Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / NAv - Windows workstation system

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2004 16:35
NAv is a cool little program/system which runs inside of windows. I originally intended to create an operating system, but this is next best thing. (Im currently making it - I had some pictures, but I lost them from my disc!)

What's so good about NAv?
--------------
@ Email friends, print documents and code your latest games from within the same RELIABLE environment

@ Create and edit easy to use scripts that ru within NAv

@ NAv can even start when you start your computer

@ Any DB or DBPRO game will work INSIDE of NAv

Want your game/program in the first release of NAv?
Reply here!
<Please moderators! Can you keep this thread open for a while>

IMAGE HAS DISAPPEARED
TheOneRing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2004 16:43
So is it an editor, shell replacement, what?
Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2004 20:18
download link? or is this a prank? late april fool?

PC Spec- AMD Duron 1.3Ghz, GeForce FX5200 128mb, 384MB of ram, Win XP Home SP1

Flick that switch...*BANG*...Not that one!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2004 22:21
In other words it's a secure shell that runs INSIDE of Windows? That's impossible; if it's inside, it's no more secure than Windows is. As for email-- I suppose you managed to interface perfectly with Windows' internet and networking connection database?

April Fools I'm betting.

Code Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2004 01:47
Hmmm... another "UserNet" like program... with email benefits... joy... sounds cool, though. Did you make it in DBC/DBPro or did you program it in C++, Delphi, C#, VB, etc?

Dragael Software
Current Project: 2D RPG Editor (DragnEdit 2D)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2004 05:34
... what the hell is it?

Athlon64 FX-51 | 1.5Gb DDR2 PC3400 | GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 56.60 | DirectX9.1 SDK | Audigy2 | Windows XP 64-Bit
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2004 05:49
drugs!!!

Welcome to the Electric Funeral!!!
*creeps back into the Abyss*
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2004 08:36
Quote: "... what the hell is it?"

its stupid

Amist the Blue Skies...
DWR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2004 16:16
No its not stupid. Its still being built, and uses specially coded DLL's to send and revieve emails, print, access serial ports, use RAR compression and advanced memory systems. Plus: No, its not a prank etc. and it DOES gain stability as compared to windows, OK, it may not make sense, but my program/thing does gain stability by using its own program executer. Screenshots etc. are coming soon, and if you wish to contribute a program that comes readily installed with (and runs inside of)NAv, just post a reply.

IMAGE HAS DISAPPEARED
TheOneRing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2004 16:43 Edited at: 21st Apr 2004 16:43
Quote: "but my program/thing does gain stability by using its own program executer"

What exactly are you doing to make it more stable? Considering that Windows handles the loading, memory relocation, virtual address space, etc... of PE format executables, what are you doing? What I'd like to know is what this is, and what it does for me as a Windows developer.

Quote: "uses specially coded DLL's"

I thought there was only one kind... (yes I know there are various ways to make them, but they all end up the same format).

Just curious for more info than a bunch of marketing words...
DWR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 16:14
Spceially coded meant that they were made especially for this project!

IMAGE HAS DISAPPEARED
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 17:08
I repeat... WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!
Cause right now it sounds like Outlook o_O

AthlonXP 2500+ | 256MB DDR PC2700 | GeForce FX 5700 60.18 | DirectX 9.0b | CMedia 8620 | Windows XP Professional
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2004 17:15 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2004 17:16
In addition, what on earth does this have to do with DBPro?

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keeping it Unreal since 2004
the desktops
Years of Service
User Offline
haha this is a funny thread

Soul Shooter Online
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 01:06
yeah, so was your thread

Amist the Blue Skies...
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2004 20:05
What a great joke

11/10

Just to add to the confusion.
Look at my avatar
Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 05:10 Edited at: 13th May 2004 05:19
Yeah.. if you want to replace the windows shell.. fsking replace it ya know.. Don't write a DarkBasic game that runs over it, otherwise its just as useless and annoying as aol. It ~cannot~ be more secure or stable than windows itself, that is simply ignorant. Learn a little c++ and assembly and replace explorer.exe, then you may raise some brows.

