Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Tyrannt RPG Engine update

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2004 02:09
Hi there, been working on my Engine a bit more and now have the Maze Generator part written. I've basically used my last version of this where the source survived (Although in an earlier state) due to being put into Code Snippets. Which you can download for yourself using the link below.

Here is basically what it looks like

To download the exe version of the progress so far this is the link

http://www.jsun.co.uk/Tyrannt.zip

You can also get the source for this part of the program to do with what you will from http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=3865&b=6. Bare in mind this was one of my first programs written in DBPro before I discovered functions

The character generator (Pic below) currently looks like this due to me not being a very good drawing artist to do bitmaps to pretty it up. But is now 90% working

I'm very close to starting the fun stuff which is the 3D environment to walk around which will be similar to the previous attempt but hopefully much better .

I've also knocked up a web site to put everything on which is

http://www.jsun.co.uk

Any comments welcome.

Jas

----
Http://www.jsun.co.uk
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 01:46
Just a quick update to say that i've added a bit to show the maze in 3D to see what you have generated using the maze gen part. Its very basic view but i'm going to work now on the core movement part of the game. Due to this the download mentioned above is now around 2mb due to the increased size of the executable.

Jas

----
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 02:15
good work mate. I was going to make an editor for this component but ive headed down the random maze generation concept. its shaping up well.

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 11:00
Thanks, I've chosen this way of doing it to make the game a story based game, i.e. needing the map to stay the same so it can be used to build up a story based on they map. Later on there could be a dungeon romp type of level where it will be randomly generated but for now I'll use this method.

BTW Forgot to mention, if people downloaded the new demo, the 3D part can be controlled by the arrow keys for Left, Right, Forwards and backwards. With Shift moving you up and ctrl moving you down.

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2004 19:44
I’ve just started the walk around part of the engine. It will be similar to games like Bards Tale/Wizardry, but using real 3D. So far you can walk around the maze you generated but will stopped by doors at the moment until i’ve added that code. Controls are the cursor keys. Currently working on adding the floor, ceiling and doors next.

Below is an exaple of what the view looks like at the moment.

Click below picture to download latest version of the game.

Jas

----
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2004 21:06
What is this going to be used for?

I dont know how to spell
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2004 22:53
An RPG Game that i'm currently working on (Story wise). But i'm going to get the engine and designing tools done first along with the rules. Most of what I've been designing is in this document:

http://www.jsun.co.uk/Tyrannt_RPG_system.doc

You'll see more of the RPG side of things when the Event system and combat system are written.

Jas

----
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good jasuk70
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2004 02:51
Another Quick update before i need to sleep

Got the floor and ceiling done now if u re-download. Still got the doors to do though.

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 00:30
Got the walking around bit finished. including the doors (The door texture needs work though). When you come to a door, press space to go through it.

Click the below link to download the latest.

This is a shot with the door attempt.

Jas

----
Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 05:37 Edited at: 11th Feb 2004 05:40
Hey man, I worked on somethign exactly like this over a year ago, its great. One problem though. The Y angle is a REAL, not an integer. And it doesn't turn exactly 90 degrees for some reason. The more i spun in a circle, the more off the Y angle was from the usuial, you may want to lower the percision to integer.

Some Suggestions:
- Multiple Tile types for floors and walls
- 'Windows' that allow you to see into other rooms
- Make it darker and give the player a flickering light
- Torches on the walls
- Make the player bob slightly as it walks
- Instead of just turning to the left, make them walk foward and turn to the left at the same time (same with walking to the right)
I'm sure some of those were already in your todo list, but just thought i'd say it anyway ^_^

*Edit
Or you can allow to move via numpad, and make 4 and 6 left and right turns, and 7 and 9 the move-and-walk

Or even better, loose the tile-based movement

"I LIKE MARSHMELLOWS!" - Homestar Runner
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 11:13
Thanks for the feedback. (BTW if you re-download there is a tweaked version with chest's visible now if you put one on in the map generator)

Quote: "
The Y angle is a REAL, not an integer. And it doesn't turn exactly 90 degrees for some reason. The more I spun in a circle, the more off the Y angle was from the usual, you may want to lower the precision to integer.
"

I don’t actually use the Y angle, the command I use is TURN CAMERA LEFT and TURN CAMERA RIGHT, and for some reason this still doesn’t update the angles properly, if I use the turn camera to make it turn 90 degrees the angle values do not return the correct values. But the camera was pointing in the correct direction.

- Multiple Tile types for floors and walls
- 'Windows' that allow you to see into other rooms
- Make it darker and give the player a flickering light
- Torches on the walls
- Make the player bob slightly as it walks
"

All these are on my “would be nice list�, which I will work on after getting the core stuff done. I've just finished the basic movement now and maze drawing, it's time to get back to the characters for a bit and add the save load stuff there. Then get about to designing the initial interface for the game.

Instead of just turning to the left, make them walk forward and turn to the left at the same time (same with walking to the right)
"

Not quite sure with this, the game wont allow diagonal movement, so it's just rotate left, rotate right, move forwards and move backwards.

Quote: "Or even better, loose the tile-based movement"

I don’t envisage this at the moment, My favourite type of game when I was a bit younger, was the fully turn based RPG's and fully intend to make this a turn based RPG game, no real time element. The basis of how this will work is you will move and if there is anything else like wandering monsters, they will then move. Combat too will be a turn based affair, I know lots of people seem to think that real time is the only way to do things, but I really enjoyed the old style turn based games. Hence I’m embarking on this project.

Cheers,

Jas

----
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 11:24
we share a similar floor texture.

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 11:30
Texture Maker scripts are great arent they

Jas

----
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 11:30
indeed that program is seamless heaven

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2004 02:19
Done a bit more work and introduced fogging and a chest object and the random treasure object (Just the object to the view). Could people please try this out and let me know of any problems with the maze designing and running around the maze.

Some pics of the new bits Firstly fogging and then the chest and treasure.

Thanks for any help

Jas

----
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2004 04:25
Looks good!

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Viewsonic, 80GB HD

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2004 13:20
I forgot to point out that there is a Tyrannt.conf file in the zip now. The format so far is this:

01 - Maze Block size (I.e. what is used in the create object cube command) (Default is 500)
02 - Top X corridnate of the 3D View screen (Default is 100)
03 - Top Y cordinate of the 3D View screen (Default is 100)
04 - Width of the 3D view screen (1 - 1024) (Default is 512)
05 - Height of the 3D view screen (1 - 768) (Defauly is 384)

If after playing around you thing a certain setting looks good for the view let me know.

Thanks again

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2004 00:00 Edited at: 16th Feb 2004 00:01
A new update. The updates this time.

Added config option 6 which is either a 1 or 0 for debug information.

Also characters you create will now be saved.

All saved data including the maze and config file will now be stored under a data sub directory.

I've got rid of ambiant lighting and made the camera a point light source (More like a torch) Though i'm having a bit of trouble lighting the ground.

Download with http://www.jsun.co.uk/Tyrannt.zip

Below is a picture of the current lighting.

Comments always welcome.

Jas

----
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2004 23:48
Updated the code to allow for more tweeking via the config file.

Config file now contains:

` 01-mazeBlockSize
` 02-3D View X
` 03-3D View Y
` 04-3D View Width
` 05-3D View Height
` 06-Debug on/off 1/0
` 07-Screen Width
` 08-Screen Height
` 09-Screen Bit Depth
` 10-Normalisation on/off 1/0