Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / AXeS of EViL Demo hits 5000 downloads on this site!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2004 20:26
That's over 5000 downloads in about 3 months since it was released! That's in addition to many more thousands of downloads from Filefront and Gamer's Hell.

Thanks to all who downloaded for making Axes one of the hottest DarkBASIC games/demos ever!!

For those unlucky few of you that have not yet downloaded and tried it, go here immediately and grab it:

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=showcase_view&i=153

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2004 20:52
Wow 5000 downloads. So is this game finshed?

I dont know how to spell
Xanatus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2004 21:21
non its moreover a demo.

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
The game uses our DLL as well.

And, can be seen from our showcase too:
http://www.nuclearglory.com/showcase/

Nice bit of work

Lead Programmer/Director
Powerful Collision DLL for DBPro and DBC: http://www.nuclearglory.com
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 01:37
Is this a Program Announcement?
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 02:18 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2004 02:20
This game is too hard! In the tomb, where that circular lit room is with the Helm, the mob of skeletons is too hard to kill in a small number of continues! I back-flip, keep my distance, then try to jump-kick into them, but it doesn't always hit, and even then sometimes they hit me. I really want to beat this part because I want to see the rest of the game! Saving and loading would be a huge help too.

Also, does this game use hardware acceleration or does it use the software renderer? The framerate drops to 10-15 FPS with TnL enabled (??).

BTW: When this game is finished, will it be freeware or sold for profit?

HP Pavilion | Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
512 MB Ram | NVIDIA GeForceFX 5600 AGP, with 256 MB Ram
WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 09:50
If you got 5000 downloads from this site alone and many more from other sites then you should publish it. Go to www.xgames3d.com
They publish games developed by small development teams like one or two people. And you could make a nice profit (xgames3d split profits 50 - 50).
Rpg_Freak.
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 22:18
Quote: "In the tomb, where that circular lit room is with the Helm, the mob of skeletons is too hard to kill in a small number of continues! I back-flip, keep my distance, then try to jump-kick into them, but it doesn't always hit, and even then sometimes they hit me. I really want to beat this part because I want to see the rest of the game! Saving and loading would be a huge help too.

Also, does this game use hardware acceleration or does it use the software renderer? The framerate drops to 10-15 FPS with TnL enabled (??).
"

The skeletons are meant to be almost unbeatable because that is not the way to solve that part of the game. You have to go to the goblin camp and figure out a way to revive one of the injured prisoners, she will then tell you what to do in the crypt.

As for the TnL, that is a DBC problem with some video cards. Enabling TnL seems to slow things down. Disabling TnL should give you an overall performance boost, but may cause graphical glitches with some cards. Also, enabling static objects generally means you have to disable TnL or, also, suffer through bad performance and glitches.

This is only a demo for now, work has been halted on a full version until we can get some funding for the project. This is a fairly ambitious project and will require a modest investment to get done. Yes, we are looking at making a deal with publishers, but most want us to do all the work and then collect part of the money when we're done. Unless somebody can pony up some cash to allow us to pay for our development costs ahead of time, this project won't get finished, it's that simple.

Nevertheless, we are keeping hope alive and are also working on smaller, more commercially viable projects, that we are willing to work on for free because we see more potential return from them.

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 00:03
If you were to get some funding would it be coded in DBC?

Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 19:36
Quote: "If you were to get some funding would it be coded in DBC?"

Most of the game engine has already been ported to DBP and I've enhanced it a bit using DBP's new features (like shaders and model smoothing). So it would most likely be developed in DBP. Perhaps, I may even consider doing TWO versions, one in DBC (for dx8.1 and lower systems) and one in DBP for (dx9 and higher systems). I've figured out how to write code that is very portable between DBC and DBP now, so making two versions shouldn't add alot of dev time above everything else.

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 23:25
It's not like I need TnL enabled, but it's weird how it slows things down so much. What does it do anyway?

And about the goblin camp, where do I find that? In fact, what am I supposed to do in the first map after I talk to the dying guy in the castle village? I'm not allowed to exit the map until I do everything in it.

HP Pavilion | Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
512 MB Ram | NVIDIA GeForceFX 5600 AGP, with 256 MB Ram
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 23:28
With TnL enabled, most 3D calculations are not done by the CPU anymore, but by the VPU (videocard). Introduced with the geforce256.

Quote: "
Amd 2500+ | 1024mb pc2700 | A7N8X-X | Geforce4 ti 4200 128mb
"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 02:14
Well I wish you good luck fishing around for a publisher-- the project is impressive (and nice looking) already and I'm sure it'd be even better in DBP, with higher framerates and better graphics. And good job on the download count!

Baal-> Aye, that's what TnL is... DBC seems to have trouble implementing it though.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2004 16:20
Yarbles : Your website's down.

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
http://www.tinnedhead.tk
http://www.exor-mk1.tk
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 20:57 Edited at: 29th Feb 2004 02:13
I'm in the process of updating the DNS entries for my website so it be will unreachable at that address for a while.

In the meantime, you can get to it by following the new direct link in my signature.

Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2004 02:27
Just a small update, after briefly converting the AXeS engine to a flight sim, I got the idea and started working an a very nice and functional editor.

To start, it will support tiled landscape texture manipulation, auto-texturing and transitions, dynamic object cache with random object distribution, full heightmap manipulation tools, 3d object placement and manipulation, special trigger placement, shading definitions and whatever else I can think of. It will be specifically designed for DBC and DBPro, but should create worlds that can be loaded with any programmable 3d engine given the spec.

In short, it's the editor that I've always dreamed of!

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2004 03:18
Wow, sounds really excellent Yarbles. Have been trying to make a good landscape editor myself for a long time, yet havn't succeeded.

Gook luck to you and keep us updated on your projects.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 11:09
Great game! I like it. BUT! There's one very big downfall. And that's the controls. I have how you have to move the character with the mouse, using the arrow keys is whole lot better. Mouse Attack is good, Mouse Look is good for First-Person, but not for moving.
That sought of spoils the game.
Rpg_Freak.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 13:45:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 13:45:50