Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / "Tank" test

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 04:07 Edited at: 5th Feb 2004 06:48
Hey, I was hoping that some of you could take our tank engine for a stroll and report your average fps.

Since our first thread is now dead, (although successful), I'll post some of the updates since before.

Updates:

Everything is now fully dynamic, as in, easier for developers. We really hope that if this game is as successful as we wish, that people will take their hand to it, and maybe make some media. For this, we created a system that revolves around text files. Although it's a simple system, it's still handy. If you wanted, you could easily add, change, swap, etc, every single object you see in the game world, and whatever you create, will work within the game and will show up in the editor. So nothing media related is hard-coded in.

We've also got some new textures since the last thread, hopefully you guys consider the grass texture better, we have a new water texture. We also added a fish object, and a bunker object (which will be used during actual gameplay).

We also semi-ditched the top-down view, for a C&C (except 3d) type view. We thought this made for a better looking game.

And the biggest thing, is that we actually have an engine test that you can try out. Nothing playable yet, lol. Simply to show that we are making progress, and more for people to critize. We need criticism (sp?). If you don't know what this game is, or don't know what it's about this see the "Un-named Military-Esque" thread near the bottom of the first page (or by the time you read this, possibly the next page).

Anyways, thanks for any help. We recently convinced out "teacher council" at school to provide us with elective time every friday during school to work on this project (and get CREDIT!) woohoo!. Which will help.

If you post any FPS, please post your system specs as well. On my system, I topped at 30FPS, and the program is capped at 30.

Controls:
Arrow keys - Control tank
W - Zoom in
S - Zoom out
Mouse (move left, move right)- Turret

no firing yet

Some screenshots:

Download link - http://www.frostyle.com/game/tank_tilt.zip

It's a zip, with a single .exe enclosed.

Thanks again.

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Viewsonic, 80GB HD

Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 15:51
The only thing i see is a black screen and the mouse, not more.

p4 2.6 Ghz, 512MB RAM, Geforce 4 TI 4200 128 MB

if I = 1 then I = 1 else I = 0
faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 15:58 Edited at: 5th Feb 2004 16:08
NOTE: TO LOOK AT CONCEPT ART, SEE THE STORYLINE, ETC., CLICK HERE:
http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=24268&b=8(Goes to the old thread)

Hey Aluminum Pork, although I am but a ignorent 3d modeler, don't you need to include the 3d files, .map files and such with the game to make it work? I get the black screen o' doom as well when I download the thing.

Oh, and check your school e-mail. Sent you a test model for the 'mech.

Oh yeah, check this screenie I took with the older version of the game:

AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 16:28
Should be fixed now, I still don't quite understand what is "included" with the final exe. I thought all game media was, but now the file is updated.

http://www.frostyle.com/game/tank_tilt.zip

faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 16:47 Edited at: 5th Feb 2004 16:47
Ok, it works now. Got a pretty constant 24-25 fps on the school computers (1.12ghz, 128 megs of ram)
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 20:17
yup its nice, i get about 30fps on my pentium 4 1.6ghz geforce 2 ti 256mb PC. Only a couple of things,
would it be possible to allow the camera to rotate around the tank? so you can see in the other direction?
smooth the drop offs into the water abit, if you go straight down the tilting gets all screwed up, so maybe prevent the tank going to far into the water?
also if your using a plain for the water, try scrolling the texture abit, so it looks like the water is moving.

i might be giving you guys some competition soon got a little engine going, its an FPS but you can get into vehicles ala BF 1942 maybe i'll post some screens tonight........

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2004 20:35 Edited at: 5th Feb 2004 20:37
I beleive that the plan is to lock the camera to the turret's rotation later on. As for mostly everything else you've mentioned, we've noted it already and have plans to make everything work. In the final game, for example, you won't be able to drive off steep cliffs like you can now. Nice idea about the water though, I'll talk with AP.

Thanks for your crits, keep em' coming.

Good luck with your BF1942ish FPS, btw.
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Ok, it works now. Got a pretty constant 24-25 fps on the school computers (1.12ghz, 128 megs of ram) "

our school computers are 300mhz with 32megs of ram and the teachers wonder why they are slow!

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 01:22
Nice, but I found a bug.

http://www.alpha-works.com/TankBug.png

When going down super steep slopes the tank flips upside down.

HP Pavilion | Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
512 MB Ram | NVIDIA GeForceFX 5600 AGP, with 256 MB Ram
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 01:30
Yeah, we knew about that one, and we honestly can't figure out how to fix that. Our solution is to just not to make any steep hills

Or make it so you can't go over a steep hill.

Thanks for the comment though.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 04:36
I assume you're using some kind of multiplication factor for the rotation of the tank (a-la the binary moon tutorial)? that would seem to explain the tank "tumbling" down the hills.

other than that, very nice demo! I agree locking the camera to the turret would be interesting (as long as the angle was wide enough to see around).

looking forward to updates on this project! I wish I had a chance to do stuff like this back when I was in HS

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 07:07 Edited at: 6th Feb 2004 07:07
Well, the tilting of the tank was actually accomplished by another person (from Sweden), who is working with by email. It is similar to the code from the Binary Moon Tutorial, except we're using an invisible sphere, and four "independent" points. We think this will really be cool if we have some sort of wheeled vehicle (future jeepish) that could have independent suspension. The wheels would go with the terrain.

Thanks for the good comments, I'm currently working on the camera functions. So far looking good!

Thanks again, we need some more fps reports, so if you're readin this, take the engine for a stroll!

