Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Retro Game Remake : Bruce Lee

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 01:05
I've started work on this classic game - first working screenshot :

Here's the original Commodore 64 game screen :

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 01:18
At last. A Bruce Lee game in Dark Basic. Yay! Can´t wait for you to finish this.

Libera tu mente y te liberaras a ti.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 01:42
loooool
can't wait too

I remind when I played that game on an ATARI 130XE

! Oldies powa !!!!!!!

Retro Addict
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 16:29
Very nice. Looking forward to a playable demo. I played the C64 version for hours on in. Makes me want to break out the old C64 again....It's still here....somewhere...

PC Specs: AMD 1800+ 256M DDR, Geforce MX440 - DB v1.13

To DB or not to DB............duh DB!
xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 17:46
Looks great. Nice update on the graphics.
comando 300
Years of Service
User Offline
What's the objective of the game?

CURRENT PROJECT: RETRO PAC-MAN
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2004 21:30 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2004 23:30
Cheers fellas - I hope to have something playable very soon

comando - the game is a platforms and ladders game featuring 20 screens each with basic puzzles to solve (which are all solved by collecting lanterns).

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 04:33 Edited at: 4th Apr 2004 04:35
Some more screenshots of the game's movement model in action - bare in mind the goal here is to make it play exactly like the original Commodore 64 version - although there is a certain amount of leeway with the graphics themselves.

All the player sprite images have been shrunk from 50 x 50 to 40 x 40 so some odd jaggies as a result - these will of course be re-drawn.

Also the level has been re-drawn from the original screenshot featured - the original's screen resolution of 320 x 190 didn't fit so well into my 640 x 480 so I have altered the image - but this is not going to be the final level graphic - it's just a prototype.

Figure 1 - player running - 10 frames of animation used for the run which is in fact in excess of the original which probably only had two frames!

Figure 2 - player jumping - this still needs tweaking but it's almost there.

Figure 3 - climbing - the climbing animation currently has four frames which is two more than the original game had - the time it takes the player to climb to the top of this scramble net is a little shorter than the original so tweaking in progress.

Figure 4 - falling - falls at about the same speed as the original version.

Figure 5 - the classic Jean Claude Van Damme splits (the original version just had the player lying down - will see if the splits option is still okay when we come to the level where ducking is required - may be scrapped for the crap-looking player lying down graphic instead sadly.

Figure 6 - punching - only a single frame here (as is the original) but might have to alter this graphic a little to have the punch more shoulder level (like the original).

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 07:57
hehe nice, my brother and I used to fight over this game as well as spy vs spy. I was always the yamo annoying bruces quest to complete the game.

fall down seven times, stand up eight
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 14:18
lol!!! Excellent

medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 23:04
Hey, I was playing this a few months ago. Cool game!
Your version looks great. The new gfx seem to work really well. Nice work.

Hurry up with that demo now!

Based on Amiga PD game Squigs. Early shots: http://www.custardsoft.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/03.png

Secret Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 23:29
Ummm....Sorry if you think this is critical but....Shouldn't you go for something more spectacular in a remake, like using 3d? You can do whatever you want with this game, but I was just making a suggestion.....

No, just because I eat haggis does'nt mean I'm from Scotland!
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2004 23:50
the original game was 8 or 16 colors and under 3200x200 or something like this ..... if someone make a good remake in 16bits mode in 640x480 for example, I think it can be something spectacular too

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 02:10
It's an interesting point made up there by Haggis but my answer is simply the aim of this remake is to emulate the original as much as possible - obviously I don't want to include the original blocky graphics so I have drawn new ones but the screen resolution is 640 x 480 - double the original - so hopefully it will be instantly recognisable to those that used to play it despite the overhaul.

I have sourced the orginal sound effects though

Here's a working demo of the movement model in action - it's only one screen but the collision detection e.t.c. on the various platforms needed to be finalised before I begin the other screens.

http://www.skgpl.co.uk/DBPro/BruceLeeDemo.zip
Unzip into it's own folder and run the exe

The arrow keys control the player - with CTRL being the "fire" button (either CTRL key will work).

The moves are as follows :

Up = Jump Up
Down = Duck
Left = Run Left
Right = Run Right
Up & Left = Jump Left
Up & Right = Jump Right
Fire = Punch
Fire & Left = Jump Kick Left
Fire & Right = Jump Kick Right

I'm particularly interested in any feedback regarding the "feel" of the game - does it feel like the original you remember - not so much how it looks.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Never played the original, never seen it before. You have done a good job of keeping the look of the original game. I would prefer a slightly larger main character because I think he is less stocky than the original, but apart from that it looks really good, and I want to try it out.

Pincho.

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 02:19 Edited at: 5th Apr 2004 02:27
Yes the main character although the same dimesions looks a little too slim now for the game - I may have to have a rethink on how I want this guy to look but that's not a big change really if I stick to the same animation frames.

I have redrawn the frames since those screenshots making more use of the cell space so it looks a little more in keeping now.

