Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Transfusion [DOWNLOAD]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 16:30
Transfusion

http://www.bansheestudios.com/transfusion.htm

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 16:43 Edited at: 13th Dec 2003 17:23
Downloading now, cant wait, problem is its going at 2.65 kb/sec, so I gotta wait a while

I'll edit my post when its done downloading.

[Edit] Ok then, its fun, but I can't seem to destroy any of the enemies. I fire at them, but not a single bullet hits its mark (unless they're not supposed to hit the spiked things racing toward you). I did manage to get a high score on the online list though (though it isnt that good, only made it through level 1). Graphically, its very good, and I like the music. Overall, I'd say this is pretty good.

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
NickIgoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 19:34
Preston: Keep trying practice makes perfect, We know this game works as we have spent some time on it, the key to this game is using the power ups and knowing when to use which one. We hope you all enjoy it.

Nick Igoe
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 20:43
It worked fine the first time ... Really impressive ... but now it ends the program each time I choose "START GAME"

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 20:48
Damokles, check your display settings in the Options menu. Try specifying a resolution and bit depth rather than using the Windows settings as on some resolutions / graphics cards this default setting could cause a problem.

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 20:54
I just wonder why It worked the first time.
It's really good, allthought, I don't allways understand the movement of the camera

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2003 01:59
Pretty good but it is late and I just can't sem to get to grips with game at all. I'll play properly tomorrow and try and understand all the power-up stuff.

Front menu is a bit dissapointing. Specially the strange way you sync the high score table. What's the idea of shrinking window to the size of a stamp, doing the sync and then resizing window back to normal.

Boo!
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2003 02:51
Quote: "Front menu is a bit dissapointing."

That's sadenning to hear, I put a lot of work into designing a menu that reacted smoothly and with a bit of style.

Quote: "Specially the strange way you sync the high score table. What's the idea of shrinking window to the size of a stamp, doing the sync and then resizing window back to normal."

That is what happens when you select the option to connect to the internet to sync your high score chart. The whole reason the display is in a window during the menu rather than full screen is for the benefit of dial up users who wish to do this. Resizing during ftp commands is a DBP phenomenon and consequently I decided to reduce the application window size to help dial up users find their icons etc.

Quote: "try and understand all the power-up stuff."

After the plot information [at the bottom] on the Transfusion web page is a description of the 5 different weapons which may help.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 01:55
OK, front menu not that bad. It was late last night and I had been Christmas shopping all day was completely knackered. (Can highly recommend that lightning reaction electric shock thingy from gadget shop!).

I tried to play a few games today was getting highly frustrated at long load times between levels and HUGE delay at end of each game. Anything from 3-5 minutes of nothing happening! I have an ATI card. Hope you did not compile game with old V4 patch that has problems with ATI cards when deleting and creating objects.

Other than that game is pretty good.

Boo!
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 04:17
Quote: "Hope you did not compile game with old V4 patch"

I'm sorry but the game uses sprites with alpha settings so I had too use patch 4.1. This game was started way back in the summer and migration to patch 5 was not possible because I had not bargained on DBPro patch 5 not supporting sprites properly.

When we get a working DBP I will recompile it.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 11:31
Fading to each menu option is a bit slow, unfortunately. And its a trifle hard to see your bullets going (something other than blue might be good). Aside for that its very good.

Did you bring the cloak of invisibility ? Oh damn, I left it in the bag of forgetfulness...
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 11:54 Edited at: 15th Dec 2003 11:55
You've hit it on the head TCA. I knew there was something wrong with menu but could not put my finger on it. The fading is far too subtle and slow (about 1 seconds per move) and so navigating the menu is not intuitive enough. Having highlighted option as yellow is probably a bad choice as well as it is too similar to white.

I'll have a go later on my other pc's (without ATI cards!) and hopefully game will be more pleasureable.

Boo!
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 12:56
It was quite buggy for me (got stuck in the walls).
It was really annoying how it kept swtiching betweem full screen and windowed.

Alien Rampage ---->>> http://www.geocities.com/alienware_competition <<<---- All the cool kids are playing it.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2003 17:09
Well it has been out a week now, and what a week! 2,431 downloads which comes to nearly 20gb of data served from Transfusion alone.

Transfusion scored in the following reviews:
File Transit 4/5
Shareup 5/5
Nonags 6/6
Brothersoft 5/5

-*-

Having reviewed the feedback for the game it is clear that we can make improvements to the game. It is our intention to add a difficulty setting which will make the current gameplay 'Easy'.

Harder settings will decrease the length of the levels and increase the levels skipped when taking the fast route through the game which will have the effect of giving a steaper difficulty curve.

The main menu will also be made to be more responsive. I'll be making these changes myself as soon as christmas break starts.

Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2003 20:25 Edited at: 21st Dec 2003 20:26
It would be nicer if the menu was full screen instead of windowed and if it supported the mouse.

It looks good so far, the enemies and environments looks nice and appropriate. The controls are somewhat unresponsive (again would be nice to have mouse based control a la Freelancer). And the ship doesn't really follow the flow of the tunnels like it should.

I really like the boss enemy visually, but it seemed rather trivial to beat it (just by firing repeatedly), would be more interesting if you needed to find some pattern in which to fire in order to defeat the boss.

Also, the game crashes consistently after I pass the fork in the tunnels. (I have a Radeon 8500 and XP)

Now to the thing I absolutely hated.. The Music!!!

No offence, but it was horrible. Most pretentious overuse of a double-kicker in the drumming. The most unmelodic, uninspired, Dream Theatre wanna-be guitar solos ever. The bass line is completely lost in the mix. Total crap!! I turned if off after about 1 minute to keep my head from exploding. Sorry

So get rid of that music, and work on the controls and interface and you'll have something good here

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 06:07
I would just like to announce to you all, in huge ego-boosting news, that Transfusion has broken the 10,000 download land mark and is currently reaching 1,000 new users every week !

