Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / [STICKY] DBPro 9Ex

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2017 21:50
Hi Rudolfo,

Thanks for the reply. I have attached the two screen shots as you requested. I hope this sheds some light on the matter.

Kind regards,
Nick

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2017 04:31
Rudolpho wrote: "Yes, I've heard of that, and unfortunately no, this is not an attempt at fixing that. I'm developing on a Windows 7 OS so I can't really reproduce the issue; even using my work laptop which runs the Creator's update I'm not encountering that issue, probably because it has a NVIDIA card instead of AMD, which I think CumQuaT mentioned as being a prerequisite for the issue to occur in one of the other threads about it.
That said I wouldn't mind trying to install some debugging hooks that could be used to try to get more information about what is happening if you want that.
"

There are issues affecting both nVidia and AMD.

As for the Animation playing issue I will look into it further. I think what happens is if I play to image it crashes the program, but I will need to find some time to look into it again to speak definitively on the issue. The handling of images, sprites and animations was in my case a rather complicated and automated affair where hundreds of videos where being loaded and thumbnailed, unloaded, reloaded, etc. So I'll respond later with a much more boiled down assessment with minimal code examples. Or I'll report if the DBPro 9ex corrects things.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 5th Jul 2017 18:55 Edited at: 5th Jul 2017 23:23
I'm sure the Save As problem discussed earlier is caused by the editor. My guess is that the updated Synergy Editor needs to be correctly reinstalled. I have exactly that issue on my desktop where I didn't "install" anything. I merely copied over the whole DBPro folder from my laptop. It's the first, and so far only, problem I've encountered by "cheating". I haven't yet tried reinstalling Synergy since it's so easy to work around the problem. Perhaps it's time I did.

Edit: No, looks like I was wrong. The latest version of Synergy doesn't need to be installed - it's just a simple download. It could be looking for a DBPro registry entry I suppose? However, it looks like the problem is something else.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2017 23:42 Edited at: 6th Jul 2017 00:02
Rudolpho said:

Quote: "I had a look around but unfortunately it seems that TGC don't offer the official upgrade downloads anymore, however this link for the 7.7RC still seems to be in working condition"

They are available. Just go to the Bug Reports board and look for the DBPro Release Details sticky, i.e.

DBPro Release Details

Every upgrade download is listed there. However, you need to edit the links so they read "files" instead of "files2", i.e. use

http://files.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/upgrade/dbpro_upgrade_7_5.zip

instead of

http://files2.thegamecreators.com/darkbasicprofessional/upgrade/dbpro_upgrade_7_5.zip

Edits: How many times did I have to edit this post??? Why is it so awkward to insert a simple link with a text description?
TiberiusHoorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2017 14:08
Thanks Gandalf,

I have the last synergy editor I can find which is from 2013. I extract it directly to the editor folder but it still does not work. I work around the problem by changing the filename using file manager but it would be much easier if it could happen in the editor itself. It could be the registry but my knowledge of this is pretty basic, enough to know what to and what not to delete but as for the details I am a novice.

Nick
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2017 16:21
Yes, that's the simple work around that I use too. Not sure why it's happening.
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2017 16:37
@TiberiusHoorn

My guess is the following:
* You are running a non-English version of windows and Synergy is unable to find a phrase it needs
* Your copy of Synergy is corrupted somehow

The only thing I can suggest is to (re)download Synergy from the sticky post in DBPro forum
Synergy Editor - Available for free HERE!
Automate your home!
TiberiusHoorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2017 11:45
@John Y

Thank you for the advice. I am running an up-to-date Windows 10 British language version....... I guess then it must be corrupted somehow. I will look for the download on the forum. I have already deleted everything DBPro to start anew but I do find it a problem knowing which versions to use/start with. Last time I used a copy of DBPro from the Dark Studio disk to begin with and previously a copy from the GITS site. When I looked I had several different folders on the computer so I have now deleted everything for a fresh start. Who knows, maybe that will help. If you can offer any advice as to which versions to use, I would appreciate it. Once I can get it all working again, I can upgrade to the latest version that Rudolfo has placed online.

Thanks again and have a great weekend,
Nick
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2017 00:02 Edited at: 16th Jul 2017 00:20
Anyone any idea why I suddenly can't use IanM's Matrix1 utilities with DBProEx9? I'm sure I had them working a short while back.

Also I seem to be having problems with Advanced Terrain again. Here are some runtime error messages I've been getting today:

Edit: Actually, I've just noticed that certain Matrix1 functions such as max and min work if I remove the relevant Matrix1 dll. Anyone know why this should happen? Are these functions now included in DBProEx9 or some other plug-in?