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 03:01 Edited at: 5th Apr 2004 03:03
Quote: "Freddix:
the original game was 8 or 16 colors and under 3200x200+ or something like this ..... if someone make a good remake in 16bits mode in 640x480 for example, I think it can be something spectacular too
"

I would LOVE to see that ATARI 130XE

Quote: "
UPDATED

Amd 2800+ 1024mb pc3200 A7N8X - Deluxe Ati Radeon 9800PRO 256mb
"
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 03:21
@ emperor baal : loool a small error , in fact 320x240 ....

@ ScouseKnight : Excellent beginning except 1 thing ... I found the player to run a bit to faster ... but others things are good

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 03:28
Cheers Freddix.

I just tried the original again :

4.5 seconds for the player to run the entire width of the screen
6 seconds for the player to scale the scramble net.

I'm half a second out on those timings so well spotted.

Thanks a lot

medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 03:29
Hi, this is great! I agree with Freddix about the running speed, but apart from that its all great. Nice work

I’m looking forward to seeing more of this game

Based on Amiga PD game Squigs. Early shots: http://www.custardsoft.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/03.png

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 03:35
I've tweaked the running and climbing to make it a little slower - try re-downloading and re-running it now.

Seems okay now but then it did before so it's a case of fresh eye on things!

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The speed of everything seems perfect now. Can't fault it.

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 03:59
I found a problem, the game will freeze when you rapidly press CTRL and left|right arrow keys. It will "hang" at a certain frame

Quote: "
UPDATED

Amd 2800+ 1024mb pc3200 A7N8X - Deluxe Ati Radeon 9800PRO 256mb
"
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 04:05 Edited at: 5th Apr 2004 04:11
Cheers fellas.

Emperor Baal - I just triggered that one myself thanks for the heads-up.

Off to bed now though - damn work in the morning always interferes with my pleasure

Edit : Fixed that frame hang problem - new version uploaded and ready for download.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 16:27
very nice demo, played the original for years on a c64. felt the same things from the original as i did with this demo. all the things are in place include the climbing and jumping combinations. like the splits for ducking

fall down seven times, stand up eight
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 18:22
cool waiting to see some enemies to punch and kick

Secret Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 18:36
Gotcha, Knight. I thought you were going for a retro remake, not an emulation. If you're going for an emulation, then this is looking awesome! Keep it up!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 18:44
Cool! - probably my all-time favourite platform game, some of those later screen were really tough, but it was the type of game that you'd practice until you mastered every screen. When my bro and I would play, we'd take turns at beating up the little ninja dude a flying kick to the chops to knock him into a trap was usually enough.

There was a Blitz remake a while ago that was really an exact copy of the original, used the same graphics - in fact if you want to rip the graphics for reference, you'd probably save a lot of time by nabbing the Blitz version and getting the already-ripped gfx from that. Just check the Blitzcoder showcase.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Secret Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 18:52
The movement in the demo is very fluid, almost like you're Bruce Lee himself. When do you think that a demo with baddies and various parts will be avaible? This project sounds very interesting.

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2004 19:26
Van B : Yes I have the Blitz version - it runs a little faster than the original C64 version - I thought about bringing in everything as per the original exactly but the temptation to make the graphics a little more hi-res got the better of me - I do have the original graphics as reference points.

Haggis Eater : I'm working on the putting the Ninja in now - as soon as this is complete, and the Yamo is in there too, I'll post another demo.

Cheers for the encouragement - I might just finish this one

medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2004 00:20
The speed is much better now.

Just curious - will you be adding any bonus levels of your own design, or are you wanting to keep to the original?

Cheers

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2004 00:35
I like the sound of some bonus levels - I was thinking of having it play in "classic" mode where everything just behaves like the original, and having another mode which will have sound samples from the movies, and of course this leaves it open for bonus levels

I might have a think about level tiling instead of knocking the levels up in Paint Shop Pro which I do now - this then leaves level creating an option too for the end user - I think I have the collision detection with background working nice (well, I cheat - I use array-based collisions for all the floors and ladders, and leave the sprite collision only for the player and enemies).

Thanks for the feedback - pleased the movement model is behaving like it should - and of course once it works for the player it's going to work for the other characters in the game too

Secret Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2004 00:37
I like the sound of two different modes. There is nothing better that I like to see than an updated classic with both the origional and new type there.

medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2004 01:04
Sounds cool.
For me this is the most exciting db project at the moment

Cheers

Secret Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2004 01:06
For me, this is the second most anticipated release. The first is the Starfox game.

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2004 18:47 Edited at: 6th Apr 2004 18:48
OK fellas I have some of the combat model in place now - so there's the little ninja fella to kick ten shades out of

I've put together a simple webpage for it :

http://www.scouseknight.com/brucelee will go straight to the project page for Bruce Lee.

There are some bugs in the code still - the ninja will travel straight through the floor I just noticed if he is punched as he is landing - it's happened to me once anyway - working on that now

Secret Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2004 18:52
I don't see the download.

