Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / WordTris 1.0 - Download

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2004 01:35 Edited at: 12th Mar 2004 01:38
Hey everyone,

I've finished WordTris 1.0 and I am pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

The object of the game is simple: spell words from letters that fall, one by one, from the top to the bottom. In typical Tetris-style fashion, you can use the arrow keys to position each letter. Words can be spelled both horizontally and vertically!

Here are some screenies:

When you first start WordTris you'll see this:

Where should this letter be placed?

The red block will clear all instances of a certain letter off the playing field. Handy for those X, Q, and Z blocks

WordTris has both a local AND an online high score system! Pictured here is the "cheat-proof" online scoreboard. If you match at least 30 words, you will be able to enter your score online! WordTris takes care of submitting for you. Bragging rights, anyone?

Of course, if you don't have an Internet connection, you can always post your high score locally.

There are some options you can play around with, such as a custom background image if you prefer. However, if you don't want a background image displayed, you can turn it off. You can also turn off the gradual speed increases for the game, so you can have more time to think about each letter placement.

WordTris accepts any of over 30,000 words that are 3-8 characters long. You will get credit for EVERY instance of words-within-words. For example, if you spell CRAMPS, you will get credit for CRAMPS, CRAMP, CRAM, RAMP, RAMPS, AMP, and AMPS!

Let's start filling up that online high score list!

Download Link [Installer]: http://www.automatongames.com/wordtris/WordTrisSetup.exe
Download Link [.ZIP]: http://www.automatongames.com/wordtris/WordTris.zip
Current Online High Scores: http://www.automatongames.com/wordtris/hiscores.php

Please let me know what you think! Thanks

http://www.jeku.com/audio/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
To be honest Jeku...this game is really hard!

That doesn't mean the challenge isn't good. It just seems that at some points, it's impossible!

You should have difficulty levels. On easy, it could give you more letters more commonly used in words, and, if it recognizes that you're spelling a word, you could make it that it might give you the letter to finish it.

Might be kinda hard, but worth it.

Overall though this game's pretty fun, and I can tell it's the kind that becomes addictive. Nice work.

P.S. How much time did you spend on this thing?

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
W00t! I'm on the online high-score list.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2004 04:20
@HZence - Thanks for the compliments! And about the difficulty, I've made the vowels come up approx. every fifth turn, and the consonants are completely random every other time. I think it would probably take a LONG time for me to get it to predict what letter should fall down based on the available options. That being said, I will put it in my list of to-do's for the next version!

Different difficulty levels are a good idea, but then I'd probably have to have a different high score for each.

I spent about a week of on-and-off coding putting this game together. When I first figured out how to analyze the board for words from the large dictionary of over 30,000 words, it took about five seconds after each piece fell before it would move on! Slowly I would add little things here and there to speed it up, and now it takes a small amount of time, even on my fiance's 500MHz computer :p

A large part of my dev. time was in "securing" the files from naughty people. For example, you can't change one word or even one letter in, for example, the license.txt file or the game will not run. Try it out for yourself and change even one letter It not only verifies whether files are there, but the file size and the BYTE size of various files are checked on startup.

I don't plan on WordTris being stolen, but the things I have learned will help me for when I release the full version of ROBOI. I also need to thank RobK for his wonderful DLL files that enabled me to use HTML files for some of the screens, and of course the menu system. The local high score list HTML is automatically generated when you bring it up, so there had to be some fast and quick way to do that.

Sorry for the longwinded response

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2004 04:46
this game looks sweet! I'll give it a try tonight when I get home.

this looks like the kind of game you could even get your girlfriend to play

if I don't want to get in trouble for coding too much, I better whip out one of these type games

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
The Big Babou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2004 13:20
he look at the HighScores. soh my englisch is not be this worse

... they call it a royale with cheese ...
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2004 13:49 Edited at: 12th Mar 2004 17:01
Woohoo. No.1 on first game! Sorry TheBigBabou!

Good game this!

comments:

1. Surely it is an advantage to turn off speed increase in menu *EDIT: Just tried it and got the message that you cant enter net high score - very good idea!

2. Some sort of basic weighting of letters is required similar to scrabble. There are far too many of Q Z J U

3. Why complicate things by asking for your name for local high scores and then ask again for a name for internet high score. Isn't one name enough!

