Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Operation Invasion Evasion

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 22:04
Hi all,

Haven't got a download location yet, so I thought I'd post some screenies. Gameplay is very similar to Cannon Fodder, sorta easy to play RTS with arcade elements.

Van-B

Next time he runs past, GRAB HIM!
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 23:32
yep, you win, I said it 3 months ago and I say it now, you win.

http://www.dbspot.com/ - free webhosting (UNDER CONSTRUCTION)
Don't forget to listen to the unofficial DB streaming radio station: http://jimmykicks.ath.cx:8000
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 23:34
Oh my god. Yup. Sorry everyone else. Van B wins instantly.

You know I was saying back when the compo started, 'We can all try but it'll be someone like Van-B, who dosen't waste much time on forums or IRC, who will win the end.' And many other people agreed. And here it is. You win.

It looks fantastic .

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 23:38
Darn, I would've posted sooner, but something was messed up with the forums.

This is a stunning game right here. Van, you certainly know what you're doing when it comes to Dark Basic. Nicely done environments, love the menu screen , and it's brought back some memories of cannon fodder for me.

A definite top entry.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks nice. Cant wait to play this one.

The statement below is true
The statement above is false
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 00:06
makes my entry look like some fruity dance competition

http://www.dbspot.com/ - free webhosting (UNDER CONSTRUCTION)
Don't forget to listen to the unofficial DB streaming radio station: http://jimmykicks.ath.cx:8000
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 00:48
Thanks guys!

I used a lot of the names people suggested, when a dude dies, the next level he'll be replaced by a rookie with just a hand gun - so look after them or you lose the cool weapons .

Van-B

Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 01:45
this is the ownle game i`v seen so far that look like it will play as good as it look.

it just looks cool

Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 02:48
It looks great and i loved cannon fooder on my old amiga.
ok my own game looks more and more to be at the bottom at this competition.
but i have also only bin programing for 4 months.

Wannabe coder?
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 10:39
Quote: " makes my entry look like some fruity dance competition"

makes my entry look like a dodgy pong remake!

that looks mega-nice!

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Philip 1337
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 12:33
Looks really good hope you win!

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
yeh- fairplay u dont better than us

www.tinnedhead.tk watch this space for the first ever calculator to show the working out. also look out for our first game- ww.exor-mk1.tk
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
done*
and us= me n my workmate

www.tinnedhead.tk watch this space for the first ever calculator to show the working out. also look out for our first game- ww.exor-mk1.tk
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 03:07
Thanks, hope it does'nt disappoint.

Big thanks to Las6 for the webspace .

Here's that download link:
http://www.uusikaupunki.fi/~lasuope/OIE.zip

Van-B

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 09:04
hehee knew it'd be a strong contender... just downloaded it and i love it ^_^ really takes me back.
good luck mate

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine!
900mhz|256mb|FX5200Ti 52.16|Dx9|WXP-Pro
Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 21:11 Edited at: 4th Jan 2004 21:12
"Bitmap does not exist at line 3294" when loading "Frosted Flakes" . Apart from that it's really great .

How much ham could a hamster stir, if a hamster could stir ham?
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW! I just blew about an hour on it!

Only one con that I noticed: When you're guys are all loaded up in the jeep, I can't seem to find a way to unload them. Another problem consisted of having one guy to get back on the jeep when the others are in AND he's being chased by a phaser wielding alien.

Everything else was amazing.

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 00:08
Q: how did you do the landscape? it looks awesome!

Sparring - Loved by many, Pefected by few.
I'm going to live forever, or DIE IN THE ATTEMPT!!!"
>>>>> Check out my alienwhere progress in the W.I.P folder! <<<<
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 04:09
Thanks - glad you like it. I have no idea why it can't load that bitmap, because Frosted Flakes is not the first snow level. I'll look into it, there are a few bugs.

You should all read the readme - to exit the jeep you have to select your men then press CONTROL and click a destination.

The landscape is basically a memblock matrice, with offset texture coordinates and a really cheap and chearful vertex lightmap. I'm never using matrices again, except in level editors, memblocks are the way to go. Kevil added some great snippets to the codebase, you should check them out.

