Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Bruce Lee 2004

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 06:04 Edited at: 12th Apr 2004 06:05
Like a phoenix from the flames my Bruce Lee project has re-started after my unfortunate mishap.

I'm going about it a different way this time - I am truly going to provide a classic version of the game - complete with original graphics, and an enhanced version which of course will have higher resolution graphics and better sound effects.

Here's the front end menu to this end :

Figure 1 : Music dymanically changes from original Commodore 64 score to the Lalo Shifrin Enter the Dragon music when Enhanced is selected, and vice versa.

There WILL be multiplayer support as per the original with the second player taking turns to be Bruce, and when not Bruce, will control the Green Yamo.

And the first working game screens - one from "classic" and one from "enhanced" :

Figure 2 : "Classic Mode" features the original Commodore 64 visuals untouched - both versions will use the same game engine however.

Figure 3 : "Enhanced Mode" at present just has alternative sprite graphics with the orginal backgrounds made to look a little nicer.

Note the Bruce sprite has moved away from the realistic dimensions of the original pre-catastrophe version of the game I was coding - the newer chunkier graphics are easier to transpose with the classic ones for one thing - and are more in keeping with the game's look and feel.

At this stage I only have the basic movement and jumping model in place - I've had little time to spend on this with certain things going on in real life - it's certainly not going to be developed at the pace the original remake was but then I have learned a heck of a lot since so who knows..

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 06:15 Edited at: 12th Apr 2004 06:16
Someone else already started a Bruce Lee that's (that's exactly the same). Maybe you sould do something new with it, like get real pics of bruce lee and make put them in. The other bruce lee looks closer to completion to. Just saying you've got competetion. http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=29059&b=8
P.S. The other Bruce Lee looks better

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 06:24 Edited at: 12th Apr 2004 06:30
The other one was mine also (check the author ) - I lost all the source due to an unfortunate mishap with IDE.

I've just discovered now that I have just lost another five hours of work when I closed the editor, it asked me do I want to save, I said "Yes", and it f*cking didn't.

Oh well - I might just give this up as a none starter.

Edit : I found the latest version in the TEMP folder thankfully.

My new version's enhanced mode will have visuals on a par with those in the screenshots of my old and ill-fated version - right now I need to get the game engine working again - and find a reliable IDE too ....

Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 06:32
Well that was rude manticore!

@scouseknight:
Your game looks great, sorry about what happened with the code. If there is a demo soon I will try it out.

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 06:37 Edited at: 12th Apr 2004 06:38
Cheers.

The other version has a working demo (four levels - full combat e.t.c.) and can be downloaded at http://www.scouseknight.com/brucelee.

Not sure when I will have a demo version of this one ready - hopefully sooner rather than later - the game engine will be identical to the other one though as I had it almost there to be honest which makes the code loss very devastating.

Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 06:41
Can you tell me how large it is? Because I am getting DSL this friday and I can't download large ones, internet is too slow. I can wait till I get DSL to download the demo though. Well anyways I hope you fix the problem about the code soon.

BTW, what IDE were you using with the previous code? Blue IDE I suspect?

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 15:57
I was using Blue IDE - I am not blaming that for my source overwrite problem as it was ultimately my fault but on two occasions previously work had failed to save - this was the reason I was trying to split my program up so I could have working segments "cast in stone" as it where and I was only actually working on a smallish program at any one time.

However, the problem I had last night was with the built-in Darkbasic Pro editor - seems a coincidence that the saving issues have happened on two different IDEs so I must have a problem elsewhere I would think - although I cannot think what it could be.

The demo size is about 3.5 megabyte.

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 16:46
no !
I did have saving issue with Dark basic default IDE and sometimes with BLUE too ... that why I always make backup before starting a new thing in my programs

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 16:49
Well I think the bruce lee pic in the other game is better. In this one his head's to big. (Just my opinion)

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 17:45
I agree with Manticore Night about the head bieng too big. You couldn´t shink it a bit could you? Right moaning over...
Cool! Multiplayer. Can you make it use two pads or will one person have to use the keyboard? Forget that "real life" thing and get on with programing. I must play this game NOW!

