Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Turbo Fliers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 22:08 Edited at: 6th Mar 2004 22:09
Please note 2 things: this is (obviously) not finished, and I am only just 12. However, it's worth playing. Anyways, try it out and tell me what extra features I should add. What I'm going to add first-priority for now is the password/cheat system, credits, and a speed selector. (like, how fast everything moves) I like the tempo, but if you guys don't, just tell me and I'll change it. The .dba and the media are in a zip called airplanes or something like that, and the .exe file is in a zip called Turbofliers. Check it out!

[href]www.freewebs.com/lockheedmartin[/href]
Douglass
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 22:44 Edited at: 6th Mar 2004 22:48
http://www.freewebs.com/lockheedmartin
trying it...u should use hyperlink

good start

sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 23:12
I did, it didn't work. It's [blahref]hyperlink[bla/href] without blas, right? And how can I improve? BTW, this isn't my first game, I've been working on an FPS for a loong time but it has more bugs than an ant farm!
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 23:28 Edited at: 6th Mar 2004 23:28
[You'd need an http:// before the url for it to work.]

Good start

"To do is to be" - Descartes
"To be is to do" - Voltaire
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 23:52
Updates: music and sounds added, will update more as soon as LAG problem is solved! (I'm going to make it so that things move different speeds at different fps to maintain a constant speed of things. Do you guys think that 1 speed unit per fps is too much, or just good?
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 01:51
nice start!! You might want to look into .png files for your sprites, you can have much smoother transparency with them.

also, there seemd to be no collision between the planes, only planes and missiles!! I flew right through a few enemy planes

some power-ups and a few different enemies, and this will be a nice little game!!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 04:49
OK, powerups coming right up. And I did no plane collision because of the extra dimension. I mean, ever watched planes in the sky that look like they're about to crash? They never crash, heh, third dimension. Should I add the plane-plane collision? And I'm thinking of adding helicopters as extra enemies. And are .png files any more compressed, BTW? That might help the lag. I could just open in PhotoShop and change the .bmps to .pngs. Thanks for the suggestions, guys, keep 'em coming!
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 07:36
well, the 3rd dimension only makes sense if it works for all objects... why do the missiles always hit you but the planes don't?

also .png files have losless compression, so they are smaller than .bmp files. but before you just hit "save as" in Photoshop, make sure you have your plane on a single layer, with a transparent background (not a black background). then when you save in Photoshop, the image will have an alpha channel, which will make it blend smoothly with the background!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 03:41
Wait, how do I set the background to transparent? (heh, trial version of it, hva only had it for like 5 days)
Night Giant
Years of Service
User Offline
why is there a lockheed martin banner on the top of your page?

oh, wow. insignificantpunks.cjb.net. we like orange treble clef notes, just for future reference.

no: website for progs yet.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 06:21
the easiest way is to make a new layer (small button in the lower right corner of the layer palette), and move that layer BELOW everything else. this layer should be transparent (it will have a checkered pattern on it). then use the erase tool (or select and delete) the parts to be transparent in your image (on the top layer). now the parts you have deleted will show through to the layer belos (with the checkered pattern).

you should have 2 (or more) layers when you are done. the bottom layer is a blank, transparent layer, and the other layers on top have your image. then save as a .png file, and it will automatically have an alpha-channel (special channel for transparency) in the file. when you load it into DBPro, and texture it on an object (or make a sprite from it), it'll be all nice and smooooooooth

if you are using an object, make sure you do this:

set object transparency objnumber,1

good luck!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 01:28 Edited at: 9th Mar 2004 02:04
Quote: "why is there a lockheed martin banner on the top of your page?"

The site was left over from a school project.

Edit: the game stopped working! When you click on "play game", it ends! What is wrong? I can't figure it out!

sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2004 01:32
Finally, after suffering and not being able to figure out my error, I downloaded an older, but working, .dba file of the game off of my own website, hehe. I have basically caught the old version up to the one that errored out, so I should be able to post a working and improved version tomorrow, with plane collision, most likely music and sounds, and hopefully credits and an intro.

ATTENTION: Does anyone know a good free .avi editor for the intro and credits?
sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 00:41 Edited at: 18th Mar 2004 00:41
http://www.freewebs.com/lockheedmartin
Big updates, the alpha version is almost finished! To do: instructions, credits, and an invincible powerup, as well as other powerups soon. The intro movie is not included as it is 80MB.
I appreciate your feedback!
Alkaline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2004 01:12
nice start. i remeber my first game the good ol' pong

Intel Celeron Processor||224 mb RAM||AG 315P 64 SDRAM
http://www.zip.dbspot.com
MrNick
Years of Service
User Offline
so, yuri... you gave up on your game did'nt you