Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Maxman - 2D Pacman variant - and my first ever DB Pro game..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2004 23:58 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2004 02:27
I am pleased to announce the completion of my first ever DBPro game - it's called "Maxman", and with a name like that, you can pretty much conclude it's a Pac Man clone.

It isn't "pure" Pac Man - it has the eater, the four ghosts, pills and power pills, but as a joke for some colleagues, there are some alternative goodies to replace the fruit.

The game can be downloaded from here :

http://www.skgpl.co.uk/DBPro/Maxman/setup.exe

A few things :

Performance

Although it works great on my own laptop, and the other PC I have around the house, both these PCs are over 1400 mhz so I am not sure how this is going to go on a lower spec PC.

The Mazes

The mazes are made up of a bitmap file representing the maze graphically, and a text file (extension of .maz) which contains the "1s and 0s" for the maze - there are only three different mazes with this version, but they cycle forever.

The AI

The AI is pretty basic - some "homing in" does take place but it isn't tweaked to make it very hard - that said, the randomness of the movement does make it harder than it may sound - I have coded it so the ghosts will never reverse unless in a cul-de-sac situation - which only occurs at the beginning of the game when three of the ghosts are in their cell.

What's with the beer?

Well, I made this for fun, and there's a bloke who I work with who is a little out there - he belches all the time, he lives on Red Bull and carries a can of Lynx around with him - so a lot of the game was dedicated to this guy - or rather the laugh we have at his expense!

But seriously, I wanted this to be "like" Pac Man but have it's own little gimmick - the Carlsberg Special Brew, for example, will not only slow your player down, it will reverse the directions! So it's like having an extra ghost in the maze when this appears making it even more challenging.

The game's level does dictate how often the nice objects appear, like the Lynx can which can be used to reset the ghosts if they back you in a corner, and how often the nasty objects appear (the Special Brew and the Stella Artois).

The Red Bull makes your player super fast - too fast to control in some circumstances in fact!

Collision Detection

Until I get used to DBPro, I have avoided the sprite collision detection as I found it way too slow - but it was perhaps the way I was using it - but that aside, collision detection is based on grids initially, but there is some leway allowing a ghost to be touching the player without a collision being triggered - this allows those close pursuits to occur and the player will be able to turn and not get tagged - but not too close....

Thanks go to..

Cattle Rustler for introducing me to Inno Setup - you was right it is a cracking freebie

Edited to remove typos!
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2004 14:05
I just noticed that the desktop shortcut created by the game doesn't contain the "start folder" and thus doesn't pick up the media - running it from the installed folder works though.

D Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2004 01:43
That's really fun.
I have to admit, I loved PacMan .

God is real, unless declared integer.
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2004 01:51
Thanks a lot for having a look and for your comment. Appreciated.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2004 02:28
really nice job!!! I assume this is your first DBPro game, not your first game ever? it's really slick!!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2004 02:42
Thanks for looking and the comments.

Yes, it is my first DBPro game, but I have written games in other similarly high level languages - including the original Dark Basic.

I just need to get into this 3D thing now I've scratched that Pac Man itch (which I get whenever I get a new programming language to play with )

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2004 05:12
cool... 3D with DBPro is amazingly easy to get into... you shouldn't have any trouble.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 19:22:03
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 19:22:03