In my opinion, you tried to write an os, found out it was 'hard' and decided to do this.. may sound mean but its kinda sad.

(And before you call me a hypacrit)

"I LIKE MARSHMELLOWS!" - Homestar Runner
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 14:09
How about using what you have to create something really useful?. I mean we have email already, we have Dos windows, and we can run our programs by double clicking them.

When you work in a team, it can be a nightmare to keep inter-team emails small when sending media or code, mainly because it's difficult to keep track and you end up re-sending things over and over. How about a sorta remote shared directory system where each file is tracked for changes and only the updated files are sent when necessary. Like maybe once a week each team member would run your app to check over the project folder for changes, then automatically email the other team members with the amendments. If you have nice RAR support you could make this very easy for them. Backing up automatically would win you a lot of friends too. I suppose what I'm really suggesting is a team project manager, where you can communicate with your team members easily as well as keep the project on track. You could even use it to indicate your projects progress, like by counting source code line numbers and counting media files and their sizes - would never be exact but it might be good for pre-empting slow periods and maybe allowing the team leader to inject some enthusiasm and keep things smooth.

Give it some thought huh?

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
DWR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 16:05 Edited at: 13th May 2004 16:08
Thanks for the comments. AND: to Dreq934: I have C++ 'introductory edition' whcih is absolutely useless and contains no help what-so ever, so I cannot code in it, in addition, what the hell is that picture of?. Plus, Van B - I may consider your idea... So thank you very much.

IMAGE HAS DISAPPEARED
Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2004 23:07
That is a picture of my OS. Obviously it doesn't do very much but even hardware/bios detection takes a while to learn and code at the same time. C++ is extreamly simple compared to writing an OS. But that is besides the point. If you want to create something like this, have fun, but don't expect people to get excited about it.

TheOneRing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 02:09
Any chance of seeing the ASM code for the BIOS querying code? The most I've ever done is load an intermediate loader application. Haven't even got the switch to Protected Mode to work quite yet...

Visit http://www.mighty-atom.com/d-zone for the Transform-i scripting engine project.
Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 03:03
Its not very fun. In order to sucesffully make it into 32-bit mode, your GDT(s) must be set up. Also your segment selectors also need to be set up correctly. You can take a peek at my source, but please, for hte love of god, don't copy-pase.. I've spent an unreasoable ammount of time on this project, I don't feel like it getting stolen and me having to close the source

http://jfos.digitalneo.net/

I haven't worked on it for a while because i've been working 9-13 hours a day with one day off a week, gotta get used to that first .

And one for the records:

TheOneRing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 18:21
Interesting code. And don't worry about me stealing it... I'm not doing any kind of project for fun or pay! Just like to dabble in low-level OS concepts... Made a small boot loader using NASM on Linux. Like I said, didn't get far...

Just fun to mess around.

Visit http://www.mighty-atom.com/d-zone for the Transform-i scripting engine project.
TheOneRing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 18:28
Here's my boot code and IPL code... Not very great, as this was my first real attempt at ASM and boot code development...

Anyone can do what they want with it.

WARNING: This code performs low-level floppy and boot operations. Use with caution. I am NOT responsible for any stupid things you do!

IPL (Intermediate Program Loader)

All it does (ready?) is display "Hello! My OS!". Oooh... Ahhhh...

Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 03:36 Edited at: 15th May 2004 03:38
That code could not possibly work O_O bios loads the code at 0x7C00, imo that code would crash the cpu or give errors. Are you using a linker after-the-fact? And pff, bios coding is easy ITs fun when you are in 32 bit mode because bios doesn't work . Try writing a print routine without bios .

TheOneRing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2004 17:57
Actually, that code does run. Compiled it using NASM on Mandrake Linux 9 and raw-wrote it to a floppy. Liek I said, pretty simple and crummy though... And yeah, I did some direct screen writes in C back in my DOS days... the 0xA000 address thing... Been a long time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 20:32:29
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 20:32:29