4. Speed that words are checked is really quick - well done!

Will play again later. Got lots of work to do today.

Boo!
The Big Babou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2004 14:04
nooooooo

... they call it a royale with cheese ...
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2004 21:21 Edited at: 13th Mar 2004 21:23
In case some of you are wondering why there are weird combinations of letters that are recognized, the dictionary I use has words, acronyms, and first names. It was the only dictionary I could find during development so I can't complain

EDIT: Spooky and Chris both beat my record of 70 words. How did you guys manage to do that!?! By the 80 word mark, the letters are just flying down at mach 5... congrats!

Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2004 23:43
Love it - will spend as long as it takes to get that no.1 spot.

If it ain't broke - try harder.
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2004 03:39
Keep trying Karlos!

I think I got lucky on my topspot in that I got a red block just as game was about to finish and it wiped out just enough to get a few more words.

You are right Jeku, by the end of the game the letters are really flying! Just enough control to fill any empty columns and hope for a few words.

Will have to play a few more games to get my score higher as it looks in danger of being beaten!

Boo!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2004 21:27
@Spooky, Karlos, and Chris - Congratulations on beating my top score of 70 words I found that even though I have to react fast, sometimes I can plan to make words at the high level in the game. However, like Spooky said, by that time I'm just filling the empty columns and hoping for a few words.

Someone on the LLRGT boards mentioned that it's hard to fill up the right side when it's fast because the letters always drop from the left side. I will fix that for the next release. Plus I'll do a weighted letter drop ala Scrabble so we don't get all the X's and Q's.

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 01:48
I get

Quote: "Wordtris has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL"

???
Ive never had a DBP program do that...

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 08:12
Quote: "Wordtris has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL"

That's really strange. What version of Windows and IE do you have? WordTris uses the Blue GUI plug-in which in turn uses IE to display the high scores, Help, and About sections. But everything else is pure DBPro.

I'll see what I can find.

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 22:15
I use WindowsME I have the latest versions of DirectX and Internet Explorer.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 23:42
I will email Rob and ask him if he has any ideas. Does it give you that error as soon as you start the game?

Also, if you used the installer, can you try the zip file or vice versa?

Thanks.

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 23:48
It gives the error shortly after the window pops up. All I see in the window is black, no game. The window title, however is there.

I tried both the installer and the zip in different places in my HD (Program Files, Desktop, etc)

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2004 22:24
Hey everyone,

If you're running Win '98 or ME, I made a version that will work, thanks to help from RobK.

Here's the link: http://www.automatongames.com/wordtris/WordTris-9x.zip

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 00:07
Yeah, definately need more people playing it as I need some real competition!

May I make a suggestion about highscore table which Banshee Studios had to implement for their Asteroids game (which I am still at no.1 spot!). Only keep top 5 scores for each name otherwise one person colud fill up entire table. If I posted every score that I got I would easily fill all 30 slots. Not that I'm gloating or anything.

I also agree with comments on LLRGT about start position of tile. Should not always be in left column. Either the middle column (4) or like 'spelltris' does which is start in same column as last block ended up in. The later option is preferred.

Can you also clear up a query I have about the red square tile. Most times it clears all tiles with same letter it touches but on the odd occasion is acts like a wildcard letter and completes a word instead. Is this by design?

I would also suggest finding a different set of words as some common english words are not recognised and there are far too many acronyms (although it saves you sometimes). If you look hard enough there are some official scrabble word lists (OSPD) around that may be more logical to use. Look here for examples: http://www.puzzlers.org/secure/wordlists/dictinfo.php

Boo!
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 00:35
Cool thanks!

I like it!
I think there should be a pause feature though.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 00:51
It's easy to pause - just open up the menus at the top. Close menu and game carries on.

Boo!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 02:22
@spooky - What English words aren't in the dictionary?

I just checked out that link you sent me and I wish I saw this back before I released the game! These links are priceless!! Thank you VERY much. I will immediately get the scrabble dictionary into the game and release it for 1.5

I will also implement the piece to start in the same position the last one fell too. The 'red block bug' is something I discovered just after release, and I will try and solve it for 1.5 as well. Thanks again!

