Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / ROOMWAR - DOWNLOAD (alienware)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 17:45 Edited at: 7th Jan 2004 13:51
sorry for double post - my plan was to edit my old post with the screenshots.. i cant edit the post-subject - so there is a new post..

http://members.chello.at/exat77/roomwar.part1.rar
http://members.chello.at/exat78/roomwar.part2.rar
-11,0 megs total file size-
[EDIT]: mirror: http://www.shellshockede.com/roomwar.rar - thx to Froggermon [/EDIT]

-------------------------------------------------------------------
EXCESSIVE MOD: (place the file in the roomwar directory)
http://members.chello.at/exat78/roomwar_excessive.rar
(btw. needs good hardware - you will see why...
-------------------------------------------------------------------

2 files because each webspace is limited to 10 megs...
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 18:05
Get a Freewebs site.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 18:18
What can I say .

Superb graphics
Great gameplay
Impressive enemy A.I.

I'll be dissapointed if this doesn't get something, it's a definite potential winner.

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?

Athelon XP 1600 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 18:48
brilliant

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb

http://www.apollostudio.nl/
JeKu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 02:04
Good job! I've been waiting for this game to be released and it has lived up to my expectations I'm having a little bit of trouble successfully shooting down the enemy ships but I'm having a blast nonetheless!

- JeKu

-- http://www.automatongames.com --
-- http://www.jeku.com --
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 02:51 Edited at: 7th Jan 2004 03:05
Holy crap.

In fact, I like this game so much that if you email some screenshots to QuoteTheRavenX@aol.com , I will gladly upload them to my site so that you can post them here on the forums, free of charge, which will greatly increase downloads.

Well, we know who's won this contest. Excellent graphics, excellent running speed and stability, very adicting gameplay once you understand how it works, you can fly EVERYWHERE, which is 100% awesome...man this is a great game!

Hey, what did you use for the collision? Nuclearglory's DLL? And how did you lightmap the level? Is it .x or .3ds?

ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
This is the best game ever made in Darkbasic in my opinion. Period. Including at least Star Wraith 1&2 (never played 3).

I played it for over an hour. Very addictive. If you made the game "House War" I bet it could really sell.

Damn. Very nice.
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 04:32 Edited at: 7th Jan 2004 04:33
WOW
I hope this wins (well sorta)

Im gonna set up a mirror with it all in a single file

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 04:38
Whose room is it? Is that your room? If so, do you need a roommate?

Oh man, those graphics are killer! The collision was top notch. And what a good idea - to protect the Alienware computer!

I really liked how you faded from white to the Alienware logo in the beginning of the game. Most impressive! There's so much detail. It must have taken quite awhile to do!
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 04:42 Edited at: 7th Jan 2004 04:42
http://www.shellshockede.com/roomwar.rar

I died on level 5, what about you guys?
The only complaint I have (and this is minor) is the gameplay gets a little repetative. New environments would be nice. Of course this was made for a deadline.

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 04:49
Some screenies:

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 04:52 Edited at: 7th Jan 2004 04:55
Beautiful.

But unfortunately there isn't much hope for you winning, like I told you before the competition ended, you need to include the alien a LOT more. They were looking for good use of the alien model and you see it in your game for about 2 seconds once every 5 minutes. Sorry. This would have really been a winner if not for that. I don't doubt Rich will still give you a place, just I personally doubt it will be in the Top 3. I could be wrong though.

Also, some more levels, different weapons/powerups and an online Player vs Player mode would have definately made this game perfect. Speeding up the gameplay a tad would also have made it a bit more action-packed.

Like I said, it's an excellent game, but would have been even better with some of the suggestions I made.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
atair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 05:42 Edited at: 7th Jan 2004 05:55
(.. i just came home - are little(or more) drunken... and have math in 4 hours - at 9am... but i cant wait till tomorrow to answer all the questions ...) ..sorry for the spelling ....

@Jeku: try a different level - in "easy"mode its much easier to hit the enemys.. yes - and always select them before..

@QuothTheRaven: screenshots seem to work, yes i used nuclearglory dll (the old free one) and forgot to credit them (sorry guys - will change that fast) - will upload a new credit-screen (have to ask rich)
-Lightmap: the lightmap is under the texutre map - the texture map is an extruded modell of the room - with ghost shading on.. (revers order because of alpha problems)

@TobyQuan: parially my room - digicam and scanner the rest is modelled `from my mind` (sorry, no roommate

@Exeat: your are right - but how effective is it to see the aliens back? - e.g. playing the other entrys you see the aliens back all the time... you see my alien only on levelchange and death-anims.. but hey - the whole game takes place around the alienware pc.. best way to promote...

..only one level because of the filesize limitations and time of course - had very little time to balance it..
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 06:10 Edited at: 7th Jan 2004 06:21
Quote: "I died on level 5, what about you guys?"

Finished the game on Normal. Level 8 is the last level and I'm glad it is because I was thinking to myself, "this is getting a tad boring, I'm going to quit when I finish this level" and fortunately I see "The End" anyway lol. Also got the highest score: 2822606

Quote: "@Exeat: your are right - but how effective is it to see the aliens back? - e.g. playing the other entrys you see the aliens back all the time... you see my alien only on levelchange and death-anims.. but hey - the whole game takes place around the alienware pc.. best way to promote..."

