Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Are web app possible with this software?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 06:00
I would like to make a free web based app, for a gaming community I'm involved in, and I was wondering If it would be possible to achieve my goals with the AGK. I've had AppGameKit for a long time now but havent really had the time to use it much, and I am ready to just delve into it.

Basically I would like to make an app that normal users of the website can log into, and can use the app to perform simple tasks. Some tasks that it would need to perform would be allowing users to check their messages on the website, show notifications for recent activity.

The messages area would just need to show the user their messages, and allow them to respond.

The notifications would tell them if one of the games on their want list become available, or if they receive a new message etc.

So I would also need to be able to connect with, and query a remote MySQL database. Can the AppGameKit achieve what I am talking about?

XFIRE: gamerchunk
STEAM: gamerchunk
Teamspeak 3 server: ts30.bargainvoice.com:7260
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
In short, yes. You will want to check out the HTTP commands available in AGK. These will allow you to query server-side scripts that, in turn, can perform whatever operations on MySQL databases you need and return the necessary data to the AppGameKit application. It is then up to you to process and format it within the app.

BUBBACHUNK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 06:21
That is great news, I am really excited to start building this. Do you know if I would be able to connect to an IRC server through an online HTML or java client?

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 10:23
Quote: "Basically I would like to make an app that normal users of the website can log into, and can use the app to perform simple tasks.
"

You can't use AppGameKit to create a web-based app. You could host the AppGameKit application on your website so users could download it, but they can't simply use the app within their browser HTML5 or Flash style if that is what you mean.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
BUBBACHUNK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 17:20
Well I dont want the app to be a like a browser app. I'd want everything to be securly contained in a program app that can query the database for the website, And then Show the person on the App the information, Such as "SELECT * FROM messages WHERE user_name = 'user' AND Date_Read = null" if that query returns that there are say there are 2 messages for that user that havent been read, then I could display in the notification area of the app that they have 2 unread messages on the site.

From what xCept said if I set aside a dedicated directory in the website file structure called agk_app for example I can make php files in this directory with these queries, and then use the app to run these queries on the webserver, and then return the results to the app where I can format the information to output to users.

Is this correct?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 18:46
I think the terminology is confusing people.

A web app is an application you run in a web browser, such as a SaaS (Software as a Service) app. Gmail is an example. This IS NOT possible in AGK.

You want a mobile App that can query online data. This IS possible in AppGameKit using the information xCept gave earlier.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 19:21
It would work on a Windows server, but really it's not by any means the best tool for doing it.

Onwards and sometimes upwards

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 16:48:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 16:48:55