Van-B

Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 04:18
Hmmm i dont know wath to type?
First i dont think this will be the winner.
because of this.
the alien they are really stupid they get stuck every where and you almost have to shoot them untill they attack.
and if you shoot an alien that stands besides another so will the other one not notice it yust walk on like its raining.
they always keep on getting stuck on the river beds and the canyon.
the biggest weaknes of the game is the alien ai.
as there wasent many buggs in it more then some gfx stuff like the gunflash didt go away after fiering sometimes and dbs blue background showed it self from time to time.
dont take me wrong i loved it the grafix are yust great and the design at all was great.
then the other weaknes was the gameplay speed?
why do they walk so slowly?
the run speed was better,why not make them run all the time.
as this game with some better speed and alien ai is an really great game.
why the clumsy camera control?
and i really missed an alien counter so that you know how many there is left?
if you tweak the game some more so should you probably make it to an comercial as its really lovely little game.
and it looks great.
I hope you take my critics right as i loved the game actually.
cannon fooder was one of my favourites on the amiga.

Wannabe coder?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 12:20
I am looking into a lot of the critiques and decided how best to change it, I plan to release a new version in a couple of weeks. The main problem with the AI is the lack of a pathfinding system, all it has is really just sliding collision, so I'll probably look into keeping the enemies moving more. They don't really get stuck, well they get stuck but they're only trying to get to you most of the time, if you run past them they often start chasing you again. I honestly did'nt notice the aliens getting stuck too often, maybe it's just the way I play it.

I will look into ways to improve the AI, but I don't know yet if that would make the game too difficult, I mean picking them off at a distance is always the best way to kill them, and having 6 or 7 aliens run after 1 dude with a sniper rifle would be a nightmare. I might make it so that an alien will ask for backup from a couple of surrounding aliens.

I use a 3D mouse system instead of pick screen, so the camera angle has to stay constant, raising and lowering and rotating the camera is pretty much set in stone, I don't see any way to improve that and maintain the RTS style.

I doubt I'd change the pace of the game, I like the feel of it as it is - the aliens and humans walk at the same speed, I reckon that making them faster would just make the game easier. The pace is set to keep it strategic and not too arcadey, if there was only 1 guy to control I'd have probably made it all out arcade.

I've never seen the machine gun flash bug or any blue screen at all, in fact it uses the secret transparency flag, so it should blend everything into the terrain. So as far as fixing those, I doubt I'll be able to do much.

I can see an unknown game winning again, there's like 50 entries and about 20 showcase posts, so that leaves about 30 entries we still haven't set eyes on!. Roswell Racer is a huge contender, but I would'nt be surprised if Rich finds every bug in that and OIE and promply sticks us on the 'If Only' pile.

Van-B

Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 16:46
Wow - super game!

From programmer to programmer, let me tell you the things that really impressed me:

Beautiful dusty trail animations
Swimming Fish (VERY NICE TOUCH!!!)
Beautifully textured buildings and landscapes. You are a pro indeed!
The army men were beautifully textured.
The fence! How in the world did you make that awesome beautiful fence??? It's not a solid object - and I can see through all of those holes...
Animated Transparent Water

Color me impressed! Your hard work definitely paid off!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 16:59
Thanks!.

The fence is just a transparent texture - BUT - set object transparency Obj,2 - the ,2 will set it to blend into tbe background much better.

Van-B

Van-B

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 18:32
Hmm, after pressing OK on the setup screen, it shows a message saying "Cannot load sound at line 462".

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?

Athelon XP 1600 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 18:45
Slow downloading ... looking forward to playing this...

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 19:31
I'm working on most of the bugs (the ones I can reasonably fix at least) and some gameplay ideas (like not having to use the RETURN key so much and sticky pathfinding) - should have a patch to combat the sound bugs tonight or tommorow.

Van-B

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 19:37
If you want some spare space - I can stick it on my web site, if you like.

The place for all great plug-ins
2 x XP3000+, 1Gb RAM, nVidia FX5600. 1 Draytec Router and me.
xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 21:27
Cool game. Only after downloading and having a quick bash. Here are some quick things that have come to mind on first play.

I'd like if there was a double click action that made your guys run instead of walk. Even if it's just slightly quicker. - ok just read the readme again double clicking would be nice and more intuitive though.