Libera tu mente y te liberaras a ti.
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 18:01
I'm going to revisit the sprites as soon as I have the jumping e.t.c. back to the way it was - the game's moving well in both modes at the moment - just going to have a session on Paint Shop Pro with the graphics.

It's comforting to know others have had similar problems with the IDEs so it's not my setup - armed with the fact it can and does happen I take many precautions now before closing things down.

medwayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2004 18:27
Sorry to here about your project. Glad to see you’re bouncing back!
Best of luck with the project

I don’t know if you’ve been told this already but - Always use SAVE ALL when saving even if you have no media attached. Just make it a habit.

Based on Amiga PD game Squigs. Early shots: http://www.custardsoft.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/03.png

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 05:07
Cheers Custard been doing that since I saw your post!

I am not going to release a demo of this new version until I get at least as far as I did with the other one - I had the luxury(?) of being off work with an injury for a week during the development of the other version so I definately won't have the same time to expend on this one unless someone wants to hit my ankle with a sledgehammer or something .

I will reveal that is's going very well - movement model is already complete - combat model is in progress - and the game is smooth as silk even if I say so myself

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2004 06:05
sometimes a mishap like yours can be a blessing in disguise. as you rewrite your code, you think of all sorts of more-effecient ways to do things, and the game is generally better!

the loss of time sucks though.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Great to see the project being resurrected! Pro has some problems that I have read about before. It looses your work. Just make two seperate folders.

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 09:05
Aye I'm saving a lot more often - and copying and pasting into Notepad e.t.c. - I don't think there is such thing as overkill when it comes to program source!!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2004 13:45
Looking cool SK, glad your still working on it.

One thing - when your source goes AWOL, load the .dba file into notepad. Often the source is still there and it's just corrupted - if you find lots of obvious corruption, just delete it and you'll be able to load your source back in full. This has happend to me about 10 times, which makes me as anal with backups as yourself .

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 02:23
The combat engine is now complete (again ) as is the movement engine so I can now press on with the levels once more.

Here are some screenshots of the game's progress - those of you that questioned the chunky graphics I had in earlier shots (it was a pity you didn't see them move - they looked nice moving but I bowed to popular opinion) have been replaced by the original sprites - slightly adjusted to the larger size.

Figure 1 : The Green Yamo runs out of ground trying to chase our hero who nimbly climbs the ladder.

Figure 2: The "Classic Version" in action - more about this below

Figure 3: Slightly mis-timed jump kick as the Ninja falls from the platform above.

Figure 4: An even worse mis-timed jump kick as the Ninja descends from the platform above - this time in "Classic Mode".

RE : Classic Mode - it may seem a lot of extra effort to put in the original game too but it serves an incredibly useful purpose - it allows me to make sure the new version works the same way - one of the difficulties I had with the ill-fated version I was writing was the level spacing was sometimes not exactly the same - now it is to the very pixel - and I can go back over the graphics and make them a lot nicer retrospectively once I have the game finished.

The early version has very aggressive AI (to say the least!) so it's not ready for a demo yet - I did say I would hold back a demo until I got as far as the other one but as you can see I have lanterns already - considering I have had to take time away from the game development I think it's coming along even faster than the original version!!

Thanks for all the encouragement and sympathy e.t.c. - I'll finish this one and I'll release the source code too to anyone who wants it when the game is complete.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2004 17:43 Edited at: 15th Apr 2004 17:43
that looks good!

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Code Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 01:51
wow... pardon the lack of words, but... wow...

Dragael Software
Current Project: 2D RPG Editor (DragnEdit 2D)
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 03:13
I've got some footage from the game in action using Fraps (http://www.fraps.com) - there was a post in another thread asking about screen grabs and it reminded me I could do this!!

Here is the footage : http://www.skgpl.co.uk/movies/BruceLee.wmv

You'll probably need Windows Media Player 9 though - and it's around 1.5 megabyte in size.

It runs at under half the frame rate of the actual game (25 fps whereas the game is pitched at 60 fps) but it shows the movement and combat model off nicely - it's just over a minute long.

comando 300
Years of Service
User Offline
nice

CURRENT PROJECT: RETRO PAC-MAN
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 07:20
Excellent stuff! atleast this teaches you to back up your work its vital especially when using the official DBP IDE. Keep up the good work, its loking very nice.

