Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AppGameKit V2017.3.31 Released!

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 16:15
With this new release we are adding the ability for developers to create plug-in commands to the Tier 1 BASIC script language. Currently this is for Windows platform only but we hope to support Mac and Linux in the coming months once we know the Windows version is working well. This new feature will allow developers to create new plug-in commands that can bolt on to the main AppGameKit languge. We have supplied a simple plug-in example for illustrate to devs how the process works.

Please note, due to the new DLL support on the Windows platform this version contains breaking changes. Bytecode compiled with older versions will not work with this version, and bytecode compiled with this version will not work with older players.

Here's a full list of the new features in this build;

Plug-ins for Windows Platform

* Added the ability to load plugins on Windows apps with #import_plugin
* Added an example project that demonstrates using a plugin
* Currently plugins will not work when debugging via the AppGameKit IDE
* Full details on how to create your own plug-ins can be found HERE.

IDE
* Fixed a crash in the IDE if an open file was deleted outside the IDE and then closed without saving after double clicking it in the side bar

Text Objects
* Fixed tab characters in a text object string causing inconsistent spacing when displayed

Windows App Sizes
* Fixed SetWindowAllowResize on Windows causing the window title bar to change size, causing the window itself to change resolution

Particles
* Fixed particles with rotation applied not being square when using the percentage based coordinate system

3D Physics
* Fixed a crash in SetSpritePhysicsMass using a polygon shape with a very small value passed to SetPhysicsScale

In-App Purchases
* Fixed InAppPurchaseRestore causing a crash on iOS

Virtual Buttons
* Changed SetVirtualButtonSize so it can accept both an X and Y value
* Increased the number of virtual buttons allowed to 100

iOS GameCenter
* Fixed a crash in GetGameCenterPlayerID on iOS if the player ID is null

Mac Platform
* Fixed SetWindowPosition on Mac using the bottom left corner of the screen as the origin, it will now use the top left corner to match other platforms

Tier2
* Fixed Android Tier 2 projects failing to compile

Help Files
* Fixed help files missing some command parameters

AppGameKit Player
* The AppGameKit Player no longer saves default images in the write folder during startup, default images are loaded from memory instead.

Want to know what's coming next? Check out the AppGameKit Roadmap plans here.
Development Director
TGC Team
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 16:41 Edited at: 31st Mar 2017 16:46
Quote: "Virtual Buttons
* Changed SetVirtualButtonSize so it can accept both an X and Y value
* Increased the number of virtual buttons allowed to 100"

good idea

Quote: "Plug-ins for Windows Platform"

great
AGK (Steam) V2017.02.28 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.2.1) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS Sierra (10.12.2)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 16:42
Quote: "Plug-ins for Windows Platform"

Does this mean we can access external APIs?
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 16:55
Everytime I download and install the latest update to AppGameKit (Which I do often, usually within hours of the new release being, well, released), and every time I always, always, ALWAYS have to run the installer twice because of this...

It's not a biggy, but it is a little bit irritating and It's perhaps concerning to newcomers or people not too familiar with PC's.

Is there anything you can do to sort this out? (Apologies if I have said about this before, I can't remember if I have or not but I know it's been a problem for a few updates now)
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 16:56 Edited at: 31st Mar 2017 17:16
Quote: "Does this mean we can access external APIs?"

Yes, anything that can be accessed from C++ can be added to a plugin.

Quote: "Is there anything you can do to sort this out?"

It's because the file doesn't have any reputation with Microsoft. I'll see if there is anything we can do to sort it out
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 18:18 Edited at: 31st Mar 2017 18:20
EEEEKK!!!

I've installed AGK2 (2017.3.31) on my laptop (I uninstalled the old one first, just as a precaution), and the AppGameKit Player 2 (2017.3.31) on a couple of test devices (A Galaxy Note 3 running Android 5.1 and a Galaxy S7 Edge running Android 6.0) and this is all I get when I try and broadcast a project to the player...