I don't know if the free roaming camera is a good thing. I think it should be forced to stay in proximity of your guys so they never leave your view. Would make exploring the level with your men more interesting. Of course you'd have to avoid players getting totaly lost and frustrated. Maybe a radar or map could always be added to indicate alien positions.

I don't really like the way the guns fire puffs of smoke accross the screen. Some tracer effects or more solid looking bullets would be more satisfying.

Doesn't seem to be a way of telling if your guys are injured or not. Some visisible aid on the men would be good. Perhaps you could have them leaning over and walk slower draging their gun for example. More animation work I know

Anyway it's a great game, will now get back and try to complete some levels. Good luck in the compo.
xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 21:55
After playing some more, got to level 3. I really like the animations on the guys, they look cool running about. Also had a laugh in the jeep although it could do with an engine sound effect. Some in game music would be nice too.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 07:31
Van B- perhaps a hotkey for selecting/unselecting each of the guys would make the game more fluid... for example, a small icon with character information along the top of the screen, showing their health,weapon, and whether they are selected. then you could press `1` , `2` etc to select/unselect the guys. changing weapons would require some more thought though....

fantastic game by the way!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 06:51
@Van B

Not only is this is an amazing demonstration of good coding and graphics but, even more importantly, its a really great game! You should be very proud! I'm showing the game to a lot of my friends as a demonstration of what DB Pro is capable of!

Incidentally, your loading system caused me a few difficulties. Like a complete noob I stupidly tried to set the graphics to 800 x 600 at 24m colours (duuuh). That understandably meant the game wouldn't start at all until I did a complete reinstall. In future you may want to include some code to stop a stupid player from trying to have an impossible GFX setting.

Cheers and really well done!

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 10:56
Thanks, glad you guys like it.

I am debugging it still, and I'm gonna be redoing the options screen because I want more sound options and startup options. I've improved the jeep collision detection a great deal.

Xtom,
I got rid of the bullet puffs yesterday and added tracer bullets instead and it looks much better, thanks for the suggestions .
Double clicking the destination to run is something I considered, but I never actually got around to it, I will do though.

Philip,
I will look into that, I actually did the same thing - you can load the settings file into notepad and hack it to whatever you like, but it will be fixed on the next release.

Walaber,
I'm putting code in place to reduce the need to use the return key so much - there will be a deselect all key, then you'll be able to drag a selection box around your guy(s) to select them. I'm not sure which key will be to deselect though, perhaps backspace is a good binding (you will be able to redefine your keys).

Everyone,
Thanks for all your ideas and comments, I'm looking into getting more/better sound effects and in-game music, and also things like an on screen health and selected display. My plan is to release a bespoke patch tonight with more options to help with debugging, this is really just for people who haven't been able to play the game due to those strange sound bugs (strange insofar as they should work ). The updated version will have more levels, and hopefully a better pathfinding method.
The jeep handling is a lot better now, trees and buildings are no longer considered terrain - the jeep bounces back and rolls back from steep areas.

Saving progress is also high on the agenda, the code was always in place, but I left it out because it would be a really short game if you only played each level once - the update will probably have another 2 sets (8 levels, 2 themes) so a mission select and progress save system is more justified now.

In regards to the competition, I don't think the judges will warm to this as much as they will to Roomwar or Roswell Racers, those games just ooze professionalism and the gameplay is much more hands-on. The scary thing is that there's most definately some amazing entries we haven't seen yet , placing in the top ten this time around is a major achievement IMO.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 06:19
holy crap van-b you shoulda told me that was your project that you were working on! That looks totally awesome, cant wait for a download . I'm still doin graphics for syndicate, but engine wise nothin, though we could modify this new engine to make it

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 10:40
robx, there alreay is a download, you just had to read the whole thread
http://www.uusikaupunki.fi/~lasuope/OIE.zip

Do it now!!!
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 18:02
I got an error!!!! I can't beilve it I wanna play this game! It was:

The dynamic link library d3d9.dll could not be found in its specified path.

Followed by the OIE path and another one but I don't know what it was for...

