Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Particle Studio 1.0 Released! - Come and get it!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
It's finished! Here is particle studio for you all to play with. I need you all to download it, try and break it, see if its of any use to you, and help me improve it.
Let me know what you think.

Instructions: play with the settings, use 'AndyLife' to model explosions (make sure the particles are turned off, and the frequency is not zero).

Download it here:
http://www.enigmatekuk.com/SOR4/ParticleStudioDemo.zip

Here's a screenshot:
Rye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2004 17:35 Edited at: 29th Mar 2004 17:37
Downloading Now...

Done!

Hmm runs a bit fast, Chaos increases/decreases by 1, could do with 0.001 instead. And the variables reset button rotates the view.

Other than that its quite good, saves a lot of time guessing numbers when creating particles.
Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool, fixed those. The camera rotate was a redundant sub, and I've knocked chaos down a couple of decimal places, and also the speed. So you can now make it slower.

When I get the time, I'll add a feature to change the image - to pick one from a library. Also a set of presets like explosions, fire etc would be handy.

If anyone plays around and makes something worth saving as a preset, then list all the variables / settings and I will add them that way.

Hope you like the program
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks nice but a nice looking polished gui would make it all that much easer to navigate and much more appealing and proffesional looking.

[href]www.vapourhost.com/~flyer[/href]
Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
What do you mean? what would you want it to look like? Give me some examples and I'll see what I can do.
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 03:30
hmm very usefull app... though I have a question. I am new to particles (never touched them untill recently) and am tring to figure out how to make basicly a half circle particle.. is that even possible? Or would i have to make multiple particles to make half a circle? I am tring to do this to make a solar flare effect (and making a bitmap tied to the sun looking at camera doesnt cut the effects i want) and particles seem the best route... if by chance particles can do half a circle... how would I create that in your app? Tried... and failed... :/... anyways thanks

*Sorry for the question in this topic but figured be the best place/time to ask this type of question *

Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
Interesting idea; not sure on this, try rotating the particles, then set gravity really high, you might get a bit of an arc if you try hard enough. Otherwise, it will have to be a little script that positions the particle emissions round the semicircle. That’s just a quick bit of trig. As the emissions move round the arc, the particle trail will follow. It could make quite a nice bit of eye candy.
If I get the time, I might try and do this for you, will add the 'DarkSin' button, but gimme some time, no promises.
I’m glad people like the program, although I was hoping for a few more posts. If people think it is good enough now for public consumption, I'll enable the export function and unleash this little app's full potential.
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 12:29 Edited at: 31st Mar 2004 12:32
Really cool app and saves me from writing my own . My only gripe is that the andylife function only works once and then you have to restart the app to get particles to work again, thus losing all data. Did u forget to reset the andy-timer when you turn particles off or something?

Be cool is you could save and choose your own image to use too (instead of replacing the one in the directory every time you want to change it).

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL, silly, andylife needs to be set while the particle stream is off. just turn the particles off, then set andylife, then turn them on to see it go again. Also the frequency gets set to zero, so you need to knock that up after you use the andylife thing. Let me know how you get on.
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2004 13:09
Oh, the frequency gets reset to 0. Makes sense now I think about it. Yep works great.

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 03:05 Edited at: 1st Apr 2004 03:05
Sweet thanks for if anything the thought Andy ... im gonna "attempt" this on my own hardcoded..not sure how succesfull ill be if yea do get a script working then i will definitly be in your dept...

Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2004 07:23
I haven't downloaded it, but are you able to import and assign images to the particles? Looks good so far though. Polish up the GUI a bit and you got a really nice (already useful) application on your hands.

Quote: " Timesoft - Your wife is death. How? NO idea.
But it is murder. REVENGE!!!!!!!!!"

Hands down the funniest synopsis for a game ever. All your base are belong to us!
Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
That will be in the next build. You can change the image by going into the particles folder and replacing the standard image for now.

Everyone keeps saying polish the GUI? How? what would you want polishing? Let me know so I can do it.

And Tapewormz - Damn fine tat.
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 00:31
I think they mean you should copy the Blue GDI. Look´s interesting. downloading now...This should be fun(Sure beats trying to find a bug I´ve got in my game anyway)

Libera tu mente y te liberaras a ti.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 00:46 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2004 00:48
its very nice,

but ran about 3 fps on my comp, i guess its my ati radeon 7000 series :-P, the results looked good, but as said before the gui needs to be designed better apart from that ots some usefull stuff

[img]http://www.posergallery.com/wip/20040402-darkcoder16525.gif
[/img]
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 23:55
I´ve had a muck around with it. I couldn´t do much though as it decided to go at an extremly poor frame rate. I´ve got a Radeon 9600 pro 256mb. Isn´t that enough for partical effects?

Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
Myou set the frequency too high. That will nuke any graphic card's frame rate. My 5600FX gets choppy after a frequency of about 20. Increase the radius for a more full particle effect, not the frequency, thats probably the best idea. Let me know how you get on. also let me know what frame rate your graphic cards start giving up.
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 01:31
Quote: "Everyone keeps saying polish the GUI? How? what would you want polishing? Let me know so I can do it."

Prettier icons to click on.

Quote: " Timesoft - Your wife is death. How? NO idea.
But it is murder. REVENGE!!!!!!!!!"

Hands down the funniest synopsis for a game ever. All your base are belong to us!
guru of boredom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 04:21
try looking at the blue gui plugin. that will make it look "windowsy". haha

if u need help with any math tell me.

we are not outnumbered! we are just in a target rich enviroment!
P4 2.4 ghz 120 GB 256 mb GeForce4
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 13:26
Being able to change the colors would be nice

Dark Basic Pro - The Bedroom Coder's Language of choice for the 21st Century.
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 15:14
Make the backdrop black too.

Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
well thats no problem. If anyone is in the market for a quick project, why not edit the picture files for me and I will put them straight in! I will make the backround colour fully changeable and do all the other bits I promised when I have the time. Right now I'm putting all my effort in to Streets of Rage 4, and it's looking fantastic. Check it out if you want:

http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=27189&b=1

http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=27505&b=9
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 04:33
does this work with DBC?

P4 3.2Ghz/Alienware area 51/radeon 9800 pro 256mb/sound blaster audigy 2/5.1 surround sound speakers.
Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
In a word...no I'm afraid mate. It is a standalone executable that serves as a demo of the particle engine in DBPro, and eventually will export code for puttingthe particles in a DBPro game. If you are still using classic then I would more than reccomend you take the leap to pro, yes there's been bugs, but its getting a lot better.
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 13:28 Edited at: 7th Apr 2004 13:30
I´ve had another go. I can´t see an otion with the frame rate but it goes choppy just leaving it running on default settings for a few seconds. It´s probaly because I´m downloading stuff at the same time. Partical Studio is quite cpu intensive. My poor athlon2000 jumps to 100% on practicaly any setting.

Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
I think the second camera view for rotating the particles slows it down quite a lot . I have an athlon 2100 and seems to run ok unless you put the frequency up a lot. Just keep stopping the flow, then putting the frequency down, then trying again.

Do you people want the expert feature enabled? Is it no use as a tool?
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 18:42
I´ve tried it without being online and downloading stuff and it works fine.
If you add that image libary and those presets you mentioned then I´d definetly want the export particals enabled.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 20:26:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 20:26:18