Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / my alien ware game ? or should i say mini game :(

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 18:24
http://w1.414.telia.com/~u41404878/Grunt.zip
Ya people test it if you want i did yust not have the time to work it any more now untill last entrie date.
and let me know wath you think of it?
I have used the return to phobos source for this with darin snow from weridox entertainments permission.
and he helped me alot thanks darin.
the download is about 7.5 mb

Wannabe coder?
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 13:45
It seams like no one downloaded it or the game did t work?
I know its really buggy but iam an newbie as iam actually an texture artist.
ok then?
and in later releases is there going to be another alien thats why i did t do to much work on the supplied alien from tgc.
as i can do a tiny bit of modelling to.

Wannabe coder?
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 17:04 Edited at: 12th Jan 2004 17:59
no answers anything?

1GHZ AMD ATHLON WITH AN GEFORCE 4 TITANIUM 4600 AND 512 MB SDRAM.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 17:21
i'm sorry i didn't play this sooner! its a great game! the menu screen is so cool and it all plays really nicely well done mate!

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2003 18:32
Pretty good fun actually.

Looks good - nice detailed textures, good use of transparent planes to create fake lights, the AI works pretty well - and I didn't find any major bugs. The way that "Hit" messages appear above the alien when you should them is a neat touch. The health-bar HUD is neat as well.

Its nice to see a game that uses a high resolution for a change - Unfortunately the DBP developers have this godawful idea that people will like 640x480 stretched to fill the screen, resulting in nasty blurry graphics.

I like the menu graphics especially.

Some important points though:

1 - The ability to use W,A,S,D keys instead of the arrowkeys would be much preferred. The arrowkeys are too close to the mouse to be comfortable. Also, the middle mouse btn + Up Arrow to open doors is a rather awkward - plus what happens if the user's mouse only has two buttons? The E key would be better.

2 - Your gun fires pretty slowly, I realise this may impact the difficulty, but I think it should fire faster.

3 - Everywhere looks so samey, its easy to get lost. I don't know how you are generating your levels, but it would be nice if there were a bit more variation on either the lighting or the textures around the level.

BlueGUI Plugin:http://blue.robert-knight.net / BlueIDE http://blueide.sf.net-Free Replacement editor for DBPro
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 16:23
thanks for the input.
iam planning to in later stages to make an options section where you can assign for your self wich keys you want to control the player with.
and some other settings.
i know about the gun but darkbasic is somehow slow in some ways as the whole game slows down if the fire rate is to high?
iam planning to work more on the game engine to make it faster and the level editor better with more functions.
iam actually using your freeware plugin for the menues in the editor rob k .
the level editor is only an editor where you place out cubes that you scale the textures on to get the appearance of walls and so on them.
planning to improve it later.
i did yust not get the time to make the level more detailed it s pretty raw now with out any details but in later versions will i improve it as the large room with the big windows is planned to be an control center for the transport ships with many large computers and stuff.
the game engine will be much like the old doom games kill all enemys and the exit section where there will be an button will take you to the next level.
iam currently only using the ambient light did yust not get the lights to work properly?
the cubes lit up strangely?
and using the fog to get the apperance of darkness in front of you.
this is wath i did get the time to do under 4 months when i was learning darkbasic pro and iam still an really bad programmer.
hopefully will i think its fun to do the rest on this game as iam doing it for fun.

Wannabe coder?
Tasik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 06:00
It was really cool. I was wondering how many lines of source code was it?

Just wondering thanks in advance

There will always be some one a little bit faster, a little bit smarter, a little bit stronger, that some one is me =)
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 13:13
It's pretty good, like robk I think it needs to use wasd for movement.

Also you should post a screenshot as then more people will download it.

dbpro : 2ghz p4m : 512mb : geforce 4 4200 go
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 13:55
thanks everyone.
the engine code is about 1001 lines but with alot of rem statements and spaces betwen sections for the ease to update the code.
the editor is almost the same just little more code.
ok winch lets trye it here is some screenies.
in compressed form.

Wannabe coder?
Supremacy
Years of Service
User Offline
ei Cliff i need a texturer like you to the Pacifica City DEALER project, the game was great, i myself wonted to participate but i only new of the competition some ays ago

do you wont to be part of MustraDev productions team ? go see the forum in the request team forum

I will make urban chaos 2, ive already concepted the story, its my dream, i wont to go to muky foot
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 14:45
O i almost forgott here is an screen of the editor it just looks crappy did t have the time to work on it ease of use yet but iam going to work mostly on the editor now for a while.

Wannabe coder?
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 16:40
I wonder if anyone of you had any speed problems?
with the game as i noticed that i got strange fps drawbacks.
that i have managed to fix a little.
i made probably an common newbie fault by giving the objects in the main loop to long names like the enemy did i call object enemy and so on.
i have now renamed many of it to shorter names like enemy to en and gained about 3 to 5 fps in speed.
iam using the same location and name so if anyone of you that had problems before with the speed could you please now test it and let me know your fps and system you are using.
sooo please download again.
i nead to know if i should keep on doing this to all objects in the game.