Boombox Central!
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2004 19:07 Edited at: 6th Apr 2004 19:19
Try it now - it was still in the throes of uploading when I pressed send button to post (I pressed it by mistake - doh!) - I think I sorted the bug out too but stress testing will see.

Edit : I've put in a big "download now" icon too - it was rather unclear where to download it from if I was honest :/

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 00:38 Edited at: 7th Apr 2004 01:24
OK more updates - the Green Yamo is now in the game - and a playable combat/movement demo is available from :

http://www.scouseknight.com/brucelee

Two new screens :

Figure 1 : Bruce is chased into the corner by the Ninja and the Green Yamo.

Figure 2 : Bruce has to duck to avoid the Green Yamo's lethal jump kick

The Ninja and the Green Yamo will hit each other if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time, they will fall on each other, and they will go for Bruce like a bull to a red rag

Edit : A few problems with the archive - should be okay now - missing sound file and I hadn't refreshed the graphic files - apologies for inconvenience.

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 01:47 Edited at: 7th Apr 2004 01:48
A few more tweaks made :

Characters falling on each other have been adjusted so they only cause damage if they are actually falling and not just close by and higher (oops!)

Timer added to stop Yamo from punching like a machine gun when he gets you in a corner!

Timer added to stop Yamo from repeatedly jump kicking you.

Uploaded updated version - link above still applies.

I think the Yamo moves a little too fast in this version - what do you fellas think?

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Next level, next level, must have more!

medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 03:34
It’s good to see the game progressing well

I think maybe Yamo is a bit too fast. The ninja seems ok though.

I’ve been playing the original (your game got me in the mood for some Bruce lee action!) and these are some things I’ve noticed:

When you attack the opponent they should be sent flying a bit farther.
Full extension on the kick when you hit your opponent.
The characters should stay down for a short time.
Take a step between kicks when running.

Cheers

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 04:31
Cheers Custard.

I put some code in to stop kicks and punches from happening immediately following a kick or punch so hopefully the first issue is resolved.

I'll get cracking on the other parts - thanks for the pointers.

Watch this space for an update - as soon as this part is right I can move on to lantern collection which then moves onto the other levels

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 04:46 Edited at: 7th Apr 2004 05:16
I have made the following changes :

1) Distance hit characters slide on their backsides has been increased.

2) Kicks are no longer stopped as soon as contact is made.

3) Hit characters will stay down for 1 second before getting up after they finish sliding.

4) Kicks are not permitted in quick succession - a few frames of running must take place, or a second, whichever is sooner - before a kick is allowed again.

5) Characters kicked or punched whilst falling will continue to descend and will be pushed in the direction of the strike.

6) Green Yamo has been slowed down but is still marginally quicker than the ninja.

I have tweaked the collision detection on the kicks too - I noticed there was a few pixels gap between the foot and the body when the kicks were being registered - this has been sorted now.

Umpalumpa
Years of Service
User Offline
nice game but while i was just playing the original i noticed the ninja has to be hit 2 or 3 times with kicks and punchs while in your version the ninja is killed after 1 kick other than that great game
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2004 22:02 Edited at: 7th Apr 2004 22:13
You're right - I had assumed the ninja goes down with one kick - I'm almost ready for another upload (three levels instead of just the one this time) so I will make the kicks score two hit points instead of three which should sort the difference out.

Thanks for the info.

I've also tweaked the code when a character gets landed on - I noticed in the original the characters just go down but don't slide so I've adjusted mine to do the same.

It's amazing how much you don't realise about a game you think you know so well when you come to emulate it!!

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 04:36
More screenshots :

Figure 1 : New level graphics - closer to the originals but re-drawn still - collectable lanterns on this screen too.

Figure 2 : Illustration of combat model in action - Bruce and Yamo both kicked each other at the same time!

Figure 3 : First look at the second level - just like in the original, Bruce can jump onto the platform seperating the ladders and off again immediately.

Figure 4 : First look at the third level - more jumping and climbing on this one than the others put together.

Figure 5 : The Ninja and Yamo can climb too - well they will if they have to pass through a ladder to reach Bruce!

Figure 6 : Bruce taking evasive action as the Yamo unleashes one of his lethal jump kicks - which now have a little more height to them.

Figure 7 : Now would be a good time for Bruce to use his jump kick!

Figure 8 : Bruce will be safe when he is above the Ninja and Yamo - as per the original game.

This version of the demo used to get these screenshots is available at http://www.skgpl.co.uk/projects/brucelee/.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 13:36
wow! this game is looking better and better every day!

I'll have to give the latest build a try when I get home!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 18:12
Cheers

I've uploaded another update - I have added lanterns on all the levels currently playable, added in the original Commodore 64 intro music and put a basic front end on the proceedings.

The next level I am working on is going to be tricky - it has the moving particles and the electricity :o so I'm going to be busy!

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2004 20:58
look excellent but when I try to download latest version in your site, I get a 138ko file and Windows tell me that file is invalid or corrupted

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-12 15:03:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-12 15:03:51