Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / NVIDIA FX Composer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 10:29
Quick Links
* Download 79MB
* Sample Shaders
* FAQs

Overview
FX Composer allows developers to rapidly develop thier shaders within an Integrated Development Environment using uniqué real-time compile, preview & optimisation features.
The Development Environment allows you to program your shaders in either HLSL or ASM as you see fit.

The intuative GUI allows you to visually alter you shaders attributes, textures and models in real-time watching your effects develop.
Including more than 120+ Shader Samples and a dozen FXComposer Projects, ready for use.

1. CREATE your shaders in a high powered development environment

* Sophisticated text editing with intellisense (auto-complete) and syntax highlighting (auto-coloring)
* Work directly with HLSL .FX files, creating multiple techniques and passes
* Use the .FX files you create with FX Composer directly in your application
* Convenient, artist-friendly graphical editing of shader properties
* Supports Microsoft DirectX standard HLSL semantics and annotations
* Support for all DirectX 9.0 shader profiles
* Develop your shaders on your own models with lighting and animation

2. DEBUG your shaders with visual shader debugging features

* Interactive compiler helps you find and fix problems
* Visible preview of source and intermediate textures targets
* Interactive jump-to-error feature helps you fix problems quickly

3. TUNE your shader performance with advanced analysis and optimization

* Enables performance tuning workflow for vertex and pixel shaders
* Simulates performance for the entire family of GeForce FX GPUs
* Capture of pre-calculated functions to texture look-up table
* Provides empirical performance metrics such as GPU cycle count, efficiency/utilization rating and FPS.
* Optimization hints notify you of performance bottlenecks

Downloads
* FX Composer 1.0 Installer (.exe) [79 MB]
* FX Composer 1.0 User Guide (.pdf) [1.4 MB]
* FX Composer 1.0 Release Notes (.pdf) [0.7 MB]
* FX Composer 1.0 Quick Reference (.pdf) [0.1 MB]

P4-M 1.3Ghz | 512mb DDR PC1800 | GeForce FX 5600 Go! 56.54 | DirectX9.0c SDK | C-Media 8738/C3DX | Windows XP 2004 MC
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 11:31 Edited at: 4th Mar 2004 11:33
Looks really good. Im waiting for a program with almost identical workflow as 3dsmax shader creation/modification. hopefully RT/Shader will be something like that.

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 13:20
@Raven

Thanks for drawing attention to this. I'm definately going to be giving it a go later on in the day when I have a chance.

P.S.
I thought you weren't going to post anymore? What happened?
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 13:22
Looks very useful, but Raven - this forum is for users *own* work - this belongs in the General forum.

BlueGUI-Windows UI Plugin
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 20:20
Do these shaders work on any card, or are they NVidia exclusive?

Currently thinking of a new company name
Sticking to a project idea for once
Riley_Pizt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 00:22 Edited at: 5th Mar 2004 11:41
These shaders work for any DirectX 9 card.

The real funny thing about this application is that Nvidia's own Cg shader language is not supported. So, I guess that pretty much cinches the fact that Microsoft's HLSL is the new standard shader language.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 10:31 Edited at: 5th Mar 2004 10:38
Do not expect answers from me in the future, as i do not plan to be posting in this forum. This is simply to clear alot of things up.

1. Interesting... I always thought this was a DBP-programs only forum though.

There are two reasons for this topic being here. First is that the topic blurb says nothing about showing off only your own creations, nor about it being for DarkBASIC-Based only Programs.
Second is that this is the first Fully-Compatible DarkBASIC Professional .FX Composition program. RenderMonkey and ShaderWorkshop are good for prototyping, however this application will work first time on everything you export.
If it doesn't, then please let me know so that the next release can be improved. There are still slight bugs which are outlined in the documentation, however non which are not common knowlage throughout the development communities.

2. Do these shaders work on any card, or are they NVidia exclusive?

That depends entirely on how you program them. FX Composer supports all current specifications that the Cg Toolkit 1.2 does.
Unfortunately it does not yet support the Radeon Rxx specification for the Radeon 9-Series VPU. This is due to ATI not wishing to share this specification with NVIDIA.

3. The real funny thing about this application is that Nvidia's own Cg shader language is not supported. So, I guess that pretty much cinches the fact that Microsoft's HLSL is the new standard shader language.

Actually the FX Composer requires the Cg Toolkit 1.1/1.2 installed to run. As it uses CgFX runtime for it's real-time rendering.
CgFX is specifically designed to be interchangeable with Microsoft's HLSL and SGI's GLSL .FX formats.

NVIDIA are not forgetting or dropping support for any of thier format, they are simply extending thier current support for DirectX9.

4. This is basically OpenGL versus Direct3D round two. Programmers will use one or the others, and right now for Windows and XBOX game development, HLSL is the most used.

