AGK2 Feature Requests thread.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 13:37
Just by chance, I've been reading that there is a scam that triggers premium rate texts from mobile apps, using similar features. People are being charged up to £30 GBP for actions they didn't know they had taken. Maybe it's bad for your own reputation to consider phone/text functionality.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 14:47
Thanks BatVink. I completely agree. I would definitely not recommend adding "Phone" functionality to a game.

My in-house app is used by employees only, and requires the feature to allow the user to contact our support team. I found a reasonable way to achieve this and thought I'd share with the community.

This method can't automatically send a text, or make a call. It can only pre-populate the phone number and message text. The user still needs to press the 'send' button, so hopefully it cannot be used for malicious purposes. If I'm wrong, then please feel free to remove this thread!

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 17:42
It's useful information, it's given me ideas for work also.
It just might be too easy to be seen as a malicious activity in a game. Let somebody else test the theory, and decide after seeing the reaction!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 00:10:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 00:10:26