Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Morphing Animations

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 04:20
This is a demo of morphing of my playeres in my game.
The model is not going to be the one in my game.

http://www.the3dresource.com/clients/ivan/Test.zip

The keys:
W=RUN
W+MOUSECLICK=RUN/SHOOT
SHIFTKEY=DUCK
SHIFTKEY+MOUSECLICK=DUCK/SHOOT
SHIFTKEY+A OR B=LEAN LEFT/RIGHT
SHIFTKEY+(A OR B)+MOUSECLICK=LEAN LEFT/RIGHT/SHOOT

I dont know how to spell
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 07:48
That's sweet! Looks real nice and professional. It's nice to see a model which actually moves to different poses, instead of the jerkiness we're used to seeing.

Good job!

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Viewsonic, 80GB HD

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 19:38
pretty good, only downside is your gonna have loads of animations if you want to introduce other moves like strafing (left, left while shooting, right, right while shooting), rolling etc. then comes problems like aiming up, mid, down...

i take it you have a seperate shoot animation for standing, ducking, leaning left and leanng right. if only dbpro had a way of animating limbs seperately so like you could have different leg animations and use the same shoot animation.

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2004 20:06 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2004 20:07
@Aluminum Pork
Thanks.
It took me like a month to get this right.

@Hexgear
Well its easy to make them do otheres like staff left while shooting,
but if someone leans left and shoots they'll shoot the wall
there hiding behind. I made the leans to make them hide then lean
to pop out and shoot. I try to go for a real world like theam
not a game like theam.

I dont know how to spell
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 17:34
looks pretty nice.

one question. what if the player only wants to run forward for a SHORT distance? right now, just tapping the "w" key will make the player run through a full animation loop. I guess if you're using a tile-based world this would be fine, but if you aren't, it might look a little funny.

very smooth animations though! what kind of game are you going to make this into?

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2004 20:26 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2004 20:28
Quote: "one question. what if the player only wants to run forward for a SHORT distance? right now, just tapping the "w" key will make the player run through a full animation loop"

I could make it go a short distance. But also the game im makeing is going to be a FPS. So theres no 3rd person.

Click on my WEB link. Im going to add the morphing to that model
and others.

I dont know how to spell
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2004 18:00
It's not really morphing, just all the animations start from the same point. You can't stop running straight away, and you can't start shooting while running without stopping.

I would do it slightly differently, I would have separate models for the top and bottom halves of the player.

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2004 20:34 Edited at: 8th Feb 2004 20:53
You know I tryed that but it took to much code. This is not
going to be the one im going to use. And I could make it morph in
the way it should. This is nothing this was just to show
something... I dont know something just to show.

And the shooting part is not the one im going to use.
Just when I make my game youll see.

Also why do you make it seam like you are just some big shot coder.
Were is your... work?

I dont know how to spell
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2004 23:03
I've only made two games (check sig images). I came 8th in the competition.

I was just saying that if you split the model in half you would find it easier. You would be able to start and stop shooting instantly, whatever animation and where ever in the animation you are.

How are you making it so that you can start shooting mid animation?

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2004 23:12
I was thinking of animating the player with his gun up you like geting reday to shoot. Then just rotate the limbs in a very good way.
Some tipe of rill time animation. So when you shoot the running animation will be playing and then the program will goto another
loop to rotate the arm limbs in a way to make it look like its shooting.

I was going to use this engine for my compo game. I could have maybe cam in a good place in that compo. Also when you roate a limb that
has been boned the vortexes will still strech.

I dont know how to spell
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2004 00:22
Oh right, that should work.

Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2004 15:09
Hi, pretty cool

Something related - is it just me, in DBP do we still not get any direct limb control over a single mesh, boned, model? Just thinking about the aiming stuff... i.e. do a loop object, then try to set limb angles manually while the rest of the anim plays. I only get individual limb control if the model is basically seperate meshes per bone/joint. But obviously it doesn't look as nice, no stretcing etc.

Come to think of it, even if my model isn't animated, but has limbs that appear in the checklist, I can't rotate any limb individualy. That's the same single skin model byw. Maybe I'm just be having one of those days...

Cheers.
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2004 20:00
What you do animate 1 model running then get the same model then animate its arms shooting. Then load both models leags/arms and all. then just hide the limbs you dont wont to see. Then play the animation of the one you would like to see. like play the animation of the model running then if you wont while runing play the animation of the other model shooting. I cant explain it that good.

