Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Version 2.0.15 Alpha

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
meaning is: as per my original question, how many T2 users are still active? All the people I used to follow on the forums are gone
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 19th Oct 2015 19:37 Edited at: 19th Oct 2015 19:42
@Chmva:

bjadams is referring to great users such as xGEKKOx, AncientLady and a few others who would come and actually fix some of the broken templates themselves since TGC is a limited team and can't be on top of all of the updates at the same time.

I'm not sure who all is using AppGameKit Tier 2 either... I tried a few months back but could never get it working properly on Windows, but on my iMac I got it working just fine until Apple updated Xcode and broke a few more things.

EDIT: Oops didn't see the second page

Forum President until June 20th, 2016.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2015 20:38 Edited at: 19th Oct 2015 20:39
yes exactly like Yodaman explained.

Yodaman did you manage to make AppGameKit work on iOS9 as it seems impossible to make some things work

on VS 2013 AppGameKit worked fine for me, but it does not work on VS2015
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 20th Oct 2015 00:44
I haven't even tried, honestly. I'm not much into iOS development at the moment and with the issues Gekko brought up I just haven't even bothered trying.

But, I also kind of want to learn ObjC+Swift for native iOS coding, but that's mostly just to add those languages under my belt too.

Forum President until June 20th, 2016.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2015 01:47 Edited at: 20th Oct 2015 01:50
Quote: "which does become slower when converting std::string to char* or uString with custom function!"

You shouldn't need to create a custom function, to convert from a std::string to a char*. The std::string class contains a method called "c_str()" which returns a char * to the internal char array that the object is utilizing. So using an std::string with "c_str()" should be more or less just as fast as using a char array (because internally the string class uses a char array).

Quote: "How many are actually using the T2 AppGameKit these days?"

Occasionally I do, however I am often drawn to other C++ SDKs such as Cocos2dx. The reason is while AGK's library is good it isn't very OOP because rather than using classes, everything is a function call (probably for easy Tier 1 compatibility). The solution for an AppGameKit Tier 2 user would be to wrap the function calls in custom classes which really is simple to do (and in most cases the class methods can be written in about 1 line). However on top of not being "OOP friendly" out of the box, there also is no "app management system." For instance, Cocos2dx uses a hierarchy that's along the lines of the following: An app manager which points to scenes (each scene is its own class) and scenes which have nodes(text, sprites, 3d objects, particles, etc are derived from the nodes). The benefit to this system is that memory allocated by a scene is released when the app manager is deleted which also means any memory located by a node is released when its scene is deleted. Essentially this means that the user does not have to worry about any memory allocated by Cocos2dx because the app management system handles it.

While a system like this could be made for AppGameKit Tier 2, it takes a lot less effort to just use an SDK that already offers it. It would be nice if there were an open source AppGameKit Community Project to create such a system for AGK.

EDIT: Didn't realize there was a second page:
Quote: "on VS 2013 AppGameKit worked fine for me, but it does not work on VS2015"

This is another issue (although not as big) I prefer VS2015 over VS2013 and VS2015 also has some great new debugging tools. I don't understand why a VS2015 library hasn't been compiled yet seeing as VS2015 has been around for awhile now.

Sean
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2015 09:47 Edited at: 20th Oct 2015 09:47
@Hockeykid I checked out Cocos2dx but I did not feel very comfortable with the scene system (an idea taken from Flash I presume)

I am leaning more towards SFML & SDL

I don't think AppGameKit will become opensource any soon, since its a commercial product
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I've done some Tier 2 stuff (Windows and Android) a few months ago. For Windows you must still use Visual Studio 2013 but I didn't find the process difficult to use as long as you meet that requirement. To get Tier 2 Android working was still a massive pain compared to other products, and involved installing a lot of obsolete and no-longer-supported packages. Even then it was touch and go. TGC will need to add Android Studio support in the near future since Google no longer distributes the ADT bundle and won't be evolving ADT at all.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2015 22:05 Edited at: 21st Oct 2015 07:38
at current alpha from steam this command crash SetObjectShapeSphere
this also SetObject3DPhysicsLinearVelocity
at pc after compile and run, means at runtime.
AGK (Steam) V2 Beta .. : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (15.7.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 20th Oct 2015 23:33
Markus

Could you post a code snippet showing how you are calling the commands when it crashes?
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2015 00:19
setobjectshapepolygon is in the docs, but not implemented.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2015 00:22
Should Create3DPhysicStaticBody be Create3DPhysicsStaticBody?

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2015 00:24
@stab,
because other thread just this
AGK (Steam) V2 Beta .. : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (15.7.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 21st Oct 2015 00:51 Edited at: 21st Oct 2015 01:02
Markus

Try this

CJB
SetObjectShapePolygon was changed to SetObjectShapeStaticPolygon, Polygon collision is for static objects only.

