Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Vision Of Urth

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 03:59 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2004 04:39
The post has pretty much everything thats on the website the only difference is tomorrow I'm going to update the website with tons of info. (and maybe even the millions of concepts that I have...) I might not do the same for this post.

After taking about a month of break to bring my grades back up to Honor Roll (almost made straight A’s) and to jot down the full design of Vision of Urth I’m back and ready to begin coding. Honestly I just started coding in Dark Basic about two weeks ago, I have no programming knowledge what so ever, and I believe like many others that I am in no way ready to handle a project of this caliber, but I’m going to do it anyway because I like proving wrong the masses. Originally I had planned to code the whole opening scene before actually starting on the game, but I decided that I would do that after everything else. After overlooking Rpgamer’s item inventory code, I’m going to attempt to do that now. (My own brand new code esp. since I’m running DBC) So for now I’ll leave you with two in-game screen shots of what I have right now.

This is the opening screen. As soon as I create a symbol for Just Blaze I’ll make the opening splash animated, just to give it more of that professional artistic look.

And here we have a screen shot of the main menu screen complete with sound, music, and glowing text. I’m almost done with it; all that’s left is to add a star field and some asteroids.

What type of Game is Vision of Urth?
Vision of Urth is... well im not quite sure how to label it, the game is a mix between Devil May Cry, Armored Core, and The Final Fantasy Series. (I'd say Grand Theft Auto too but then you'd think I was crazy) Let me clarify take character progression schemes found in rpg's, combat system of devil may cry, and then add in giant Mechs that your call upon to do combat against giant monsters and other Mechs.

Cheers
Lord Blazer

" I can't hear the bells anymore... "
-Intel Pentium III processor // 551 MHz // 126 Mb of RAM
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 04:34
can't say much about the game apart from the screens look pretty good

you've guys have got the "mouth" to talk the talk, i'll give you that much but i guess we'll see if you've got the "heart" to walk the walk and complete this project! good luck! I've still got games i started years ago and not completed piled up in my back-up folder but i've made a promise to complete the games i've started so i'm digging up the past

by the way, your link doesn't work for me, gives me a 404

Lord Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 04:46 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2004 04:47
Well like I said I'm no kind of coder my forte is artwork, 2d and 3d, but this game is a learning experience for me. I've been around the forums for a long time (over a few different account names) and I know that my goals are a bit much even for the best of coders. Since I have nothing else to do, coding-wise, I can dedicate all my Dark Basic time to this project.

I sure I have the "Heart" to complete this project, I don't think I have the knowledge to.

Right now all I am is "Mouth" (I'm with you guys I don't think I'll be able to do all the things I've envisioned for the game, but I do think I will be able to finish it one way or another) since my goals are so high and I only have the main menu completed but I just started coding last night, hopefully I'll have more fufilling screens later.

I re-did the link

Cheers
Lord Blazer

Douglass
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have no programming knowledge what so ever, and I believe like many others that I am in no way ready to handle a project of this caliber"

well....that pretty much sums it up. to hell with pong...you'll just make the next Devil May Cry/Armored Core/Final Fantasy/Grand Theft Auto...yeah in a couple of decades

....good luck!

jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 20:35
Why is the nVIDEA logo in the bottom right hand corner of your screens?

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.

http://www.tinnedhead.tk
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 21:34
Maybe he works for them . Really nice looking screens, especially the blur on the second one .

Trying is the first step towards faliure.
The Basics of DBPro Tutorial, on my site now!
Athelon XP 1600 Plus (1.4ghz) - ATI Radeon 9600 Pro - 256mb RAM
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2004 01:18
i used to have that nVidia logo on my screen, annoyed the hell out of me every 3D program you ran it would just pop up! if you need help removing it just ask

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2004 01:42
That's a very nice menu.

Can't really say much until we see screenies of the gameplay. I'll hope to see more in the near future though.

Best of luck!

Lord Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Doug- I dont like to brag about myslef especially if I have nothing to back it up with. The truth is I do have programming experience (only in Dark Basic) I'm actually pretty proficient in it, hopefully that will show in the next few months. As for simple programs such as pong, I've learned how to make them even coded some in my head but thats not the kind of game I want to make, even for a first project.

The nVidia logo show up on all my games I've never thought of trying to get it off becuase it never really got into the way.

Thanks for all the comments on the artwork, since that's the main reason I decided to do a project like this one.

Also I didn't get to updated the site, after school I just went into coding. Although I had intended to code the inventory system I decided to do the menu instead, the Interfaces are easier for me right now plus from there I can lead into inventory, weapons, armor, character stats, etc.

Cheers
Lord Blazer

Douglass
Years of Service
User Offline
if you've for some strange reason never wrote program before but can code in your head you have to understand that they are to different things. many problems will come up that you hadn't anticiped so sorry to say but unless your some sort of super genius i really doubt you'll be able to pull this off. i say start something easier and come back to this in a few months. you also gotta learn to model,texture,compose,etc...

Good luck!

Lord Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Doug- (not trying to be argumentive since your mostly right) I do know how to Model, texture, and compose. I've worked in 3d studio max for over 6 years now, I do most of my textures in Paint shop pro and sometimes painter, and I compose my music with fruity loops. Whether or not the game is completed as great as it is in theory it will be completed. Its more about show casing my artistic skills.

but I think i'm going to lay of the forums for a while (atleast stop talking about Vision of Urth), I'll still be updating the website though, if you interested.

Cheers
Lord Blazer

Lord Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 22:41 Edited at: 28th Feb 2004 22:57
Quick Question #1: How do you Loop a Matrix so that the end will end of it's (X&Y) will send you to the beginning of the (X&Y) and so the hieghts at the end of each match up so It appears infinite?

Quick Question #2: Does anyone know of a program that could convert .Mp3 To Midi? I doubt their is but its still worth asking.

Also I'll be updating the website with story, character, and world information around nine o'clock. (EST)

Thanks,
Lord Blazer

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 23:09 Edited at: 28th Feb 2004 23:11
1.) There's a few snippets in the codebase/code snippet board with free source.

2.) I don't know any off the top of my head. Try a google search for "midi mp3 converter"

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 01:20:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 01:20:47