Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Soul Defender final alienware compo build

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 08:56 Edited at: 5th Jan 2004 09:48
http://www.valorquest.com/souldefender098.zip for the download. UPDATE- This was version 0.97. I've fixed some things for 0.98.

As I posted in another thread, here is a sample screen:

And here is a new screen:

Tried to polish it up as best I could at the last minute. After working sparingly on this for the better part of 6 months, I'm still convinced its not good enough. Any comments welcome.

I have a sign beside my door-hinge, that says nothing rhymes with orange.

Soul Defender: 95% 3d Solar System Simulator: 75% GodMode RPG: 5%
Philip 1337
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 12:24 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 12:24
whats the aim of the game?

Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 17:05
I really like the screen shot you posted above. Those rocks closest to the camera are red - very impressive! The textures are very smooth, and the sky is beautiful. And the boulders in the lava are nicely done.

From the screen shots it looks like a very good game to me!
Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 02:27 Edited at: 4th Jan 2004 02:28
@G Bros - The aim is to reach level 12 or higher. At this point you can jump high enough to escape through the portal. You can try to see how many souls, or how much energy, you can escape with. Right now its pretty self-goal oriented because of a lack of a high scores system. I never did figure out how to implement a simple high scores routine. If I won a new Alienware computer I would surely be able to implement such things haha

@TobyQuan - Thanks!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2004 23:40
I kept falling off the bloddy map. And where are you getting shot from? Gfx look nice though.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 01:24
I tried to cheat and stand at the other side of the lava lake...realised you get shot from the cloud above

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2004 06:14
Haha, that's clever but they are meteors that fly through the little bubble of space you are stuck in. Generally, they seem to know where you are and crash down in your face

mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 17:09
ggod fun, but you have to shoot them in the head, i fell of because i was backing away and fell off after shooting 5 rounds into the alien's body lol

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon thoroughbred 2200, 512Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 12:22
Anyone else want to try it?

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 16:43
I've played v0.98 about 5 or 6 times. I even managed to complete the game thanks to finally succumbing to weakness and using the "enter" respawn option after you die. Before I get to a small bug report and my overall views and opinions I am left with two nagging questions:

1. what on earth is a Deldayan rank of Aa'nsai?

2. who precisely is Sarah?

That brings me to my bug report. It’s a very trivial one. On level 12 I respawned once in mid air actually slightly above the top of the vortex. Then I died because my energy ran out. I respawned myself again and this time everything was fine as I was standing on the ground.

Overall I like this game a lot. I recommend everyone to play it. Its off-beat, imaginative and most entertaining. The remarks that are displayed (in an interesting font) on the completion of each level are intriguing. The music is good and suits the game perfectly. Towards the latter levels skill really becomes important because of the speed the pulsating white things (souls?) travel at and the increasing frequency of the asteroids. The menu and presentation are very polished. There are nice little touches like the little green alien guy in the left hand corner moving when you get a soul. The controls are very responsive.

I only have a couple of gripes. First, the asteroids seem to be unerringly accurate throughout the game. It may in fact be better if they begin relatively inaccurate and become increasingly accurate as the game progresses.

Secondly, the red alien chap. He seems to stick to you like glue throughout the game. I appreciate that during the later levels you almost have to ignore him and focus on the souls as otherwise you will lose more points than you are gaining. However, before I discovered that he scared the *** out of me and I spent a lot of my time misguidedly trying to get rid of him. In the earlier levels I'd like to suggest he ought to move a bit slower so that you can actually stay further away from him. Otherwise no change to him please - I've had a couple of moments where, rather weirdly, I've found myself standing on his head! Most entertaining.

Thirdly, I wish there was a noise that indicated when your Psi gun had recharged. Something like a "zzzUUURRRP!" noise as the bar on the left increased would be good.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 17:04
I found it really slow and repetitive but it looks amazing. Is there anything else I should be doing apart from clicking on the white balls?

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 17:15
@Chris

Its only a bit slow on the earlier levels. On the later levels it gets frantic.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 20:31
OK, I'll keep going

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2004 11:46
Sadly Guru has crapped [sic] this game. Its a damn shame because it was very promising. With a bit more work it could have certainly graced a cover disk on a major PC mag and made him famous. Oh well.

Philip

Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 09:46 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2004 09:50
Hey there, sorry I didn't see these comments earlier! THIS IS THE KIND OF FEEDBACK I WAS LOOKING FOR! THANK YOU!

Anyway, I can always go back to the game and redevelop it at any time. I had planned to stop development, thats what I meant by scrapped. Now I consider it "in limbo."

@philip
That is a leftover message from when I was going to include disinctions for outstanding performances in different categories. Time pressed, I had to drop (most of) it.

Sarah is my girlfriend. She lives with me, and has often become frustrated at the amount of time I spend tinkering with DarkBasic projects, but she still supports my will to do it.

I'll admit my game is different and really needs to be played all the way through in order to be appreciated (if at all). I don't know, in a way that might be genius. You are faced with the temptation to quit. You are challenged with escaping. Can you do it? Will you get bored? Frustrated? Etc? I don't know. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Soul Defender: Limbo Solar System Simulator: Limbo GodMode RPG: Limbo Mars Racer (tentative): 25%
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2004 14:10
I'm very glad that you are not scraping it entirely. I think it has much potential and, also, reflects well on your creative talents. So the amended status of "limbo" is heartening. In the meantime I shall await the Mars Racer game with some eagerness.

And continue work on my own little magnum opus of course...

Philip

Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2004 09:04 Edited at: 26th Jan 2004 09:07
I have begun a new project which will build from what I have learned in making Soul Defender.

GodMode RPG: 5%
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2004 13:33
Excellent!

I am guessing it might be called "God Mode"?

Philip

Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 05:52
Indeed

GodMode RPG: 5%
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 15:37
I am prescient.

Philip

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 21:53:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 21:53:13