Quote: "Should Create3DPhysicStaticBody be Create3DPhysicsStaticBody? "

Yes its will be corrected in next release.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2015 07:34 Edited at: 21st Oct 2015 07:39
@Stab
ahh, seems without Create3DPhysicsWorld / Create3DPhysicsDynamicBody other new commands have a problem.
Suji007
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting the 2.0.15 Alpha build working. I was using VS2015 and successfully compiled using 2.0.14. Since the update last week I can't get anywhere. I've gone back to VS2013 for this alpha release in case 2015 was causing trouble for it. I've got errors down by linking the directories:

..\..\common\include
..\..\bullet

And, under Linker / General / Additional Library Dependencies I've added '..\..\platform\windows\Lib\VS2013\Debug' to link the AGKWindows.Lib. The errors I get are LNK2019, with a sample shown below:

1>AGKWindows.lib(Wrapper.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: int __thiscall ContactReport::GetObjectB(void)" (?GetObjectB@ContactReport@@QAEHXZ) referenced in function "public: static int __cdecl AGK::agk::GetObject3DPhysicsContactObjectB(void)" (?GetObject3DPhysicsContactObjectB@agk@AGK@@SAHXZ)

1>AGKWindows.lib(Wrapper.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: class btVector3 const & __thiscall ContactReport::GetContactPosition(void)const " (?GetContactPosition@ContactReport@@QBEABVbtVector3@@XZ) referenced in function "public: static float __cdecl AGK::agk::GetObject3DPhysicsContactX(void)" (?GetObject3DPhysicsContactX@agk@AGK@@SAMXZ)

1>AGKWindows.lib(Wrapper.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: static class ContactReport * __cdecl ContactReport::GetContact(void)" (?GetContact@ContactReport@@SAPAV1@XZ) referenced in function "public: static float __cdecl AGK::agk::GetObject3DPhysicsContactX(void)" (?GetObject3DPhysicsContactX@agk@AGK@@SAMXZ)

1>AGKWindows.lib(Wrapper.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: static class ContactReport * __cdecl ContactReport::GetNextContact(void)" (?GetNextContact@ContactReport@@SAPAV1@XZ) referenced in function "public: static int __cdecl AGK::agk::GetObject3DPhysicsNextContact(void)" (?GetObject3DPhysicsNextContact@agk@AGK@@SAHXZ)

1>AGKWindows.lib(Wrapper.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall Joint::Joint(int,class btTypedConstraint *)" (??0Joint@@QAE@HPAVbtTypedConstraint@@@Z) referenced in function "public: static int __cdecl AGK::agk::Create3DPhysicsPickJoint(unsigned int,int)" (?Create3DPhysicsPickJoint@agk@AGK@@SAHIH@Z)

The template I'm working with is the one in the AGKLibs/apps directory - a copy of 'template_windows_vs2013'. The projects Platform Toolset is set to Visual Studio 2013 (v120), Character Set is set to 'Not Set', and Runtime Library set to Multi-threaded Debug (/MTd). All under DEBUG.

What am I doing wrong? Is something missing in AGKWindows.Lib? It seems to point to Wrapper.obj, which would presumably point to Wrapper.h / Wrapper.cpp but I can't access the .cpp file to check what's missing. Am I linking the AGKWindows.lib file more than once and of different versions so it doesn't know which to use? I thought that was the case before I uninstalled AppGameKit and deleted the directories it left behind before reinstalling.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
S G-K
Chmava
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2015 00:39 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2015 01:16
for c_str(), i know i can do it this way... but...

All function still do not accept long long, and double or higher tend to give out a warning that it was converted to float.

Is agk::LoadImage suppose to cause this issue when running in another threads?
Quote: "Unhandled exception at 0x699D5ADE (atioglxx.dll) in Template.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000558."

There goes the cool looking 3D animated background with no lag...
i always have to load this before any threads...

And bjadams is right, i do not see them anymore....
However, to make AppGameKit work for vs 2015, ancientlady mention that paul himself have to compile AppGameKit for vs 2015.

AGK tier 1 also does not have any function similar to:

std::thread aa(bb);
aa.join();
aa.detach();

bb can be another agk file?
and AppGameKit can auto handle join?
Sure, detach(); can be abused when not use properly... like CPU overheating and such...

AGK also does not update pointer and keys information when sync() is called, only after the loop ended.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2015 11:44
Quote: "All function still do not accept long long, and double or higher tend to give out a warning that it was converted to float."
I had to write my own arbitrary position arithmetic functions for my phone-tap game. I quite enjoyed the experience.
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 08:49
LoadObjectWithChildren(1,"MyObject.3DS") Seems to work fine

however

Myobject=LoadObjectWithChildren("H-Bones-Attack1.3DS")

Fails to load the object.

