Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / FPS with interesting concept

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 04:19
Hey guys,
All the stuff I've been posting around has been for our new project we're doing. We don't have much to show yet, we're working mostly on getting our models and levels, and a function that reads data commands in a way that will load a level and allow for mods.

What we're doing with this is twisting around the "headshot" concept. It will be a standard FPS in all other means, don't want to jump too far ahead since we're kinda of on the newer side to DB. Anywho, here's our plan:

*If you get shot in the head, unless somebody mods it, it will be an instant kill. We will take into account if anybody's wearing helmets (otherwise that'd be pretty cheap).

*If you get shot in the upper arm, your crosshair will wobble and accuracy will go down. If you get shot in the lower arm, same effect to a lesser extent, and slower trigger-reaction.

*If you get shot in the leg, you'll move slower.

*If you get shot in the chest (I hope I'm remembering this right), you'll slowly bleed to death if you don't get some kind of medic pack.

Enemies will suffer these consequences as well, and we'll have animations for wobbling guns, limping, etc.

There will be 9 missions with a cool little plot with both indoor and outdoor settings. We might implement some vehicles, ally AIs, and some fun cheats (ie: if you get the SPF 5000 you're immune to explosions).

Might not have screens for a while, it's a very small amount of people working on it, and we're not all exceptionally oriented toward the artistic aspect of game design.

Oh yeah, it's being written in Classic, and will undoubtedly use NuclearGlory's collision dlls.

Crazy Donut Productions

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: KillZone(FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 05:07
wow sounds great But that is going to take alot of programming. I do good in the artistic part of game desighn but really suck at the programming lol . I hope you make it sounds great.

P4 3.2Ghz/Alienware area 51/radeon 9800 pro 256mb/sound blaster audigy 2/5.1 surround sound speakers.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 09:05
Thanks Major Payn! The big programming part is going to take a while, while my partner is designing the outdoor levels, I gotta design a file system that keeps track of all the objects, matrices, animations, and events going on in the levels. Maybe in the future we could help each other out, art+code=success.

Juvenile Industries
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 12:09
Don't post till you have done something substantial.

I'm too tired to get annoyed but just make some of your gamw (or fail) before you post.

Ideas are from Deus Ex.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 19:25
Thanks Christ Knott, I'll keep that in mind from here on out. I've never tried Deus Ex, though it is on my list of classic games I need to play. It may be just me, but your post was rather abrupt and would be considered rude by some individuals. Perhaps we can make a compromise: I won't post until I have any substantial work to show, and you can agree to dampen your flames a little so as not to discourage new programmers just coming onto the scene.

Juvenile Industries
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 20:18
How ya gonna go about doing this, checking if the bullet hits a certain limb (the body part)

a
Phantom Warrior86
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2004 21:04
i think they should have seperate collision for each limb and a different "then" string for each limb

"Old and weak think you I am, your mistake soon you will learn"
STE
Years of Service
User Offline
May I suggest the following:
Ditch the vehicles, AI and cheats, because if your new to DB I would suggest smaller is better to start with, and you can maintain focus.

Certain other games have enemies limping when shot, but no-one really gives a sh*t about them. Why? Because when I open up with an automatic, it doesn't really matter where I hit, I'm going to get a kill anyway.
So I think you need a way to make your ideas stand out. I would imagine a slow firing pistol weapon will enable you to show off your main game hook quite well.
Having instant head shot kills kinda ruins the idea though.

Could be very fun in multiplayer, limping away from another player, whilst he is bleeding to death trying to find you. Or perhaps blasting someone a few times in the arm on purpose and then playing with them knowing they have little chance of shooting you back

STE ;¬!
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2004 03:42
thats what I mean PW86

a
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2004 06:59 Edited at: 27th Jan 2004 07:03
Thanks for the input STE! We'll definitely test it boatloads, and maybe distribute it for a beta test or something. Having a slow rate of fire is a great idea though. I know what you mean about the head shot thing, nothing is cheaper than somebody who walks around popping people left and right. If the almight HALO had done that, anybody decent with a pistol could win the National Championship, and that would definitely be bad.
We wanted something real, maybe you could compare it to Counter Strike in some senses. We definitely want limping to mess things up for anybody who is in that situation. We're looking for realism, but fun. And often fun in an action game comes from tactics used, so you could say we're trying to add a bit more variety to FPSs. Sorry to bore you with jumping around game design philosophy things,

@PW86 & Mattman that's pretty much what we're doing. Except Nuclear Glory's dlls don't quite handle limb collision yet, so we'll put a cylinder, sphere, or box around the head, torso, arms and legs respectively and keep them in the same position.

Juvenile Industries
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 01:09
I would help But I am about to start my Ant RTS game soon. It is a game were you control an army of ants you can build nests and attack enemy ants and larger animals.

Idea copyright Major payn lol

P4 3.2Ghz/Alienware area 51/radeon 9800 pro 256mb/sound blaster audigy 2/5.1 surround sound speakers.
WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 01:42
I'm a half noob as well crazy donut prod. Hope you the best of luck and the fact that there are a few of you means that there is more chance of you actually finishing the game.
Rpg_Freak.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 04:35
Thanks guys! Once we finish some media and get some tech demos done we'll be maintaining a website, a geocities site, but still a site.