Attachments

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2017 05:53
Some of the matrix1 need to have mscvp71.dll and mscvr71.dll Microsoft redistributables, if these are missing it can throw a failed to load dll error. You can drop them in the same folder with the .exe
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 16th Jul 2017 07:41
yes, I used to have the same issue, I made sure my system had :

MFC71.dll
msvci70.dll
msvcp71.dll
msvcp71.dll
msvcr71.dll
msvcr100.dll

Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2017 11:05 Edited at: 16th Jul 2017 12:50
Thanks Ortu and Bored of the Rings. I'd forgotten about those when I transferred everything to this machine. I'll check and report back.

Still leaves the puzzle of why some of the functions worked when I removed the corresponding Matrix1 DLL - must be another function doing the same thing with the same name somewhere. Perhaps they were already in DBPro? I'll check. I know one of them was (abs).

Edit: This is getting weird. Can someone explain why the following program works perfectly when I rename "Matrix1Util_07.dll" as "Matrix1Util_07.dgg" (so it isn't recognized as a dll by the system) but gives me the "failed to load DLL" error message if I reinstate the original file extension and recompile?

I've checked the files suggested and four of them were copied over along with everything else when I set this machine up, one other is not present on either machine as far as I can tell and the sixth one is a duplicate name (should it have been called something else Bored of the Rings?).

Anyway, here's the short program:

Edit2: Here's another short program which fails as I would expect if I remove the necessary DLL , i.e. "Matrix1Util_18.DLL". It fails to compile which is correct.

If, however, I have the DLL file present in the correct location the program compiles fine as I would expect but doesn't do anything when I run it, i.e. no instantly closing window, no error messages or files. Just zilch. Any ideas how this could happen? I'm using DBProEx9 as before.

Here's the code (a MUCH simplified version of something I've used MANY times before):

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2017 14:21
@TiberiusHoorn

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/209135
Automate your home!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2017 15:04 Edited at: 16th Jul 2017 15:11
@John Y

I'm having a similar problem to TiberiusHoorn . I've tried installing the latest version (December 12th 2013?) several times and I still get the following error popup when I try to use Save As to change the name of the currently loaded .dba file. Could I be missing a vital Registry entry somewhere? This is a potential issue for me because I simply copied the whole of my DBPro folder onto my new machine. Most things are fine. However, I had to add the main DBPro registry entries so I could revert or upgrade my version of DBPro (which I am now able to do).

Edit: An afterthought: several people have reported issues with the latest W10 update, i.e. the Creators edition (Version 1703) which I have on the problem machine in question. Could this be such an issue?

Attachments

sladeiw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2017 10:28
Quote: "Still leaves the puzzle of why some of the functions worked when I removed the corresponding Matrix1 DLL - must be another function doing the same thing with the same name somewhere. Perhaps they were already in DBPro? I'll check. I know one of them was (abs)."

IanM did improve some functions that already existed in dbPro. mid$ is another one, the original in dbPro would only get 1 character.
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2017 13:11 Edited at: 17th Jul 2017 13:13
@Green Gandalf

I've just quickly downloaded and run Synergy Editor on Windows 10 Creators, and I can open the Save As screen. I have British English, US English, and Arabic languages loaded. You could try the following in order:
* Run the exe in compatibility mode
* Disable Anti-Virus scanning for Synergy Editor *after* you have done an initial scan on it (scan is for safety reasons only, the file is clean)
* Add the US English language pack to your Windows install
Automate your home!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2017 17:18
@John Y Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try that. Not sure about the need for US English though. This machine came with that set-up and the keyboard was wrong so I had to change it to UK English. The " and @ keys for example were swapped.

The puzzling thing is that most of these problems have just started and I've just checked a program which I know worked a week or so ago - and it doesn't now. Does look like anti-virus behaviour to me so I'll try disabling Windows Defender (if I can find out how to do that).

@sladeiw Yes, I know he changed some but they have always worked for me - and still do when I revert back to DBPro U77RC7 instead of DBProEx9. However, some other things still refuse to run at all - even though the same exe runs quite happily on another machine.

Various people have suggested missing DLLs might be the cause - but that now seems to be unlikely.