>Edit<
Fixing mistakes

>Edit 2<
I am unable to test the iOS version of the player as it's not available to update yet
Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 18:21
will the plugin's commands work when exported to mobile?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 18:43
Quote: "will the plugin's commands work when exported to mobile?"

Quote: "Currently this is for Windows platform only"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 18:56
Quote: " this is all I get when I try and broadcast a project to the player"

Just tested with the version from the store and the Windows version of the IDE and it worked on a simple project here. Did the compile finish successfully? It should have produced a bytecode.byc file in your project's media folder
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 20:06 Edited at: 31st Mar 2017 20:32
A simple new project/hello world program compiled and broadcast fine.

My current game which I am working on still comes up with the same problem when I try and broadcast it. It says it compiles ok, and plays ok on Windows.

>Edit<
I should point out this worked fine on the previous version of AGK.
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 20:25 Edited at: 31st Mar 2017 20:27
AGK Player V2017.3.31 same as previous version doesn't work on Windows XP! Many people still on XP...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 20:38
Quote: "Plug-ins for Windows Platform

* Added the ability to load plugins on Windows apps with #import_plugin
* Added an example project that demonstrates using a plugin
* Currently plugins will not work when debugging via the AppGameKit IDE
* Full details on how to create your own plug-ins can be found HERE."

This is fantastic news. Going to have a play now...
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 21:04
Thanks Paul! Nice new features. Cant wait to see what plugins the community will come up with
Download My Games for Android. Made with AGK.
Jellyfish Dive- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
Brick Destroyer - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_BrickDestroyer
Ping Bong - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_Pong_Ping_Bong
GameDevGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "* Added the ability to load plugins on Windows apps with #import_plugin"

This is a fantastic feature. Tier 1 is great, and being able to extend it in this way opens up so many possibilities, without having to go the whole way with Tier 2.

Thank you.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 23:03
Quote: "My current game which I am working on still comes up with the same problem when I try and broadcast it."

I tried some more complex projects but they also work here. Could you send me you project so I can try to replicate the problem?

Quote: "GK Player V2017.3.31 same as previous version doesn't work on Windows XP!"

It seems to is the new IPv6 code that is causing the issue. In theory if you run an app that doesn't require networking it might work, but unfortunately the player requires networking. I'll have a quick look to see if we can work around it.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 23:07
That was fast! Looking forward to trying out some plugins.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 00:16
Fantastic news!
Thanks alot Paul

Is anyone able to code a DLL which would enable us to use the STEAM achievements and stats?
I can't do it myself (yet), my C++ skills suck

We would only need like 6 commands:
InitSteam to initialize the Steam API
ShutdownSteam to shutdown the Steam API
GetAchievement to get the status of the achievement ( locked or unlocked )
SetAchievement to set the achievement to unlocked
ClearAchievement to set the achievement to locked
StoreStats to 'upload' achievements which have been set or cleared. ( Normally called immediately after setting/clearing achievements )

I used a DLL like this when coding with Blitz3D, it worked like a charm

PSY

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 07:36 Edited at: 1st Apr 2017 10:57
This is excellent. I will have to convert my projects to AppGameKit and write some dlls in the process.

Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
pinete
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot, the new features are just great!.

At the other hand, I'll experiencing the same problem that =PRoF= mentioned before.
Trying to broadcast to any android device I get the same screen that =PRoF= showed some post before.
I've tried to delete the projects at the users folders (agkapps and windows), installing and reinstalling... but still not working.
The project is not a complex one, and it worked with the previous versions of AppGameKit.
Any clue on what can be happening?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 08:46
The help files say that you can use any language that can export a DLL. If anyone knows how we can use C#, please post
I don't know how the .h file and declspec would translate to a C# template.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TutCity is being rebuilt
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 09:39
@Paul Johnston:
I will try and reproduce the problem on a simpler project to send to you, but failing that I will send you the one I am currently working on.
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 10:28
Forgive me to sound silly - but how do you download/update this again...

