Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / COVID OPS - a coronavirus simulation game

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2020 10:46
A fellow dev was musing about a basic currentevents-based game idea that he thought would be made by now - something that simulates the coronavirus. He ended with mentioning he hasn't the time to make it but would like to see what other devs come up with.

Challenge accepted!

COVID OPS puts you in charge of a camp of 60 people hiding away until the pandemic clears. A vaccine is still 180 days away and... well, you just found out you've got infected people in your camp!

Isolate and hospitalize people as needed. Institute a camp-wide lockdown if necessary. However you do it, you've got to keep your people alive until the 180-day mark. Good luck!

https://lynxjsa.itch.io/covid-ops

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
Great. I've been working in China for the past almost 5 years. Been in unofficial "lockdown" since 27 january, and officsial 2 FEB. Since about 2 weeks ago we can go outsid and spend more time buy things. And it might continue like this until end april/may....
Amd in china its a matter of... NO WORK... NO PAY.... guess what I'm trying to say?
It' really terrible...
Hope everyone is still save and healthy. Strange to see all the other countries going thru what we had 2 months back.
Re-living everything over again. And now they talk about a possible stage 2 on the way, with all the foreigners and chinese slowly coming back to china.
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2020 17:01
"Strange to see all the other countries going thru what we had 2 months back."

I think it's because everyone - citizens and leaders alike - tend to think, "That could NEVER happen here."

Stay home. Stay safe. o/
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2020 19:15 Edited at: 30th Mar 2020 20:57
Quote: "NO WORK... NO PAY.... guess what I'm trying to say?"

C0VID-19 = Thug Life?

Your itch link got me thinking about one of the recent jams , and I noticed one of the entries "DeadBus", and I noticed it was inspired by CrazyBus, and reading that made me imagine that CrazyBus could have been a sound test for passing cryptically hidden files in the sound files of video games (steganography).

All jokes and paranoia aside, I really like the game, but spent far too much money in my first attempt. (trying again...)

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Attachments

Hubert BAYRE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2020 08:55
Strange idea to make a game about COVID. Sorry i'm a caregiver, and today i work with COVID care service. This is not a game here.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2020 17:33 Edited at: 5th Apr 2020 18:37
Quote: "Strange idea to make a game about COVID."

i agree, but i also acknowledge that these are strange times. while maybe "too soon", "games" about world-altering events do (always) come out, eventually . and, this (which aims to be a "light simulator") remains "tasteful" in doing so, in my opinion.

alas, i wasn't looking for a game of this theme, but since a fellow forum-ite is developing it, i did give it a couple of plays and can appreciate what being offered thus far.

i can't call it fun (i don't think it was meant to be much), but it is interesting, as is the technical side (while i'm currently looking for what AGK's HTML5 offerings can be, specifically, such as this)).

speaking of "technical", i did receive an "array index out of bounds" error (attached) while selecting the "hospitalize" icon once.

otherwise, "interesting", as stated, and looking forward to further development.

obvious suggestions at this point would include sound/music and maybe a little guidance on how to play (it's not too hard to figure it out, tho, re: games of this genre) while "hover-text" would be appreciated as we "mouse over" things.

finally, this seems to be as good a place as any for well wishes to all, right now. especially to those such as hubert who are as close to it as anyone might care to get. you and what you do are appreciated all across our globe.

just noticed the help button

Attachments

Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2020 13:53

Update 1.5 released!

Quote: ""Strange idea to make a game about COVID.""

It is primarily a sim, as it emulated the lifecycle of the virus. The goal is to help people see the benefits of separation and isolation. In the sim, just like in real life, only two things currently stop the spread of Coronavirus. One is isolation, and the other is when it has infected EVERYONE it can reach. It is more an awareness tool and simulation than a game. On the main page, you will see I include several peritinent links to help become more aware of how this is not "just the flu" or something to take lightly, especially for the elderly and people with significant pre-existing conditions (co-morbidities).

Quote: "obvious suggestions at this point would include sound/music"

Agreed. I plan to work on that this week now that much of the core has been written and refined a decent bit.