I'm not sure how much the actual 'Alienware' logo accounts for and if it will be sufficient to replace the low amount of time the alien is on-screen but I believe you would need to show him more. The rules explicitly stated:

Quote: "To clarify, by "use of the Alien character" we mean that the Alien should play a vital role in your game. He cannot just "appear" at the start never to be seen again. The Alien should be the central character / adversary in one way or another. We will be looking for constructive use of the Alien. For example just having him watch the pieces fall in a Tetris game would not be considered as innovative as having him racing a UFO around a landscape. Be imaginative. "

In particular the second sentance: "He cannot just "appear" at the start never to be seen again" gave me the impression that the alien model had to make an appearance quite often and personally I don't think your game does that. Something as simple as putting him translucent on the GUI (with a yellow texture to make it fit, even) would've sufficed. You could have even used it instead of the 2D alien heads. Again, I can't speak for Rich but sadly I don't think it's used enough.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to do any harm to your chance of winning, I didn't even enter myself so I don't really have much to gain. I'm just trying to point out that you should probably pay a closer attention to the rules in the future.

Finally, I hope I am wrong because you have a truley stunning entry that deserves to win at least something.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 06:38 Edited at: 7th Jan 2004 06:41
I'm pretty sure that defending a beautifully modeled Alienware computer will also get their attention, especially if the alien is guarding it.

And maybe you somehow blatantly missed this in your speil:
Quote: "would not be considered as innovative as having him racing a UFO around a landscape. Be imaginative"

Oh, look at that.

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 07:11
Exeat: Its been my experience that the competition rules arent strictly followed in judging. That just a sense I get, no evidence to back that up.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 07:22 Edited at: 7th Jan 2004 13:45
good god I can't wait to go home (at work right now) and play this bad boy! nothing but stunning reviews- with my luck it won't run on my computer or something

[EDIT]

...superb game! silky smooth, excellent excellent graphics, good sound, nice controls, overall fantastic! would have liked a few different weapons, or a "superbomb" or something, but otherwise sweet!!!!!!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 08:33 Edited at: 7th Jan 2004 08:36
Quote: "@QuothTheRaven: -Lightmap: the lightmap is under the texutre map - the texture map is an extruded modell of the room - with ghost shading on.. (revers order because of alpha problems)"

Sorry, could you explain this a little more, it's been plaguing me for months.

There' 2 objects, one has the shadows (the lightmap), and it's dark ghosted and turned inside out with the set object command. Then there's the same object of equal size? that has the actual texture on it? Is that how it works?

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 08:42
Quote: "I'm pretty sure that defending a beautifully modeled Alienware computer will also get their attention, especially if the alien is guarding it.

And maybe you somehow blatantly missed this in your speil:

Quote: "would not be considered as innovative as having him racing a UFO around a landscape. Be imaginative"

Oh, look at that."

Yes, but an alienware system is not the actual alien model. The rules were quite strict in respect to the use of the alien model, so much in fact that you weren't allowed to modify it beyond recognition and from that I don't think the alien system classifies as use of the alien model.

The only restriction on this competition was that the alien model had to be significantly included in the game, if there were more restrictions I'd agree, it wouldn't matter that much but the fact that the alien model had to be used and was the only restriction makes me feel that it might not be sufficient.

Again, I don't know for sure, I'm just speaking my thoughts because it would be tragic for one of the better entries to lose on something so silly as not including the model enough. I guess the only person to answer this is Rich.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 09:44
Sweet!

I don't see an issue with the Alien model thing. You have him as your player, you have the computer in the corner and there's even a poster on the wall!

The only problem I had was when I went into a corner and looked at the whole room...FPS dropped through the floor. Then again, I shouldn't have been trying to cheat!

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 13:12
Holy crap, this thing's gonna smoke all the other entries... Except, I got dizzy because of the FOV thing. Anyway, it's a great game, and I don't see anything wrong with the alien model issue.

What isn't remembered, never happened.
Memory is merely a record... You just need to rewrite that record.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 18:10
Guys (Exeat!) please stop staying it's up to me which game wins, it's not. While I am one of the judges there are 6 of us in total including some people from Alienware. Everyone gets to vote on their favourite.

This game is stunning, no doubts about it. But there are 58 others to consider. I personally don't have an issue re: the use of the Alien model as it's more than apparent where he is and what he's doing, the Alienware system in the corner of the room is a lovely touch which it has to be said will probably appeal to the AW judges! But this game isn't the only one to have done that (used an AW PC model).

Cheers,

Rich

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 18:52
I loved the variable FOV, it totally adds to the experience.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 20:46
This is a totally fantastic game !

Its pros:

-Fantastic room and ship graphics, runs at great speeds
-Great interface with very professional graphics
-Fast loading
-Quick to get the hang of
-Not only is the room realistic, but it's very well designed, with all the little nooks to slip through
-Awesome concept
-Great music

Its cons:

-Not enough sound effects
-Collision is a bit glitchy near the couch bottom
-The camera ignores all clipping when you die or a new level begins
-More ship variety would have been cool

I'd give this a 9/10 and name it strongest contender yet . Great job!