Wannabe coder?
GenTekZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 17:46
Hey. im new to DarkBASIC but that editor you showed earlier looks cool. How did you get it? please tell me. Thanks
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 18:09
The whole game is built around darin snows 20 liner entry called return to phobos.
I have modified that code with the help from xeridox software or actually darin there that made it.
he included the editor for return to phobos in that zip file.
i have only added a few functions and made it more user friendly.
it was some great code to use to learn more about dbp.
i made about 12000 mistakes when i started but that code helped me alot to learn to program in dbp.
so check the 20 liner section in the forum and download it.
he actually won that month with this contribution.
iam actually planning to release my editor and game engine in an later stage as an royalty free game engine for all dbp users to use.
if nothing changes.
but iam not ready to release it yet to much left to do for me there.

Wannabe coder?
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 18:13 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 18:16
Iam planning to make the editor and engine to be like an simple fps game engine for dummies like me or are i yust lazy.
that means as easy as possible to use and modifie without to much reading and other crapp.
ok iam yust lazy.
Like now do you when you want an door so do you yust place the door texture on an object and oops its an door and do you want fancy glas yust place that texture on an object and so on.
i want it to be so that you can in yust a couple of hours start on your game with your first map.

Wannabe coder?
GenTekZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 18:14
Can it run in DarkBASIC Classic?
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 18:18
Hmmm i dont know about my code but return to phobos should?
i bought dbp after i used the alienware version for 3 months i yust got hooked on this with programming.

Wannabe coder?
GenTekZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 18:21 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 18:23
Ok cool. I would like to use that program so if you could post a link to the place you got it. I probably should use the return to phobos... since it works in DBC or if you can let me use urs that will be great. Im just starting out so i need somthing easy to help me with. Thanks
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 18:28
ok here is the link but sadly so did i read there that it only runs in dbp

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=15391&b=11

i recomend you to buy dbp its great for someone who never have programmed before to learn with like me.

Wannabe coder?
GenTekZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 18:30
Thanks a lot. IM going to get this and hopefully try to work somthing out (but i doubt that) and in the future when i do get DBP i will use this. Thanks a ton
GenTekZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 18:36
i cant get it for some reason. His web page he posted doesnt seem to be active. If you could please link the file directly through here. That would be great. Sorry for all the trouble.
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 20:06 Edited at: 4th Jan 2004 00:03
ok i noticed it so here is the files on my space
but dont forget to credit darin if you use it

http://w1.414.telia.com/~u41404878/Phobos.zip

trye it now fixed the link now forgot an big letter in the beginning

Wannabe coder?
GenTekZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 23:22
doesnt work. the link that is. please try and get me the file. i really need a jump start on programing. maybe instead of posting it on another web page you can link the file directly through here. by the way you game is really cool. but how do i open doors? lol. im stuck at the begining
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 00:07 Edited at: 4th Jan 2004 00:25
its my own editor?
iam planning to release it and my engine code when i have finished it.
so be patient.
nice that you all liked it as i havent bin doing it even 40 % yet.
dosent even have save or open dialogs like other win prgs yet havent learned that yet.
all controls for the game is explained in the included text file.
up key forward
down key backwards
left key strafe left
right key strafe right
mb 1 fire
open door up key and middle button on mouse

Wannabe coder?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 09:08
dude... the graphics look sweet
plays pretty good too, wouldn't mind seeing you develop this further after the comp

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 12:17 Edited at: 4th Jan 2004 12:18
[Edited]
By the way : astonishing game

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 14:47
thanks everyone.
But i have large problems with the game speed so i dont know how well it will go as i want each map to have at least 25-30 enemys without slowdowns.
but the engine code gets awfully slow already with 20 enemys.
iam searching the forums to find a faster sliding collision or memory handeling to increase the speed right now.

Wannabe coder?
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 16:44
ok here is another update.
file size 7 mb i decreased it with about 5oo kb.
with the help of rob k x to dbo convertor.
http://w1.414.telia.com/~u41404878/Grunt.zip
the fixes are these
fixed stability.
better game performance.
the game now runs almost all the time att full performance.
instead as before sometimes down under 24 fps now does it run almost every time at about 27 to 33 fps never under that.
with no slowdowns.
and still with 20 enemys att the same time on map.
going to work more on it untill it can handle about 25 enemys on the same map at the same speed.
fixed the speed it deletes the 3d when you have died or quiting to menue to about 20% shorter.

thhings left to do w a s d to control the player option.
better door function and to fix the crappy door collision.
sometimes does the player lose its colision on the door.
and the bullets goes thru the doors now.
and the keys to open the door to better keys.
and a whole lot of other things.

does anyone know why the db p programs runs so slow if you restart them almost directly after you have exited them.
mine does?
should i add some type of memory clearing function before exiting?

and please state wath system you are playing the game on when posting so that i know.