Cheers Jonny

Supermonkey - The crime gifhting sex god monkey!
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2004 21:23
Quote: "wow... "

code ninja-...do i have to tell you again?

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2004 16:11 Edited at: 17th Apr 2004 16:12
@ Scouseknight : I'd like to know if it should be possible to change graphics for game because I've an idea about graphics that is in the respect of the original game but really nicer ... If you want I can make you some graphics and send them to you so you'll judge them and if you want you can use them freely in your game ( if your final game is freeware of course )

Just tell me

PS : Just for fun, retried the old Amstrad CPC6128 version yesterday and I finished it in the 1st attempt

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2004 17:24
Yes if you would that would be ace - I will e-mail you the bitmaps I am using now so you can see the tile size for each frame, and where each frame is taken from.

Thanks a lot for the offer

E-mail on it's way

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2004 17:42
received sprites ....

I'll work on them and also on background graphics

You'll see result on 2 or 3 days ...

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2004 17:45
Ooh backgrounds as well - cheers - I'll hang fire on the Credits screen ...

Dennuz666 v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2004 19:18
Played your demo, VERY GOOD!!! Keep up the good work, you are very far i can see.

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2004 19:47 Edited at: 17th Apr 2004 19:58
Thanks a lot The new version is looking even better thankfully and is moving along nicely - demo soon I hope

I have already got the multiplayer working - the game can work with a controller, or a selection of two keysets.

I have no alternating player one yet (having some trouble with image loading betwen levels at present) but if two players are selected, the second player takes control of the Green Yamo when it is on the screen.

I have built in jumping and ducking animation frames for the Green Yamo in Enhanced Mode which allow him to jump properly and duck too -the Classic Mode version doesn't allow ducking for the Yamo of course as per the original.

It's quite therapeutic to select two player mode and kick the stuffing out of the ninja as the Yamo

CosMind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2004 02:02
scousknight, i am by no means a programmer ( actually, i'm a professional game designer ). however, a couple of weeks ago, i decided to try and learn db on my own - so that i could directly prototype character packages and concepts.
i jimmy-rigged together a sick little 2d character package, and desire to take it to the next level [ what can i say, this coding business can get addictive ]

anyway, i've completely hit a brick wall, now. i wan't to create world collision for my active characters ( player, enemies, projectiles, etc. ). i, for the life of me, cannot figure out how to make it work properly. i've scoured the forums for the past 4 days, and everyone makes it sound like it's cake. well, maybe it is... for programmers... but, lo, i am not one. i've seen all your thread on your bruce lee reduex, and figured you'd be the fella to ask about this stuff.

so, is there any way at all that you can help school me in the art of making character collide with platforms? i.e. be able to stand and move atop them, be stopped by walls, be carried by moving platforms, etc., etc.
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2004 02:19
CosMind - I have a really neat way of doing this now - I'll put together a small tutorial for you on it - better explained this way rather than force-feeding you with a load of code!!

In a nutshell, I use sprites for the "collision zones" - which can be walls, floors, ladders e.t.c.

Look out for an e-mail soon.

CosMind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2004 02:24
good shot!
i cannot thank you enough. i've been fighting to keep my brain from exploding the last few days while trying to figure this out...

consider yourself the instrument in keeping this man's brain as one solid chunk of grey matter
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2004 21:19
E-mail sent with the tutorial - hope it helps you out.

CosMind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 02:25
i just ran into one stumbling block while reading over the pdf.

in the section detailing definition of collision zones, it says to jot down the topleft, topright, bottomleft, and bottomright coordinates of the "walls". well, looking at the image, i see only single sides of walls circled in red. i'm not quite sure where the "...left" and "...right" comes in. reading the coordiantes, i cannot piece it together, either.

what am i missing?
CosMind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 02:54
gah...
nevermind...

just figured it out. silly me...

you are defining a wall as a single pixel width.

on i shall roll
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 02:55 Edited at: 19th Apr 2004 03:08
The circles are just there to illustrate where the walls are - the top,left,bottom and right are just physical screen coordinates - think of it like drawing a box around the edges of the walls - the box will be one or two pixels thin but will be as deep as the walls are deep.

