Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / * Demo * The Old Remedy 3D Skateboarding

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 13:43 Edited at: 30th Mar 2004 22:29
Demo URL: http://www.ddrw.dbspot.com/TORDemo.zip
Size: 2mb

Demo URL (Again): http://www.ddrw.dbspot.com/TORDemo.zip
Size (Again): 2mb

The full game should be out in May 2004. Comments much appreciated. The graphics and sound are low quality for the demo version.

EDIT: The models are taken from Disobey skateboarding, just temporary until Yellow finishes the real ones. Credit to Trans - Disobey 3D models...

The guy making The Old Remedy - coming May 2004 : 35% completed! Visit [href] http://www.ddrw.dbspot.com [/href] for the demo!
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 18:21 Edited at: 30th Mar 2004 22:29

The guy making The Old Remedy - coming May 2004 : 35% completed! Visit [href] http://www.ddrw.dbspot.com [/href] for the demo!
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 19:41
It's really good. But maybe you sould work on the voice acting. Try memorizing your lines (then you you won't have to stop and ... um... find yourself).

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 18:44
Post screen shots if you want more people to be interested in this. I personally don't have time to download and run every ZIP file that gets announced here - a screen shot (or three) would sway me one way or the other.

Cheers,

Rich

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2004 22:24 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2004 00:30
EDITED

URL http://www.ddrw.dbspot.com/TORDemo.zip
Size A mere 2mb

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 00:29 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2004 14:06
Incidently, this game will be free when released.

ESC_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 01:11
The demo definatly deserves some more replies
Really quite nice. Felt pretty nice and look pretty good too. The ollie animation was nice, though his stance looks a little odd, and he doesn't move with the turns. Also, are there any other tricks besides ollies in, and how do you grind that low rail? Nice stuff, though

Yo quiero ser anarquia
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 03:50
nice update of your original demo. I agree that the voice acting is a little stilted. even if it's "supposed" to be that way, it sounds kind of strange.

otherwise the game is really nice. I'd like to see some more moves available!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 10:59 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2004 13:49
The game includes tricks, heres the controls;

SPACE: Ollie
RETURN: Shovit ( while in ollie )
SHIFT: Kickflip ( while in ollie )
CTRL: Grind, when near rail

Thanks for the feedback. I will post level 2 soon. The game is going well, I've completed 2 levels and only have 2 more to go. I've also finished the level editor! Right now the full game ZIP's to about 10mb, fully compressed in every way possible which is a shame as I don't think many people have the time for a 10mb file. ( The full thing will probably be more like 25 or 30mb )

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 11:26
I personally have a fast connection, so 30mb is no problem. I look forward to trying out the finished version!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 11:46
wow! I love skateobard!!
can skate all day.. when I am to tired to use DarkBASIC ofcourse..
but I think you should do something with the controls... I think it is great, yes! but It would be alot easier to do tricks if you make it like THPS for the PC...

space=ollie (hold to crouch release to ollie)
c=flip (c+arrow keys, when in air)
v=grind (v+arrow keys, when in air)
b=grab (b+arrow keys, when in air)

or you could have other keys
like s,d,f or something

Thief 3 : Deadly Shadows, The BEST game in the WORLD!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 12:32
Don't be disheartened Drew - the most likely reason that you have so few replies is probably because of the difficulty in creating a skateboarding game, usually DB skateboarding games are disapointing and rarely make it into complete games. It is great to see people even attempting this type of game though, I hope you finish it.

Looks cool, and I'm a massive fan of the Tony Hawks series - will download and try it out tonight.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Magpie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 12:40
From the screenshots I can see that this demo is a result of much hard work on you part Drew. Not currently on a computer I own though, so I'll download it later. It's nice to see an underrepresented genre being given a homage it deserves.

Dead against necromancy...
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 12:55
Pretty good!

Pros:

. Different sounds depending on what type of ground you are on. Nice!
. Nice, fast and smooth
. Reflection effect for water is very good
. Nice rain

Cons:

. Speech is horrid
. Need some clever camera code so when you go near map edges and turn around the camera does not go through the walls and show you a blank screen
. Too easy to just stay in same place and hold down shift and space to finish level
. Go really slow through ramp and you take off into space finishing level immediately

Keep up the good work - look forward to see more levels.

Boo!
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 14:10 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2004 13:50
Right, improvements so far

- Fix Camera Collision on walls
- Fix doing same trick over and over: ( I'll asign the trick less -points each time you do it, and if you do it to many times
eventually you will start loosing points for cheesing

- Fix ramp bug ( already done that )
- More controls / additional control scheme

You may also like to know that the game works fully with a joypad!

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2004 15:51
Another tip to help reduce file size for downloading:

After creating zip file, delete all the files called 'thumbs.db' that winXP creates when doing a thumbnail view. This will reduce your files size by couple hundred KB.

Boo!
Soul blister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 07:26 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2004 07:35
ok a quick review of your demo..

first off i see this game going somewhere and second i see it failing.. here is why

as a game creator and a Skateboarder i will give you CREATIVE CRITICISM and postive remarks as well here goes..

negative remark:
first off the level looks horrid its a eye sore ..you should put more detial into it ...geometry, lighting, make walk ways , make it look like a school level and not a room with building sprites

postive remark: The rain and the cutscene camera were very good...i liked the widescreen effect.

negative remark:
Use a model for martian the sprite looked horrid ..also the main player model didn't fit the scene to well. it looked outta place like he should have been in the simpsons skateboarding game other than this one.