Wannabe coder?
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 03:37
I wish I had noticed this sooner! Downloading now...

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 03:56
Ok, I downloaded it. It was a pretty bad idea of you to call your own game terrible so early on, that's why most people didn't download it. If the creator himself hates the game, then why spend our time on it?

Anyway, it's a great game. The level is pretty environmental, which is a good thing. The music is great too, and so is the menu screen. The only thing that bugs me is the perfect aim of every alien, so that you're bound to die if you meet more than five of them.

Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 17:59
It was more that no one even responded to the game so i thought that maybe it was so bad that no one answered?
but iam going to edit that now.
iam going to work the ai more in an later stage are currently working on the game speed so that it dosent slow down to much during game play when there is many enemys on the same map.
and are also going to work more on the level detail its really rough right now.
have worked the engine code to support about 900 cubes on the same map from 800 before so that you have about an extra hundred when making the map for detail stuff an cool decals.
thanks for the input raven.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 19:55
I have a laptop pc that has no middle button. So how the hell do I open the doors???

Boo!
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
Haha. Just push real hard between the 2 buttons!
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 00:25
oh sorry havent changed that yet.
i was planning to do an better key press routine later but i will trye to upload an fixed version tomorrow with up key and return to open doors is that ok.
its my current crappy version for the doors as the player have to collide with the door and pressing the open key thats why you have to press the up key also when you wants to open the door.
keep your eyes up tomorrow so will i make an small post here after yours if i have had the time to fix it bye tomorrow.
sorry dude for it.

Umpalumpa
Years of Service
User Offline
wats the right ouse button used for cant u use that
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 00:36
iam planning to use the right mose button for jumping my current routine was to crappy so i removed it before the competition.

Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2004 20:08
ok the next update of the game is delayed as iam rewriting alot of the code.
including alot of the requests i have got about control keys and the doors and stuff.
the doors have i totally redone with new code so now will you only have to be near the door and pressing the open key to open it.
and the door will not close untill you are at an certan distance to it and not timed as before.
the old code neaded you to collide with it to be able to open it.
increased the fire rate with no performance slowdowns actually increased the overall performance of the game.
it runs almost all the time around 32-33 fps as i have locked the sync rate to 30.
so the game should run at full speed on most computers now.
oh hell that i learned so much after the competition as the game i entered was buggy and slow.
working on a bunch of other stuff like w,a,s,d for movement and more fun stuff.
cheers

Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Scrap Mechanic
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 14:13
I will download and play later, screens look very impressive...

Return to Phobos is being updated with some math code to help it run the same speed on everyone's computer. The name has also changed to Omicron Alpha, and I'll be releasing it soon, with the source code. I don't know if I'll re-release the editor or not. I've recoded a big part of it to include menus (old keyboard short-cuts still included) and added Dark Realm 3 map support.

I love those textures and lights you have there Cliff, looks like some very nice work. Like I said, I'll be back here later to get that download.

Cheers to all,

Darin Snow
Xeridox Entertainment Group
Please visit our website for regular updates!
Xeridox
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Scrap Mechanic
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 19:39
OK played it now, very impressive!
Yeah I agree on the gun should fire a little faster, as well as the player walks a bit slow, but that could be due to my slow P2 266 (P meaning Prehistoric lol).

I also noticed something that I've had the same problem with using the Phobos engine, the enemies can shoot through thin materials, such as the doors in your version, Cliff. The Omicron engine will have this fixed.

After I finish Omicron Alpha and release it, I'm going to start on a new world and collision engine that will be the basis for my next title, Phenom. I'm also upping the resolution of my games, as I now see the err of my ways lol.

Later,

Darin Snow
Xeridox Entertainment Group
Please visit our website for regular updates!
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2004 01:54
Quote: "the enemies can shoot through thin materials"

are you uesing a inpact COLLISION, becos if you are bullets will all ways go through materials thiner then it speed. you real need a line COLLISION to do bullets.

--Dr 0--

Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2004 00:35
sounds great xeridox.
thanks ocult.
Iam currently thinking about maybe put grunt on an hold until i get better with dbp and make an simplier but more toon like game.
i am thinking about maybe making an cartoon like fps game with pretty simple levels but with alot of action?
grunt was my first attempt with programming so its a bit cluttered up.
feels like i want to start over and make an cleaner code.
the grunt levels are yust to much work as iam not an mapper.
if i want grunt the way i planned it.

Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 19:01
i will continou the grunt thread now in the work in progress section in the forum.
as iam reworking it alot now so i cant have it here in the finished part of the forum.
som go there and have an peek at my brand new enemy model as i cant have the alien ware model still.

stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 19:57
i can't wait to i start learning code. jsut looking at this game makes me desperate to start.

http://stann.tk
(its a work in progress)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 21:44:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 21:44:38