Steam would tend to say (there is an update waiting, download?.....)

This update doesn't,

Is it a cumulative update (the software updates automatically)

or a major release? (have to go find it to purchase on Steam)

or is it even on Steam yet and just available to TGC purchasables at moment?

Thanks

Damian
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 11:05
@Paul I'm also seeing the same broadcast error in the player.

Here's what I found while testing it and creating half a dozen or so new projects with no changes made to them.

Not all projects will broadcast to the Android Player. For me it was like the first didn't work, the second did, the third and fourth didn't but the fifth did etc. The oddest thing is that the ones that didn't work never work, even after creating new ones and trying to broadcast the ones that didn't work the first time. I can't see a pattern but it seems like if the project doesn't broadcast it probably won't broadcast in the current version of the Android Player at all.

All of the projects I've created were fresh projects with no changes made, on a Mac and broadcasting to the Android Player. The only difference between each project is obviously the project name and SetWindowTitle but I did try and change SetWindowTitle on some of the ones that didn't work to the same as one that did to see if there's certain characters it doesn't like but that made no difference.

I also closed AppGameKit IDE and the player down multiple times to see if that helped.
Alex_Peres
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 11:32 Edited at: 1st Apr 2017 11:44
2Paul: My program doesn't work too. Without any networking... Please Paul, remove somehow IPv6 code for XP only...
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 12:01
Update - had a corrupted Steam client, un/reinstalled and this is now downloaded and good to go
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 13:03
Great news !
Thanks.

In the doc, it's written : "written in any language that can export to a DLL".
I have tried to export a dll with purebasic (ProcedureCDLL/endprocedure), but It doesn't work to import the dll in agk.
If anybody knows how to export and load a dll made with purebasic in AppGameKit, I'm very interested .
AGK2 tier1 - http://www.dracaena-studio.com
ShaunRW
DBPro Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 14:32
Quote: "I have tried to export a dll with purebasic (ProcedureCDLL/endprocedure), but It doesn't work to import the dll in agk."

I tried the same thing. A message box popped up saying Failed to load plugin "plugintest" required by this app, it may not be available for this platform.
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 14:35
Purebasic.

hmmmm

Try using the AppGameKit IDE
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 15:06 Edited at: 1st Apr 2017 15:07
Quote: "Fantastic news!
Thanks alot Paul

Is anyone able to code a DLL which would enable us to use the STEAM achievements and stats?
I can't do it myself (yet), my C++ skills suck

We would only need like 6 commands:
InitSteam to initialize the Steam API
ShutdownSteam to shutdown the Steam API
GetAchievement to get the status of the achievement ( locked or unlocked )
SetAchievement to set the achievement to unlocked
ClearAchievement to set the achievement to locked
StoreStats to 'upload' achievements which have been set or cleared. ( Normally called immediately after setting/clearing achievements )

I used a DLL like this when coding with Blitz3D, it worked like a charm

PSY"

The Zombie Killer wrote a steam plugin for dbpro and released the source for it to github. I imagine it should be able to be modified for AGK.

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/211760#msg2565647

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 16:53
Quote: "Not all projects will broadcast to the Android Player."

I found a project that had the problem, it turns out any project that had a space or special character in its name would fail to broadcast correctly. I've uploaded a new player to Google Play. Exported apps should be unaffected by this bug.
pinete
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much Paul, just tested the broadcast works for me correctly now!
Much appreciated.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 17:46 Edited at: 1st Apr 2017 17:51
I just downloaded the updated player now, and Yay! It's fixed the problem.

I'm glad you sorted that Paul, I'd have never worked out it was caused by spaces in the file name

Thanks ever so much
chamaeleon
Years of Service
User Offline
BatVink wrote: "The help files say that you can use any language that can export a DLL. If anyone knows how we can use C#, please post
I don't know how the .h file and declspec would translate to a C# template."