I'm inclined to point the finger of suspicion at a recent Windows Update so I'll see if there has been one in the last few days (I vaguely recall there was one). If so, I might be able to uninstall it.
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2017 01:31
So much simpler on Windows XP.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2017 12:37
And even better on W7 - but yes XP was a stable system for me too.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 19th Jul 2017 07:13 Edited at: 19th Jul 2017 07:13
I get an error "Runtime Error 500 - Unknown image error at line 732, tex:45651584 filename@ 'name of entity'_DDS region:0 0 16 16" , when attempting to save image "<filename>",1,5. If I remove the compression option i.e. ",5" for DXT5 compression all is fine.
Does anyone else get this issue?
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2017 18:11
Quote: "Thanks Ortu and Bored of the Rings. I'd forgotten about those when I transferred everything to this machine. I'll check and report back. "

Well thanks both of you. Problem now solved. Somehow I had put those files in the wrong place when I checked a few days ago.

I've now put them in the Windows/SYSWOW64 folder and everything is working nicely. So you were right all along.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2017 23:18
I always keep a copy of the mscv*71.dlls in the same directory as each projects compiled executable, this is a fall back location that the .exe will check if it doesn't find them in the system folder, and these days, most people won't have them in thier system folders. Just makes it a bit easier to move projects/applications about.

Glad you got it sorted!

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 20th Jul 2017 06:25
Glad all ok now.
I recommend getting "process_explorer", you can view what dlls an executable uses:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2017 11:20 Edited at: 20th Jul 2017 11:21
Thanks. That sounds useful. After a few false starts I eventually tracked down how to view the DLLs. Very nifty. Thanks for sharing.

Can you use it for an exe file which isn't an active process? I couldn't see an obvious way to do that.

For those who might be interested in this, here's a part of the DLL listing for one of my demos. You'll see some familiar DLLs listed there.

Attachments

Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 20th Jul 2017 15:12
unfortunately, I think it only shows running EXE's. However, I sometimes use DUMPBIN from within Visual Studio command prompt. e.g. dumpbin "<myprogram.EXE>" /all > "dump.txt"

I then open up the .TXT file and do a search on .dll which will step through each DLL occurrence. Not pretty and there may be other tools that do a better job.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2017 11:01
Quote: "unfortunately, I think it only shows running EXE's"

That's my impression too. It's still a useful tool - as long as you have a copy working on a machine somewhere (as in my case ). Thanks for suggesting it.
TiberiusHoorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2017 22:10
Good evening and thank you to everyone for their tips and ideas. I have tried reloading Synergy Editor, and loading English American versions of Win 10 but have no idea how to stop the virus checker from addressing the editor. Anyhow, I still have the same problem but I will continue to use a workaround until such times as either myself or someone else gets a lightbulb moment, that solves the pesky problem.

As for the Matrix1utils, I solved that by reloading the programs and as someone suggested adding the various dll's and then after restarting it all seemed to work ok, as far as I can see.

Sorry, I did not reply earlier but I was out of town for a few days.

Take care out there,
Nick
Brian Lancaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2017 23:20 Edited at: 9th Sep 2017 23:24
Hello Rudolpho,

I haven't checked for DBP updates in a couple years and this one seems to have fixed my long-time bug of textures flipping upside-down at night on most computers (but not on my laptop that I use to program).

If you check out some of the screenshots in the community hub you will see what I mean: http://store.steampowered.com/app/652410/Brigand_Oaxaca/

9Ex completely fixes this problem (I think there were a lot of arbitrary memory limits that you removed, but I'm no expert).

Unfortunately, whenever I open my game after compiling using 9Ex, The screen is completely blank, no images at all until I press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then press cancel. Then the game works fine. It was the same in both Windowed and Exclusive Mode, across two different computers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2017 11:20 Edited at: 10th Sep 2017 11:44
Quote: "Unfortunately, whenever I open my game after compiling using 9Ex, The screen is completely blank, no images at all until I press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then press cancel."

I get a similar problem with one of the commercial games, HOMM4 (Complete Edition). In that case I find that hitting the windows button and then restoring the game window from the task bar always fixes it. I haven't experienced that issue with DBPro though (although I recall a related issue being discussed on another thread here recently ). Can you reproduce the problem using a very short code snippet so we can take a look?

Edit: Just had a quick look at your link. The upside down texture issue is an odd one. I would expect the transition between day or night to be simply a lighting issue. Do you change anything else? I have no idea what could cause the flipping or why only certain machines are affected. Very weird - and no doubt very annoying when everything else is working nicely.

Edit2: Here's the thread I was talking about:

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/219513
Brian Lancaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2017 23:00 Edited at: 10th Sep 2017 23:28
Quote: " The upside down texture issue is an odd one."

