Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK for Python

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2024 20:28
Good evening a couple of years ago I looked at this and thought this looks far too complicated . I took another look a couple of weeks ago and this time I decided to put in some effort. Glad I did as once I realized what all the under scores were for it was just like regular AGK. I would like to use Python as a stepping stone for Mojo and I'm hoping AppGameKit will work with Mojo as python does. We'll see I suppose. Print_value_screenFPS does not appear to work but so far everything else does .
Any advice or input appreciated . Enjoy your evening.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2024 04:15
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2024 10:51

Hey Adam it is the screenFPS that I can not get to work. I have played with the code a fair bit so . with the screenfps line removed It did run .
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2024 10:55
This is the way I intend to continue. could you please point me in the right direction.
Thanks for reading .
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2024 13:13 Edited at: 20th Feb 2024 13:54
Hi Adam really enjoying using AppGameKit with python. The only thing I don't like is there is no goto officially . But apparently it can be done. I've tried a few things to cure this and am still looking at it. Thanks Adam .

the code above does do what it says on the tin and works great. screen fps works fine it was my mistake.

I get paid in a couple of weeks and I will make a donation then.

Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2024 13:46
Hey Adam it is now working .

This is great thanks.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2024 01:07
Good evening . How do I write a program in Python with AppGameKit . I've had some good results so far but I don't understand how to use it without the goto command .
I guess I'm gonna have to do some serious reading . Something I have noticed is Python with AppGameKit is faster than I thought it would be. The last time I tried to use python was on a very rubbish laptop without AppGameKit and it was the fact it was just not a powerful enough computer to run things properly ( HP Stream ) . Does anybody know which is faster AppGameKit tier 1 or AppGameKit for python ? With mojo just around the corner I think this is the way to go . I'm still using tier 1 AppGameKit but my next project will be Python / AppGameKit . If I can work out how to program without goto . I can make a loop which is good . I figure that a way to do this is make everything a function and then call each one as needed , sort of gosub return. Thanks for reading and any input or advice appreciated.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2024 14:50
You found the problem before I logged in again. Yes, it was the "str ScreenFPS()" part. It can also be: agk.print_value(f"FPS = {agk.screen_fps()}")

The speed comparison between tier 1 and AppGameKit for Python is very close.

Bear in mind that AppGameKit for Python has some limitations at the moment:
* doesn't run on Android, iOS, or Mac
* distribution is limited on Linux.
PyInstaller can be used to make standalone Windows executables, though.

In the future, discussions specific to AppGameKit for Python might be better done at itch.io.

A lot of the code you have in your loop should be outside of your loop:

No need to delete jump1 and recreate it. The rest of these lines are set up code that can be above the while loop. That would go for the Tier 1 code as well.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2024 12:31
I think switching to Python from Tier 1 is gonna be pretty seamless. When I first looked at this a couple of years ago I thought it would be too difficult but it is really nice to work with and knowing AppGameKit is a major step up from the start.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2024 08:07
Yes I see as in limitations. Still very nice.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2024 11:43
I'll take a look at pyinstaller shortly and we'll see what happens. Of coarse there is tier 2 but I don't want to go down that path. At the moment I'm trying to get into Python as a stepping stone for Mojo and I am hoping AppGameKit Python will work.
Cloud Walker
User Offline
Adam, how could I export games as an apk i made with AppGameKit for Python?
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2024 03:08
There is currently no way to export for Android with AppGameKit for Python.
I would like to find one, but haven't yet.
Cloud Walker
User Offline
How about as an executable file for Windows? Do you have tutorials for It?
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2024 14:39
Look at "appgamekit-pyinstaller-spec-example.zip" at https://fascimania.itch.io/appgamekit-for-python.
It uses PyInstaller to create an folder with all of the files for distributing on Windows, including an EXE.
Cloud Walker
User Offline
Hey, any updates in appgamekit with Python? And for instance, can i use machine learning with this?
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2024 03:42
Last I checked the AppGameKit repo was being rebuilt and I would have to adapt my build process to accommodate it. There weren't any changes to AppGameKit lately that would have affected the Python version.
I haven't done anything with machine learning and this project.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 19:29:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 19:29:25