Unmanaged Exports may help you out: https://www.nuget.org/packages/UnmanagedExports
According to project page (https://sites.google.com/site/robertgiesecke/Home/uploads/unmanagedexports) it should just work by annotating static methods with DllExport after you add the NuGet package to your solution.
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 21:06
psy ,
if you or anyone get that STEAM workin i'd really like to hear about it. i have a few games on steam ya know ;D
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 01:27
Quote: "If anybody knows how to export and load a dll made with purebasic in AppGameKit, I'm very interested"

you must declare the function "ReceiveAGKPtr" but I have no idea what its for and must export all as "ProcdureCDLL" from PureBasic 5.44 x86 with unicode turned off, I got a semi working framework going but crashing on string returns and erroruns floats, not sure PureBasic is going to be of any use, I had problems with 5.60 x64 versions with unicode, the string would need to be converted before returning, for this to work fully in PureBasic the AppGameKit function set would need to be exported as a .lib and Prototyped in PB.... after sevrail attempts I gave up and installed VS2017 but would love to get it working from PB, if you want only integer return values and not use AppGameKit functions then I can provide what I got so far but its pretty useless IMO until it works properly with string and floats

@Paul, what does ReceiveAGKPtr do and should any value be returned?, also any idea whats causing the AppGameKit player to crash when returning string values

MadBit
VIP Member
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 02:26 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2017 02:27
PartTimeCoder wrote: "@Paul, what does ReceiveAGKPtr do and should any value be returned?"

Initializes all internal AppGameKit functions. Which may be used in your plugin.
see: AGKLibraryCommands.cpp at line 1735

If you want to write a plugin in another language then you also have to rewrite this file.
Share your knowledge. It\'s a way to achieve immortality. (Tenzin Gyatso)
Pixie-Particle-Engine
chamaeleon
Years of Service
User Offline
Using C# in Visual Studio 2015, in conjunction with Unmanaged Exports from NuGet, and following the directions seems to have worked.

Commands.txt file

Simple addition test displaying the result of 2+3.

Per instructions for plugins, renamed DLL to Windows.dll and put it and Commands.txt in a AGK\Tier 1\Compiler\Plugins\Adder folder.

Your mileage may vary.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 07:26
Thanks Chameleon, appreciated!!!
TutCity is being rebuilt
JosephB
Years of Service
User Offline
With the new version, I am having difficulty with SetObjectMeshImage(1,1,1,0) when used with LoadObjectWithChildren(1,"nameoffile.x"). The commands work fine in windows 10 when complied using "Run", but when I broadcast to the Android device, I receive the following error message: Failed to set mesh image for object 1 mesh 1-mesh index is out of range in main.agc at line 81.

Line 81 is the following command; SetObjectMeshImage(1,1,1,0). Object has loaded and images have loaded. the object has a total of 4 meshes.

The broadcast completes the file loading, but cannot play, then displays the error message. Everything worked fine before the new version. I have updated the AppGameKit 2 Player for the Android and other projects not using that use the commands (SetObjectMeshImage(1,1,1,0) when used with LoadObjectWithChildren(1,"nameoffile.x")) seem to broadcast without error.

Thank you for your help.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 15:33
Quote: "@Paul, what does ReceiveAGKPtr do and should any value be returned?"

As Madbit says, it sets all the function pointers for the AppGameKit functions. If you don't want to use AppGameKit functions this can be an empty function.

Quote: "any idea whats causing the AppGameKit player to crash when returning string values"

I've added a section to the plugins help page about strings, basically memory cannot be allocated on one side of the DLL<->AGK boundary and deleted on the other.

Quote: "With the new version, I am having difficulty with SetObjectMeshImage(1,1,1,0) when used with LoadObjectWithChildren(1,"nameoffile.x"). "

I tested with the BoneAnimation example that comes with AppGameKit by using SetObjectMeshImage to set the gun image. Works on Android here.
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 16:38
Quote: "The Zombie Killer wrote a steam plugin for dbpro and released the source for it to github. I imagine it should be able to be modified for AGK.