That's why I'm hoping to get 9Ex to work. It completely fixes the texture bug.

However, the DBPCompiler won't work on my laptop. Windows says I don't have permission and automatically deletes the Compiler every time. I changed permissions and followed lots of advice, but it seems the compiler still won't work. I have to use my friend's computer to compile my game now.

Quote: "Can you reproduce the problem using a very short code snippet so we can take a look?"

Apparently the problem only happens if I compile in Exclusive Mode. Windowed Full Screen works after all.

If this code is compiled in Exclusive Mode you will see what I mean. You will see a blank screen. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, then cancel, and you will see the logo.bmp image. Press ESC to end the program.

The bigger problem, though, is that the compiler is not working at all on my laptop. Windows automatically deletes it. Has this happened to anyone else?

EDIT: Actually it won't work on Windowed Mode if I turn the resolution to 1280x960, but it works fine after a short mysterious blank blue screen if I run it on 1024x768. I'm sure both resolutions are allowed.

EDIT 2: Also, I'm pretty sure the reason the textures were flipping upside-down on the old version of DBP (v1.071) was because I loaded dark textures for all the matrix terrain (can't shade matrices). So the reason 9Ex works is probably because they fixed some memory bugs.
Brian Lancaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2017 02:23
Whoops! Never mind. It was Panda Antivirus that was deleting the compiler. I got my game to compile on my laptop, but I still have a problem with Exclusive Mode and 1280x960 resolution, showing only a black screen. Thanks for reading.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 12:22 Edited at: 16th Sep 2017 16:00
Hi Brian,

Sorry not to get back to you sooner. Tried your code using U77RC7 first and no black screen (*) (although under exclusive mode the image only filled part of the screen - not sure why that happens but it happens with the HOMM series of games as well, something to do with the wide screen feature of this laptop). About to check 9Ex now.

(*) Although I did get a black screen when I first ran it - I had forgotten to create the bmp file. [For some odd reason DBPro only warns about missing images for certain image formats. ]

Edit: Done some more testing, using DX9 this time, and it seems I get the same black screen which only disappears after invoking Task Manager. However, the 1024x768 image does not fill the screen only the central section.

The good news is that the following Compatibility Mode allows it to run without the black screen: Windows XP (Service Pack 3). The bad news is that it won't run at all using the Compile+Run option in the Synergy Editor. It does however, run using the Execute last build option after compilation.

That's on my laptop which uses W10 without the Creator's update. I'll now see what happens on my desktop (my guess is that I won't have the widescreen problem of the laptop).

OOPS! Health warning: Still running U77 on desktop. Will post back, yet again, when I've checked again. [B] ) Hopefully this will be my final edit to this post. Just tested this with DBPEx9 on my desktop and the symptoms are the same as described next. Phew! Just checked the desktop and setting the compatibility mode to either XP(SP3) or W7 both work. W7 is better because I don't get the UAC warning - and the Compile + Run option also works fine if I choose that option. . Also, as expected, I don't get the widescreen issue.

I've noticed that Synergy seems to detect the compatibility mode selected in Windows for the exe file even when you overwrite the exe with a new save. I haven't found a way of getting Synergy to set the compatibility mode in the editor. Also, the settings don't seem to be copied over to a different machine. (I can see why, but irritating all the same.)
Brian Lancaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2017 19:25 Edited at: 17th Sep 2017 19:35
Excellent, thank you, Green sir.

However, I don't think I'm going to use 9Ex, because I just timed the loading screen, and it takes nearly twice as long to load each level. (EDIT: Because of loading images)

I wish I could use 9Ex because it completely solves this problem of textures flipping upside down, but I don't think it's worth double loading time.

Thanks for putting up with the irritation. I have to find a way to make the official update work, I think.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2017 19:47
I've never encountered the texture flipping issue and wonder what the cause could be. Could you post a complete short runnable snippet including media so we can take a look? The only thing that occurs to me is the somewhat idiosyncratic way that DBPro handles plains. Is it only plains that are affected?
Brian Lancaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2017 20:46
It's only some objects, including prefab boxes, one apartment object, and (most noticeably) the sign object. It happens at night because I load an entirely new texture for the 2 terrain matrices (one for ground, one for cliffs). I have to load a new night-time texture for the terrain because I can't shade matrices, and this new image data will flip some of the other textures upside down for some reason. I was testing it on a friend's computer and if I didn't load the new nighttime matrix textures everything was still OK.