Quote: "It would be nicer if the menu was full screen instead of windowed"

Internet based hi-score, dialup users...

Quote: "Also, the game crashes consistently after I pass the fork in the tunnels. (I have a Radeon 8500 and XP)"

That sounds like the DBP patch 4.1 load time bug, it hasn't crashed - it is just 'delayed' ... I will fix this if and when patch 6 fixes sprites (chroma transparency & fps hit)

Quote: "Now to the thing I absolutely hated.. The Music!!!"

The music in question was recorded in 1999 by Israeli guitarist Tamir Erez, the drums certainly are not brilliant but the riffs are excellent. You either love it or you like rap, Banshee Studios will never produce a game with "hip hop trance garage techno vipe, man" or other identical and non-music genres of audable attrocity whilst I have any influence in the team!

Music is a matter of taste, personally my favorite genre's are rock, classical, and metal. I like Alice Cooper, I also like Rondo Veneziano. Therefor the music I chose for games will reflect that. If you like Puff Daddy, M&M, Michael Jackson or whatever Stock Aitken and Waterman have just dreamt up then you will be sorely dissapointed at the music in all my games...

Douglass
Years of Service
User Offline
its a very nice game but i cant believe no one else has this problem:
right before the first boss, something causes me to go outside the level boundries and i cant get back in. whats goin' on?

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 18:56
There is a tight twist in the tunnel at that point and in your case the collision detection is not pulling you through the twist.

The most likely reason for the collision detection to fail is if the frame rate is low, because then the movement of the player ship each 'frame' of the game may transcend the threshold for collision detection, as this ASCII diagram tries to demonstrate.

X - Original Player Position
Y - Player Position on subsequent frames.

This being the case could I please ask what your system specs are so I can ammend the minimum requirement if necessary, cpu speed, ram, graphics card in particular please.

Douglass
Years of Service
User Offline
no, my spec are good. it runs at a good frame rate. I have a Gforce 2 and pentium 4. isnt that good enough?

Douglass
Years of Service
User Offline
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 17:51
There is no other reason I can consieve Doug, the frame rate is too low at that point.

Whether this is because of your system, DBPro, or my programming I don't know - but that is the problem. There is nothing I can do within my power to solve it, short of buying you a new system - even on the remote chance that I win the Alienware competition that is not likely to happen!

Douglass
Years of Service
User Offline
the frame rate is actually very good but I was finally able to get past that part. maybe you should edit the level or change the code a little because i think somethings wrong.

Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2004 00:08
wow, have been looking forward to this, ill edit this post when ive finished downloading

"If you do not master your anger, your anger will master you, I should know"
Kharnor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 05:11 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2004 06:40
Transfusion is a great game! One of the best DB games i have played. I got up to about level 13, after only missing a couple of levels. Here's what i think:

Pros:
* I like the music
* Great graphics and textures
* It is a bit hard when you start, but eventually you get used to it and its really fun!
* The bosses are cool, they could be a bit more varied though
* I like the idea of having a fork at the end of each level, makes it a little less linear

Cons/bugs:
* The fading on the menu is annoying
* At the screen where you enter your name for the high score list, if you keep pressing down it goes off the screen (i.e. if you press down 10 times you have to press up 10 times to get back)
* The spikes are sometimes on the wrong side of the wall
* I too got stuck outside the tunnel at one point: perhaps you should change it so that the ship and the camera automatically follow the curve of the tunnel so you dont have to hit the wall to go around
* The bullets are a little hard to see, perhaps you could make them brighter
* It's not very obvious when you lose a life, it should play a death animation, but not stop

Overall, its a fantastic game. Now if you will excuse me, im off to see if i can get past level 13.

[edit] Okay, i got up to the end of level 14, and got stuck outside again. I had full health with 3 lives left, 7 bursts and almost full red ammo. At the rate i was going, i could've reached level 80. Oh well.

Current project: Parking Lot (puzzle game, 30% complete)
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2004 20:56
That is infuriating because I thought that the wall collision was very robust, I wonder if a background task is causing a momentary lag in the framerate? I did include a framerate "suspension" algorythm to compensate for poorly written background tasks, but it was a new experiment and I wonder if it is not working as well as I had hoped.

You really do want to get to level 15 Khanor, the game changes completely then, and again at around level 35.

As far as I know nobody has got to the last level yet (level 51) except myself.

Kharnor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2004 11:32
Well ive only been thrown out of the level twice, so its not that bad.

And I did get a lot further in the game on my next try: level 27, to be exact! I like how the levels get fully mechanised around level 15, those turrets are really cool. I tried to shoot down their bullets when i first saw them!

Level 27 was just impossible for me - try flying through those tiny tunnels with no powerups and 3 hitpoints left. Madness!

Current project: Parking Lot (puzzle game, 30% complete)
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 22:42
I received an email today from a Dutch magazine publisher interested in putting Transfusion onto coverdisk!

This meens there is the possibility Transfusion will be updated very soon and appearing in Dutch and German speaking versions of one or all of the following magazines: "c't Magazine for computer technology", "CHIP" and "Computer easy".

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 07:00
Another magazine....

Quote: "I am writing to you on behalf of PC World Australia. I produce the cover CDs which are free with the magazine each month. I noticed that Transfusion is a free game to download from www.bansheestudios.com. Can we have your permission for PC World to include the free copy of your game on our CDs?"

I've made a few subtle changes to the game, now I just need help with the language conversions and to fix my DBP 1.41 installation so I can compile it without the ATI bug The update will be soon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 15:08:01
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 15:08:01