Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Sprite vs Paste Image

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2004 23:31
Is there any advantage of using sprite instead of images apart form rotate a move sprite and does it save proccessor time?

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
In DB Classic, sprites have perfect collision, so that easy collision system is an advantage. In DBPro, I'm not actually sure what the advantages are for sprites. They are supposed to be fast, but they require an extra collision routine, so I'm not sure if they end up faster than pasted images or not.

CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 06:23
sprties give realtime rotation, scaling, alpha function and sprite automatically track positions, sprite x or sprite y, you can set draw priority with sprites easily, as well as use box collision easy. sprites have alot of built in handles that you may or may not need but using image you will have to make handle function yourself. neither is noticable faster or slower, sprite may take some getting used to but they can really shorten you programming time. That said I still almost always use paste image for my backgrounds, no real reason just habit I guess.

RGT may be gone but the best DBP forum is still alive and kicking, check it out.
http://www.dannywartnaby.co.uk/rgt/
Prep
Years of Service
User Offline
One of my favourite things about using sprites is if you make a sprite with its image set to 1 and change image 1 it updates without the need for any more code.

I like that. Good for animating water tiles and such I find.

To be no more, sad cure.
Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 20:38
Well i use DBPRO and normally i will create maps using paste image and then have my charcter as a sprite. Also sprites are usfull for animatng water and other effects. But it is really a matter of choice.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 09:05:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 09:05:39