Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Programmable Robot Strategy Game - BETA DOWNLOAD

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 02:29 Edited at: 5th Feb 2004 02:31
Hey everyone,

You asked for it, now here it is

Download Link: http://www.automatongames.com/roboi/RobotGameBeta.zip

This BETA is meant for you guys to test the heck out of it and let me know of any bugs you find. There are 4 levels for you to wrack your brains with!

Please see this thread to catch up on the object of the game: http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=24871&b=8

Here are a few things you might want to read before playing:

- The BETA version has no music.
- The controls are listed on the top left of the screen when you begin playing.
- If you can't read the controls, use the arrowkeys to move the playing field around.
- The graphics were made by me, a coder, therefore they suck. I will enter a Team Request in that forum later.

If anyone has any problems, please let me know! If you think it sucks, let me know! I spent a good week and a half on this engine, and I feel proud of it so far! I expect the full game will have about 20 levels with updated graphics.

Here are the screenies from the other thread:

Enjoy!

[href][/href]
http://www.automatongames.com/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 02:41
I should also say a few other things:

I apologize for not implementing the option to start at any level, but there is a workaround. Edit the 'levels/levels.DAT' file and switch the level order around. If you get stuck on a level and have to leave the game, that is currently the only way to go back to where you were.

Also, you may notice a tremendous speed drop when the grid option is enabled. I am looking into the cause of this.

Thanks

[href][/href]
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 03:49
good! IT takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, its fun!

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 04:03
@Everyone - Please let me know if it's too easy or too hard so far.

@Mattman - Thanks for the good words! How far did you make it?

[href][/href]
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 06:47
That's fun stuff. Logic games like that are enjoyable for me. Almost identical to those Legos (what were they called) of a few years ago that you could program using that same exact style. With pepped up graphics and some music it'll be quite enjoyable. Good job.

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Viewsonic, 80GB HD

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 15:37
I can't beat level 2, but I will when I get back from school as i now know how to do a loop (i wondered what the parentheses were for )

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 23:12
@Mattman - Actually level 2 doesn't let you do loops--- the loops are enabled on Level 3

[href][/href]
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 23:48
grr, then no way to beat it, lol

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 01:12
This is quite good actually! Finished all the levels straight away and so for me it was too easy, but I do have a very analytical brain and so I think level of difficulty is probably ok for most people.

Good things:
1. The drag and drop stuff is really good - bet that took some doing to get right.
2. Nice sound effects - simple but functional.
3. Nice to see you can abort a running robot and press tab to rejig program. Another programmer might have forced you to wait.

Bad things:
1. Not sure about the size of everything and all that scrolling. Think it would play better if everything on one screen with the chip screen as a section down side or along bottom.
2. Nothing else bad to say!

Well done. I look forward to seeing full game.

Boo!
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 02:06
Cool game! Here are some suggestions to make it better!

1. Allow the chip screen to hold more than 16 chips, to make way for more complicated and challenging levels.

2. A fast-forward button would be nice.

Other than that, nice job! I was able to get hte hang of the game quickly! Do finish this game!

HP Pavilion | Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
512 MB Ram | NVIDIA GeForceFX 5600 AGP, with 256 MB Ram
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 04:09
@Mattman - Are you sure you're referring to level 2? Are you actually able to use the loop brackets? I'm wondering because it shouldn't be enabled until level 3 or 4. If you want I can post the solution for level 2.

@Spooky - Thanks for the pros and cons list! I really had no idea if people would be able to play this beta seeing as how I didn't give a large explanation. I guess I probably don't need to with the full game. Yeah, the drag 'n' drop took a while to figure out, but it took even longer to compress my code for efficiency For the full game I want to enable dragging from, say, chip 8 to chip 16 without having to clear it from chip 8 first. I actually put the "abort code" feature in a few hours before releasing the beta! About the size of the levels, I actually have a zoom in and zoom out functionality put in but I commented it out of the code for now because it didn't work correctly with the moving robot. This will be corrected in the full game, and I expect each level will automatically zoom out (or in) to fill the entire screen so there will be no need for panning. The user will also be able to manually adjust this.

@Summoned Doom - I would love to have two boards of 16 chips each for the full game. Maybe later on the robot will recover a memory board and he will upgrade The full game will have a "fast track" option enabling the transition from position to position to be instantaneous. This will be good for people who are stuck on longer levels and want to skip the moving and rotating.

I have questions for you guys now Do you think the full game should have the option to have unlimited chip amounts for each level? Then it would be more open ended. I don't know if this will make the difficulty harder or easier. Or maybe I'll just have it as an option. Also, I was wondering if you guys would want to tinker around with the level editor? It's actually difficult to make the levels interesting and diverse, so it would be nice if the players would be able to create their own levels. What do you think?

Thanks again for all your good words!

- Jeku

[href][/href]
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 04:18
Quote: "Do you think the full game should have the option to have unlimited chip amounts for each level? Then it would be more open ended."

I don't think you should add that option. It would make the difficulty level imbalanced. It just confuses me to think whether it would make the game harder or easier, but either way I'd prefer you remove the feature.

Quote: "The full game will have a "fast track" option enabling the transition from position to position to be instantaneous."

Or you could increase the sync rate. Either way would work, but I'd rather see what is going on than having everything happen instantly.

HP Pavilion | Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
512 MB Ram | NVIDIA GeForceFX 5600 AGP, with 256 MB Ram
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 04:32
very very nice! I got home very late last night so I only got to play through the first 3 levels, but the game worked flawlessly and smoothly.

However I agree with the desire for a "fast forward" button... watching the robot move is important, so rather than "jumping" from spot to spot, maybe just make it move about 3x faster in "fast" mode?

otherwise really cool game, I'll be watching for updates on this one!!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 07:44
@Summoned Doom - Yes you're probably right, an unlimited chip amount would be too unbalanced. I don't think it would make it harder--- but it would probably make it easier because the user can't screw up if he can use as many 1x, rotates, and brackets as he/she chooses And yes, the fast-track option will increase the move speed rather than have the instant jumps, like you and Walaber have suggested

@Walaber - Thanks for the encouragement! Remember when you play again if you want to go straight to level 4, just change the levels.DAT file

[href][/href]
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 07:30
Hey everyone,

A member of the LLRGT forums found a big bug where you could move through walls under a certain condition. Turns out I had some 'AND's and some 'OR's mixed up in there--- cleaned it out. It's fixed now.

I have reuploaded the fixed version of the game with a few extra things. I have made it smoother when you use the arrowkeys to pan around the field. I also put the much requested "fast movement" option on the options screen which makes the robot move a lot faster!

I have also shaved off approximately 700kb of the download by cutting out various DBP 3D DLLs that weren't needed.

Please let me know what you think, thanks

[href][/href]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 09:47:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 09:47:25