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/211760#msg2565647"

Nice one, thanks for the info !!

Quote: "psy ,
if you or anyone get that STEAM workin i'd really like to hear about it. i have a few games on steam ya know ;D"

Yeah,
would be awesome

It isn't even necessary to catch the asynchronous Steam callbacks. Works just fine without them.
Man, I really need to get some C++ skills

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 19:41
I tried using Chamaeleon's method for creating a DLL using C#.

DLL compiled OK
Placed in the Plugins/AGKSheets folder (with Commands.txt file)
Renamed to Windows.dll

Clicked Compile - compiled OK. BUT!! It deleted the plugin folder and all of it's files.
I created a second backup folder of the Plugins/AGKSheets folder, and this was also deleted. This folder had no reference to it in the program.
Finally, I created the Plugins/AGKSheets folder, and removed the Plugin import line from the code. Even without any reference to the DLL, the folder is deleted!

I am at a loss
TutCity is being rebuilt

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 19:51
Full project attached for testing
TutCity is being rebuilt

Attachments

PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 19:52 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2017 19:54
Quote: "I've added a section to the plugins help page about strings, basically memory cannot be allocated on one side of the DLL<->AGK boundary and deleted on the other."

ok cool, I got that working, send strings back to AppGameKit as pointers created with "CreateString" and works like a charm, just one more question, some of my functions accecpt string prams sent from AppGameKit, how are these handled, does AppGameKit clean up here or should I be freeing them in my PureBasic code?, Im assuming as AppGameKit allocates the memory for them then it also frees them?
chamaeleon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 21:21 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2017 21:31
BatVink wrote: "Clicked Compile - compiled OK. BUT!! It deleted the plugin folder and all of it's files.
I created a second backup folder of the Plugins/AGKSheets folder, and this was also deleted. This folder had no reference to it in the program.
Finally, I created the Plugins/AGKSheets folder, and removed the Plugin import line from the code. Even without any reference to the DLL, the folder is deleted!"

If you put the AGKSheets folder containing Commands.txt and Windows.dll in <path to your AppGameKit installation>\AGK\Tier 1\Compiler\Plugins\, the Plugins directory in your game project folder should be recreated by copying from that location. Basically, the Compiler\Plugins directory becomes the source from where all your plugins can be copied for any of your projects, similarly to how the AppGameKit runner is copied to your game project directory.

Having said that, trying to compile and run your test program (after copying said files to my own AppGameKit installation), I'm not able to run it due to failure to look up the ReceiveAGKPtr function. Why this is the case, I don't know. There's some difference between how your .NET DLL was created and mine, but I can't say what that difference is, unfortunately. In any case, attempting to run your code does result in it (successfully I think) loading the DLL, followed by the failure to look up the function.
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 23:38
Why is everyone so afraid of using C++ to create the DLL?
There is no real advantage to using C# or pure basic.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2017 00:10 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2017 00:22
Quote: "Why is everyone so afraid of using C++ to create the DLL?
There is no real advantage to using C# or pure basic."

Because people like to use what they already know and are comfortable with.

Why do people use c# over c++ in general? It provides a lot of convenience and it is an enjoyable language to work with.

Jerry McGuire
Years of Service
User Offline
=PRoF= wrote: "I am unable to test the iOS version of the player as it's not available to update yet "

Same problem

Attachments

pinete
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys,
not sure if someone has mentioned this before, but I cannot DEBUG the app, broadcasting is OK but when Debugging (just clicking on the Debug button) a popup appears saying "Failed to open bytecode for reading".
Is this happening usually or it's just me?
Thanks a lot!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2017 09:15
Quote: "* Currently plugins will not work when debugging via the AppGameKit IDE"
Signature removed by mod because it's larger than 600x120... please resize and try again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 18:40:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 18:40:37