Please tell me how to sort this out! I don't want to have to download this on my 56k at home (im at my aunts) she's running win2000 pro if thats any help.

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 20:19
she doesn't have directx 9,0b then its quite a big download too but you'l need it to run the majority of games in the compo

Do it now!!!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 21:00
Yeah, patch 5+ uses DX9 - because your on 56k, your probably best just to get a magazine with it on the coverdisk.

Uberwigger,
I was thinking that, a similar system but a bigger map. We could still use sprites for the characters, we'd just use plains.

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 09:16 Edited at: 11th Jan 2004 09:38
thanks red eye, i dont read big posts after super screen shots like that.

and van b i just downloaded the game, will edit after i run it. but yeah changing the graphics to plains would work. anyway get this done first and send me your old pc when you win

edit: just played the game, HOLY CRAP THIS COULD BE RELEASED AND SOLD FOR MONEY VAN B!, not many db games can have trhe same said i guess they own the rights to the alien but, hmm maybe if we drew our own syndicate style graphics you could release it damn good game, but the level where you got the pool in teh fenced area and all teh aliens spawn from that thing, how do you win :S

Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 11:39
hello,
I have download the game but I all the time have the same error message : could not load the sound at line 462

I will like much to test your game because the screen shot are really beautiful !!!

what to make?

@++
Captain-Ouais !!
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 15:43
OMG!! This is really cool (d/led dx9 my aunt has broadband so it wasn't a problem) the only thing I think it's missing is some cheesey catchphrases like "Come back here you yellow bellyed coward... Oh wait...."

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 19:44 Edited at: 11th Jan 2004 19:45
wow... now that's one helluva game, reminded me of commandos . i didn't really play for long but within the little time i played for i saw a lot! hope you do well result-wise...

man i wish i had the time to complete/submit my entry, would have liked to see how my game measured up to these great games

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 21:38
I loved the fish.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 21:45
Quote: "could not load the sound at line 462"

Latest drivers, DX9.0b etc etc and run DXDiag

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 10:19
Thanks, glad you liked it.

Uberwigget,
Just lob a grenade or fire a rocket at the regenerator pod to destroy it.

Van-B

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 12:26
Do you still want a site for downloads ?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 14:02
Nah, it's cool (thanks a lot for offering though) - less than 2 weeks till Rich uploads the entries anyway, the next upload will be a patch so I'll probably be changing the main download tonight to include that (people who have downloaded already need only download the patch). I've been delayed a bit by some weird bugs that crept in - but I'll probably be uploading a patch .exe tonight. The jeep handles a lot better, you don't have to use the return key so much, the bullets have tracer particles now etc etc - mainly gameplay glitches really.

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 10:12
cool, there were a few glitches i saw in teh game, but overall totally awesome, i cant wait to mod it syndicate style

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2004 10:56
Yeah, I'm thinking that a raised pavement system would be cool, and insertable buildings. I don't think building internals are a good idea for the syndicate game, I reckon a traditional 2D image with a menu system for each shop would be sensible - maybe a bit like 'Legend of the Green Dragon' but with a nice UI and obviously more weapons. I think dark and gothic with bright neon lights would be a good look, it's pretty easy to get neon lights looking good so it'll probably look a bit like Syndicate Wars. I'll email you sometime this weekend to go over a few things before I start with the engine, but if you can start thinking about shop images, fonts, item types, combat system etc. I can't really see this taking too long, most of the engine is fine now, multiplayer will be the toughest part.

There are several glitches, but a lot of them have been ironed out already, just about to extend the options to help with debugging then I'll be uploading a new version. One really cool thing now is the bullets are visible, you can practically see the bullet hit the alien and spark as it hits it's armour.

Van-B

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2004 09:03
50!!

cool van b, will start moddin some pictures to make a syndicate style shopfront. and prolly some textures for neon signs, i assume you'd make them jsut a textured plain, or will you model the tubing?
anyway good luck with the compo. If you don't win i will cut them with my cutlass. Yeah multiplayer will prolly be a bit of a bugger to get going. but i was thinking maybe each player has 4 characters to control, makign it rather like syndicate (wait are we talkin my idea for massive multiplayer or syndicate remake cause either way.) anyway carry on.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 18:44:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 18:44:11