Dose that help?

Also I bone my models in MS3D.

I dont know how to spell
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2004 21:08
that's getting pretty complex... for the game i was working on for the alienware competition i controlled every single limb of the main character in-game and not with appended animation files.

pros:

can come up with some cool fx, i basically mimicked the motion of max payne, using the mouse to control aiming direction and orientation (waist up) while wasd buttons control movement and strafing (waist down). So you could like strafe left and right while simultaenously aiming up and down.

cons:

rotating limbs in dark basic is as slow as hell pop in 7-8 limb rotation commands and watch your fps fall down the drain, and i have to control like 13+ limbs

it's a real cool effect though, i'll upload it sometime.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 00:01
having 2 models with hidden limbs could cause some problems though. you'd have to animate making sure the the point where the 2 object will be joined (pelvis perhaps?) doesn't move AT ALL in any of the animations, or else it would be really obvious that the two halfs are independant from each other.

this would also only work on a old-style animated model, an mesh-deformation model wouldn't work.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 04:59
I could make a max payne type of thing. Thats why I made the model
do what it dose. I new I was going to be late for the compo so
I just stoped the development of my engine. Ill upload something
to show point shooting.

I dont know how to spell
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 05:33 Edited at: 10th Feb 2004 07:26
Ok Max Payne. This is the way I was going to use for the compo.
Theres little bugs in it that I know about, like the arms go throught
the model in some places.

This is a PATCH so just put this exe in the same folder.
Replace the exe with this new one.

Tell me what you think.

http://www.the3dresource.com/clients/ivan/Kingdom%20Games%20Engine.exe

I dont know how to spell
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 11:52
Hi,

I tried a basic two half model, and it looked ok, plus I already had mouse point shooting working just using just animation - I didn't use any specific limb commands, its all through anim.

I guess there are lots of ways to do this, I just wish I had some limb control over my single mesh model to make things a little easier He's created and boned in MS, and animated in CharFX. Stuff like hide limb won't currently hide all verts associated to the joint in question - however, its coming in U6 (yay) so I'll be patient

Or I could do it with memblocks now... but that would be too slow (probably).

Interesting to see about the fps loss from rotating a few limbs...

Cheers.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 17:01
nice... apart from the stopping between shooting and running while shooting i'd say it's pretty good, like chris said earlier, it's best if they start and stop instantly. How easy would it be to implement strafing while shooting using this method?

did you use bones or limbs animations?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 17:52
If you watch the little dudes in OIE, you'll see that they can change pose depending on the gun without affecting the animations, also they aim at their target - like twist their waist and lean back or forward to suit. The dudes .x file has no weapon poses, I had to make my own poser thingy so I could set the limb angles inside the engine.

I did this by leaving the arms alone on the animations, then manually rotating them to suit - if you animate the walk but not the arms, you don't need to keep rotating the limbs, it remembers them because rotating a limb on an animated model is like an offset, it stays like that all the time. Once you have the limbs posed properly, you can rotate the waist any way you want.

With a single mesh object, you can get decent movement without duplicating animations or writing your own system, the important thing is to plan it all out.

When Lee get's his finger out and fixes the LIMB DIRECTION commands we'll be throwing models around ragdoll style .

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 18:04
you mean you used pre-made animations for the characters legs only and controlled the character from the waist upwards in-game? is it possible in pro 'cus i tried that in classic and had no such luck...

this was the reason why i didn't do it the way you suggested (i did think about it) so it was either i made loads of pre-made animations to be able to do all the moves or i controlled all the limbs in-game.

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2004 06:03
I have many ways to do what I need, its just that I stoped makeing the engine. Also Van B I know what your saying because thats the way I doing it. I could use one mesh to do all the animations that I need.

Quote: " So when you shoot the running animation will be playing and then the program will goto another
loop to rotate the arm limbs in a way to make it look like its shooting. "

Also I stoped working on the engine because im not goint to have
the player leaning and shooting, that was just for the compo.
And im not going to use that model in my new game.

And anothere thing is that I could make the animations go to anothere faster its just that they do but I set the rez to 800,600
when I made it run for a low rez. Ill update it for you guys.
Ill upload it sometime tomarow.

I dont know how to spell

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 21:36:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 21:36:52