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 21:09 Edited at: 7th Jan 2004 21:11
It's a 10 out of 10 for shizzle. I love this game! It's fun as hell to play and yeah there is so much room for more detail and more stuff.

Atair, are you planning to do more with it after the contest?

I'd like to talk to you about how you did the texture colors. It looks like you are doing a more refined idea of what I'm trying to do with color control. Email?
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The Rar doesn't work for me. It has several files missing.

Umpalumpa
Years of Service
User Offline
i love this game and everything about it just 3 things i think u can do to the game then it would be perfect

1)add new weopons like missles
2)add a internet option
3)make a lvl editor
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 23:38
Pincho, did you get both rar files? This game comes in two files, not one.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I can't get the two single files to download, and Froggermon's single file doesn't work either. Neither does the mirror.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 01:45
Quote: "Guys (Exeat!) please stop staying it's up to me which game wins, it's not."

Sorry, I assumed you wrote the rules and so you had the best idea of what you meant by 'use of the alien model'.

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 07:23
So far I have beaten the game on easy and medium. I have found 1 bug. If you type less than 3 letters for your name you get a score of 0.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 19:32
The collision is fine for me anywhere. The only bug I've found is that if you edit the config files to a large number of ships, like 400, then the program will return a no object exists error.

atair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 19:57 Edited at: 8th Jan 2004 20:01
@QuothTheRaven: download the mod -> see first post

ps.: some of the easy/med/hard cfg vars are overwritten by the level specific vars.. just compare them..
Umpalumpa
Years of Service
User Offline
i love this game some much im not goin to complain but when u go thought the gap under the sterio u can go stright though the wires but it really is a great game
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 00:41 Edited at: 9th Jan 2004 04:42
"Sorry, could you explain this a little more, it's been plaguing me for months.

There' 2 objects, one has the shadows (the lightmap), and it's dark ghosted and turned inside out with the set object command. Then there's the same object of equal size? that has the actual texture on it? Is that how it works?"

I think he has a seperate model that had a push modifier applied to it in max. If you just scale a model it wouldn't wrap round it properly (on concave surfaces)

After that its pretty simple.

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 03:18
NOW THAT'S A GAME!

The menu is WONDERFUL.

The help should include more on locking on targets like:
You need to point at the target and press the mouse button for about 3/4 of a second

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 18:10
probably the most fun i've had playing a game made in db! i d/l last night and spent so long on it i didn't have time to post my thoughts before going to bed well done, top quality!

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 20:10
This is probably the most polished DBPro game I've ever seen...

GREAT STUFF!

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I finally got the download to work! The game fully works on my computer...That's 2 games that work!!! Things must be getting better with DBPro! The game is excellent!!! Top quality graphics, good gameplay! No bugs really, or hardly, apart from the bullets sticking in walls, which isn't really a bug anyway. The surround sound works too!! I thought that DBPro surround sound was giving me problems, but it must be something else. I think that this game will win. The alien is all over the place, what was wrong with that? Great game!

Pincho.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 21:12
Bullets don't stick on walls, they have a flash effect to indicate they've hit, like the sparks in UT/UK2k3/Halo. Very stylish

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
atair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 21:35
yes there is a bug with the bullets - sometimes the bullet impact wont hide.. i really dont know why this happens... i reviewed the code several times - and is impossible that the imapct stays - but he does.. who knows..
Umpalumpa
Years of Service
User Offline
IV decided to make a highest score site for this game so go here and submit urs to see where you are on the top ten

http://www.freewebs.com/roomwars
orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 19:24
awesome graphics!

i played on easy. the aliens i shot at just seemed to move out of the way of the laser bolts.

is there a way to actually hit them? hmmm?

best looking so far.

If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time. 806mhz AMD Athlon Processor. 384MB memory.
Windows XP Home Edition. RADEON 9700 Pro graphics card. - editor.exe=1.0.6.1 - DBPCompiler.exe=V1.05
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 21:11 Edited at: 11th Jan 2004 21:12
I had that problem. You have to press the right mouse button until the ship has a targetting thing on it.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 23:00
Yeah, I had that problem the first time, you have to make sure a ship is within your reticle and then right click on it so you get a red tracking diamond around it, then you can hit it.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 01:25
well it wouldent run for me

it says roomwar fades to white and freezes, ive tried it many times but just freezes, i blame my pc

atair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2004 01:41
looks like "media2\intro\loading_obj.jpg" is damaged - check the file or download it again..

below is the code-part:

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2004 04:06
atair, why haven't you responded to my email?

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2004 08:32
Gaaaaah! I played this last night and was suddenly struck with an enormous sense of relief that I did NOT myself enter the Alienware competition. Frankly I would have felt embarrassed to pit my pitiful efforts up against Roomwar.

All I can say is: woooooo! Roomwar is amazing!

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
atair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2004 09:42

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 21:18:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 21:18:41