Unfortunately I can't test it now because I'm at home on my laptop where this problem does not happen. I'm thinking it is because I have Windows 7, 32 bit.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2017 21:58
OK. That is even more weird.

So, you're saying that the simple act of changing the texture of a matrix somehow makes different textures on unrelated objects flip? Are the two matrix textures the same size? Are there image numbers adjacent or what? It's beginning to sound like some sort of memory issue or something like that. I wonder whether anyone else can reproduce the problem? Are there any features shared by the machines which have this flipping issue? How do you change the texture? Do you use a different image id or do you replace the original image? Anyway, it's something to go on.

Quote: "Unfortunately I can't test it now because I'm at home on my laptop where this problem does not happen."

That sort of error is infuriating.
Brian Lancaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2017 13:43
It also bothers me that DBP calls them "plains". They're "planes", man!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2017 15:35
True! Which is why Lee eventually, after much painful arm-twisting (leg-pulling?), agreed to give the command the alternative correct spelling.

The following are equivalent (barring further errors ):

and

The alternative versions of the command are accepted by U77RC7 and DBPEx9 as well as by the Matrix1 version of the same command.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2017 09:13
@Brian Lancaster: To be honest I have no idea what may have caused that issue or how it was resolved. As has been stated a memory corrpution seems like the most likely cause. Still, it must be one hell of a memory mess-up that will carry over into VRAM (without triggering an access violation first) and that without more serious breakage than that.
As for the Windows 10 Creator's Update, that indeed seems to have been causing issues for lots of people, and not only pertaining to DBPro but more DX in general. Unfortunately I haven't really been able to investigate this, ironically because I was forced to reinstall my OS and apparently Microsoft has decided to not allow activation of old OEM Windows 7 keys anymore, thus forcing me to get Windows 10, which has stripped out a lot of development tools for anything below DX11. I'm hoping to get around to getting my build environment going again eventually but it unfortunately takes more time than I've been able to spare lately. But one day...
I wonder if the new "Creator Fall Update" may have resolved anything on the off chance Microsoft would consider themselves having broken any backwards compatibility with that latest update. Not likely but will be interesting to see nonetheless.

Brian Lancaster wrote: "... but it works fine after a short mysterious blank blue screen if I run it on 1024x768."

Have you tried it with something that doesn't just draw a static image (ie. try moving the image back and forth, rotating it, printing the current framerate or something)?
I have a feeling it just draws one of the buffers in the swap chain and you happen to get the second one which has already been rendered to there. Or possibly if it only renders to one of the buffers instead of each one (that should yield flickering unless it also only displays one / a subset of the total though or your framerate is a perfect multiple of your monitor refresh rate).

Green Gandalf wrote: "I haven't found a way of getting Synergy to set the compatibility mode in the editor."

The compiler could be made to do that, assuming the editor won't overwrite it after.

Brian Lancaster wrote: "I don't think I'm going to use 9Ex, because I just timed the loading screen, and it takes nearly twice as long to load each level. (EDIT: Because of loading images)"

It shouldn't do that. Are you using the ENABLE VIRTUAL TEXTURE MANAGEMENT command or creating your images using a third party dll? In that case it can take longer as it has to allocate backing texture copies in RAM, but if not it should if anything be faster as those copies (which are created by default, however it is a built-in feature of DX9.0c so quite probably more efficient than the hacky function call interception method I have to employ, in the official DBPro versions) are not created or synchronized.
Brian Lancaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2017 03:04
The initial temporary all-blue screen happens on both that test program and my official game. It happens on two separate computers as well (Windows 7, 32 bit and Windows 7, 64 bit). As for the longer loading times, I don't use any special commands or plugins, but it takes twice as long as DBP U77 to load the images on a map. Again, I've tried this on both computers.
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 1st Nov 2017 16:22 Edited at: 1st Nov 2017 16:32
Found pretty unpleasant bug today.
I have tried to get antialiasing which you can turn on with "Set Display Mode" command.
AA works fine with DBPro but only with camera 0, so I decided to move lighting render to cam 0.
So bug appears when I have tried to "set camera to image" to cam 0 to use its image with AA inside deferred shading pipeline.
Whole render gets weird like backdrop turns off or something.By the way cam 0 renders its image but without any AA.
So we have true AA ( not FXAA ) but cant use it.
I upload small demo here to play with

Attachments

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2017 19:31
@Brian Lancaster: Hm that sounds odd, it isn't anything I've experienced myself or had any other reports of. Regarding your blue screen, that is probably caused by the swap chain not being moved (by calling sync) enough times to bring a drawn-to buffer to the front.