The sounds need to be redone, memorize your lines..add music..dont worry about file size alot of people have dsl..and if the demo is really worth it 56k users will find a way to download your demo.

your textures are offset work with them more.

Impressing martin: as a skateboarder i gotta say a kickflip, shove it, and a simple grind would not impress me. make objects for them to kickflip over, maybe a gap or two or a set of stairs..

grinding was nice but you should make the transition into the grind more smooth and not just let the camera automatically jump into the grind( as in suddenly appear on the rail)

postive remark: The Animations were very nice, the tricks were smooth.

Here is a bit of advice and most game companys from indie's to big wigs like EA games will tell you.. a demo will sell your game.. Create a Demo that will lure someone to buy your product..

my suggestion to you would be to recreate the level and add more detial i promise you , when you release this game people will buy it.

i dont work with darkbasic to often still learning the laungage but i have been doing level design for years.. im telling you all this because i see you doing really well with your game.. just take the tips people give you and try to improve , improvement always looks better in the end..

i use the Acknex Engine also known as 3d game studio.. here is a screen shot of one of my older games i created its a simple hall..but look at how i worked with the Geometry ...i really think you can do something with your demo if you work to improve your level..if you need any help with the levels let me know.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/klockwerkk/shot_3.jpg
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 13:48 Edited at: 4th Apr 2004 00:50
Insults retracted for fear of punishment.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 15:30
Drew, I must say, I like this game, so far.

But, when people offer advice, or critisize your work, you need to take that as a compliment, or as help... As it allows you to pick out the floors in your work that you may have over-looked.

Please be more mindfull of your comments in the future

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
One Common Ruin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 16:21
I really liked this game. It is awesome, but I do think you should use a level editor. This will make the game look more professional. The sounds do sound pretty good, except for the voice acting but everything else looked good . I would also suggest doing a point total(similar to THPS) and something that will tell the trick your doing and give you points for how long you do that trick (similar to THPS). Otherwise this game is perfect. Can't wait till the next demo.

Zink
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 18:18
@ Jessticular: That Sould Blister guy ripped apart everything in the demo. That's not helping, that's just him being a dick.

I have taken all the helpful suggestions and implemented them, thanks everyone else and Soul Blisters comments about the skater looking out of place have been taken on board too. It just annoys me to see him rip the demo apart like that.

@Zink: Yes, that is already in the free skate version of the levels.

Thanks for the *helpful* feedback so far.

Soul blister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 19:18 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2004 19:28
as for it being free, why did you put a Pre-Order statement on your splash screen?

i picked apart your level to help you out. not to be a dick.. its called "Helping you Out". You got the programming skills to create the game.. i just thought you needed alittle help with the actual level.. but since you don't want any advice, then so be it.

ya i'm not a skateboarder man, you saw straight through me.i just carry a piece of wood with two trucks and 4 wheels around town with me.

p.s. what i mean by geometry...is this.. use a level editor to actually build recreate the school in 3d form.. create details like windows,pillers, stairs, railings, gaps... dont get me wrong Drew..i wasn't trying to be dick.. just try to help someone out..and if i come on to harsh its only because fellow game creators were that way with me when i started creating games in Game studio..and you know it worked i paid more attention to the small things .
Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 19:38
Drew, I think you were being a bit harsh on Soul Blister.

I think that was contructive, not insulting.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 20:15 Edited at: 4th Apr 2004 00:46
Good point about the Preorder - that was meant to be changed. Rest is being taken on board but I have no current plans to change the level, it is only the first level and the levels get more complex after that.

As for being harsh - please accept my naive and humble apology Soul Blister - thanks anyway.

Anyway; I won't post a new demo or anything, but thought you'd like to that;

[b] - The game now features full collision for the camera.
- New textures for main skater to make him fit in more.
- Bug fixes including ramp bug
- Improved Martin AI - each trick is assigned an Impress# variable which increments less and less each time. Eventually Martin starts to become unimpressed if you cheese and do the same move. It may sound simple but it works. Mutlipliying factors have been added to Martin AI as well ( speed etc... ).
- The free skate mode score counter has been updated, but not quite finshed.
- Level editor nearly done and now has 4 objects for the user to place and then skate: Kickers, rails and barriers ( Horizontal and vertical )
- Level 2 demo coming in a few days and will be packaged with a beta of the the level editor.

Soul blister
Years of Service
User Offline
Drew i apologize as well... after rereading my post i know i shouldnt have said what i said in such a harsh way..so please accept my apologies as well.

Question: will the finished product have a multi-player option?
Soul blister
Years of Service
User Offline
By the way...about the royalty music thing..i dont know if you have tried it or not but there is a program called acid pro ( kinda expensive ,but easy to use) that allows you to create loop based techno,rock,metal,jazz,dance, hip hop.

they offer a free version of the program called Acid Express. you can find thousands of Free Royalty free loops all over the net to mix into your songs..

acidplanet.com also gives free loops out all the time..

if you know about this program ignore this post if you dont know about it then go check it out.. it will be worth it.
if you dont like acid pro there is other loop based programs.

let me know if you need any help finding resources for songs or whatever.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 13:58
REPLY: I'm looking into E-jay.co.uk already

ANSWER: Multiplayer, probably yes, but not the kind you would expect... more to come!

Level editor is my current priority.

The guy making The Old Remedy - coming May 2004 : 50% completed! New and improved website on the way...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-13 17:53:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-13 17:53:34