@andrew11 - Thanks for the good words! I see you've got your name on the high scores--- congrats!

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 03:33
Quote: "If you match at least 30 words in a game, you can post your score online!"

So how did Andrew11 get on with only 11 words?

Boo!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 09:30
You know what? I was wondering that myself. I was working on the high score table code today but wasn't editing the original--- or so I thought. Probably a bug with his name hehehe.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 22:43 Edited at: 18th Mar 2004 22:44
Here are a few updates.

The reason Andrew11 could submit a lower score than 30 is because the Win '98/ME version I made lets you submit any score higher than 1 That was meant for testing and I forgot to take it out. Nevertheless, my server will now give a message if the score is under 30 and won't let anyone proceed past that point.

The being said, I'm working on WordTris 1.5 right now. I have optimized some of the code and fixed these bugs:

- Red block sometimes acts as wildcard.
- Next letter begins falling in left quadrant on new turn, no matter what.

@Spooky - I appreciate your finding me the word lists, but I implemented the Scrabble dictionary and, since the word list is over twice the size of the current one, it took too long for each turn to come to pass. :-| I feel the only way to get the real speed is to do this game in C++. If you or anyone can find a wordlist without acronyms and names, being around 30,000 words, please let me know

Any other features anyone?

I'm thinking of animating the sprites.

Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2004 00:21
it might be worth checking your search algorithm to make it the most efficient.

Also watch out for loops that aren't for/next as they can cause a slowdown - see the bug reports for info on that.

looking forward to 1.5

If it ain't broke - try harder.
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2004 01:26
I feel your pain. I am amazed you got it going as fast as it is now as I know DB is not too hot with strings and your game must do a hell of a lot of checking.

I think I might tinker with a word game soon but can not think of an original idea yet.

Boo!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2004 23:05
Hey everyone,

WordTris 1.5 is ready to be downloaded!

There are no major differences--- just lots of code optimization and a few changes. First of all, the new pieces always appear in the same 'x' coordinate as the last piece that fell, so it's easier to place the pieces where you want at high speeds.

Also, I've added a cool "shake" effect that I think you will like. Of course, you can turn the effect off if necessary, but why would you do that?

Here are the links:

http://www.automatongames.com/wordtris/WordTrisSetup.exe - Windows installer
http://www.automatongames.com/wordtris/WordTris.zip - Windows .ZIP file
http://www.automatongames.com/wordtris/WordTris-9x.zip - Win 9x/ME .ZIP file

Have fun!

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2004 02:43
Nice! I Like the shake effect.

The red block still acts as a wildcard sometimes though. Thought you fixed this...

You have a problem with your shake code. After a 'shake' the game tiles sometimes end up a pixel or two higher than before the shake. So by end of a few games, the top row of tiles is going off top of screen!

Boo!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2004 11:46
Oops! I accidentally uploaded the wrong version :p Sorry to make you have to download it again--- but the newest version is on the server now and the shake effect is fixed.

The red block bug *should* be fixed. Of course, since it was sporadic, it may take me a long time to get the right circumstances to recreate the bug. Anyways, I've played it about 5 times with the bug fixed code in there... let me know how it works out for ya

The download links are the same, once again.

1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2004 14:51
You might also consider buying an unabridged dictionay, then you'll have all the words you need.
Cavex
Years of Service
User Offline
1.5 is great!!! Keep up the good work!!!
medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2004 03:13
Great game! Very addictive

Nice work

Based on Amiga PD game Squigs. Early shots: http://www.custardsoft.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/03.png

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2004 08:58
@Cavex and Custard - Thanks for the comments! I see you two have made it to the high score list--- congrats

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2004 09:26
I gotta get on that list

Jeku - how's the ROBOI project going?

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2004 19:04
@walaber - ROBOI's coming along pretty fine, thanks The major time constraints I find is in designing the levels and trying to find a 2D artist. It's my #1 coding priority now.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2004 05:09
sweet. that game has some serious potential!! I can't wait to fool around with the final release version!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 23:03
Hey guys, time for an update!

WordTris 2.0 is currently in development!

I'm going to be working at a large video game company at the end of the month, so I need to get learning DirectX using C++. Since WordTris has been downloaded over 6,000 times in two weeks (surprising!), I thought what better game to remake in 3D than WordTris?