Update 1.5 changes:

Major

- added ability to choose between 60, 90, and 120 people in the camp
- changed timeframe from 180 days to 30 days to make the gameplay window better fit the virus lifecycle

Minor

- made days last longer to allow for more time to act on individual people stats and conditions
- removed "serious" from endgame chart as it was little more than a mirror of the infected data
- added shading to mark lockdown periods on the endgame chart
- Severe and Critical no longer generate daily revenue
- Severe and Critical come to a standstill until recovered or moved by others

Hubert BAYRE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2020 15:13
Quote: "It is primarily a sim, as it emulated the lifecycle of the virus. The goal is to help people see the benefits of separation and isolation. In the sim, just like in real life, only two things currently stop the spread of Coronavirus. One is isolation, and the other is when it has infected EVERYONE it can reach. It is more an awareness tool and simulation than a game. On the main page, you will see I include several peritinent links to help become more aware of how this is not "just the flu" or something to take lightly, especially for the elderly and people with significant pre-existing conditions (co-morbidities)."

So it's an interesting idea to explain more the covid impact.
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2020 17:16
Quote: "to explain more the covid impact."

Exactly.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2020 23:25 Edited at: 6th Apr 2020 23:29
after the 1.5 update, play is pretty sluggish for me (FF). selecting citizens is "hit or miss" as to whether or not they've been selected (looking forward to a sound associated with this, to help), especially with the 120 citizen camp which might need a "select area" function that, perhaps, generates a queue of names from within the area to select individuals from to address?

full screen doesn't seem to do anything. the same app screen (dimensions) is tucked into the lower-left corner of full screen (haven't seen that in my own HTML compiles).

when selecting a citizen, the data on the left advises whether they are infected or not. is there any benefit to testing them in either case (other than spending the money)?

and, the sim starts out missing the test and hospitalize icons (while respective purchase icons are visible). it doesn't matter whether or not there are tests/beds available. see attached. on refresh, post-game, they appeared.

meanwhile, making sure that you didn't miss the error that i reported yesterday.

Attachments

Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2020 03:56
"after the 1.5 update, play is pretty sluggish for me (FF)."

1.5 reduced the number of loops and actually sped up the 60-person camp. Are you sure it's not that you are experiencing it slower when you choose 90 or 120?

"full screen doesn't seem to do anything"

forgot that was even in the default AppGameKit HTML. Will take that out. Thanks.

"when selecting a citizen, the data on the left advises whether they are infected or not"

Clicking on them manually is like diagnosing them. A Test is confirmation.

" is there any benefit to testing them in either case (other than spending the money)?"

As this is a simulation of a real life event, that's one of the questions for people to ask themselves as we clamour and plead for tests. What is the purpose of the tests?

"and, the sim starts out missing the test and hospitalize icons (while respective purchase icons are visible). it doesn't matter whether or not there are tests/beds available. see attached. on refresh, post-game, they appeared."

Those two buttons are not present until you select a person to use them on. Refreshing the game didn't make them appear, clicking one the people did. If that's presenting confusion, what I can do is start with a person selected when the game starts.

Thanks for the feedback!

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2020 00:04 Edited at: 8th Apr 2020 00:28
Here were the results of my first and second run... (need one try go to get the gist of what was going on)

I saved a lot of cash the second time around, so maybe there is hope for our politicians in round two.

The stats were not that different, but the chart clearly shows the steady progress of containment, or not.

(first version)

Quote: "
- removed "serious" from endgame chart as it was little more than a mirror of the infected data "

Yeah man, it's all serious.

Quote: "
is there any benefit to testing them in either case (other than spending the money)?"

No.

With delayed symptoms, testing is useless, as those infected have likely already spread it, and whether you have it or not by the time you show symptoms is moot if there is no cure.

Quarantine them all with house arrest, or wait until they show symptoms and crowd the infected together so your hospitals have no room for patients suffering other illnesses.

PURGE

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 09:36:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 09:36:21