Overall I am loving the new commands and was amazed at the performance I am getting on my nexus7 2012 version.

Anyone came up with a good control method for FPS on tablets ?
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 10:15
Quote: "Anyone came up with a good control method for FPS on tablets ?"

Virtual Joysticks! You need to tweak the deadzone (SetVirtualJoystickDeadZone) to allow for smooth control (rather than the default stop/start type of control you get with them).
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 11:03
Quote: "Anyone came up with a good control method for FPS on tablets ?"

Bluetooth joypads.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2015 23:46
I am definitely using Tier2 and enjoy it a lot. As a professional programmer, it makes things very easy.

I don't use any of the AppGameKit string commands at all.

Quote: "people like AncientLady, Gekki and other luminaries "

Thank you. It's always nice to know that one is appreciated.

I started a full-time permanent job in January 2014, so I have not had a lot of time for my AppGameKit projects. I hope to be able to spend some time on weekends now.

I just opened the VS2013 AppGameKit 2.14 template, compiled it and it ran fine right out of the box.

If you are comfortable in C++, just use its native stuff for strings and numbers.

Attached are some files that I created to allow me to read/write numbers of all sorts of sizes to AppGameKit sort of files. It also has lots of other utility type stuff for dealing with strings created by AppGameKit functions (when it can't be avoided) and other stuff (like string splitting using C++ native stuff).

The ta_file class references the ta_oops class, that is why both are included.

The ta_file class shows some ways to work with strings natively.
Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2015 23:49
I just wrote a long post and included some uploaded files and it looks like it might have disappeared.

Or, because it has uploads it is possible that it needs to be moderated so that they make sure that the files are safe. I will watch this space. If my response doesn't show up in a few days, I'll repost and include the code inline in the post instead of attaching the files.
Cheers,
Ancient Lady
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2015 08:00 Edited at: 25th Oct 2015 08:03
Quote: "If you are comfortable in C++, just use its native stuff for strings and numbers."

Although I am an experienced programmer using C++ I've never manage to get my program run under the Android environment. Unfortunately no one in the AppGameKit team supports this topic.
I think Ι'll leave the boat.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
AGK1 worked for me during the days of Eclipse

I have no idea these days with AppGameKit and Android Studio

I gave up on AppGameKit on Android as I couldn't get 3rd part libs (for sound) to work with AGK
jlahtinen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2015 11:43

Extended characters are still buggy. This has been the case for like 1,5 years now.
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2015 18:56
with ever update bug's happen
some are not so important to one person but will be to some one else

there are project that we are working ware if there is bug that may not be important in one project but will be in anther
to move side ways - is to move forward
Since a Strait line gets thin fast
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2015 19:54
@Paul Johnston

I ran the new example they worked with out any problem at lest on the pc
i will have to test the on the android devices to see how they respond
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 15:08 Edited at: 26th Oct 2015 15:08
Just an FYI to all: There's a new build expected sometime this week. We know it's been longer than expected, but we're sure that you won't be disappointed! Here's a quick teaser video (created by Jammy), showing animating 3D and physics collisions from Bullet Physics.

-Keith
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2015 19:37
umm any one know what happen to the check box about getting told there was a new message posted in the forum ?

the only thing i liked the did for the forum was the bigger edit box as for the rest about 1/2 of it is important to me
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2015 19:42 Edited at: 27th Oct 2015 19:44
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2015 21:25
@Resourceful
you mean the subscribe button at top?
Chmava
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2015 10:38 Edited at: 28th Oct 2015 11:24
Anyone having issue with edit box after using "agk::SetRawWritePath"?
Edit box was totally broken after that... was not even able to type in it...

If you load them before, it is fine, but if you load them after, they... become mess up?
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2015 22:34
@Markus

thanks
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2015 20:55 Edited at: 30th Oct 2015 12:44
* * * B U G * * *
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I tried testing my PhoneTap game using broadcast and notice the game kept crashing when ads were displayed (they'd either display the static image ad and then crash (stopped responding), or play the sound to a video ad for a few second (just black screen) and then crash). I put it down to testing with broadcast. I just created a full Android APK using my release keystore etc. Installed on my device and am getting the same problem.

Is anyone else having trouble displaying ads with the 2015 alpha? I'd hate to think we have a release coming any day now with broken ads.

EDIT: just reverted back to 2014b and the ads are working fine so I'm confident it's not a problem with my code. Please take a look into full screen ads Paul. The small banner ads are working, but I'm getting a crash when calling:

in 2015 Alpha.

Thanks!
V2 T1 (Mostly)
Phone Tap!
Uzmadesign

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 15:52:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 15:52:44