Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Any good 2D Tutorials?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 00:59
I think I speak for all the noobs (and newbs) when I say, we need a good tutorial for the 2D aspect of DB and DBPro.

http://www.t4e0.4cybiko.com
The GameXaero Forums
Cros Jovil
Years of Service
User Offline
I would have to agree I am a noob and I love good old fashion 2d games but where can I learn to make the character to interact with the ground and such so ya we need a tutorial
Prep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 22:37 Edited at: 21st Feb 2004 22:39
hmm... depending on what topics need covering I wouldn't mind helping or writing a tutorial on some aspects of 2d. What topics would you like to see covered in such?

Basic Understanding of Arrays needed for all the following
Drawing Tile based backgrounds
Array based Collision
Methods of Scrolling
------Bitmap
------Sprite

If thats all people really want I'll have ago at writing something up, anyone think of anything else to cover? (don't say AI )

To be no more, sad cure.
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Prep i think its all the same problems

- arcade style movement 360 degree turns,speed forward,backwards,side to side, ect ect ect.
- sprites movement and how to manipulate sprites.
- shooting, selection of weapons/weapon scrolling
-sprite based collision and or any other type of collision for 2d games

The best way (i think) to write a tutorial is to make a actual game and then write the tutorial as a novel or a short story or whatever explaining how you did this and what to do next how you set up your program ect ect ect....one guy did this for i think (but not sure) the C++ tutorial and made it like a novel style and it was outstanding and you learned alot from that.

The search continues.

Current project - A space game
MakcKid
Years of Service
User Offline
HEy guys if you wrote a 2D tutorial that would be great. It would help us newbies so much.
Quote: "Basic Understanding of Arrays needed for all the following
Drawing Tile based backgrounds
Array based Collision
Methods of Scrolling
------Bitmap
------Sprite
"

Thats all the stuff we need. Thanks!

Code Stealer
Years of Service
User Offline
Collisions collisions collisions. Sprite to sprite and sprite to map, please!

GIve me more power!
MakcKid
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey. How is the tutorial coming...if there is one being made. I'm really looking forward to seeing it because I've looked everywhere for a 2D DB tutorial, but I can't find one. Well good luck writing it. I think the best way to do it would be to make a simple 2D game in different steps. I hope I'm not asking too much, just me and all the other noobies need some help with the basics. Thanks a lot.

Prep
Years of Service
User Offline
I have started a smallish tutorial on the subjects I mentioned. Alas I have little knowledge of sprite to sprite collision as I do everything in arrays and then just have the game work out what to show based on whats in the arrays.(commonly known as array collision) I'll probably look into sprite collision after array, perhaps in this tutorial, perhaps not. (its pretty poor in DBP anyway)

Underlord has quite a few things he wants covered also that don't fit very well into the style of games I tend to make,. So that may end up as another tutorial if I get the time afterwards mainly because I don't have the time to play around with things i'm not particulary familar with at the moment. (I'm pretty strapped for time as it is).

Basically it will be a tutorial on making an engine capable of scrolling (it will be a birds eye veiw), firing events based on tiles (changing maps during play, picking up items), animating the pc as they roam around and swapping to menus (such as inventorys). I'm writing the full code for such as I go, so its taking some time. Oh almost forgot to mention, I will cover making a map editor for the engine also.

I would like to make sure its clearly known though, that I am not an expert, so some things take me quite a while to get right, and some things might not be done in "the" fastest way possible, but they tend to work!

As i'm writing it, i'm creating media for it, so I guess i'll need to find some webspace, any offers / suggesstions?

Anymore suggestions on topics to cover that fit in with the "theme" of the tutorial (I really can't cover every aspect of several game types, but a lot is similar in all) please post it, so I can see about doing it.

To be no more, sad cure.
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 13:37
Nothing more a basic tutorial really needs, but if you have the time to throw in a "Neat Tips and Tricks" section with more advanced stuff, that'd be fine with me!

Thank you in advance, looking forward to it.

The GameXaero Forums
Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 20:21
2d games are quite simple to create if you have the time. Most games will rely on a basic array based level and tiles. Learning about arrays will help you understand that filling an array with numbers can then sort out tile placment and what not. Ill see if i can find some old code i wrote on creating a 2d platformer. Are you using DBC or PRO?

Chaos

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 23:24
Pro.

The GameXaero Forums
Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 23:47
Well at the moment im in limbo. Not sure on my next project so i may make a few 2d tutorials covering platformers to basic rpgs. Are there any intrest for these??

GameMaker Jason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 01:05
I'm interest in side scrollers if you could do one on them that would be great

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 01:16
You say you want to know about collision. I got that thick book about DB programming I can tell you what it says in that if you want but thats what you probably know already.

"fireball"
MakcKid
Years of Service
User Offline
How is that thick DB book by the way? Would you suggest it to a beginner? And lastly, if I did get it, where is it cheap. Thanks a lot. Good luck with the tutorial Prep. It sounds great so far.

Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 20:33
@Game maker Jason. Side scrollers are quite simple to make. A basic 2dlevel editor is all you need and some knowledge of arrays. ATM im begginning a tut on a basic 2d RPG but ill try and see if i can right some basic code for you to have a look at. Do you use DBC or PRO?

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 22:13
The books o.k. but its more about telling you all the seperate pieces you need rather than telling you how to put them together into a game. More of a refernce book for syntax etc than something you read from cover to cover.

"fireball"
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
What book do you mean?

GameMaker Jason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 23:26
I use pro

Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2004 00:40
OK. Ill see what i can do. I remember when i was trying to make a platformer there were no tutorials so i am now going to create one i think.

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2004 15:20 Edited at: 29th Feb 2004 15:21
the one you can get in a bundle pack called "beginners guide to dark basic game programming."

"fireball"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 06:23:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 06:23:13