I'm sorry but this is incorrect as well. Cg and HLSL were developed alongside each other, the only main difference between them is how you include them into the API you are using.
Cg covers DirectX8, DirectX9 and OpenGL; Whereas HLSL simply covers DirectX9.
CgFX format is fully-compatible with HLSL format, which allows it to maintain it's multiplatform abilities whilst also maintaining a native compatibility with DirectX9.
Right now, it is actually only Windows developers that use HLSL. X-Box, Playstation2, GameCube and Macintosh developers are using Cg more.
Simply because you are capable of Multiplatforming for the Console which most console games end up doing. When HLSL is used they have to redesign Shaders again for that machine.
Cg allows a generic template which works universally via OpenGL.

5. While I would prefer that Dark BASIC directly expand its list of simplified commands for shader implementation since the whole purpose of Dark BASIC is shield programmers from having to do all of this heavy lifting (and thinking), at least with a tool like this one from Nvidia, I can have it write HLSL shaders for me which I can plug into Dark BASIC.

I'm afraid you seem to have the wrong idea about this product. It allows the Rapid Development of Shaders including a visual representation of them as you work, it in no means will write them for you. You still require some knowlage of FX to be able to use this. Thanks to the NVIDIA staff and beta testers however you do have an extensive library and help file that will guide you through creation.

There are currently game specific examples and tutorials in development, which might be released by the next development.

As I have mentioned this is just in response to this product and I hope the answers have helped people.

Athlon64 FX-51 | 1.5Gb DDR2 PC3400 | GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 56.60 | DirectX9.1 SDK | Audigy2 | Windows XP 64-Bit
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 10:44
Quote: "There are two reasons for this topic being here. First is that the topic blurb says nothing about showing off only your own creations, nor about it being for DarkBASIC-Based only Programs."

Quote: "Written something of quality in DarkBASIC or DarkBASIC Professional? Then post about it here! Please try and include download locations and screen shots if possible."

enough said

Riley_Pizt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 11:28 Edited at: 5th Mar 2004 11:29
Your statement about the Cg toolkit as a requirement appears to be inaccurate. I added

"Also, according to the system requirements listed in ftp://download.nvidia.com/developer/FX_Composer/FX_Composer_1.0_UserGuide.pdf the CgFX toolkit is not listed as a requirement. Only the updated DirectX 9 SDK is."

to my response above apparently while you were replying to the earlier version.

Quote: "
CgFX is not used in console development, Cg is."

If CgFX is as crossplatform as you say, then why not? What file format is used then for Cg shaders on consoles?
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 11:29 Edited at: 5th Mar 2004 16:13
* EDIT *

Riley_Pizt
Years of Service
User Offline
God damn it, who removed my posts?

You should have edited them, not deleted.
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 11:33
You guys tipped me off when you said "This is Direct X VS. OpenGL part 2"... o_O As you know VS. posts = flame war... which is what this was turining into... which isn't allowed... Plus you guys were bashing on raven... and bashing of anyone on the forum isn't allowed either... -_- *I'm not trying to be a mean mod*...

[url=(http://www.puffinteractive.com)]
EVERYONE LOVES THE PUFF!... =)[/url]

Riley_Pizt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 11:36 Edited at: 5th Mar 2004 11:39
Quote: "which is what this was turining into..."

Actually it was pretty much winding down from my end. I just wanted some clarification on those two points I posted (while you were deleting all of my above posts).

Quote: "
Plus you guys were bashing on raven
"

I was not bashing on Raven. I defended his right to post this here, and got bashed for it. It's obvious you didn't really read the thread.

Raven and I were also having a useful discussion (useful to me anyway) regarding the differences between the shader languages.

I knew I should have saved my posts as I usually do.
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 11:39
"shrugs" I removed what I saw as a bash fest... ok... how about his... Ahem... Riley_Pizt also recieved some bashing... o_O double as bad as single bashing...

[url=(http://www.puffinteractive.com)]
EVERYONE LOVES THE PUFF!... =)[/url]

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 13:35 Edited at: 5th Mar 2004 13:35
Thanks Puffy, I don't even know what I was arguing about anymore. Had a bad day earlier.

But to be fair, my very first post was complimenting Raven on a good find and how it looked interesting. Don't see why it had to go as well.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 21:17
@Riley_Pizt

"What file format is used then for Cg shaders on consoles?"

There is no file format. The shaders on consoles(which I believe is just the XBOX that uses them. I don't know about the Gamecube, though I do know that the PS2 doesn't use them) are written in assembly. Their declarations and what not are probably handled through the api, like assembly shaders were with DX 8.

This may all change with the next gen of consoles. Or it may not. Its far too early to tell though I have a feeling that Cg might be making its way to at least one of the consoles sometime in the future.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 13:48:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 13:48:20