I have to say the game looks very cool with 3D blocks using individual letter textures so far, seeing as how it's my first *real* DirectX game I will be using much of the logic from 1.5 so the difficulties will be with graphics.

Anyways, for 2.0 I have scrapped the current crappy wordlist in favour of the official Scrabble dictionary, which has over 70,000 words! Since I will be using C++ it should be blazingly fast and should work on more computers. The game will also be using weighted letters ala Scrabble, so the most common letters will fall more often than your Z's and X's. Also, I've decided to have a 'U' always fall after a 'Q'.

The online high score database will be revised to allow for both 1.5 and 2.0 high scores. I will address and correct most, if not all, of the ways people can cheat currently I'm glad that 99.9% of the players have been honest so far

I will post screenshots in a few days if I have anything pretty for you guys.

One more thing: I'm not sure if I should still be posting updates here since it's not a DBP project anymore. In that case, I am using my website for updates. Sorry if I'm offending the mods, but here's the link: http://www.automatongames.com/wordtris/

ROBOI is currently in hiatus while I try and find an artist.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 11:23
I think this thread should be stickied Very cool game, but hard... I'm still trying to get on the scoreboard...

The guy making The Old Remedy - coming May 2004 : 35% completed! Visit [href] http://www.ddrw.dbspot.com [/href] for the demo!
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 23:54 Edited at: 4th Apr 2004 23:55
Very annoying
you wait ages for a "y" and then two come at once

I'm Right and Reality is lying
Secret Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 00:50
Yawn......So bored of that game......

No, just because I eat haggis does'nt mean I'm from Scotland!
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 01:43 Edited at: 5th Apr 2004 03:10
yaaay, now we get to flame you again.
YOU SUCK

Sorry but thst post does not help the author at all.
Try to say something about why it was boring, or what compelled you to play it until you were sooo bored of it

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 14:00 Edited at: 5th Apr 2004 15:44
Haggis Eater is a gay!
Ignore him Jeku, your game rules.
All in favour of banning Haggis Eater speak now!

@ Jeku: Did you know "Y" can sometimes be a vowel?
"SKY" for instance, "Y" counts as a vowel since no english word can have 3 consenants in a row.

P.S: I found a grammatical error in your signature Haggis Eater.

The guy making The Old Remedy - coming May 2004 : 50% completed! New and improved website on the way...
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 14:31
Watch the language.

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keeping it Unreal since 2004
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 15:47
BACK ON TOPIC: Really like the game Jeku, very fun

Language minded TCA.

The guy making The Old Remedy - coming May 2004 : 50% completed! New and improved website on the way...
Secret Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 20:39
Sorry, just think that the game doesn't have enough challenge level to keep one entertained.

UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 21:13 Edited at: 5th Apr 2004 21:15
lOl @ Haggis Eater
drew-you're wrong
philanthropy has 4 consonants in a row, and through has three

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 21:50
Point taken, but generally this rule applies.
Thanks for nitpicking

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2004 12:23 Edited at: 6th Apr 2004 12:23
Thanks for the good words, guys! Glad to see *most* people enjoy the challenge

I'm rewriting WordTris from scratch using C++/Direct3D. I've ditched the crappy word list with all the acronyms, and have replaced it with the official Scrabble dictionary (mucho thanks to Spooky for the great find!)

Also, the letters will be weighted, ala Scrabble. Once again, this means all the most common will fall, well, more commonly! And I am thinking of making a 'U' always fall after a 'Q'.

Since it's in pure C++ code, it shouldn't be slow. I ran a beta on my fiance's computer the other night, and it ran great on her 500MHz. Another cool thing is it's in 3D!

Anyways, I've posted some screenshots below. Please note that this is just about a week in development, and it's my first DirectX game (using C++), so I'm still learning the in's and out's Also, the version shown doesn't have weighted letters, hence all the Q's etc. Please let me know what you think!

Mods, please let me know whether it's ok or not to continue an old DBP post even though the game's being rewritten in C++! Thanks

- Jeku

Secret Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2004 15:02
I think it's fine! After all, it's basically the same game, only with changes, right? And this new version looks SO much more interesting than the old one! No one can beat the Scrabble dictionary!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 14:40:10
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 14:40:10