If you load the image into an art package - and you move your mouse pointer around the image, the x and y coordinates are the things you are jotting down - so you move it to the top left of your wall, make a note of the x and y values, and then move the moust pointer to the bottom right of the wall and do the same.

Edit : I had already started posting when your's hit the forum - glad you got it sorted.

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 03:07
I've got a build ready for some feedback - the only thing I cannot test with this is the joystick as I don't have one that works!

You can download it directly from http://www.skgpl.co.uk/projects/brucelee/BruceLeeDemo.zip or if you want, from my website http://www.skgpl.co.uk/projects/brucelee/index.html

I keep the website updated as to where things are up to - but I tend to post here too so it doesn't matter which way you go about getting it!

This one has the multiplayer support - I have included two keysets and joystick (controller) support - the keys are :

Key Set 1 - Arrow Keys and CTRL
Key Set 2 - W,A,S,D and Space Bar
Controller - Directions and Fire 1

The known bug in this one is the lanterns are not respecting which player you are - player one can collect lanterns and they don't appear for player two.

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 13:51
check your mail scout, first shot arrived

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2004 14:25
Ah cheers for that - I'll check it as soon as I get home

Code Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2004 01:48
Quote: "code ninja-...do i have to tell you again?
"

more than likely

Dragael Software
Current Project: 2D RPG Editor (DragnEdit 2D)
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2004 02:23
Has anyone tried the latest build with a controller or joystick - it's the only part I cannot test.

Another build due out any day now - some more tweaks and hopefully if all goes well another level too - only two levels behind where I was when I lost all my source - but mutiplayer and two game modes in place so I'm perhaps a little ahead even...

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2004 03:00 Edited at: 20th Apr 2004 03:02
I have another two demo movies of the latest build :

[href]http://www.skgpl.co.uk/movies/Bruce Lee - Classic.wmv[/href]

This movie shows the game's Classic Mode off - it looks, sounds and plays like the Commodore 64 version of the game.

[href]http://www.skgpl.co.uk/movies/Bruce Lee - Enhanced.wmv[/href]

This movie shows not only the Enhance Mode, but also the two-player mode as well - forgive my skills here I had to control both players myself - I ain't exactly Liberace on the keys!! But it does show the mode off at least.

The frame rates and visuals are not indicative of the real thing - but it's an idea of how things are progressing.

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2004 02:27 Edited at: 21st Apr 2004 02:34
Updated screenshots - being doing some work with Freddix on the Enhanced Mode graphics - the rusty coloured sections and ramparts are Freddix' handywork - I've added a different mountain backdrop, and amended the level backgrounds to give them more life.

Figure 1 : Current game mode selection screen

Figure 2 : Level one with new background and new lanterns too (forgot to mention those) - they all flash randomly selected colours.

Figure 3 : Level two with new background (this is actually level 2 after the plug hole opens to go down to the underground levels - so it's perhaps level 4..)

More updates as and when Freddix gives me more graphics - and also when I have a few more levels (working on first subterranean level now).

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2004 09:08
I tried it with my joystick, and little Bruce was just running all over like crazy. I use an analog PS2 controller (though a USB adaptor), and it didn't work even in digital mode (no analog stick)... Bruce seemed to always want to run either left or right, even if I wasn't pressing anything...

the Joystick x() function returns a value between -1000 and 1000, so I would suggest only moving left or right if abs(joystick x()) > 800 or something like that.

otherwise, excellent game!! nice implementation, good graphics and interface!! nice to see a game nearing completion for a change

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2004 09:42
Cheers Walaber I'll make the necessaery adjustments and the next build should be a lot better - thanks for trying it out - I must source myself a controller.

Scouseknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 03:56
Two new screenshots of progress.

Figure 1 : First subterranean level - Classic Mode

Figure 2 : First subterranean level - Enhanced Mode

I've altered the Bruce sprite a little - more definition and different coloured ghi trousers.

I've also altered the Ninja graphic - it's now roughly the same size as the original sprite in the original game but I think it looks too small - what do you fellas think?

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 11:55
heh
you no more need my help for graphics as I see the results are excellents !!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-13 01:15:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-13 01:15:26