@Kuper: Camera 0 is intended to always be drawn to the screen rather than to images so I'm not surprised that yields unexpected results.
If you want to multisample a render target in DX9 I believe a separate back buffer has to be set up for it, which is quite more work than it is in DX11. Also keep in mind that you probably have to perform the anti-aliasing yourself in a shader from your multi samples so it will likely be a two-step procedure (render scene to a texture, then render that texture with anti-aliasing to yet another texture).
Unfortunately there is currently no way to set up a secondary back buffer from DBPro as far as I know (a third party library could technically do this but I don't recall ever hearing of such a library).
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2017 01:56 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2017 01:59
Sad to hear that...
Quote: "have to perform the anti-aliasing yourself in a shader"
- antialiasing as post effect ( FXAA ) I already have but built-on DBPro true antialiasing show much better results.
I've checked STYX plugin, which also have antialiasing mode - but it also works only for camera 0.
If camera 0 is dedicated only for screen maybe there is way to turn antialiasing on for another cam?
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2017 22:22 Edited at: 8th Nov 2017 22:49
PS
I think I found the only solution - just double size of camera image.
Look not as good as 4x AA but it works at least.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 14:25
Hi Rudolpho! Sorry I've been absent. I've just gotten back from helping my grandfather through some fairly significant illness (he's alright now, though). I still plan on getting you those assets soon, too!

Just wanted to let you know, I'm still running into a "code limit" while using DBPro 9Ex. If I attempt to compile my code in its current state I get a "Could not create EXE" error, but if I comment out some code (it doesn't matter what code) it compiles ok.
Help out a fellow dev! Download and rate my games! They're free!

Wizzed Off! - (Android) (iOS)
God of Thunder - (Android) (iOS)
Extreme Lawn Mowing - (Android) (iOS)
Drunken Heroes - (Android) (iOS)
Weekend at the Himalayas - (Android) (iOS)

And you can get Fluffy Knuckleduster merchandise at our new store!
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 20th Nov 2017 08:49 Edited at: 10th Dec 2017 10:39
[edited]

Attachments

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2017 18:54
Kuper wrote: "If camera 0 is dedicated only for screen maybe there is way to turn antialiasing on for another cam?"

I may be wrong but I don't think there is any hardware antialiasing that can be turned on at all; the best you can get is multisampling. You can then use the multisamples to implement anti-aliasing yourself from a shader. Of course simply multisampling without any post processing may still yield smoother edges, but I don't think that is technically called AA. What you're doing when doubling the camera size is essentially provide 4x as many pixels (ie. 4x multi sampling), resulting in a more detailed image that the GPU then downsamples to fit your screen size. The trick to "real" AA is basically just weighting the individual samples differently.
If there is/was a way to pull this off in a previous DBPro release or a third party plugin, odds are that uses a full screen shader internally.

@CumQuaT: Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that, though good to hear he is doing better! Haha, don't worry about those assets, work has been pretty much stand-still slow on that front lately. Thanks for remembering though

CumQuaT wrote: "Just wanted to let you know, I'm still running into a "code limit" while using DBPro 9Ex. If I attempt to compile my code in its current state I get a "Could not create EXE" error, but if I comment out some code (it doesn't matter what code) it compiles ok."

Hm, how long is the code that causes this more precisely? Would you be able to share it or auto-generate the necessary amount of code that causes the issue?

Bored of the Rings wrote: "[edited]"

Whatever was edited I wonder?
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 06:54
@Rudolpho-the post was about the Matrx1Utils Coroutine commands only working up to v1003. v1004 onwards, they do not work. I edited the post as I didn't think it would be resolvable.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 14:08
Rudolpho wrote: "Hm, how long is the code that causes this more precisely? Would you be able to share it or auto-generate the necessary amount of code that causes the issue?"

I'm not even sure at this point... The only thing I can think of is to just send you the entire codebase so you can try and compile it yourself and see what happens.
Help out a fellow dev! Download and rate my games! They're free!

Wizzed Off! - (Android) (iOS)
God of Thunder - (Android) (iOS)
Extreme Lawn Mowing - (Android) (iOS)
Drunken Heroes - (Android) (iOS)

And you can get Fluffy Knuckleduster merchandise at our new store!
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 22:20
Open fullsourcedump.dba in something like notepad++ or sublime text, jump to bottom will give you the total line count

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 06:11:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 06:11:20