Thanks

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2004 10:13
sorry forgot to mention fps: solid 24. see my sig for system specs.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 08:03
Well, what the heck, here's a pic of the final (untextured and unanimated) version of one of the vehicles we'll be using. As you can see, its a bit of a departure from the tank theme, but the tank model will find its way into the game somehow anyway. Well, here's the pic:

This also has the happy side affect of bumping us up to the top. Sneaky, aint' it?
Cavex
Years of Service
User Offline
That look real cool!!!!!!
AnDrEy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 13:53
30 steady framerate
some sounds would be nice
tank turret turn
tank engine
go in water
splash
come out water
bird sounds
there are free sound resources at the gamecreators for download
very nice game
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 14:55
30? It should be at least 60

Benjamin R Wharton
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 17:06
30 fps here

P4 1.7ghz
256 MB Ram
Nvidia GF2 16MB

pretty good demo, i had the same problem as others with tumbling down hills but i understand that it can't be avoided, guess you'll have to watch the gradients.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 17:57
i think he said the demo was locked at 30fps.

hexgear@ what are you working on now? I hope you didn't abandon your aliencomp entry entirely?

aluminum@ that new model is very cool!! post a pick once you have a texture on it!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2004 18:32
nah man never, i'm out of the habit of abandoning projects. I'm working on another discreet project at the moment, once that's done i'll continue with it. nice 2 see your still interested

like i said b4, nice demo guys, i especially like the way you can control the turret using the mouse

AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2004 00:45 Edited at: 8th Feb 2004 00:48
Yeah, thanks for the comments! I'm now working realistic physics from firing, (i.e. blowback, gravity for bullet) and smoke from the barrel. I was just messing around and tried putting the Ice from Tribes 2 MP3 in the back ground. It is amazing what music and sound effects do for the atmosphere of a game. It actually felt like a game. Anyways, thanks for the comments on that mech model. That's all faxmaster, I am really horrible at that type of thing. It's now my job to try and get our texture artist to finish the uvs.

[edit] The camera now follow the turret, I like it, and I don't like it at the same time. I'll have to upload the new version and see what you guys think.[/edit]

Thanks for the comments! I capped it at 30 because anything faster made the game feel really dumb, way to fast.

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2004 03:59
Put the sync rate at 60 and half all the movement amounts

faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2004 06:10 Edited at: 8th Feb 2004 06:11
Yeah, get that new version up.

For my part, I'll stop being lazy and uvw unwrap one of my models. Then mr. texture artist can go about makin em pretty.

Oh yeah: fps for my comp: 21 (totaly constant, doesn't change no mater what I do. Its a bit weird because given my specs it should be higher, but w/e)
SPECS: AMD 2800, 512 gigs of DDR ram, integrated(yuck) geforce4 with 32 gigs shared(yuck) ram
Kwiki Mart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2004 05:39
I got a constant 21 i am not sure if the FPS was working cause it didnt move off of 21.
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
ATI radeon 9600 128Mb
512 ram

On target, On time!
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2004 05:49
Thanks for the input! I'm going to wait a little bit before releasing another test. As the only thing that would have change would have been the camera. I'll wait till we have a little more to show before another release.

The FPS was probably working fine, the FPS doesn't move on mine either. There's basically the same amount of stuff on the screen at all times, so the FPS doesn't change much.

baci
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 16:25
Looking good guys...please remember that the more organized you are as you work on a project, the more effcient you can be and the more you can get done!! How is your desing documnet developing??

Chaos Technician,Liker of Toast
baci
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 17:29 Edited at: 10th Feb 2004 17:36
BTW -- I got a good 30fps on my mobo but after abit I got s system freeze -- not even ctrl-alt-del would get me home. THis is probably the mutant drivers that I have installed to get any game performance out of this crappy radeon igp320

faxmaster I really like that story-line from your old thread -- bells and whistles are nice but a compelling story-line give gamers a real reason to play -- and a community to join!!

Dead Rock Star, Chaos Technician, Liker of Toast
mobo:amd 1.8 | 512 mb | radeon igp 320/32m (DNA 1.4.3.5HFSU)
Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 13:37
Nice app! BTW how did you animate the turret?

quad 10k terrahert cpu| 9k^9k terrabyte(tb) hd|stolen military graphics card capable of rendering all of the pixar movies in 5 secs|999^9k tb of ram

15in monitor with 13in veiwable screen
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2004 05:45
We simply made two objects, turret and tank body, uv'ed them, made a limb in the center of the tank and glued the two object together. Pretty straight-foward. Then just used a mouse function to control it.

Thanks for the comments. This project is far from dead, just waiting for a long time to release anything more.

Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 03:18
How did you make the limb?(yes you guessed im a noob) I'm making a tank game too, as my n00b project (not anywhere neare as cool as your's is and will be).

(I made two copies of my model one with the turret attaches and one with them separate.)

quad 10k terrahert cpu| 9k^9k terrabyte(tb) hd|stolen military graphics card capable of rendering all of the pixar movies in 5 secs|999^9k tb of ram

faxmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 18:30
A limb is any object in the game, basicaly. What I did was to create two model files, a Turret and a Body. In the body file, I made a box in the middle of the model (a small one) where I wanted the turret to attach and named it something like "tank_body attach" and then imported both models into the game, and AP glued the turret to the "tank_body attach" limb. Hope that helps.
Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 05:40
Yes, that helps. I will try that in the morning. Right now my brain hurts from trying to learn the NG collision dll.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 17:25:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 17:25:42