Juvenile Industries
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2004 15:33
Major Payn: There is a game like SimAnt just like that!

a
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2004 01:12
How's it going?

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 07:02
Hey Chris,
Times have been a little difficult because we're saving up to get a couple licenses for gameSpace. But while we're waiting on that we've written a basic plan for our little file format, .kzm. There will be a KZM Reader function in the program that reads the format and lays out the map according to what's in the file. We're just now starting development on the level editor. We have plans to release it so hopefully some people will be interesting in making their own scenarios (the level editor will include triggers).

We've also estimated all the animations we'll need for each little AI guy, it's around 53... :\, we'll probably end up using some of the premade skeletons and animations that come with gameSpace, and many gun and soldier models from DarkMatter.

I'm glad you guys are at least semi-interested in this. Boosts morale to know somebody's watching.

Crazy Donuts

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: KillZone
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 08:09
heck yeah, I'm interested in everyone's projects... post some screen shots when you get the editor up and running!!

sounds like you are doing a good job planning. I am using a similar system for my current project, and it's an amazing sense of accomplishment to build a game engine that can be modified via well-designed external tools. I hope to release the dev tools with my game too when it's complete.

keep updating this thread with progress!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 01:01
good luck
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 02:04
Yes I just found out about that "sim ant" game, well I have scapped the idea I just dont have the programing skill or knowledge, plus that idea is taken darn!

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 02:17
Don't worry Major Payn! Ideas aren't copyrighted. There's Sim Ant, Ant Empire, SWARM, and another one I can't pull up the name for. These are all ant-themed RTS games, but they can all sell legally because they have different art styles, engines, and slightly different gameplay.
Now that I look at it our game kind of looks like a combo of Counter Strike, 007, and a little bit of HALO. Yet we can still legally produce it.
I'd be willing to bet you could incorporate some really cool features nobody's thought of before into an ant sim.

Crazy Donut Productions
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 19:41
Hey major payn- (you've probably already thought of this but oh well...) i think a cool feature would be that when your queen dies you lose. which means you can kill there queen...(regicide).

Isn't it horrible that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs...
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 13:55
got good news for ya, TGC will enhance the intersect object command so that you know what limb is hit

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 20:16
That sounds like it will solve many problems! But, are you talking about DbPro or Classic? We're working with Classic right now, but after we get the game out we plan to make a little bit of money off of it, at least enough to get DbPro. I remember reading many good things about upgrade 6, and that's just about secured our order within the next year or so.

Crazy Donut Productions
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 08:08
Hey guys,
Finished huge essay for English, High School registration is over, and now is time for serious coding (especially with Spring Break around the corner). We're starting with creating our level editor, and mapping out the levels in the absolute most instricate detail so we can put it all into the editor. Then we'll write all the code for reading levels and actually playing the game, then a ui, and menus.

My question to people is about the editor. Currently we've go it planned so that you load models as specific types (map skeleton, static object, interactive object, AI). You set attributes such as explosion settings, sounds, animation, AI behavior, etc. Then you can set up objective/goal triggers. These triggers are limited to two types: destroy object, and get to area. In a nutshell, we're only putting in the features we need so that we can just program the framework of the game, then do everything else in the editor.

Are there any more features you would like to see added for the use of modding.
And ah what the heck, what features would you want if we released it as an editor for DB games instead of just our game in particular?

Crazy Donut Productions
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2004 02:25
Quote: " We're starting with creating our level editor, and mapping out the levels in the absolute most instricate detail so we can put it all into the editor. Then we'll write all the code for reading levels and actually playing the game, then a ui, and menus."

Oh, so you only have the entire game left to do.

Amist the Blue Skies...
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2004 06:46
Haha, unfortunately that is not far from the truth. You've also got to understand that we've only got two people working on this. Two people who are involved in things like a tournament soccer team, an audition-based jazz band, honors classes, and as I mentioned just finishing high school registration. Everything is planned, since that is the most important part. If it makes you feel any better we've got basic gravity and collision down in a little prog in which you can walk around the terrain of one of the multiplayer levels. The file format planning is done, and we've made digital versions of at least two of the levels. This editor we're creating will cut development time nearly in half in comparison to typing out the level code by hand.
I apologize if we appear to be newbs starting something too big for us to handle, but we started working on this thing in qbasic (back then a 2d Eye of the Beholder style shooter), moved it over to Blitz2d with the same concept, and then changed it to 3d with Blitz3d. We didn't have the money for the full version of Blitz3d, and one of our guys received DB as a gift, so we used this. We've picked up a trick or two in this little development adventure we've had, it just took us a while to get used to DarkBasic after spending so much time on the "Dark Side" with Blitz.

Crazy Donut Productions
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2004 01:04
We've started on the level editor. Real basic functionality at this point, you move around with the crummy camera controls (destined to be redesigned), load the few objects I included in the file, and adjust the ambient light. Unfortunately, you can't save.

http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/KZEdit.zip
It's geocities, so you might have to copy-paste into browser.

Please burn me to ashes with criticism, I would love it.

thanks,
The Bear
Crazy Donut Productions

Crazy Donut Productions

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 08:35:01
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 08:35:01