Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 9th Jun 2015 23:51
Quote: "Yes, but what is the point "

It was a simple question - and deserved a simple answer.

When you run the demo you get a massive memory leak (as in your demo) when you log out and in again - but you also still have your media showing. When you change display mode you still get the massive leak. You don't get a crash with either method. So the next step for WickedX is to show how to get rid of the leak without your rigmarole. My guess is that the answer to WickedX's question is "Yes" - in which case I guess he'll move on to the next step.

But I am purely making educated guesses at WickedX's line of thinking.

Powered by Free Banners
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 00:02
Green Gandalf

A quick last comment.

A "lost device" event happens when you are playing the game and:
- locking Windows
- putting Windows into sleep mode
- starting the screen saver
It should cause game crash.

I have never meet people that do one of those crazy things when playing fullscreen games!

Note: minimizing the game to read online walkthrough is safe.

Also will you write a background function to check:
- if the player during play will delete game resources?!
- if the player tries to hack the game memory to gain gold or health and suddenly writes 10000 to wrong memory allocation?!
- if player press alt+f4 and the game does not wiped some temp data?!
Why not, I did those things.

Philosophy: the game does not need functions to handle improper use of the game, it is the user's responsibility.

WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 00:25 Edited at: 10th Jun 2015 01:56
@Cescano:
I really didn't think it would work for appended animations. The suggestion I would have is to apply the animations in a modeling program.

@Stab in the Dark software:
I now think I get what you're saying.

This snippet will change the display mode in the loop and recover from lost device at the same time. Normally we wouldn't be changing the display mode constantly in the loop like this. I let the program run for an hour and no crash. So, I don't think there's a leak.

You will need the surprisingly simple device lost functions from my Plug-In to compile this. Plug-In source code also available in thread.
]http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=213811&b=18

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 00:26
Quote: "I have never meet people that do one of those crazy things when playing fullscreen games!"

Then you have limited experience of life's exigencies.

Scenario:

Parent playing game while child playing with their toys. Parent suddenly hears a choking sound from child. Does parent carefully close down game and PC or does parent go immediately to the child's aid returning to the game some considerable time later perhaps?

Why add to the parent's misery by having inadequate media recovery?

With a bit of thought I'm sure you're capable of thinking other, less drastic but equally realistic, scenarios.

Quote: "Philosophy: the game does not need functions to handle improper use of the game, it is the user's responsibility."

Now you are being silly.

Powered by Free Banners
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 00:47 Edited at: 10th Jun 2015 00:48
There does seem to be about a 5-10mb leak every time the device resets. Took about 20 resets to go from 20mb to 100mb. What to do about this. I feel I'm back to square one. May have to give up DBPro and Dark GDK altogether.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 01:19
WickedX

I couldn't get your code to compile. The editor finds the correct syntax from the .ini file but the compiler throws an error: Could not determine parameter type. This happens for the two functions device lost() and device reset(). It's as if those two functions are not in the DLL.

Powered by Free Banners
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 01:48 Edited at: 10th Jun 2015 02:02
That is odd. I just compiled with the dll from the download. Stupid question, are you sure you copied the dll to the correct folder?
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 02:48 Edited at: 10th Jun 2015 02:49
Quote: "Stupid question, are you sure you copied the dll to the correct folder?"

Not stupid at all - it was the first thing I checked. Screenshot:

Powered by Free Banners

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 03:05
Found the problem. Your DLL conflicts with IanM's Matrix1 plug-ins. When I moved his DLLs out of the way then your code compiled and ran fine.

I don't see a memory leak with that demo - nothing noticeable anyway.

Powered by Free Banners
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 03:15
Cool! Yeah, noticed you had the Matrix1util Plug-In installed, was going to suggest that.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 03:23
Quote: "I don't see a memory leak with that demo - nothing noticeable anyway."

Sorry. I do see a memory leak when I do your log out/in thing. I don't see a leak in standard running without interruption.

[Getting tired. It's late here and time I was in bed. In fact dawn isn't that far away now. ]

Powered by Free Banners
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 03:30
Good night. I am little tired myself. Glad to hear you're not experiencing a leak. Maybe the DBPro version I'm using (7.4).
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 11:55
Quote: "Glad to hear you're not experiencing a leak."

Under which circumstances do you see the leak? When you simply leave the program running or when you log out/log in? I see it under the latter.

Powered by Free Banners
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2015 23:08
Sorry, misread your post. The leak happens with logoff/logon. If you remark this line, no more leak.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2015 01:01
Which seems to be what Stab in the Dark software was essentially saying at the outset.

Incidentally, your demo crashes from time to time when I use log out/in. Usually after two or three such attempts and never just after the first - and it's the usual DBPro stopped working message.